What are some features that you miss from your computer?

What are some features that you miss from your computer?

Pic related is mine.

What computer DOESN'T have a PS/2 port?

My desktop from >Current_year has one.

fuck that stupid shit
>can't hot swap
>physical port is weak as shit and the connector just falls out of the jack
my mobo has one but I still use USB

Do modern peripherals even use PS/2 ports anymore? I'm so used to USB that I forget about PS/2 unless it's an old keyboard

Manually jumpering interrupts

They don't but the port still exists on pretty much every motherboard.

So it's literally just for legacy peripherals, I wonder how much longer that will continue to be a thing

On-board wifi is one. But I would want one that is bridgeable(? Or something) so I could use my cable connection and broadcast it on wifi to use with my phone or whatever. I just hate the idea of a wifi router. I looked around for ps2 pcie cards also, they are only made by chinks and look like cheap crap. Also I want more than 1 eth port on my mobo.

It's good in case you've got a fucked up motherboard or something where the USB controller is fucked up and USB devices no longer function. With a PS/2 port for backup you have a way to attach a keyboard/mouse to minimally navigate through BIOS menus.

For installing Windows 7.

Ethernet ports on notebooks

my x99 mobo has a combined ps/2 port but it's not uncommon for mobos with igpu output to ditch it in favour of something else where space is limited

I wouldn't be surprised if one of these days, motherboard manufactures try to cut costs by removing the legacy PS/2 ports

Parallel port

there's some modern-ish mechanical keyboards that offer both usb and native ps/2 (with an adapter) since ps/2 does n-key rollover without any driver hacks

i have a usb pci card

5:4 screen ratios.

>cheapest 1920*1080 monitor: €89
>cheapest 1280*1024 monitor: €126

And of course noone even thinks of making higher resolution 5:4 screens.

my board has onboard wifi and while it is an *awful* intel card it is a mini-pcie slot so it should be replaceable in theory, but it's nice to have just in case

>n-key rollover
why should I even care about such a feature?

Playing chords in FL studio

Playing gaymes with your gf or kids.

I don't care about that, I do care when USB shits out and you don't have any input options left.

Windows was nearly unusable until XP if we are being honest. It was great to be able to just use Windows when necessary, and otherwise remain in DOS. I lost my ability to easily navigate and control my computer from the command prompt once XP came out, DOS was eliminated, and Windows was stable. The command prompt tool wasn't really the same thing and wasn't as necessary for regular use. Only then did I begin to become interested in Linux, because the command line is still an integral part of the experience rather than a voodoo tool exclusively for pros.

wew, thankfully I don't use freedom-denying software, don't have a gf placing her hands on my keyboards while I'm typing, no kids and I don't play vydia

just add moar usb ports

Playing chords in rosegarden, if you prefer.

PS/2 it is supposedly more responsive than USB for gaymen.
USB can poll for keyboard input at a maximum rate of 1kHz.
A PS/2 keyboard sends an interrupt immediately when a key is pressed.

my mobo z170 itx has a combined ps/2. I think only thin itx mobo removed the ps/2 ports

IDE channels for exploiting old HDDs.
Not missing them much on the work machine, but need them on the secondary box(es).

yeah but the problem is where do you even get a keyboard with ps/2?

My modern motherboard still has a parallel port for some reason

I use IDE because my HURD doesn't support SATA yet.

well then conitnue doing what you currently are doing then.

My mobo doesn't have them (ASUS b350f-g) but I've literally never missed it. Yoi can bake the usb 3.0 drivers right into windows 7 isos for compatibility during install, when would I ever need ps/2 ports?

I still use a ps2 keyboard.

As long as it works im not giving it up.

Turbo button to make things run faster.

why would you miss that piece of shit? It have 0 pratical use

I use PS/2 for my keyboard because anti ghosting

No kidding. It's become more of a hassle to configure a router because nothing portable has a fucking ethernet port

>going turbo when already at a whopping 100MHz
madman

>faster

Yeah, great thing that I can plug in PS/2 keyboard when I have none. If your USB controller dies, you are still going to replace the motherboard, what's the point.

I hate how everything is USB port nowadays.
My dad bought me fucking speakers and they had an USB port. I waste like 4 USB ports for nothing.

It's LPT1 all over again, you can still find that shit in 2006 mobos

PS/2 Ports are still common these days, mostly by "GAYMING ENTHUSIASTS", they even advertise it as "latency free gaming".

If it's one thing I miss it's the floppy disk being obsolete, it's useless by today's standard but man back in the day it gave me so much pleasure punching in and out the shit.

PS/2 is fucking useful
>Connect USB keyboard
>Windows: Drivers lolwat?
>Connect PS/2 keyboard
>itjustwerks

Stupid question here:
How to usb mice/kbs work when you don't have the drivers for them outside the os? I always thought ps/2 ports were mandatory for this reason alone

>for gaymen
You mean for anything. You think any hardware is magically going to change its response times depending on the task you're doing? lol

On anything except a server

>PS/2 Ports are still common these days, mostly by "GAYMING ENTHUSIASTS", they even advertise it as "latency free gaming".

Yeah but are there any modern gaming market oriented keyboard/mouse that even have PS/2?

