/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2017/09/19/launching-pipewire/
help.ubuntu.com/community/RemoveOldKernels
gnu.org/help/help.html
youtube.com/watch?v=D_iEnZf8hvc
youtube.com/watch?v=bvPvoNg9HME
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Install void

You misspelled Exherbo.

More bullshit from (((Red Hat))), this time it's a media (((system))) meant to replace PulseAudio, Jack, and handle video as well! Of course it's going to be heavily baked into Gnome and its Wayland implementation. Expect your 'apps' to hard depend on Pipewire next year and enjoy being Red Hat's beta tester!
blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2017/09/19/launching-pipewire/

whos larry?

install gentoo

Anyone using neovim? Any reason to still use vim?

>mfw trying to get debian to recognize my 860m

How do I become a GNU/Linux master and start contributing to the OS?

install gentoo

spam threads with screenfetch and anime girl backgrounds

Invest in programming socks and women's lingerie

>replace Jack
lmfao this will never ever ever happen

Hey guise are tech support questions allowed?
My Ubuntu /boot/ partition is full of old kernels and I can't update
I tried clearing out the old images with
>sudo dpkg --force-all -P {name of old image}
but that borks apt-get and when I do
>sudo apt-get -f install
to resolve it, it wants to use more space than I have
Am I pretty much fucked? I don't think I can resize if the main partition is encrypted

>Anyone using neovim?

Yep.

>Any reason to still use vim?

Vi compatibility? GVim?

Use ":h nvim-features-removed" to see the major missing things.

tech support is mandatory
make these useless neckbeards helpful

help.ubuntu.com/community/RemoveOldKernels

You could just go into /boot and delete the old kernels.

One of the main advantages of not using babby distros is that you actually know what system files you can fuck around with.

I've read the documentation. Unfortunately the documentation assumes that clearing out the old kernels will free up enough disk space. In this case, following the instructions requires more space than physically available.

See The old kernels are gone. The problem is what happens after that when I try to fix dependencies.

Trying to have mpv open an iso from file manager
I have this as a .desktop file so far but all it does its open mpv but not load the iso.
Am i missing something here? Is there another way to do so?
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=MPV ISO
Exec=/usr/bin/mpv --player-operation-mode=pseudo-gui --dvd-device=%U
Icon=mpv
Terminal=false
Categories=AudioVideo;Audio;Video;Player;TV;

It's because you're not clearing out everything that depends on those kernels. When you go back to fix your system, it tries to reinstall the kernels because obviously things still depend on them.

What you should've done is omitted the --force-all flag on your dpkg command. That would've popped up the dependencies, which you could've then deleted.

How can I delete an existing MKV cover and replace it with another using mkvpropedit?

stupid question but i have no need to dual boot anymore, i have installed arch on my laptop and i would like to have my second harddrive on my desktop 100% free so whats the easiest way i should go about this?

To do what?

Thanks. I guess I'll try letting it try to reinstall everything until it runs out of space, and then try it without the --force-all

I assume the alternative is to figure out hundreds of dependencies manually which I'm obviously not going to do. Everything is backed up so if this doesn't work I'll just wipe and install something else. Maybe Debian, that worked fine for me for a good 3-4 years before I decided to try something "different"

A wallpaper for all of you friendly Gnu-Linux users.
I know thos are not gnus, but are still pretty.

My system is 100% gnu free, this includes my desktop
Nice try stallman

i'm trying to "revert" the dual boot, i'll never use it since i have linux on it's own machine now. i've looked online and i keep seeing system repair disc or whatever but i'm reading you need a product key to finish the repair process which i don't have / don't want to buy.

What the fuck is your goal here?
>revert
What the fuck are you talking about? Just fucking dont use it and overwrite it with shit you do want

You know, revert. As in "kindly do the needful and revert solution promptly. The system goes live tomorrow"

Since you haven't gotten responses in 3 threads, consider going to or asking someone in one of the many tech support places on the internet.

To help you get on your way, please try to clearly state what it is you're trying to do. If you're trying to open a single .iso file from the file manager, it would probably make more sense to just open it via the "Open with..." command that almost every file manager uses. Speaking of which, please clarify which file manager you're using and what kind of .iso this is (is this from a disc you've inserted or is it a file on your system?).

b-but what will happen to grub?

thank you all for being nice all the time I love all of you

Late comment, thanks for the help kind user, but typing the package name in terminal returns nothing and I searched through root and couldn't find it either. However I did find the source files in /var/lib/pacman/local/dolphin-megasync-git-blahblah, and the .tar.gz at /var/cache/pacman/pkg.

