Whats so good about this?

whats so good about this?
i keep hearing about this shit at work and how its jesus christ incarnate but to me it just looks like regular VPS hosting, but more expensive

Other urls found in this thread:

aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-per-second-billing-for-ec2-instances-and-ebs-volumes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was nice, but the current year is 2017 and we have docker now.

>docker

I want reddit to leave

>whats so good about this?
its cheap, because it gets financed by CIA in exchange for access to all servers.

if you dont do anything illegal, I'd say go for it.. otherwise...

>i hate technology i'm not familiar with
why is Sup Forums full of low skilled, uneducated trash?

>its cheap
no it's not

fuck off with your meme trash

docker is trash

elaborate pls.

what the fuck does docker have to do with aws

it actually is not. it's more secure and lightweight than any hypervisor and capable of clustering micro services without the bloat shit that a typical os provides.

why don't you gtfo and post in a desktop thread, that should be adequate for your intelligence level

they're both filthy SJW ridden neo-faggotry shit

I don't know, can you tell me

>docker
>secure
HHAAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

>HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA
Hey, where is my sauce?

AWS has ECS which is managed containers using docker... that is one product in their massive portfolio of services, so you just outed yourself of having no fucking clue what you are on about.

Wrong.

Amazon is the least SJW of any big tech company.

>desperate damage control
now go to mommy and enjoy some tendies, while the educated ones actually earn money and don't need to rott in their parents basement

>sauce
>Sup Forums
this is not a techboard user, this is just a pseudo eltist board with a majority of mcdonalds burger flippers and dweebs with a superficial interest in technology

>suddenly likes docker

the cancer is real

They keep emailing telling me I'm in debt for $0.50 and if I don't pay they'll close my account, been getting this since last year kek.

>AWS has ECS which is managed containers using docker...
Of course they do, how they're going to charge the dumb fucks like you who can't into installing docker on their own serves.

It is absolutely NOT more secure than a traditional hypervisor. The attack surface is the same as any LXC instance, which means you have kernel and init attacks to worry about. Docker containers are also often poorly managed and out of date. You have to trust the maintainer set up the container right and is keeping it secure. For very popular containers and releasers you're probably mostly okay, but containers with less than thousands of users, roll your own instead. At which point, if you're not deploying on several machines just use LCX/LXD directly like a real man.

Docker is way over used and treated like some magic technology. It's just a tool and the only problem it solved was easier consistent deployments.

Aws runs containers now too broseph.

OP aws is god tier infrastructure as code if you do it right. Possibilities are endless and way less work than trying to monkey fuck your own solution on VMware or open stack.

t. fat pedo virgin neckbeard living in mom basement screeching autistically about shit he is too stupid to understand

I can click a button and have it execute a script to start a new botnet node, run some shit, and shut it down, all in about 30 seconds flat from start to finish. And that costs like $2.

if you do anything with anything you know this is the fuckin bees knees.

>too poor to actually own a server so you need to rent it

kek

>And that costs like $2.
i wish they didn't have to ask for my fucking phone, otherwise i'd be all over aws for how fucking cheap it is

I don't need a high power server 24-7 it will never pay itself off as little as I use it, basic economics bro

There is literally nothing wrong with being a pedophile.

I have a whole year of free tier + AWS Educate credits.

What should I do with it? I'm already setup a fleet of vps with ansible but there's no end goal.

What are some good projects to do?

The poster I quoted said that docker exists and that was a reason not to use AWS, I'm saying that that user was clueless because they do so much more.

But you are also clueless if you can't see why a managed container service would be desirable. It's not about being able to install docker or not, it's about redundancy, availability, not having to fuck with your own servers and rent in a co-lo and being able to scale dynamically to meet traffic needs instead of overbuying physical servers that do nothing aside from the single worst case scenario day.

Either you are dumb or you are just too young to understand the woes of a production evnironment.

AWS is actually more ideal for people who don't need 24/7 operation because you only pay per hour and you can shut it down afterwards.

Sick ad homimem, but I'm a /fit/ homeowner who lives in the wilderness and literally fights cougars. My passion for crushing security vulnerabilities is only matched by my passion for crushing pussy.

>AWS is actually more ideal for people who don't need 24/7 operation because you only pay per hour and you can shut it down afterwards.
Yes, that's my point

>The attack surface is the same as any LXC instance
that statement alone just proves that you have no fucking clue. lxc and docker are completely different from another and the attack surfaces are not exact same.

>It is absolutely NOT more secure than a traditional hypervisor
every security works on a very basic principle "if it's more complex it becomes more compliated to secure" which in turn can be coined to "complex is insecure" just like logarithm. with docker on baremetal you have the benefit of peformance due to low latency, less ipc, etc. less attack surface due to reduced kernel and system libraries. compromise is reduced to application context, etc.

>Docker containers are also often poorly managed and out of date.
wow what an argument, lucky it can not be applied to any type of software, i sure have nothing to counter that argument.

