Spend my entire life on computers

>spend my entire life on computers
>want to be a programmer; programmers are so cool
>everything has already been programmed
>poos bootstrap everything in java for 2 bucks an hour copy pasting from stack exchange.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=brByJ5EVBn4
tweetsave.com/sargon_0f_akkad
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>>everything has already been programmed
What is it like to be a stupid frogposter?

>kernel - done
>clock - done
>alerts - done
>calender included by default

about the only thing that's left is an ai friend to script for you

>bonzi buddy/siri/cortana

oh and

>routines for raycasting
tools already created
libraries worked already
I can't even contribute at a low level, because there are perfect APIs for everything. Who needs my graphics pipeline?

You literally CANNOT imagine something on a computer that hasn't already been fashioned.
That's why companies like Microsoft don't even "upgrade" any more. They just turn their OS into a service by constantly redesigning so you can keep paying for it.

What do people even work on today? Fucking web browsers. There are like 20 of them. And why? Forks for what? I don't recall browsing the web being something that needed redesign in 2005.

programming has already happened. We're living in the fallout.

Oh... You're mentally retarded.

We're all in the same boat. When AI learns how to program, engineers, web devs, etc. will all become obsolete professions.

no I'm just smarter than you and tortured by my own intelligence. I know there is no future in programming because I have learned its base concepts and realized that the algorithms and routines for anything and everything are already implemented, and programming as it stands is simply reinventing the wheel/painting things different colors, and creating more copy-pastable code for poos to trick people into changing software even though it's all identical.

>spend my entire life wanting to be a trucker
>finally get my license and skills
>companies are now using self driving vehicles

Get help

downvoted

You just lack the necessary imagination. I recommend a career in engineering.

How about applying your vast knowledge creatively?

I do have help. programmers since the 80s have contributed every line of code I'd ever need to do anything at all. And designers since the 90s have implemented it so skillfully that even a nigger can navigate his computer.

I have so much help I have been rendered useless. I guess I'll ruin current programs to trick people into using my new proprietary software. that seems to be the game everyone is playing now that programming is dead.

Is that really Sargon? It can't be...

>I can't even contribute at a low level, because there are perfect APIs for everything. Who needs my graphics pipeline?

fuck are you me user? wish i were in 90s inventing obfuscated as fuck optimization techniques.

everything is perfect now ;_;

you get me.

Programming is not dead. Sure you reinvent the wheel but the point is to improve that wheel in your own way.
If you want to do something new, try web development. Recreate native programs in the browser. It's going that way whether we like it or not.

Could not be father from the truth. New software, apps and games come out all the time. You just aren't original enough to think of something new.

He obviously can't, this guy believes there is no bugs and that APIs are "perfect"

It is...

I am. But I find most of the work I'm doing is animating.

You're right, this is where I'm headed, I think. I want to make toys.

>New software, apps and games come out all the time
it's all just a trick though. No reason to make facebook instead of myspace. only reason it happened is because of the CIA and boredom.

What do you mean by "a trick"?

Are they actually new games and apps or reinvention of previous games and apps with a new coat of paint.

people change software thinking it's better because they're told it's better. In reality it's either not better at all, or worse.

an example is ICQ, MSN, AIM, etc. It was perfect. We just jump from standard to standard for the hell of it. No purpose. No reason. Just tricks.

I think the last time software really sucked was before internet got fast and we were stuck with some bad conventions (rmbv). Now it's all great and they're trying to add DRM to fuck it all up.

You don't need imagination for engineering?

Clash royale is a new game that got very popular quick due to clash of clans success. There's lots of other new services that were successful to such as Tinder.

Those are outdated and obsolete for many reasons.

For example all rpg games are basically variations of Ultima 1 in one sense. No need to make another RPG game when there already is one.

>Clash royale
>a tower defense game is unique
What he's saying is, there's new services but not new software, as in, the wheel is invented, everyone is dicking around making their own wheel, not to make a better wheel but just for the sake of making a wheel. Its boredom, not progress. Shits going to break because the knowledge will be lost. Its already happening in windows OS were previous features are broken or removed because they wer ebroken in the process of giving the windows os a makeover rather than building an actual new OS. Lipstick on pigs.

You're right, unless you're on the bleeding edge, as a regular programmer you can't really invent anything.

But that's really not an issue. The issue that of all things that have been invented, none have yet been implemented to a sufficiently high standard.

Inventing is easy, it just requires one brilliant idea. Implementing something to perfection, that requires work, and also experience and taste.

If you think there's no more software to be made, I'll give you a counter point: I use photoshop every day, and it is the best image manipulation program currently in existence, and that's a problem because I have a lot of gripes with it. There is tons of room for improvement, but a better alternative hasn't surfaced yet.

Crack that one if you can. But you won't, because creating good tools requires more experience working with those tools than experience making the tools. You need to know what the problems are before solving them.

photoshop... what about it isn't great? do you think it starts up too slow? you can do everything in photoshop.

making image manipulation tools was one of my first goals, but I saw that MSpaint had been cloned, and photoshop (i thought) was king.
I'll take a shot at it, but could I request you tell me a specific gripe you have with it?

CC

It is and it isn't
You can make a better wheel, but there is a cap on how good the wheel can become and once its done theres no point in spinning tires in the mud trying to improve something thats already great. If it can be improved improve it. The problem is, people are gradually becoming worse programmers the more the field is dumbed down the more knowledge is being lost. A good example would be MS paint which has had several feature removed presumably because they couldn't get it to work in the new OS. They are gradually forgetting how to code MSPaint.

