Technology in 2028

Hey I'm from over on /tg/ where i posted the same thread, I'm trying to cover more ground here. i figure *technology* is the best place to ask about tech.

Im about to run a military game but set it in the future about 10 years. I'm wondering what kind of technology might we have in about 10 years?

i know its impossible to be 100% accurate, especially with the rate our tech is climbing right now. but what might we see?

im not very good with tech, I'm more of a fantasy guy. anything ranging from just observation and weapons to mundane stuff like how were gonna utilize communications in the future or even what kind of fridges/microwaves were gonna use.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GPTaJhUhgSs
youtube.com/watch?v=h_4Qqnlpi-s
youtu.be/O-QnSG4CpSM
armamentresearch.com/craft-produced-anti-materiel-rifles-and-light-cannon-in-yemen/
futuretimeline.net/21stcentury/2010-2019.htm
futuretimeline.net/21stcentury/2020.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Jioo5uXoNLg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have heard some theories that there are sooper-sekrit weapons being developed/used by Israel and Saudi Arabia in those perpetual gulf wars going on.

Stuff that can vaporize enemy hardware without killing or hurting anyone near it too bad. Like some kinda energy beam shit that can shrek an armored vehicle but leave the crew onboard alive (albeit with some burns and total deafness).

The theory being that it's all the dead bodies and family members from those wars that provoke new wars and that if you want peace and stability in the region, you want to leave defeated enemies with as few reasons to hold grudges as possible.

Thomas Wictor has more on that. His twitter is a mess but if you dig you can find some analysis of grainy combat footage and his theories on how some of the weapons being used aren't conventional at all.

oh man, that idea is pretty neat, weapons that dont kill but try to stop the fighting.

There will be small, dart like cylinders that you can shoot into someone's neck and psychology torture and disable them almost instantly. It will be called Shell Shock.

Another bit of future tech I can imagine not being too far off is simulacrums. Sending in your own guys to pose effectively as the enemy.

Combine that with non-lethal weapons tech and you could start replacing the enemy's fighters (who will be captured alive as POWs instead of being gibbed into tomato paste by conventional lethal weapons) with your own guys who are sent in as body doubles.

Or if you want to go for comedic effect, you could incorporate exploding suicide simulacrums like in the Marathon series.

youtube.com/watch?v=GPTaJhUhgSs

youtube.com/watch?v=h_4Qqnlpi-s

>they even put him in a green jumpsuit

cLAYTRONICS. rEMOTE OPERATORS, LIKE A MORE INTIMATE VERSION OF CAMWHORES, CONTROLLING LIVE, physical MODELS OF PROGRAMMABLE PLASTIC RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. cLEANSED IN CRECHES OF ALCOHOL AFTER USE WHICH THEY MELT INTO LIKE SLIME GIRLS.

a ROW OF THESE AT YOUR HAJI STRIP JOINT, DANCING ON A CIRCULAR STAGE. tHEN OUR BOYS BREAK IN, SHOOTING THE PLACE UP. tHE CLAY GIRLS SHATTER IN STRANGE WAYS UNDER THE HAIL OF GUNFIRE LIKE NON-NEWTONIAN FLUID MOMENTARILY BEFORE BUGGING OUT AND DISSOLVING LIKE SAND. oORAH GET SUM youtu.be/O-QnSG4CpSM !!!!!!!!!!!11

aND FLYING CARS.

Just guesses:
We will have automated drones for safer house clearing that dynamically detect their environment and civvies vs boogie men.
Naval rail guns will see their first trial deployment (assuming there's a suitable war).
Heavier infantry armor will be deployed as movement assisting exoskeletons are deployed. With the higher infantryman investment we will see actual head protection with face masks.
Smarter guns with automatic ballistic adjustments guided (not 'guided' like missiles to be clear) by wireless environment measuring stations that are fired as grenades or otherwise deployed when combat breaks out.
Since you're looking for /tg/ stuff i guess you could look at synchronized shooting devices. They're absolutely trivial to build today as a hobbyist even. It's just that they're largely useless. Maybe ok for hunting purposes.
Scope mounted cameras with helmet view for improving combat awareness and accuracy in combination with the aforementioned environment metrics. Cheaper and thus more use of infantry driven missiles (think FGM-148).
More aggressive custom gun production from rebel elements (ISIS and others) with more competency. (see armamentresearch.com/craft-produced-anti-materiel-rifles-and-light-cannon-in-yemen/ for instance)
Remote controlled guns for safer firefights (place and hide funs).
Use of lighter UAV.
Disregard for the Geneva protocol.
As a response gas mask will be deployed again.

