/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL leak in many colors, have prices revealed
gsmarena.com/google_pixel_2_xl_leaks_in_two_colors_will_start_at_849-news-27360.php

Gionee announces mid-range X1s smartphone in India
gsmarena.com/gionee_announces_midrange_x1s_smartphone_in_india-news-27358.php

Huawei Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro pricing leaks
gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_10_mate_10_pro_pricing_leak-news-27353.php

Second Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 flash sale set for September 21
gsmarena.com/second_xiaomi_mi_mix_2_flash_sale_set_for_september_21-news-27344.php

Sony Xperia XZ1 arrives in the US
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz1_arrives_on_amazon-news-27357.php

Official: Moto G4 Plus will get Android 8.0 Oreo after all
gsmarena.com/official_moto_g4_plus_will_get_android_80_oreo_after_all-news-27332.php

Android Oreo update for Essential Phone coming soon
gsmarena.com/android_oreo_update_for_essential_phone_coming_soon-news-27340.php

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dKk7F9uEWJ8
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note8-review-1659p10.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for U11, still best flagship

GUYS PLS WHATS YOUR OPINION ON GALAXY C5 PRO? ANYONE GOT IT IN HERE?

Is there a bezelless, OLED, 5.5"+ phone with a 4Ah battery and a 3.5mm jack yet? I don't care how much it costs. No jack is a hard pass, the rest is flexible. The original Mi Mix fits most of it but I'm not sure if it's smart to buy a phone that just got replaced.

S8 Active

i have ever got a damn answer to my question, are lg phones still boot looping or not

No

How is the OnePlus 5? Is it the premier phone I want to have if I want to root and start using custom roms again?

Is there any news on the LG V30 US price?

is it worth buying a oneplus phone if I dont care about installing custom roms?

Is the 5s still worth it?

what is a good lg phone for the price range of 150-300 bucks im kinda considering one.

no
get an SE, they're < $200 online

what phones have near stock android?

Just wait for the flagships to go down in price in a few months. You will have your chance then.

But if i couldn't get the se...would the 5s still be worth it?

Any recs for a phone

no its too old.

i think youll have an easier time getting the SE anyway

So does the Mi A1 Mexico edition work with US LTE bands?

what's the best phone for running lineageos on, price is irrelevant

Pixel 2 XL? You'll also have support for Copperhead.

Does anyone make a phone with top tier specs that DOESN'T have a camera?
It's honestly something I never use at all, and with everyone making such a big deal about them, it's sure to put a huge dent in the price of top tier phone.
I know I'm not alone with this.

Femanon here

Try the new Xiaomi A1 'presented by Google' phone. It runs Android One which is basically stock with promises of regular updates at least until Android P

Rawr.

I can get a Galaxy s6 for $170, is it worth it or is there a phone better for less than $180

Is the galaxy s8 still infected with touchjizz? I thought I wanted something stock android but the s8 seems to be not that much more expensive than the v20 I was eyeballing and it will likely have much better specs.

I guess I am asking for advice so I'm in US, carrier is US Cellular (unlocked preferred), features I want are fucking headphone jack and SD card slot. Removable battery if possible.

>samshit
>expecting something other than touchjizz
poor user

Well I stopped following smart phones because I didn't need one. I thought I remembered them saying they were abandoning touchjizz

Which one is snappier and smoother: Lineage, Paranoid, or slim? I want to say it would be slim, but I don't know anymore at this point.

They call it something else now, it's the same shit though.

BLACKED

How much longer until i can buy a lg 30?

youtube.com/watch?v=dKk7F9uEWJ8

Does the Note 8 lag/stutter like any other Samsung?

so if i want to get an android based phone in the US purely for dev work, dont even want to make calls on it, what's a good place to start?

I've own a Galaxy S6 since mid 2016, should I just buy an iPhone X in red because fuck it?
Does it even come in red? fuck it I want ti red.

Usually the Project Red phones launch later than the originals, but there's a rumor going around about a red iphone X on launch

>Want to upgrade from my Galaxy S4
>Note 8 looks neat, but like fuck I'm paying more than a K
>BlackBerry KEYone looks functional enough with plenty of buttons, but is weak as fuck
>LG G6 seems pretty good, barely works on my network

Why is it so hard to find a phone with a decent amount of on-board storage, SD card support, some actual power under the hood that won't cost more that I'd spend on a new computer?

I hope, I want a red iPhone X

You can turn the Note 8 into a desktop anyway, just trade in a phone for 300

iphone se with maxed memory is cheap

Why is everyone shilling for this phone?

It's the new meme, and people here spend too much time circlejerking about phones.

what the cocks

Verizon contract ending at end of October, looking to upgrade from my shitxus 6 to a better one, hearing Sony xperia xz premium is pretty good, should i buy or other phone that any would recommend?

iphone 7 or pixel?

or the se

when the fuck is the V30 coming out, have to wait for that then the price drop just release it already LG fuck you

Of course it does. Samsung didn't change touchjizz overnight. It's still the most bloated skin any OEM put on their devices.

I have a note 8 but want high quality audio, am I better off buying a dedicated music player or should I get a V30 and run 2 phones?

7, pixel is a meme

>Buy Second Hand OnePlus 3T
>Buy New Redmi Note 4
>Wait for Redmi Note 5

pick one

why are the pixel 2 and pixel 2xl made by different manufactures? shouldn't the be the same phone, but different sizes? using different manufactures make them seem like different phone lines entirely

I want a phone with godlike battery life. What should I get?

only one option

After owning an xperia Z5 I can safely say I'll not get another Sony smartphone for a very long time.

lenovo p2

Need new Android browser that doesn't phone home, any suggestions?

fuuuuck I really want one of the bezeless samsung phones or the apple x but flagships are so fucking expensive nowadays. probably gonna pick up a phone6 or a s7. recon the next gen of bezeless will be worth flagship prices

Is it worth getting a £25 per month contract for 24 months for the honor 9?

you'll be paying $800 for a $370 phone so probably not

I have a spare Galaxy S5 which is slow as shit, plan on flashing LineageOS for hopefully better performance but don't actually have plans for it. Any ideas on what to do with a spare device?

