Librem laptops

Opinions on these?

Other urls found in this thread:

puri.sm/learn/intel-me/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you're paying an extra $700 for a hardware killswitch. unless you're in idiot who can't just disable your mic via software and put tape over your camera, you have no reason to buy this. either way you should be shamed for even considering this shit

/thread

what about the efforts of killing Intel's ME? So far they managed to neutre it. Also the specs on it are pretty dope and the laptop itself is easy to modify if you don't like it.

>Uses backdoored Intel hardware
>Claiming any kind of security

>emulate a hardware killswitch with software

You're retarded.

That said, it is a bit overkill, and the execution of the switches in productions units is quite pathetic.

I think the partially neutered IME is the only thing they have going for it.

puri.sm/learn/intel-me/

>"freed" Intel ME
>Still requires propreitary blobs of Intel ME payloads to boot
>"libre"

as opposed to a non existing Intel hardware without the backdoor

Useless, overpriced trash.

This, except people should unplug their mics, speakers, and cameras internally and just use external ones when they need them.

You can do the same thing on most Core i series machines at home with ME Cleaner. They just send you a machine which has it done for you. I used ME Cleaner on ThinkPad T420 with a Core i5 and stripped out as much of the DMA and AMT shit I could find and the Intel ME no longer shows up in my PCI devices in Linux. As far as I can tell it just does power management and hardware init on boot.

Why the speakers?

Yes. Core2Duo. Or ya know, an architecture that doesn't require its manufacturers to destroy the privacy of the end user.

However, the hardware still requires signed proprietary blobs from Intel, meaning if any backdoor was to be found in said thousands and thousands of bytes of code, you would be SOL. It's silly to manufacture and sell a machine with the word "Libre" in it when the BIOS itself will contain proprietary software, and as soon as the power button is pressed your device is compromised.

>non existing Intel hardware without the backdoor
They started seriously introducing the ME around 2005-2008. The x86 ISA is not the backdoor, fucking retard. The backdoor is the built in RISC based coprocessor that can control the whole system.

They could be used as microphones and therefore pose a security risk. Buy yourself a nice external one instead.

You could also argue the same for Libreboot machines since after installation the BIOS EEPROM is not write protected from the OS level. It's better to have the ME stripped down to a point where it can't phone home and it can't access your hard drive or your system RAM.

>Core2Duo
so you have to limit yourself to a series released 10 years ago

>The x86 ISA is not the backdoor, fucking retard
never implied that you autist

Can't remember the technical explanation, but I believe these guys have the cpu manufactured with the NSA and other flags turned on. This might go one further than simply running ME cleaner.

I don't understand how disabling write protection on a set of chips is a backdoor. Anyway, this can be disabled in Libreboot if that's your cup of tea.

That or another architecture.

A librebooted X200 is a much better choice

Look up Talos II, it'll be released later this year

Overpriced, but still botnet.

Can they be librebooted? Because people will rush to buy them if they can.

If I didn't live in a turd of a country would certainly buy one of those.