But these are just ideas. Nothing that I see signs of happening. It's just all attainable.
Very optimistic.

10 years is nothing, like everything will be the same. Maybe they finally will get those electric navy catapults working.

There's some experimental radar stuff today that can be used to get an inside looks at houses and buildings. I think it's too expensive and new for wide use right now but just like quadcopter drones were once expensive toys they're now everywhere. Would be very useful for safer house clearing like was talking about.

Also. That ghost recon game. Ignoring the cloak I don't had anything that would stand out to me as stupid futuristic really. Oh wait I remember a truth serum. Scratch that one too.

Not much changes in ten years. I'd expect several from the list: a change in rifle caliber, a new or upgraded APC/IFV, an upgrade kit for the main tank, the deployment finally of the F-35, wider use of suppressors and optics.

The most changes are about to come from semi-autonomous weapons and communication, like humanoid robots as an extra squad member taking point clearing houses, carrying shit and laying down guided suppressive fire. Or night optics on a vehicle that stream details to the infantry 1km ahead, and fire at designated targets.

We're not going to have fully automated weapons as long as there's no desperate war.

The military takes about 20 years to implement a new technology, and when it does come, it's something completely different. All these things have been in development since the early 2000s.

i speak to people about exoskeletons frequently.
as soon as a hobbyist builds a simple servo exo ("the hacksmith" never did and never will because he's a moron) for cheap we will be well on our way.

>hacks your bitcoin

nothin personnel

We need good battery technology is the problem.
And nobody cares about saving the world so we won't get that.

Sounds similar to the microwave/laser cannon tech the US is testing to destroy missiles once they enter range in mid air as opposed to using counter missiles.

hydrogen cells are pretty neat, but yes i would have to agree that the attitude is gonna be "i don't care" for quite a while longer before any change sets in.
don't tell that to electric car owners.

our tech is not climbing, it has stagnated for 10 years

>hydrogen cells
For this application it's probably pretty OK. For things like cars it's just a lot of energy put into pressurizing the gas that kills it. And lack of adoption naturally.
That's just foolish user. We've come a long way. We don't have the massive initiatives relative to national potential anymore though. That's sad. But that stopped well over 10 years ago.

"theres nothing new under the sun" -some idiot, and half of Sup Forums

>i figure *technology* is the best place to ask about tech
haha

futuretimeline.net/21stcentury/2010-2019.htm
futuretimeline.net/21stcentury/2020.htm

Smart Pipes. If your game is set in India, then these won't be used.
youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ

>i figure *technology* is the best place to ask about tech.

lol

Probably a lot more drones (the little flying rotor kind). Those things got fucking popular out of nowhere and they're so cheap now, I don't know why we don't use them already. I can see the military using them for reconnaissance or strapping explosives on them and blowing up durka hajis. I don't know if a small flying object could handle recoil from guns mounted on them.

In the last 10 years, we've gone from cybernetic augmentation being a high concept sci-fi fantasy to people getting robotic limbs that they can control with their minds. 10 years from now we might even have cybernetic eyeballs that are an effective replacement for people who have lost their natural vision, the same way that hearing aids are practically as effective as natural hearing by now. Technically these already exist, but to my knowledge they only restore extremely basic vison, simple outlines of objects.

?

I'm pretty pessimistic, at least if we're talking about infantry. It doesn't matter how cool technology can be, the most expensive tech will be used for long distance stuff (missiles, cyberwarfare...), but a simple soldier will have to use something more practical and durable than a tactile screen... You know what I mean.

I think that Arma 3 is the most realistic future that we will have.
youtube.com/watch?v=Jioo5uXoNLg

Also, if I recall correctly, Bohemia Interactive (the developers) already sell simulation software for real armies (Virtual Battlespace 3).

>I think that Arma 3 is the most realistic future that we will have.
I was going to say this. Arma 3 does a very good job of simulating slight near future combat.