Gonna drop this here in the hopes someone has an answer.

>it would probably make more sense to just open it via the "Open with..."
Doing this makes a 2 hour iso(correctly mounted with --dvd-device= via command line its the full length) only last 7 minutes.
Mpv is not reading it as an iso and is reading it as some other media type. If using the command switch it works properly(as excepcted). My issue here if you read my post, would be creating a .desktop file that opens iso files properly.
>command that almost every file manager uses
They do this with .desktop files within /usr/share/applications.
>Speaking of which, please clarify which file manager you're using
Any of them.
>what kind of .iso this is
Its an iso file, you know the ones that end in ".iso" that reside on within the filesystem

Breh, windows can't write to ext4 partitions. If that is indeed what the screenshot shows.

Try making the note in Windows, and accessing it in Linux.

i got this working guys
i now have to enter primusrun every time i want something to use my discrete graphics
is there any way i can automate everything to run this in the terminal when i open an application through the gui or a way to turn off my integrated graphics entirely?

How would I go about setting up per workspace keybinds in i3?

for example, on workspace 1 $SUPER+ENTER would open up a local terminal but on workspace 2 it would open up a terminal SSH'd into a server..

Are you retarded?

Why wouldn't you just make a different keybind?

>If using the command switch it works properly(as excepcted)

Most file managers also have a "Choose a custom application" section where you can create a custom application (from a specific or a set of specific commands) to open a given file.

In your case, you'd want to open up that menu and then paste in what you have in the Exec line for your .desktop file.

And it does not work.
This is why i am using a desktop file.

i am considering moving to a systemd-free distro. which one do you recommend? redpill me on void linux.

>systemd-free
Are people still fighting this fight? Wasn't that like 8 years ago?

I'd like to split i3 workspaces to represent physical machines, each workspace should have the same keybinds but open applications targeted at that machine.

so have a common keybind for a terminal, vncviewer, file manger etc but depending on the workspace have it pointed at a specif server.

ntfs-3g

there are people who are actively fighting the vim-emacs war

Use %f instead of %U.

No change.

xbps-src is an excellent source-based package manager that you'll learn to get really friendly with, as you'll be building from source a lot. I would point you towards Void's documentation, except there is none.

Hello everyone. I modified the BIOS of a Chromebook (Acer 14 CB3-431) with Mr.Chrombox's firmware and installed GalliumOS instead of ChromeOS. Was this a good decision? How do you rate GalliumOS? I've had a really good experience with it but admittedly I don't really know what I'm doing.

Yeah, sort of. Although only tacitly, I think the unspoken conclusion to that battle, by sheer number of users, is Vim. Emacs will always have its niche--because it's an exceptional text editor--but the userbase is no longer in so much flux that it would encourage passionate discussion in the way that would elicit flaming and propaganda in disinformation. The dust has settled, so to speak. And now that people understand the capacity that both text editors have and where they perform best, choice isn't really swayed by debate. Because we know everything, already. I suspect that it'll be the same for systemd. It's only a matter of time.

gnu.org/help/help.html

install gentoo

Aha! A meme. Why? Why should I install Gentoo? Could you tell me?

awwww

When you don't fight, you aren't able to win.

Hey guys. I Found the perfect OS and it's not Temple OS or Gentoo. Qubes OS is simply awesome. It's designed for security and based on Xen. It starts a GNU/Linux dom0 without internet connection and system VMs sys-net and sys-firewall. It also starts app VMs for userdefined security domains, by default personal, work, untrusted and vault. All VMs are read only (except for user data) and based on template VMs. To try software simply install it and if you don't like it, restart the VM. To install something permanently in or update all VMs of a certain type, use the corresponding template VM. There are also VMs for whonix which give you an environment where all traffic is routed through tor. You can also start disposable VMs and standalone VMs i.e. running Windows or Kali Linux or use virtual networking to capture all traffic your Windows VM sends to Redmond. You can install a preconfigured version of i3wm as desktop environment for pure awesomeness.

pfSense has a feature that will give nice URL's to DHCP static maps
pfSesne is assigned the domain example.com
assign a certain device on the network to be 192.168.1.10 on the hostname "foobar"
entering foobar.example.com on the network will usually resolve to 192.168.1.10

this works for every device on my network, except for my laptop running arch linux
I can't figure out why it's having DNS issues
every once and awhile it will loose DNS and not resolve anything, but this is semi-rare and only stops working for a few seconds
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by resolvconf
# domain is changed to REDACTED for opsec
# 192.168.1.1 is the address of pfSense
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
nameserver 75.75.75.75
nameserver 75.75.76.76
domain REDACTED
nameserver 8.8.4.4
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 192.168.1.1

please to never use GNU and gentoo or larry in the same post thank for understanded

actually, ChromeOS is forked from Gentoo. So in a sense, you've already installed a Gentoo fork that's super abstracted from the source.

