Google to acquire HTC's mobile business for $1.7B in all cash transaction

Google partners and HTC competitors Samsung, LG, and Huawei all sent letters of support promising Google that they will not challenge the transaction under anti-competition grounds in return for Google's letter of pledge to keep Android open.

Similar letters were exchanged when Google acquired Motorola Mobility in 2011.

The transaction is expected to close within days of HTC's November 14 extraordinary shareholder meeting.

R.I.P. HTC. Shouldn't have released that failure known as the HTC 10.

Will the US ever bust the Google monopoly?

Unlike Microsoft, Google was smart in portraying itself as the pro-consumer rather than being for corporations as Microsoft did. Of course, Google is more anti-consumer than Microsoft had ever been. Google has a high public reception among normies. Since people in office as just richer normies, they're still normies. Normies love Google, therefore the rich normies in govt love Google. Google is absolutely never going to be trust busted. Hell, people in the EU are HATING the EU for protecting THEIR citizens because they fined Google.

>Make the best all-rounder smartphones since 2013 with the exception of 2015
>Still loose to Samsung and it's shill department

Google buying HTC might be a great thing.
>Little to no bloatware
>Go back to the one m series roots
>Stereo front facing speakers
>Even quicker updates
Hopefully they don't go back to on screen buttons

>inb4 just buy for patents
>inb4 losing profits
>inb4 just make a few phones to make company easier to resell
>inb4 sell to lenovo
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Big name phones are dead anyways.
Chinks offer better products at a fraction of a cost and you can run Lineage OS on it.

U11 or u ultra were HTC failure
HTC 10 was a successor

I love my U11

Ultra was. U11 is the best android phone of 2017

>HTC 10
>no stereo front facing speakers
>physical home button
>no IR blaster

Just fuck my shit up, senpai.

>when Google acquired Motorola Mobility in 2011
What are they hoping to achieve that they couldn't with Motorola?

Wondering that myself. Was Motorola not as invested in China at the time as HTC is now? Perhaps Google didn't want to invest in reorganization or take the capital hit in terms of public approval. Either way, it's ironic that they sold Motorola to the Chinese and then bought a Chinese Motorola.

Google is like the Borg of patents. Assimilation and eliminating competition is their primary objective.

>Google didn't want to invest in reorganization
Surely couldn't be more expensive than getting rid of Motorola and acquiring HTC for $1,7B in all cash, could it.

Should've bought Microsoft then.

>Surely couldn't be more expensive than getting rid of Motorola and acquiring HTC for $1,7B in all cash, could it.
In terms of dollars, no. Time or public opinion, maybe?
>Should've bought Microsoft then.
I find myself trying to imagine how this could be a devious masterstroke but it does kind of feel like a mid-2000s-Microsoft sort of move.

Maybe they're trying to evade tax or launder some (a lot of) money?
Also, with the patent trolling/hoarding/whatever, they can't completely outstrip a company they buy, because no one would re-buy it later, innit?
The more I look into Google the more they stink. Not to mention the whole "Alphabet" crap. Bond villain vibe.

>Physical buttons being a bad thing.

I agree with the rest though.

>Also, with the patent trolling/hoarding/whatever, they can't completely outstrip a company they buy, because no one would re-buy it later, innit?
I can't speak as to what happened with the sale to Lenovo but usually the seller grants the buyer license to patents.

The patent motive made more sense with Motorola than with HTC, in my opinion. Maybe this purchase is for entirely different reasons; maybe HTC is now Google's Foxconn for an expanded push into hardware.

>since 2013
The Desire, Desire Z, and Desire HD were great too and they were 2010 phones
there was also that Windows phone from like 2009 that still has people making roms for it

Personal preference I guess, but I'll take stereo front speakers over a physical home button. Every HTC phone after the M9 just look like Samshit Galaxgays.

One m7 was the best

>implying gapps isn't bloatware itself
I thought Sup Forumsentlemen know better

>$1.7 billion in all cash
What the fuck. Are they going to send semis over or something.

This. really don't see the point anymore

>in return for Google pledging to keep android open
That's like, legal extortion