I'd buy the RN4 and install LineageOS. It's cheap as fuck; you literally can't go wrong with it.

If you have money to spare then there is always the Mi A1 with stock Android.

Is Lenovo Vibe K6 worth even bothering, is it good for it's price?

Nope

What good smartphones in 150~200$ range?

Redmi Note 4 Global

>rooting or flashing a custom ROM on a non nexus device is a hassle and troublesome

is this statement true

What about Redmi Note 3 3/32GB w/ snap 650?

Well it's still a fine phone but I'd get the Note 4 unless the Note 3 is significantly cheaper.

>Buy note 8

This

Depends on the manufacturer. Xiaomi has you jumping through hoops to even unlock the bootloader...

Not on Oneplus or Motorola phones at least. It's just as simple as on Nexus phone's

Moto G5 Plus headphone jack is getting fucky, headphones keep disconnecting and reconnecting every few seconds. My headphones are fine, and they work with my PC.

I still have warranty, should I just give it in and get a new phone?

The note8 DAC is already among the best in Android devices.

I highly doubt you'd notice any difference between the Note8 and V30. Any super high end headphones would require using an external headphone amplifier anyway. Neither phone will have enough power to drive electrostatic or planar magnetic drivers, etc.

Unless you're autistic just pickup a 128 or 256GB mSD for the Note8.

>tfw Moto said Nougat would roll out for the G4 Play starting in June
>almost October and it still isn't here
I just can't

i need a new phone
200 or less euros
good battery

Redmi Note 4 Global or Lenovo P2

thanks for the advice user

this
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note8-review-1659p10.php

Just got my Xiaomi Mi Note 2 today.

look at it's price competition, and it becomes pretty obvious the v30 is the best android smartphone at the high-end

>s8, note 8, s8 plus
bixby sucks
touchwiz is awful

>essential
awful camera
no headphone jack

Don't throw the Note8 in there, it's the only phone with a Stylus, and if you don't want the Stylus you should just get the S8 or S8+ and save $100-250+.

The Note8 is in it's own niche and isn't particularly directly comparable to the V30 (but has better specs anyway so in a straight 1 to 1 shootout the Note8 is clearly the "better" device).

so if I were to get any of those phones from my current four year old one, I'd get noticeable audio improvement on headphones regardless of what I pick?

Yea pretty much, the LGV30 will be technically slightly better but in A/B testing I doubt you'd even notice between most of those phones.

Anyone know what the fuck this icon on the right is on my notification bar?

What's the lag?
I'm new to touchwiz and I don't notice anything.

I asked that a few threads ago and someone said there won't be any difference

Best smartphone for around 400 - 500 AUD budget? Must be brand new.

It's still touchwiz, so yeah there is going to be a bit of lag compared to something like The Pixel XL on vanilla android.

But the Note8 has far more features built in, if you aren't going to use the Spen, then it's a waste of money for you.

Isn't that what I just said?
>in A/B testing I doubt you'd even notice between most of those phones

Switching from iPhone 6 Plus to note 8 tomorrow
Is the note any good? I don't care about the price or that I could get an s8 plus for way cheaper
Never used an android before btw

no I meant compared to my current four year old phone

Because it's the best iteration of bezelless design yet:
>no curved edges
>no cutouts
>symmetric bezels

Also, unlike the S8 it gets the fingerprints sensor placement right, and comes with a high-end DAC.

Note8 is pretty good. Your biggest issue will be getting used to Android in general more than any specific peculiarities about the Note8. Spend a solid week or so just trying to learn the OS before you "review" your phone for yourself.

Note8 is pretty much the top android phone you can buy currently, but because of samsung's touchwiz skin it's going to occasionally hiccup with performance. But 99% of the time it's smooth as butter. The screen is out of this world compared to the iPhone.

Anyone who pretends there is no difference in audio quality from a 4 year old phone to one of today's flagships is retarded.
Are you going to notice with $20 earbuds? Probably not. But if you've got decent $100+ headphones the newer phone is going to provide louder volume levels and likely a larger range of supported file formats.

I doubt a phone from 4 years ago has FLAC or DSD playback support for example.

>unlike the S8 it gets the fingerprints sensor placement right, and comes with a high-end DAC
There isn't really a difference in the DAC quality that anyone would notice. Unless you're coming from an old device. The S8/S8+ and Note8 DACs are all very good and right up there with the V30 DAC.

The finger print sensor placement just depends how you hold the device and how long your fingers are. I personally dont have any issue, but my wife switched to the Iris scanner because the finger print scanner placement didn't work well for her hands.

>There isn't really a difference in the DAC quality that anyone would notice.
Unless you own and use high end IEM.

True, but MOST people don't own IEMs that would rival the cost of their phone, and those who DO own those IEMs generally prefer using their custom DAP/DAC/Amp setup or use their phone with an external DAC/Amp.

what s8 case supports wireless charging well and doesn't look like shit
i'm returning pic related because it charges, but at an extremely slow pace

Does it charge faster without the case on?

I have a Spigen case on my Note5 and on my new Note8 and both charge just fine with the case on or off. No difference in speed.

>no stereo speaker
>no minimum Android skin like Oxygen OS
>no OIS on the telephoto lens

Into the trash it goes.