Why does every single messenging app suck?

Why does every single messenging app suck?
Why can't any company, or anyone just get it right?

Other urls found in this thread:

matrix.org/
github.com/wireapp/wire-server
medium.com/@wireapp/wire-server-code-now-100-open-source-the-journey-continues-88e24164309c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What features are you looking for that none of those options provide?

I just use whatever came installed on my S7. I think it's just called Messenger. It does what I ask of it.

Its depressing when i think if messenger apps i think of things like, AIM, Jabber, MSN messenger, etc. etc.

Clearly i need to get up to date with this shit.

I miss ICQ.

>Why can't any company, or anyone just get it right?
What are you looking that the current ones cant give you ?
>text, audio, video, groups,
they are all there.

They all send messages.
What else do you need from a messaging app?

>messenging
lol
so you just use SMS?

iMessage is king, nigga.

>available on phone and laptop
>works even with shitty connection and lets you send stuff
>stores logs for good
>protects you from interacting with poorfags
>memes like the drawings

Nobody, nobody outside the US uses iMessage.

Yes. I want to send texts and pictures to one person, or a small group of people, and it does that.

If I want a chatroom, I use Discord.

>What features are you looking for that none of those options provide?
Not him, but I want end-to-end crypto, a free-software license, and a lack of shady practices. Wire and Signal come the closest, but they both have server-side problems (Wire's is partially closed-source IIRC), and Moxie is a giant dickweed about using phone numbers and Google services. Both of them seem too cavalier about leaking metadata.

Prepare for jelly green bubble user replies.

You could always use Telegram. Y'know, like ISIS.

Messenger apps work mostly fine, the problem is users not sticking around.
You can get fucking good old ICQ on your phone if you want, and it would be great, but no, you need to use this popular phone exclusive owned by facebook shit because reasons.

>not using Telegram

Not end-to-end, homebrew protocol. This kinda shit is table stakes and they can't even do that.

I am not from US and pretty much everyone I know uses it. Friends from other European countries too.

WhatsApp definitely is more popular but it's not like you have to stay in contact with green bubble fags. (Unless you have a shitty job, my sis is literally forced to communicate with her boss/team over fucking whatsapp)

Nothing I say is exciting enough to encrypt.

Heres what i want:

No account needed to use, preferably a UUID tied to a usernam.

Decentralized

Encrypted.

Written in a non-meme language like C or C++.

matrix.org/

I hope you're joking.

I like Wire just fine. No ads, no data mining, pretty UI.

I thought Wire open sourced their server? Also, I believe that in 2018, the will let you host it on your own server.

>available on phone and laptop
iPhone and Mac only. Have fun by being an isheep.
>works even with shitty connection and lets you send stuff
Please, explain more. If you're talking about the capability of sending files even with low data signal, all the messanging apps are the same.
>stores logs for good
Only meme messaging apps like Whatsapp etc. doesn't store logs for you.
>protects you from interacting with poorfags
Please, don't be so dumb, you're ruining this community.
>memes like the drawings
It's a messaging app, why would you need something that stupid? Probably because half of the iMessage users are 14 years old or stupid thots and this feature is """""cool"""""

if I remember right they only partially did

Don't think so.

github.com/wireapp/wire-server

>not using Whatsapp

What's wrong with burgers?

>iPhone and Mac only.
Exactly, why would you want to communicate with CumstainPad owners?

>If you're talking about the capability of sending files even with low data signal, all the messanging apps are the same.
Only tried like half of the stuff on the list and when it comes to video chat when you have a shitty wifi, say in a hotel, iMessage was by far the most stable one with best quality. Just anecdotical evidence of course.

>Only meme messaging apps like Whatsapp etc. doesn't store logs for you.
Even Skype doesn't anymore.

>Please, don't be so dumb, you're ruining this community.
>Have fun by being an isheep.
The ironing is strong, son.

>why would you need something that stupid?
Messaging apps are all about communication and the option to communicate with drawing directly is obviously a plus since it widens your options.

Have you seen who owns it? Have you seen what you need to give him in order to use it?

LINE is actually really good.

LINE is good.
It's probably botnet though.

Line isn't E2E encrypted, which makes it trash.

Messaging apps cannot get it right, they're sold on the basis of getting it so right that the users don't realize it's still completely broken. It's entirely marketing.

> why does every idiot use whatsapp instead of more secure messangers like Signal, Kontalk, Threema etc.?

>tfw all those cute japanese girls are using unencrypted messaging
why live

To be fair, I'm not certain the concept of privacy is as important in Asian countries. Certainly not in China.

C++ not being a meme is a meme

I use the regular SMS program that comes with Android.

>messaging app
>C or C++
You dumb son

Not E2E encrypted, which makes it trash.

So what encryption does it use?

Enjoy your buffer overread exploit.
Secure user level applications should be made in safe languages.

LINE is E2E encrypted since long ago. Sorta annoying if you forgot to backup and change phone, your entire history is destroyed.

Line? Not who you were asking, but their encryption is closed source, so no idea. Could be as strong as Signal, could be as insecure as Telegram.

I don't even know what it is, but guessing by the name, it's some apple shit. I don't even know anyone who has an iPhone...

Everyone has Android phones and 90% have whatsapp.

