Good full-featured ES File Explorer replacement

Since ES File Explorer is pretty much adware infested cancer, does anyone here know of a FOSS Android file explorer that can also connect to SMB shares, SFTP, and FTP servers? And of course, it should respect muh freedumbs.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1523691
apkmirror.com/uploads/?q=es-file-explorer
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you find any, let me know here.

The way I see it, you have two options:
>find the apk for the latest release before the sale to cheetah mobile (4.0.2.3)
>pirate the pro version

I chose the latter. Didn't regret nothing.

But wouldn't the pro version still be ad/spyware?
I found Amaze, which seems nice and apparently has a built-in FTP server, though I haven't used it yet.
In the same vein as ES File Explorer, you might want to dump QuickPic, because it has the same threat, and replace it with something like LeafPic.

I use x-plore

Fx explorer, not foss but pretty good

Amaze
+FOSS
+Fdroid
+dark theme

>Since ES File Explorer is pretty much adware infested cancer
And you just found that? Damn, its been like 2 years already, just install an old version and disable automatic updates for it

not FOSS to my knowledge, but MiXplorer is pretty damn good

>the sale to cheetah mobile
Didn't realize that was the reason it turned into crap until now. It all makes sense now.

While I'd definitely prefer FOSS software, it's not mandatory, since Android itself has non-FOSS components.

I was kind of out of the loop when the news broke, and it's not like they talk about it forever.

Is FDroid safe?

RIP

Fdroid is safe, but just be aware what permissions apps asks

Thing is, ES is the only one that lets me write to SD card over FTP. Ever since Kit-kat (I think) SD cards have been blocked, even on rooted devices.

I tried like 5 different FTP applications from F-droid but ES is the only thing that worked for me.

Cool. And I'm (usually) not dumb enough to install adware (not including cases like CCleaner)

>Ever since Kit-kat (I think) SD cards have been blocked, even on rooted devices.
I've run into that issue in other cases, what the hell is the justification for that?

Same, xplore is... sufficiently okay.

I still miss the old ES though.

>have old apk that's been resigned so the Play Store doesn't try to update it
>can't download Zip plugin
Help

i remember when ES didn't have bloat back then and motivated me to buy the app to support the dev. Now i can't believe how much bloat it has

OI File Manager. FOSS, supported, just werks

yeah, it does everything I need it to, just doesn't look pretty

Asus File Manager

S o l i d
o
l
i
d

Solid explorer
MiXplorer
There are more i just dont remember

The only issue I have with amaze is it stalling and then crashing when accessing a folder with over 50k items over smb.

What do you think about Astro?
It's the first I got with my first smartphone, and never really thought about shopping around.
Should I consider other options or Astro is good enough to not warrant the time spent looking for a marginally better alternative?

I use TotalCommander.
Not FOSS but there simply is no good FOSS file manager with SCP support.

Solid explorer. By far the best.

cheetah even made the original dev put out a social media post explaining how it wouldn't be jewed up. poor shmuck had to work for those chinabucks

I just paid the 99c for Solid Explorer because it's great and i don't like wasting time downloading hundreds of file explorers until i find the one i like.

ES file explorer

Does it support SMB 2.0? I'm looking for one specifically that supports it since it's what we use at the office.

It's not FOSS, but Asus ZenUI File Manager is pretty nice.

Does it support sftp?

I switched to Solid Explorer a little while back. Less bloat, like old ES.

MiXplorer. No ads, it has extensions and themes. And it's free

The SMB 2.0 extension costs bucks though.

Everything except MiXplorer is fucking shit.

Have you tested Total Commander?

This.

I like so much the old version of ES that I still use it, i just wanted a FOSS file explorer like and said with SMB and FTP support.

>(4.0.2.3)
Source?
I think higher versions are safe, you can know if your version is compromised if you have baidu folder in your device.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1523691

>I think higher versions are safe, you can know if your version is compromised if you have baidu folder in your device.
It isn't just the baidu folder. The whole app has become bloated with ads and unnecessary "features"
>>(4.0.2.3)
>Source?
List of versions apkmirror.com/uploads/?q=es-file-explorer

Solid Explorer is the best imo. MiXplorer is decent but the Android 2.0 compatible metro design implementation sucks compared to a native one.

>he doesn't use 'airplane mode' when using ES File Explorer app to circumvent ads

Have you tried installing Xposed Framework and XInternalSD?

whats wrong with ES Pro?
I bought it and regret nothing

>want to continue supporting and enabling shitty developers

Use X-Plore file manager app, it's one of the best.
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore

>supporting
I pirated it.

You said you bought it

I did?

Solid Explorer has all you could ever want...network share support, cloud support, excellent GUI, and it's only $2.

I'm using this, too. Though it doesn't have FTP access or any of that fancy stuff. But it's FOSS, ad-free, needs only the necessary permissions (read + modify content of storage) and very lightweight (< 1 MB).