>Docker is way over used and treated like some magic technology. It's just a tool and the only problem it solved was easier consistent deployments.
probably the only thing coming from you that isn't complete shit

I can't read sorry

10 points from Griffindor!

AWS is much more than a mere VPS provider, it is an entire ecosystem that covers your IT from the bottom to the top. Everything you could possibly do can be done in AWS

How would he know? he can't read idiot.

Soon to be per-second billing by the way
aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-per-second-billing-for-ec2-instances-and-ebs-volumes/

>when u use dmenu to run your custom script that launches a web instanceĀ®and automatically fires a guided Amazonā„¢ tomahawk missile at your little brother for breaking your GRUB configuration and thus violating the NAP

Try harder

>LXC and Docker aren't the same
Fucking duh, but they're both kernel level virtualization. Having to compromise the kernel is a lot easier than having to compromise the kernel and a hypervisor. It also introduces more subtle exploits like making denial of service against other containers feasible.

>Every security works on simplicity
No. Security requires a model of security, provable functionality and layers of defense. A 10 line of code program isn't necessarily more secure than Apache. Docker provides the model, but is pretty complex in itself and isn't old enough to be all that trustworthy. It does nothing to provide defense in depth unless you're coming from having zero isolation between your server components.

>Poorly managed isn't exclusive to Docker.
But pretty much every package manager out there is pretty well maintained. Even shit like npm is reliably curated if you stay away from obvious poo. Docker? There's a dozen containers to do a given task. Maybe none of them are implemented right. You're nearly always better off doing it yourself.

>thinking docker is a package manager

>A 10 line of code program isn't necessarily more secure than Apache
you are comparing bananas with cars. your 10 lines of code are way easier to audit and the functionality in these 10 lines, provided its not some obfuscated bullshit, most likely will have limited functionality and dependencies. and it all boils down to exactly that. the more functionality and dependencies to other services your software will have, the more attack vectors you will end up having. you are correct on the part that software should have a security model, but let's be real for once. if you have worked once in the real world, that is one of the things that isn't paid attention to or actively disregarded as it costs to much and stalls development.

>There's a dozen containers to do a given task. Maybe none of them are implemented right.
you can limit what it does, depending on what you want to achieve.

>But pretty much every package manager out there is pretty well maintained.
you really want to compare a docker deployment with a package installation? what fucking planet do you live on?

>You're nearly always better off doing it yourself.
and this is where you are completely wrong. implying that you are more qualified to re-implement the wheel is an arrogant and stupid. every decent security engineer will tell you that this is the worst thing you can possibly do, which is why you should not implement crypto libraries from scratch, simply because your average dev is not a system engineer nor is your average admin.

Thats why you embrace the hybrid cloud

Or people who doesnt care in privacy

I tries hosting a seed box there and it took them just 2 days to take it down and locked my account

>its cheap
Nope, try again

post cheaper then

>he only fights cougars
What kind of fucking pussy are you? I'm the reason that dinosaurs are extinct.

They have a fraud and abuse tracker looking for specific things like that because they will be targeted by those companies. If you want to do illegal things don't do it on AWS?

Hi,

It's special because it is architecture on-demand. You are billed by the hour which saves you money when you have certain jobs to do.

One example: You are a visual effects designer. You can either build a render farm in-house, or use the amazon cloud. Or both.

After you make your visual effects, you send it off to the amazon cloud to render. You open up 2,000 machines which are already pre-configured and ready to go. You don't need to maintain any hardware, pay any electricity, etc. Just billed by the hour.

A few hours later, your film is produced, and the 2,000 cloud machines go offline (completely automatically. Control scripts take care of everything, you literally just push "go")

Your alternative is to have a render farm in-house. Your company might only afford 200 machines, so the renders take 10 times longer to finish. You need to hire a systems administrator to maintain them, and deal with them when they fail. You must program them (clone hard drives and configure them) one... by.... one. And you have to pay like $1000 bucks for each machine.

which would you choose? My last company chose both. Our internal render farm was doing something 24/7. It was always on. But if we needed extra firepower we used the cloud.

This is just one of many, many things that on-demand technology can help with.

>t Shillutions Architrect

Well I worked as a sysadmin in a film studio and this is what we did.

Another example, in my personal life, is a private WoW server. I compiled one for debugging. Created a "base" hard drive and copied it seamlessly. I then attached it to different size machines, depending on what I was doing. Or use "snapshots" to experiment with code. When I was done, I simply reverted back to my base snapshot for a clean start again.

Elastic IP addresses help a bunch because you can detach a machine and re-attach something else seamlessly. That way, we kept the same DNS entry in the reamlist.wtf file.

>t gayman faggot

Look up Bigstep. They're doing some bare metal cloud thingie.

>post cheaper then
most VPS/Dedicated providers are cheaper in a long therm when you know what you're doing.

>long therm
*term

Sorry I'm retarded.

Can you actually host private WoW servers on AWS. Do they shut them down if they find out? I know some cloud providers are touch about this.

Don't trust Google. Don't trust Apple. Don't trust Amazon.

this seller does not ship to your country
>this seller does not ship to your country