>What computer DOESN'T have a PS/2 port?

Laptops.

Try to skip a track while sprinting and strafing in an FPS. My keyboard can't accept shift+w+d+function+F8 (function F8 being media forward)

Power on from the keyboard.

Now I have to use the button on the computer like a fucking caveman.

check BIOS, fag

remember when the power button used to be on the back of the computer case? Yuck!

My modern motherboard still has those

I power mine on using the onboard button because I cant be bothered to even run a switch somewhere reachable.

that's not what the turbo button does

You still have the switch for the PSU back there.

>Computing
>Laptop
Pick one

On-board wifi and bluetooth on my desktop.

I could probably have found a motherboard with it but the one I bought didn't have those things. I don't really miss wifi, it's a desktop so that would just be a thing to have just in case. But bluetooth is something I use a lot. It's idiotic to spend $200 on a motherboard and then have to spend $3 on a BT dongle and have that plugged into a USB port all the time. It wouldn't cost that much to have it built-in. My motherboard actually comes with TWO RGB LED strip headers. That managed to add that but didn't bother with bluetooth. Go figure.

And on my laptop: A _usable_ web camera. Seriously, what's with 720p low-quality garbage webcams on laptops even if you spend $2000? A $99 phone from China will come with a 8MP front camera and a 12 or 16MP back camera. These camera modules have become as cheap as a cup of coffee. But laptops still come with low-quality webcams.

Just so you know, that cheap USB hub in your picture is a total hazard. There's nothing between the bridge from the power and the USB cable, open it up and you'll see (I bought one of these). Power from the power adapter will be fed back over the USB cable and likely damage or fry your motherboard.

>accidentally unplugged the keyboard while the os was running?
>lol well fuck you, good luck saving your work before you reboot LOL

clr_cmos jumpers. I would hook the reset button connector to it when I was overclocking ram so I could reset when it boot looped without getting up

jesus christ... Can't these chinkfucks do anything right?

Your bios and basic os installation media would always have basic usb kb+m drivers. Extra functions like macro keys on keyboard and additional side buttons on MMO mouses won't work but your basic QWERTY format and left/right mouse clicks should work.

>tfw you can't plug in the mouse into the keyboard port or it won't work

why do you miss this?

Look it up, the turbo would change the frequency of the processor.

Where my ISA bros at?

Yes, but to a lower one (I.e. 66MHz - > 33MHz). They called it turbo because it sounds cool.

I'm waiting for USB-C to become more common, so i can mod my PS/2 Model M to use USB-C

Julian?

>he turns his PC off

not upwards

GPIB

bro, not everyone have $500 for energy bills

My mobo from 2017 still has it.

Is it too much to ask a pleb to create their own keyboard shortcut to 'shutdown -h now'?

Some motherboards still ship with USB2 ports for the same reason. You can find distributions of Windows 7 using a more recent installer that has USB3 support in the installer environment if you need it, though.

Why do mobos still have a header for a serial port?

RIP Analog output. My GTX 1080 only has DVI-D, not I.

>he doesn't outsourced everything to his home server
There are days when I don't even touch the computer. I have automated my life so it takes cares of itself

many gaming mice won't work correctly on usb 3.0

If you have a wifi card in your desktop you can broadcast your cable connection over it with like 2~3 cmd commands

>power on
Are you retarded user?

They can, there are multiple mechanical keyboards that you can get with a PS/2 cable. It used to be pretty popular to have USB keyboards that are backwards compatible with PS/2, all it takes to make a PS/2 one now is use a controller that supports PS/2 and use a PS/2 cable instead of a USB one.

As has been previously stated, PS/2 is still very common. When I bought my current motherboard later this year, most of the boards I could find had them. Some of them have a combined Mouse and Keyboard port though, I don't think there are any PS/2 mice made anymore since it doesn't really have any advantages over USB mice unlike with keyboards.

HE QUIK BRON FO JUPS OER HE LA DOG

USB keyboard a shit

This. Basically everything wireless ever besides GSM/CDMA and whatever is shit.

I wish a new version of this, with hot swapping (unless current PS/2 ports have it already) would come out for keyboard and mice. I hate using 2 USB slots for the input devices that I'll never unplug.

How is having six USB ports plus two PS/2 ports any different than having eight USB ports and always using two of them for your keyboard and mouse?

I would like having a new standard for gamepads, since USB has delays due to how the polling works. The old PC gameport was a bit large, being DB15, and also supported like an analog joystick and 4 buttons, 2 if you had connected 2 joysticks/joypads. I know there were graphics cards in the 90s that had extra boards enabling you to connect Sega Saturn controllers.

A more compact parallel port would be pretty neat

THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG

Works on my USB keyboard.

>chiclet keys

Add any actually usable ratios to that. 16:9 is absolutely fucking retarded for anything that isn't watching movies.

>mechanical keys

There are higher res 5:4 displays, they just cost a shitload. An alternative is 21:9, the aspect ratio's pretty close to dual 5:4 monitors.

THE BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE CUTE AND INTELIGENT BABY ROOSTER OR SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT

ps/2 BTFO

that said my ryzen mobo has ps/2 too