Computer cases

What happened to computer cases ?

I don't mean the aesthetics, but the build quality.
There is a store near my house that is the equivalent of goodwill for tech stuff. You can find everything from ham radios to ESD mats, to brand new sealed pentium iii, scsi drives, and all sorts of other shit. I bought a computer case that must have been made in the 90's for about 10 dollars, and it feels 10 times sturdier than anything you can buy today . The side panels are thick as shit, ZERO flex, and it's uncomfortably heavy . it feels extremely overbuilt , and i miss cases like this.

I dont' know what case it is , but i can upload a picture if you want to guess

What happened to fucking almost everything, not just computer cases? Everything will fall apart soon.

what happened is everything is chinkshit now.

hardware like cpu/gpu/ram are of a much higher quality i think . cases are different, and much easier to skimp on quality since nobody benchmarks cases.

Just because you can find cheap, high quality shit at thrift stores today does not mean it was cheap, high quality shit when it was produced.

It was likely expensive, high quality shit when it was produced.

seems about right
bad shit breaks good shit lasts (or was made in high enough numbers to guarantee survivors)

Oolala tgat is tres aexy user

>liking heavy cases
What is wrong with you OP

it's a desktop though .

Still, why? You build it, you put it wherever. You don't touch it. And if you do touch it, why want the extra weight? I much prefer lighter cases, at least you can carry them arround without throwing your back out.

i agree picking it up is a pain in the ass

my thermaltake v2 has zero flex with every single panel removed.

maybe you just keep buying garbage.

i'm not talking about the case itself flexing.
i mean the side panel doesn't flex

oh, i guess I don't have that problem either aside from the meme window and the front intake

>i miss cases like this
Ugh, I don't. Cheap-ass, gross feeling steel with 10lbs of gaudy plastic finishing off the ugly late 90's aesthetics. If a case isn't all aluminum these days I don't even consider it.

I'm an Abee/Lian Li man and I ain't going back.

Youre buying shit cases.
I have a case from the 90s that I can fold in half with my bare hands, and I have several cases from the late 2000s all the way up to a 2016 case and I have stood on all of them (6' 200lbs).
Stop buying the shittiest case you can. Look at the specs find out what material it is and how thick it is.

>hardware like cpu/gpu/ram are of a much higher quality i think
Only the obvious parts that gaymers think are important (aka: mostly design crap)
meanwhile shit like pic related happens

things like manufacturing process and qc are much better now than they were. not perfect but far better than before .

>What happened to computer cases ?
They got better in many ways - but I agree build quality has been going down.

I have this case - except that I no longer have that door because it broke off years and years ago.

It's heavy and solid and I am fairly sure I've had mine more than 20 years. But there are some big disadvantages. First of all, it's using 80mm fans - like all cases from that area. 120mm or 140mm is better simply because you can push more air at lower speeds. Further, it's got room for 6 HDDs inside and those are in metal trays that are connected to the case by metal. This makes it REALLY noisy if you fill the HDD trays and it also makes it very noisy in general because you're forced to use 80mm fans.

Mine is actually working NAS for movies with a 6 3 TB drives RAID6. It's really loud. That's fine since I mostly turn it on and copy some files to or from it and then I turn it off again. It's like a huge external hard-drive. I wouldn't use this case for any modern desktop or server computer because it's loud and noisy and 80mm fans limit the airflow you can have even if they run at full speed and make the case sound like a jet-engine.

yeah the 80 mm fans and the hard drive trays are definitely the two biggest disadvantages . and even though the case is huge there isn't too much room for cable management behind the mobo

Looks like an Antec SX 1030 or similar.

Turned mine on just now.

Man this is LOUD.

4 80mm fans at around 1800 RPM and 6 HDDs really does make this thing sound so loud it's beyond funny.

My 24/7 home server is in a Define XL R2. It's also got 6 HDDs in RAID6 and it's barely possible to hear it (rubber mounts for the HDD; slow spinning 140mm fans).

Yeah, the XL R2 isn't solid steel, but it does have noise isolation and this really does make a huge difference.

Looks like it's that one - except that these were sold by various brands at the time. Th Antec SX 1030 is the exact one I have but mine was sold as Chieftec and it was also sold by a few others.