>built on Electron
No thanks

>Using literally over 1000x more resources for no reason

death

you are going to need a bigger bait

80 MB+ per instance

>Electron
into the dumpster it goes

No, you'll need to explain what exactly is wrong with it first. At the very least, has brought up one reason for why they dislike it. As a piece of software covering a certain job, it's hardly the only one available, and having more choice can hardly be a bad thing. I wouldn't use it myself, but I can see why others might want to.

>built on Electron
read it in the accent
thank you come again

>Electron
into the rm -rf it goes.

> A Terminal
> Based on Electron
Fucking Millenials

hey faggot nigger. you don't get upvotes here.

>iphone texting "memes"
>iFunny
>some other normie site
You have to go back.

why is this making me laugh so much

you're a fucking idiot

Oh my god, thank god!

I found it hard to justify spending so much on 16GB of ram and a top notch CPU, but now that I have 20 instances of Chrome running at the same time, I finally put all my hardware to use!

chromium is how many millions of lines of code?

If everyone built all their GUI programs on chromium I would have the exact same version of chromium installed on my computer hundreds of times.

People need to work on electrino: github.com/pojala/electrino

electron is the ultimate botnet. mountains of useless code just to draw some widgets.

>built on Electron

>1: hey let's emulate a hardware relic from the 60s/70s
>2: yeah let's use Electron and modern programming
>1: what

You got me

u: have u tried running upterm?
them: whats upterm????

upboated for using the n-word

once something like electrinco happens ther world's gonna change

>Something wrong with that?
As
said.

Also, it's replacing a simple, lightweight and 100% functional with something that complicated, resource intensive and in progress, all for little to no benefit.

While not an Internet of Things project per se, it shares the mentality of IoT perfectly.

>Also, it's replacing a simple, lightweight and 100% functional with something that complicated, resource intensive and in progress, all for little to no benefit.
the average computer has 1000000x more resources than this terminal is likely to use

being 'resource intensive' stopped mattering years ago

captcha: stop advance, that's what you electron naysayers are doing

>readme recommends using FUCKING YAOURT to install on linux

This tells me everything i need to know about this shitheap

>install upterm
>oh_this_looks_interesting.jpg
>open vim
>some visual bugs nothing serious
>ctrl+w from NERDtree
>upterm quits

aaaaand uninstall this shit.

inb4 ctrl+w is default keybinding to closing windows: YES I KNOW YOU FUCKING RETARD BUT NOT INSIDE VIM.

Why would you use this? It doesn't seem to add anything useful

bitch please
a developer's time, patience and nerves are an invaluable resource

Electron shill

Lmao this shit already exists.
It's called hyper.

> PCs become faster and faster
> Software becomes slower and slower
Love myself some terminal with input lag on a modern PC.

It is heavy both on resources and size. Not a problem on modern systems but it makes a retarted mentality of not giving a shit about optimizing your software. As for other things, it is not extensible or customizable or provides tabs or multiplex support but only suggestions which can be already provided right inside on good interactive shells such as zsh and fish.

Because you're a basic bitch of a normalfag and belong on Reddit

Just because computers have more resources than you're average 80s terminal doesn't mean you should write code so badly that you use 5 orders of magnitudes more just to perform the same actions a terminal like st or urxvt/uxterm can do with minimal resources.

what exactly is written badly here? can you point to a specific file or lines of code that are "bad" in your opinion?

probably he refers to electron and by extension upterm which for time being doesn't provide features to compensate for its higher recourses usage

but being based on a browser framework interesting features could be web page preview, images and video right inside the terminal, notifications independent of the host system, and similar to nvim usage of javascript to manipulate input/output etc

>being 'resource intensive' stopped mattering years ago
this is literally the most retarded thing I have read in a long time. And the fact that I read it on Sup Forums, a place where (potential) programmers congregate, makes me lose faith in humanity.

ITT:
Poorfags without an i7 and 32GB of ram complain about a terminal emulator that will only use a few gigs of RAM and exhaust 2 cores at most.

