/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Use a search engine before posting
Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/popcorntime-bin/
youtube.com/channel/UCD4EOyXKjfDUhCI6jlOZZYQ)
mrc.uidaho.edu/mrc/people/jff/digital/MIPSir.html
logos.cs.uic.edu/366/notes/mips quick tutorial.htm
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-sp1-media-refresh-download-links.60681/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

On the current Sup Forums x release, the favicon and reply count are not updating in the title bar. What do? Is it still being maintained? Last update was a month ago.

I'd like to install Popcorntime on Arch linux, how should I do that?

how can I use 4chanx with nightly? also which password manager do you use?

My io shield has all these prongs things covering the ports, one is in the way of my hdmi port. What are they? What should I do?

aur.archlinux.org/packages/popcorntime-bin/

rip it off

I want to buy a Windows key. Do I buy windows 7 or 10? I heard the Windows 10 has some Ubuntu functions.

No, I do not plan to leave Linux. I am currently using Manjaro, but I need to have Windows for many reasons such as work, compaptibility, and, of course, games.

Windows 10, despite being botnet -- which is not a problem, I'll just keep my "secret" (non-criminal, just personal) stuff in my linux distr -- is the one which brings me more interest.

However, I also heard it sometimes FUCKING ERASES Linux partitions on its own without even notifying the user. Is this true?

looking for a laptop that's

>under $1000
>isn't heavy as fuck
>very good battery life
>high build quality & ergonomics
>dedicated GPU (needs to run WoW)

Am I stupid?

How much does an API like Metal or GLES restrict what you can do compared to proper desktop API’s?

How do I permanently disable wake-on-lan on Lubuntu? I can disable it with ethtool -s wol d command, but after a reboot or a poweroff it comes back on again! I have no option to disable it in BIOS.

It's very annoying because it drains my battery really badly whilst powered down completely unless I enter "sudo ethtool -s eno1 wol d" in terminal before I shut down.

I would like help in better understanding switches.

In say, an apartment complex, all the lines from the IDFs would connect to the MDF via a switch, right (well a patch panel/switch combo)? It's my understanding that a switch is used to allow PCs to communicate within a network while a router divides those networks. So how are the networks divided in this example? Is it possible to do it logically within the switch? If the complex is using a DSL service would there be a primary router, and if not how is the service delivered to the MDF?

Android 7.0 is there any way to make MTP mode default AND stay as default, and is there a way without rooting or no.

How do I block ads on embbed youtube videos?

ublock origin werks for me

I can OC my and run Cinebench on my I5 4690k @4.9 GHz with an Asus Z87-C and a Thermalright Macho B cooler, but it bluescreens at 5GHz
Could I run Cinebench at 5GHz with a better Mainboard and watercooling? Or even by delidding? Or is my CPU moot @ 5GHz and I am just tryharding too much?

Vlans in the switch

I just installed irssi. How do I make freinds?

Is vanilla fine or do I have to add anything to the black/white lists?

So it is a logical separation. Thanks user!

I'm thinking about using Let's Encrypt for a root CA SSL cert on my personal website.

Is this a stupid choice? Should I just pay for a cert instead? Seems like the main disadvantage here is 1. you need to setup automation to renew every 90 days 2. The cert only validates your domain name, nothing else.

Vanilla

Repeat from last thread, with expanded details. Got incorrect answers last thread.

I have been looking at some Java code, I am often seeing a consistent pattern of declaring collections in this fashion:

List list = new ArrayList();

Now consider the following program:
import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;
class Main {
public static void main(String[] args) {
}
}

The fifth line of this program can actually be any one of the following lines, and all will produce an identical program:

ArrayList list = new ArrayList();

When I say identical an identical program, I mean literally identical in every way I can conceive of so far. Any of these lines can be substituded for line 5, and javac will produce the exact same bytecode and the exact same .class file, down to the last bit. I have personally verified this (javac 1.8.0_131).