Everyone is racing around trying to replace software you will never see the source code for because its closed, in the mean time while this rat race happens the actually program will become worse and no one will know how to fucking fix it or how to even read it. This is my ultimate fear.

So what I'm hearing is: Rescuing photoshop is still a noble goal for a programmer.

Saving what our grandfathers created.

The main problem is the fragmentation of image manipulation functionality across the multitude of Adobe products.
Photoshop is a great all purpose image manipulation tool, but it has gimped vector editing functionality. So that you buy Illustrator, I presume. There really isn't anything in Photoshop that would stop it from having great vector graphics tools, there's just no interface and functionality for it.
Same for Digital Photography editing. It has gimped functionality for working with RAW photos from a camera, such as focus, dynamic range, depth of field, etc. You're supposed to buy a separate program for that.
Same for animation. All you can do in photoshop is take a series of static images and string them together into a GIF. No tweens, no vector animation, just a dinky panel and a "convert layers to frames" button.

As for the core functionality of photoshop itself, the macro functionality is, again, poor. You can record a series of actions into macros, but you can not write programmatic macros without writing an addon or something. Something as simple as "copy layer, rotate layer 15 degrees, copy original layer again, rotate 15+15" is impossible with default macros. And I know you'll say that you can just take the second layer and rotate it again 15 degrees, but that introduces sampling errors that create distortion.

The default selection of filters is really poor, there's only a couple useful ones, with the rest being "look, I can make my photo sort of look like a watercolor painting".

The brush engines and overall digital painting interface is flow breaking and a pain. The mixing algorithms reduce saturation, there is no satisfying pop-up color wheel, they're all clunky as shit.

New technology will allow the creation of never before programmed software.

>spend my entire life on computers
>realize that the market is already oversaturated in programmers and you will never make anything new anyway
I just want a quiet sysadmin job

So here's what I'm thinking. I take photoshop and its various suites and simplify it. leading to a simple bitmap/vector and 3d polygon editor. (I think Temple OS already does this, but in HolyC)

But the BIGGEST fucking thing, is that if you switch layers, edit, and then press undo ONCE, it will take you back to the previous layer, and you need a custom script to make it do the obvious and sensible thing. It's still fucking bizarre to me that such behavior is the default.
Such small interface blunders are actually a HUGE impact on productivity. The less flow breaking an interface is, the more things you can create with a tool. It's why oil painting is so effective, it's the most straightforward shit ever: dab brush in paint, apply to canvas.

All in all photoshop needs to be more modular and have more programmatic editing support with a strong API. It's amazing how poor the addon library of photoshop is, and how there aren't many addons that really extend its functionality into niche fields like game texture editing or raster animation. And most addons are paywalled.

If you want to improve production software from a user interface and workflow standpoint, I recommend watching this talk:
youtube.com/watch?v=brByJ5EVBn4
REALLY good talk and gets the gist of what I'm talking about: the best tools are the ones you can use without thinking about the tool and only thinking about the work.
Programmers still haven't figured out how to make software that actually caters and satisfies the end user, mostly because programmers don't work with the software they program and don't listen to people who do.

> It has gimped functionality for working with RAW photos from a camera
I do have a great professional camera, so I'll make sure this functionality makes it.

I got it. I know what the problem is.

A perfect image editor doubles as a game making environment. This is the problem. Companies DO NOT want to give this program away for free.

I will make it.

Nothing in my posts talks about game editing.

Just straight up image manipulation. The fact that something as fundamental taking a bunch of pixel data and displaying it on a screen is a concept used by all digital visual mediums does not mean that there need to be five dozen raster editing tools for each individual niche. Or that raster editing software that can make 2D texture for video games is a fundamentally different thing than software that makes the same 2D images, but this time into a painting or something. We don't need five dozen ways of writing pixel data into an array. On a programmatic level, everything is the same. The problem is the interface.

You can draw a parallel with traditional art: you don't need a completely different set of oil paints and canvas materials to paint a portrait, or a landscape, or a historical painting. One set of tools satisfies all needs, because the end result is just a bunch of paint on a flat surface. Just like the end results of all raster image editing programs is an array of pixels.

post your code dummy

I came to that realization myself. If you put all these tools in one place, you end up with a game editing suite (without sound)

#include

int main() {
printf("c is fun");
return 0;
}

buck shot | brain stuff

Well, games kinda are a combination of almost all forms of art practiced by humans: painting, sculpture, play, storytelling, music, composition, screenwriting, etc.

But games are a bit bigger than 2D images you know. By virtue of a lot of games being 3D. And being real time. And having to deal with gameplay-specific computational problems such as graph navigation.
And a lot of other stuff.

I write new code that no one has done before for a living OP. You should have studied science.

Also, I just posted a short version of my design document on a viable competitor to Photoshop on an anonymous imageboard, for free, because I know that I will never be able to write such software myself, it's above my league.

If anyone reading this adopts those ideas and becomes rich, please donate some money to the autism foundation, I am broke.

the algorithm to take 3d matricies and transform them into a 2d raster has already been perfected in various API

I started this thread complaining about stuff like this, but now I'm thankful.

I have no idea what you'd use it for.

Not even remotely similar looking to sargon of cuckkad

cant say about the quote though.

Picture is from a real sargon tweet

tweetsave.com/sargon_0f_akkad

4 lines of code just to print hello world? Lol no wonder C is so outdated.