u want 192.168.1.1 at the top

You need to also add dvd:// before the --dvd-device option. So you'd do

/usr/bin/mpv --player-operation-mode=pseudo-gui dvd:// --dvd-device=%f

Go away rajeet.

can I edit /etc/resolv.conf and have it stick? I think I tried it in the past and it reverted

But I removed ChromeOS and installed GalliumOS.

Remove writing privileges when you're done with it.

Do you have autism?

what's the name of the DNS service?

No, but I'm a bit stupid. What did I write that was wrong?

Installed qubes yesterday after getting meme'd by some autist on /sec/, works really well even with 6 debian VMs and 1 windows 7 VM running at once.

>pic not related

do games just normally perform worse on linux even if you are using non-free drivers?

yes

>>pic not related
I like this.

pic unrelated

Do the old school Mortal Kombat Arcade games work on Linux?

MAME is multiplatform

is there any diff with the snes mortal kombat?

youtube.com/watch?v=D_iEnZf8hvc

OY VEY

It's time to face the facts. Richard Stallman is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that RMS has done after 1995 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible speech.

He demands that Linux be called GNU/Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason GNU, GPL, and FSF are still a THING is because of Linus and the invention of Linux. If anything, Stallman should rename GNU to Linux/GNU, because without Linus, the GNU, GPL, and FSF would not be a thing anymore.

Stallman still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone" right after Steve Jobs' death. What an asshole. Stallman has not even programmed a single line of code since 2008, that was AFTER he essentially stopped in 1992.

He should be fucking grateful Linus stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for Linus, he would be nothing, he would probably be dead in a Burger King dumpster right now.

Besides, what has he ever even done? He claims to have written eMacs, but in reality he actually cloned gosmacs (the first eMacs that was made for UNIX). He didn't even write 50% of the code in eMacs.

You might say he wrote GCC and GDB, but the truth is that he initally wrote the C compiler, but now the vast majority for the same compiler is done by contributors.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in the Soviet Union. Face it GNU/Freetards, Richard Stallman is a fat dickhead, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Linus's achievements.

It's time to face the facts. Linus Torvalds is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that Torvalds has done after 1991 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible blogpost on Google+.

He demands that GNU/Linux be called Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason Linux is even a THING is because of RMS and the Free Software movement. If anything, Linus should rename Linux to The GNU kernel, because this is the most common system where Linux is installed.

Linus still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "My name is Linus Torvalds and I am your god." or "I hope you all die a painful death." What an asshole. Linus wrote like the first 2 percent of Linux, everything else was developed by the community.

He should be fucking grateful RMS stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for the GPL, he would be nothing, Linux would probably still sit on some FTP, being proprietary.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in Silicon Valley. Face it Linuxers, Linus is a beardless man, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Stallman's achievements.

is the same with mk2?

Suddenly 16 GB of RAM totally make sense. I started to use VMs for everything.

>GNU is the most common system where Linux installed
>what is android

youtube.com/watch?v=bvPvoNg9HME

noice

As you can see, Arcade is always better.

Anyone have a suggestion here? MEGA isn't showing up in my application menu (KDE). Pacaur says it's installed.

So I am planning on using KVM/QEMU to virtualize Windows, I am not doing passthrough, I just want something more reliable than VirtualBox on Fedora.

Is there any way to get some basic 3D acceleration going? Otherwise it will be as slow as molasses.

install botnetware

after you passthrough a gpu to a vm, how easy is it to get it back on the host os?

wat

just enable the gpu and restart.

What can linux do that windows can't?

Linux isnt malware,everything you do isnt recorded and sent to HQ

Keep the user safe and secure?

I need help.
I did CTRL+X some hours ago on my Debian PC, moving an important folder I had to a thumb drive, so I could put the files on another Debian PC I have.

But, when I inserted the thumb drive on the second PC, it was shown as blank. Inserting the drive on the first PC shows it as blank too. The space on the disk is certainly occupied, as I can see on properties, but I cannot see any file on graphical nor terminal, nor sudo, nor normal user.

I've been trying for some hours, and I don't have any clue about how to make the files appear again. Undeleting them on the PC was tried, without sucess. My thumb drive is partitioned as NTFS.