That all being said, is there a purpose or advantage of everyone declaring it specifically as List list as opposed to one of the other identical ways? Can anyone give a concrete example?

There was links shown on here about a company that was making power8 and 9 computers. Anyone remember what they were called?

Thanks

How come when I boot up Android it takes a couple of seconds for all my F-Droid apps to load? This wasn't really a huge deal before but now that I use a homescreen launcher from F-Droid it's become a problem.

Someone help me.

As long as one side is casting the List to String it doesn't matter.
List myList is just the norm.

Winfag contrarian detected.

What sort of real world performance increases do those hybrid ssd/hdd drives offer if you're using it for storage and not boot?

it depends what you want to load. video games will see a boost because you are loading large amounts of data in regular bursts (typically). for movies/TV, it's a constant stream, so no benefit.

My G400 mouse is dying.
What is the official Sup Forums mouse now?

Or better yet what is the preferred wired and wireless mouse?

I had a G500 for years would highly recommend. Why does Sup Forums like the 400 so much?

You already killed your cpu with a temperature higher than the boiling point of water. Mine is around 35c.

is covering up your webcam a meme?
is some faggot hacker jacking off to me the worst that could happen?

>Why does Sup Forums like the 400 so much?
Mine hit the five year anniversary five days ago.

Didn't you watch Black Mirror, fag?

But it was in their eyes.

I have a kindle paperwhite that I occasionally read manga on, page load takes a while (a tiny amount over normal pages) but I expected that as it's obviously not _really_ meant for manga, but recently it started "crashing" on manga that worked fine before. I'll be going trough the pages and randomly it will not load a page, wait a few seconds and then reboot instead. since it wasn't properly exited it will also then bring me back in on the last page I left before I started this session.

Any Idea what this could be? I don't think the memory is busted since all the actual pictures are still intact, it just sometimes refuses to load them. I have no Idea how to fix this.

Is there a reddit cli tool to download subreddits?
The few i tried are years old and dont seem to be following the api correctly as it throws out massive errors.

Haven't seen the newest season then? It's pretty good

No but seriously, it's quite easy to look through a webcam or listen through a microphone with a virus. I leave mine unplugged cause I don't use it frequently.

I've had this happen with my PRS-300 old ass Sony reader. The file is corrupt enough for the kindle to hang.

First two seasons sucked and I started the stupid lady going to a wedding thing on the third season premiere, but I just can't do it.

It does happen exclusively with the manga files (all ones that worked before) and not at all the "normal" books, also it doesn't happen consistently at the same places in manga, so I'm not sure if the file itself is corrupt.

sudo apt-get install massive dildo in my ass

If it weren't geared towards a younger audience it'd be much better. I guess I found it good cause it hits that whole "Elon Musk robots are gonna take over the world" thing in me.

bad post

I'm running Lineage OS and using the default contacts app

Does anyone know how to back up all my contacts, move them to my computer and instantly transfer then onto my new phone without having to individually put them all in again?

I can't seem to save them to my sim?

People were gushing about how there was this "mindblowing" episode where everyone gets rated for everything Uber-style. Watched it and it was literally one of the stupidest fucking things I've ever seen in my life.

Black Mirror is trash.

I installed something through admin command prompt and I cannot figure out where it put the folder it created. If I try to install again it says that folder isn't empty.

I had to use a non admin command prompt for it to install the folder in my Users/username like it is suppose to. Does the admin use have a hidden folder somewhere?

I haven't downloaded from mega for over a day, yet it still says bandwidth limit exceeded in jdownloader as well as with megadl in my terminal ("error 509"). Wtf is going on?

Jesus fuck that episode was mind numbing. But to be fair it is a novel out of the box play on a day to day concept we're all familiar with. I can appreciate it without liking it

For fun, I'm making a program in C++ (using RAD studio) where you feed it an input voltage, an output voltage, and using standard resistor values it decides what the closest aproximation would be for R1 and R2 to get it.

