So this is the power of gtk

So this is the power of gtk

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/71fcl9/desktop_lets_talk_about_the_gtk_file_picker/
opengroup.org/openbrand/register/xy.htm)
gnomeshellsucks.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

kde doesnt have this problem

Yeah. But how about actually solving the problem? Or talking about it?

NO! It's a heresy to talk about gtk! It's an attack! Where is my safe space!

ikr and 13 years later the issue persists

KDE unironically makes me feel nauseous, there just isn't something right about it. It's like spreading yoghurt on toast. I don't what it is. The default colour scheme makes me feel sick, the positioning and font size of the time in the bottom right corner makes me want to punch a wall, and the UI of the file picker gives me this sinking feeling in my stomach

KDE is genuinely revolting

The sad part is, that a handful of devs held gtk hostage. They won't listen to any reasoning, they won't take suggestion and they won't do anything.

They would like to brag about how much better they are for doing it for free.

You've never used a nice KDE theme before have you?

why can't someone just patch it and throw it upstream

KDE sucks at DPI scaling though.

It's really not just about the theme, it's just something about its whole design philosophy that makes me feel nauseous

I just highlighted the default skin because it's the first horrible sight you get when using KDE for the first time

Patch it? Haha do you think people wants to touch that gtk trash? And then have their patch rejected in the face?

They won't even allow any competition.

the issue isnt that it looks bad, you can make it look quite nice easily. the issue is that its a DE and does a million things you don't need for the one thing it does that you do.

KDE is not fast

they did, twice actually. it didn't get accepted.

gtk devs for you.

What a cute loli

what were their reasons?

Are you talking about adding features?

Why would you do that?

Why do you need that feature?

And I'm sorry but I don't use qt/unix/json/philosophy nor do I know what it is.

uh the whole point is you're supposed to change the theme, user

That still looks fucking gross and an insult to aesthetic design

KDE cannot be saved

Nice

Faster than gtk

With a UI like that, you should get yourself a mac user. You will be way more pleased.

but I can already do the same thing for free so why bother

the only people who think this are idiots who haven't used macOS and think that their trash knockoff linux skin is "the same thing"

well, what's the difference then?

This. Guys why the FUCK every DE's default themes are complete ass? It's insane how consistently ass they are. I get it programmers aren't artists but you'd think they would at least work to get some good theme creators on board.

if i remember well, the guy who patched used a few things a gtk dev didn't like, something like "the filechooser shouldn't generate thumbnails" or something. after that the dev just got tired and the patch was broken after a few updates to gtk.

my gf illya is so cute

a coherent system that delights you, is widely compatible and supported, and hardly ever breaks

What forum is that?

She's 8

> She's 8
> hips are wider than waist
> slightly developed breasts are present
Nonsense. 12 at least, more like 14. I don't care about lore, she does not look like 8 at all.

not in the only fate that matters

>mfw Linux is awesome but it's dead in the water because the autism that allows it to be awesome on the back end completely ruins any chance that the front-end will be good and usable
this is why I use a mac desu

I can definitely see it. It just doesn't look right. Anyone want to prove me wrong?

Oh they did actually fix that complaint. I don't know why it was never accepted. The patch worked with the gtk version at the time. There was actually a couple of attempts after that. Some guy ported it to gtk2 and one other guy reworked it for gtk3.10+. With some work, they both still work. I might try to port the patch to the latest version of gtk (3.90 or whatever it is) as well as the latest master for each gtk branch.

>going to reddit
fuck that noise

I'll name my daughter Irisviel

their panel font padding and positioning looks like the did it in MS paint

What are you talking about? Breeze is pretty comfy tbqh and makes GTK2/3 and QT programs have a consistent look desu.

There's enough cringe in this thread already.

There is a patched gtk2/gtk3 in aur, and it works well.

, no.
>default colour scheme
>default everything
Install macOS.

Bump, GTK is the caner killing Linux on the desktop.

>gosh golly the community is so meany doo doo they make me feel insecure
what

>tone policing
Call me back when gtk can run on my toaster.

Does your toaster have more than 1.2GiB of RAM?

>It's like spreading yoghurt on toast
THIS. I switched to XFCE and everything feels just right.

>"but adding sarcasm is bound to make everyone worse"
>having this much of a low self esteem
Dropped

It's called GTKucks for a reason.

yeah it's sabotaged by furfag developers. linux is targeted for subversion since it's too good. essentially turning your experience into a rabbit hole where you have to fix everything.

minor things really that adds up, can ave shrink a disk and install the beta version of OS X on it.