> browser framework interesting features could be web page preview, images and video right inside the terminal, notifications independent of the host system, and similar to nvim usage of javascript to manipulate input/output etc
If they had implemented that, I wouldn't all that pissed about the terminal emulator at all. I'd just be miffed about it's resource usage but I would still think it was somewhat useful. As it is it's just a waste of RAM

>>built on Electron

>the average computer has 1000000x more resources than this terminal is likely to use
Probably 10 instances of this electron shit are enough to defeat a 2017 super computer.

run it in virtual box from remote from Nicaragua for extra retro

Same desu

t. never used electron

seriously, i'd be very surprised if it uses as much ram as a single browser tab

this electron-hating meme needs to stop, i know it's very trendy to do it, but it's just a senseless bandwagon

>Built on electron
FUck you OP

>Electron

All those wojacks from /biz/ are the stuff of nightmares.

I find it funny how I can do my everyday computing just fine on a core2duo until I have to use some shitty JS powered "application".
Even the regular web is fine for the most part as long as I use some tab suspension extensions to keep shit from eating resources in the background and block ads. Having a single browser open is fine. Having 4 of them open (since basically all electron apps have the base load of a chromium instance) absolutely murders my perf and battery life.

>Having 4 of them open (since basically all electron apps have the base load of a chromium instance) absolutely murders my perf and battery life
You don't know how electron works, right?

That's how it works for me because I sandbox electron apps.
Like hell am I letting something as complex and rickety as a browser engine touch my system. It's a security nightmare.

>but you finish faster if you write shitty code!!!
wew

so in other words you are the cause of the problem and you're trying to blame a framework just because it's "complex"

why don't you also sandbox the linux kernel? why are you letting it touch your system?

Is this worth switching from hyper? Does Upterm offer cool explosion effects like hyper?

Sup Forums is that place where dumb and smart people congregate. There's no post without retard replies in Sup Forums

>doesnt work on windows

they tried. the only time I would actually use an terminal emulator is on a fucking windows machine lol

What makesit "21st century"? Does it have cutting edge features that other terminal emulators lack?

THIS IS TRASH

looks amazing

They're implying that because terminal applications have remained mostly unchanged since the 90's, that we need a new one.

It's like if Monsanto spent millions of dollars in R&D to make an apple tree that produces fruit in the same quantity and quality of a red delicious, but the trunk whispers positive affirmations as you get close and you can change the look of the bark.

A waste of time.

Electron apps indeed use a single main process but afaik data memory and module loads are not shared between Electron processes. Please provide a link if that isn't the case. And the numerous modules used are where the problem is as for example having Skype Web in Chromium app-mode isn't a problem.

good grief. I don't want any of that. Glad it's not the only option out there.

>A terminal that depends on a browser engine

>why don't you also sandbox the linux kernel? why are you letting it touch your system?
Holy shit, how retarded can you be?

>no arguments
thanks for playing

>use a single main process
So someone not using other Electron apps will something something akin to picture related.

that looks great, it's almost everything I wanted from a terminal since I began working as a dev in the late 90s.

That's why you don't use electron.

Yeah
>Hey dude, nice terminal, how fast is it?
You don't hear this question often, it's like
>Hey dude, nice pen, how fast is it?

>a terminal emulator that will only use a few gigs of RAM and exhaust 2 cores at most.
t. professional streetshitter

>i'd be very surprised if it uses as much ram as a single browser tab
Yeah, like that' a single, unique performance. All my browser tabs consume exactly the same amount of resources, no matter to the input.

Seriously, what happens if you start to stress test this shit? Hell, it looks like it has a built-in json parser, you can pretty much blow up the DOM with a well crafted file.
$cat hugeassfile
$sudo apt-get install # auto-completion box for ~60000 packages
$cat broken-utf8.txt
$cat broken.json

>cool
Don't mean cringe worthy as fuck instead?

redditfag plz go

thinly veiled bait

It was a joke.
Which is not as funny if you realize that the terminal has 5 seconds startup time and uses ~100mb of ram.

Looks cool man integrate it into systemd.

load clink into console2 it's good enough

Or, you know, just set baud rate to 110 or lower.

So that's why everything in Windows has gone to shit.

Fucking this.
We need a systemd-uptermd daemon that spawns and destroys single-purpose containers with one uterm instance each with their own overlayfs filesystems and isolation through cgroups for security. Also requires pulseaudio so sound works with the containers. Plus glue everything together with dbus and make a web interface for remote maintenance.

Also consider:

$ yes

owned

Name one thing this can do that I care about