Thing is, I want to make it so I decide which resistor values it could use (in runtime). (as in a simple checklist where you set certain resistors ON or OFF from the possible choices) but i'm not sure how to implement that last bit.
Any suggestions?

>tfw 2 dumb for VHDL

I've been learning surface level IT consulting knowledge in my free time and I'd like to know if anyone could point me towards resources to better my learning?
I'm currently using Eli the Computer Guy's youtube channel (youtube.com/channel/UCD4EOyXKjfDUhCI6jlOZZYQ) to learn prerequisite stuff and it's been a wealth of knowledge so far.
Are there other/better youtube channels? Any websites that would be helpful (outside of like, stackexchange) ?

need some help guys. I got an email from someone ive been chatting with online. They sent me an email with a .htm file. Well, i accidentally clicked on it and it took me to their actual email inbox. then after about 10 seconds, it logs out. Did i click something fucking stupid?

says who faggot

What the fuck is going on with my syntax highlighting? The one that works is Git Bash, the two fucked up ones are Powershell and cmd. All 3 ssh'd into the same server, opening the same file. Windows 10. I do not have this problem on my laptop.

it started working after i posted here. thanks Sup Forums botnet.

Yeah. They were probably watching you type that in real time faggot

Is it ok to look at people personal stuff when you are working on their computers?

you could help me instead of being a retard. I think i might have acces to their email, which i'm pretty sure has nudes. If i know i'm safe i will dump what i can get

Have you looked at what is in the .html file you mong?
How do you know they weren't retarded and saved their email page then sent it to you?

i don't know. I'm an idoit when it comes to computers that's why im asking. It takes me to a yahoo email account. When i look at the page there is a bunch of little question marks where there would be the UI if taht makes sense When i clicked on something it said i have been signed out.

come on

Not so fast!

this wifi want's to spy on me?

honeypot

Linksys router or range extender, not FBI.

Sup Forums I recieved this error. Ruined my day really.

I was going to just restore a backup system32 folder I had made inside the Windows machine (Not a huge deal, accessing it through Live Boot Kali)

But when I went to replace the old with my Backup It merged them instead of out right replacing it. And moved the file instead of copying, for some fucking reason.

Well I'm shit out of luck because this was a pirated version of windows to begin with but I lost that USB. Does windows keep a backup of it's self somewhere? Like registry backup?

No

Why do I have very little seekbar control over opus [ogg] encoded audio? Is there a reason for this? Tried both MPV and VLC, WAV and MP3 I have precision control over the seekbar. Why the fuck is it so impossible for opus?

Looks like it's time for a fresh install.

At least you can save your other data.

No to most of your questions.

Just reinstall windows or pray the recovery option of the installer works.

That's a bad idea. If his registry is gone a lot of shit will flat out break. Welcome to windows.

The following code segment is stored in memory starting at memory location 0x00445670.

What are the two possible values for the contents of the PC after the branch instruction has executed?

bgez $a0, skip # mem location: 0x00445670

subu $s2, $s1, $t0 #

ori $v0, $t1, 0x0003 #

skip:

I mean what the bloody hell

What I got so far:
If $a0 >= 0 go to skip
$s2 = $s1 - $t0
ori (or immediate) $v0 = $t1 || 0x0003

skip:

what values could it be? It hints they start with 0x but I think $a0 (0x00445670) would be one answer, and I don't know what the other one could be

Resources:
mrc.uidaho.edu/mrc/people/jff/digital/MIPSir.html
logos.cs.uic.edu/366/notes/mips quick tutorial.htm

I don't even know what it's asking for, really. maybe the registry value?

I'm gonna have to find another version of windows ISO, last time I grabbed one was from some shitty public tracker like TPB. Where the fuck would I look for one.

I'd try the recovery option first before just re installing.

I could link you to a safe magnet if you want?
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 i assume?

I guess. Maybe I'll just go to a private tracker for one too.