3 finger swipe left/right to change desktops, 3 finger swipe up to goto over view mode(may not sound like much but it is full of little details like this that makes day to day use amazing)

first party software support(provided you don't care if it is FOSS or not)

UNIX certified OS(opengroup.org/openbrand/register/xy.htm)

just as easy to setup a development system as it is on Linux.(skip Xcode though...)

The future is Apple.

>le certified Unex maymay
Never change iToddlers.

Holy shit this

Yeah KDE will never have the design and features of the glorious GNOME desktop

>getting your comments revised

"LOL"

Is that too old?

>gnome
We're talking about xfce here, delets need not apply

only excuse for this is sabotage.

>sabotage
By the GTK devs themselves

that's what I was implying.
no other possible reason for this shit. sabotage.

If you're not using KDE, why are you on Sup Forums?
Terminal-only exempt from this question

>these retard monkey niggers are prioritizing compatibility with windows
nice work, CIA.

isn't KDE the distro with Gandhi and Mowgli as user icons? and the white ones look like goofy turtles... red flag.

>GNOME looks like an unholy fusion of discount OSX and vanilla Windows 8
>people say KDE looks bad even though it's 100x more customizable

Jesus christ I hate having to use this garbage on Firefox with KDE. I don't know how GNOME users can stand using it all the time

...what?

pic related
>100x more customizable
then change this
change everything
when someone shits in the punch bowl
you don't scoop out punch from the outside
you go home

it's amazing to me how backward Linux is. in 2017, the most popular Linux DE is the biggest pile of shit stacked on top of a giant pile of cow dung (systemd).

GNOME is nothing more than an aborted tablet UI with millions of hamburger menus. And they keep on REMOVING features with each new iteration.

It's a total piece of shit.

gnomeshellsucks.wordpress.com/

sabotage

Wow. So this is the power of Reddit.

This is why you buy a macbook.

No, this is why you install Void and xfce

you give KDE a bad name. stop trying to be macOS.

stupid fucking currynigger can't even speak english
HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO? TIME TO FUCK OFF

LOL

The GTK file picker sucks!

>using a DE
shouldn't you be out with your gf you dirty normie

>proposing some new overly complex RPC for simple shit like thumbnails, that is already standardized in FDO.
fucking reddit

Ew why is that clock text so huge

It's literally the only DE capable of adapting to DPI differences on multiple monitors, and capable of fractional scaling. Literally the objective best there is in Linux DPI scaling.

Jesus christ that thread is pure cancer

Just installed KDE and have it pretty much default. what's wrong with this exactly?

Are you suggesting me to waste my life fixing the hot garbage gtk?

So fork it and write your own gtk.

GNOME devs have taken gtk hostage. They are a bunch of monkeys that lack creativity and innovation. Hence they won't listen to suggestion, dissmiss them right away without covering the common grounds and, the worst thing, they'll act as if they are so great for contributing to a community based project.

I give up. I hate gtk. I want it to DIE a miserable death.

Really?
I still use X11 because in wayland you can't use xrandr --scale options, useful when you have a hidpi monitor with a normal one.

Delete yourself faggot. Using Devuan unstable botnet and QupZilla. Also default faggot with almost 2K packages on such old thing.
I have 32-bit notebook for travelling, but with slack and less than 300 packages, tmux+links+vim. What the fuck do you need more on 32-bit?

The magic DPI witchcraft only works under Wayland and I hear multimonitor support under Wayland is lacking. But whenever KDE gets its Wayland support together, and whenever Wayland stops being utter trash, it'll be a good experience. Probably.

GNOME philosophy:

Remove essential functionalities from the desktop so we don't have to worry about them. Oh make sure your GNOME version is compatible with the extension.

Let the users depend on 3rd party extensions. If they give up, it's none of our problem!

In the near future GNOME files won't be able to create new file, the shell won't support system panel tray, won't be able to handle power profiles, or mouse acceleration, get rid of minimize/maximize buttons, won't be able to change themes... oh wait. They already removed them.

Can't wait for those extensions to die as well. None of GNOME's problem. :)

Wait, did you celebrate our exciting new feature: emoji-support!!?

You have to go back

Using widgets in 2017?
The problem isn't gtk, it's you.

Epic post, my dude

People tried that in GTK2 days, I guess they've given up with GTK3.

Tried Mac before, it looks nice but the workflow is absolutely atrocious.

Not to mention it has no hardware support. The OS itself isn't just designed that way

Nothing, change your theme and stop using Mint though you absolutely disgusting fuck.