Fair enough, I have unlimited data, but have to pay for SMS so I wouldn't do that. I just installed Discord, but haven't used it much yet.

Yeah it's really annoying that at least every year a new meme-messenger comes along and you have to install more spyware to keep up...

nuffin2hide :^)

Really, no.

They use ECDH protocol, which had weaknesses deliberately left in by the developers.

You forgot that it has to have IRC support and be a native program, no electron bullshit.

BBM

But it is.

medium.com/@wireapp/wire-server-code-now-100-open-source-the-journey-continues-88e24164309c

It's quite new, though

Concept of privacy is not important to any general public of any country of any world of any species.

Its only of concern to top/power users of any country of any world of any species.

Yeah, that's why the plebs of the USSR would have secret poker games. Not because poker was illegal, mind you (it wasn't), but because they just wanted time without the eyes of the state on them. Plenty of people enjoy privacy.

That's why the top/power users have to provide it for the rest of the populace.

But nobody outside the US is still using sms

Is that why they have vk/facebook accounts?

Wew, "privacy minded" general public.

Hey I live in Europe and I use it with my 10 year old Touch Pro 2 ._.

>I choose my friends based on what brand of phone they have
wew

I have a facebook account as a potential requirement after an interview. Guess how much goes on there beyond "TGIF" once every few weeks, and a happy birthday wish? Having facebook does not inherently mean that one is giving up privacy.

The problem is lack of standards and federation. All messaging apps want their own walled gardens.

imessage is unironically one of the reasons im still using the se and not my redmi note 4

Facebook tracks even your writing style. If just by existing they make a shadow profile of you, logging in is already giving too much information.

Ok, so they log "Happy Birthday!" and "TGIF!" because that's literally all that's on there. Oh, and I use a web browser that is only used for it (wouldn't want an ever cookie following me around).

You gave your ID, your phone, your email, your name, your family members's identifications.

They know more than you believe them to know. Just because you already gave up your privacy, should not mean you should love that aspect. You can still hate that you gave up your own privacy but cheer for other's right to privacy.

>You gave your ID
What ID?
>your phone
Nope.
>your email
Mule account.
>your name
Indeed. Guess I'm fucked?
>your family members's identifications
Nope.

>Having facebook does not inherently mean that one is giving up privacy.
Agreed. They're tracking you even with no account due to their scripts running on every fucking website.

NoScript.

Browser fingerprints fuck you too unless you've got like everything Facebook related blocked. Also, there's dark profiles for people who have been in pictures of other Facebook users.

I lead a quiet life, have a browser spoofer, and NoScript on my main browser. I also use a VPN for my main browser, but not my facebook browser.

>Ads
>Shitty Stickers
>Lame Apps
Good meme

I'm just saying if you've got your name on the site obviously they've got shit on you. You can actually request the info they have if you want.

I'd want an app that allows for fully anonymous encrypted connections, like Tox with optionally enforced (on conversation to conversation basis) VPN. Optionally device associative anonymous posting.
Open conversation starting. Publicly listed conversations. Local and non-local filtering of user messages.
Private p2p conversations.
Well connected with sms & social media services.

Can't think of much more really.
It's not that high a bar. I didn't even require distributed solutions for all of these features.
Given how big the messaging services market is I don't see why we don't have a Supreme solution yet.

Already have. They have a bunch of TGIFs and Happy Birthdays.

>quiet life
>facebook account

Telegram

Literally the worst option you could have choose.

This. Fucking this

I work 3rd shift. I have friends over once every couple of weeks. No photos are taken. Amazon has way more on me than facebook.

Y tho? They can't give data anywhere despite shitty encryption

They don't have to when the encryption is broken.

>Hand over "encrypted" data
>Immediately decripts data due to broken encryption.

>No ads, no data mining, no users

It wasn't difficult to convince my friends to use it. So "no users," isn't an issue for me.

Google Allo dude.

>Why does every single messenging app suck?
Because every company that creates such an app wants to shit it out as fast as possible and with the goal to control the platform.
Unfortunately that clashes with
a. the security scheme for trustworthy communication
b. good application programming
c. interoperability
/bread

fuck off rustfag

>Why does every single messenging app suck?
>Why can't any company, or anyone just get it right?

Because normaltrash uses those (((apps))) and they work just fine for them.

joke's on you, he was an Ada, Hasklel or Eiffel fag

Ignorance is bliss. Until it bites you in the ass. Kind of like cancer.

I don't understand people's problem with Rust.

still placebo """safety"""

suuure

the greater mozilla community is the problem with rust. also it's too hard for most Sup Forums users.

rust is no safer than java. you don't hear java programmers shilling their language because it's """safer""" than c or c++

He is not(europoor)

Rust is safer than java if your jvm isn't written in rust.

rust is partially written in assembly

I'm not going to claim any language is safe. I just really like the language.

Just because JVM catches your NullPointerException in the outermost scopes doesn't mean it's safe, fucko.

I didn't see the need for C in the actual message handling but I don't want a painfully slow message application like 99% of all mobile junk.
People just don't overshoot their targets enough. It's stupid to assume you have OS exclusivity.
You should add that Java security is a massive joke. VM exploits are ridiculous. The phrase 'Write once, exploit everywhere' isn't common for no reason.

I use Telegram. Not the most secure but massively more so than Facebook Messenger.