Or buy it, probably not fuck that I'd sooner use Linux on my desktop.

All you need is here
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

Here if you still want it:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:2534ecaab70e970ffb8a678ba5ae39e8fb945a72&dn=X17-59465.iso&tr=udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969&tr=udp://tracker.leechers-paradise.org:6969&tr=udp://tracker.zer0day.to:1337&tr=udp://explodie.org:6969&tr=udp://tracker.opentrackr.org:1337

Source: forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-sp1-media-refresh-download-links.60681/

>I don't even know what it's asking for, really.

The possible value of the (P)rogram (C)ounter. I dunno what kind of assembly that is, but I assume bgez is the branch instruction. My educated guess would be that the program counter will then point to either the line with subu or skip depending on the result of the comparison?

Thanks for the hint, it's MIPS 32-bit assembly

I was all sorts of confused since PC can stand for several things, Program Counter makes the most sense though.

Okay so I think you're right, the answers would be either skip or subu. How would we convert that to an address? I think we are to add a multiple of 4 for each line so:

bgez $a0, skip # mem location: 0x00445670

subu $s2, $s1, $t0 # 0x00445674

ori $v0, $t1, 0x0003 # 0x00445678

skip: 0x00445682

Or maybe we're to add 32 per value/line. . .

I meant 0x0044567b for skip:
it's hexadecimal

No problem. It's been a long while since I fucked around with assembly, so this is just me talkiung out of my ass. But yeah if it's a 32-bit instruction set then usually you advance the PC by a multiple of 4 bytes. However, you have to consider like 'subu $s2, $s1, $t0' would take up more than 'bgez $a0, skip', cuz the bgez line has the instruction and two operands, and the subu line has the instruction and three operands.

Is there a device that make by broadband router to have wireless semnal? I don;t have money for a wireless router right now.

what's a good screen share program to use?

Kek. All the "magnet links" on that page are broken because they have mdl's domain tacked on to them. Goes to show you better have your shit together if you disable replies.

I noticed that a while ago.
MDL broke links with the new theme in an attempt to remove the site referral on other links, not magnets, they have yet to fix this.

Can I use my PC to have internet on an android tablet? (connect thro USB).

But if I use the tablet while it's charging it's break the battery?

Gotcha. I'm guessing that's the same time they locked MST's thread behind a login. But I guess it's worth it if they can stave off microsoft releasing their most coke-addled lawyers on them

MDL
MD5
PC PC PC
SHA1 SHA3 SHA128 SHA256 SHA512
AES
ALU
IR
GUI
CPU
HTTPS CSS JS BS JQ
FLOPS
GIMP
FAT
NTFS
HFS
GRUB
IC
ICANN
ICE ICE
EFF
IEEE
IEC
IE
IPv4 IPv6
I/O
IT
JDK
MIME
SIMP
GB
P2P
regex
ROM
RAM
DRAM SRAM
TOR
PS/2
CPI
RGBA
RFID
DVI HDMI VGA
GPU
SSH SU
SMS MMS
TCP IP
USB
MST
DRM
SSD HDD
UHD
UEFI
VBA
VM
LAN WAN CAN SAN RAN MAN
W3C XML XHTML
MIPS

PLUS A MILLION MORE ACRONYMS
IS ANYONE ELSE TRIGGERED BY ALL THESE LETTERS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>IS ANYONE ELSE TRIGGERED BY ALL THESE LETTERS

No.

You would like the military tho.

Most this shit would be much easier to understand without acronyms like IPC--wtf is that
instructions per cycle--easy

HC XD IN YOUR AO
versus
RSA HS VIA TCP/IP OVER WWW

both are ridiculous

what ISO program is g approved?

dd

I thought the whole line was covered in 4 bytes

op (6 bits) rs (5 bits) rt (5 bits) (rd shamt funct) OR constant OR address 16 bits

You can use wireless hotspot software on PC yeah. By USB from the PC to the tablet tho I doubt would work.

For what?