/pcbg/ PC build general

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an SSD. Consider buying a large SSD for the price of an HDD + SSD, and saving 50$ next paycheck to buy an HDD

If you want help:
>View this handy guide on picking parts
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>If your part list needs a monitor, be sure to include information like response time, refresh rate, and resolution
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=VhdV2wv3jQs

CPUs:
>A8-9600 (APU) - Poverty-tier builds (Don't bother with a dGPU at this point)
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop gap between the 1200 and Ryzen 5, get a R5 1400 if you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - High FPS Gaming & Mixed uses, 1600x if you can't be bothered to overclock
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use, not just for gaming

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices way up, using an old GPU / waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
Anything below the RX 560/GTX 1050ti is garbage and not worth even considering
>1050 TI - 1080p 60hz at low / medium settings
>RX 580 - 1080p 60hz at high / ultra settings, supports Freesync
>1060 6GB - 1080p 60hz at high/ ultra settings, supports G-Sync
>1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 1440p 60hz at high / ultra settings
>1080 TI - 1440p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 4k 60hz at high / ultra settings

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying any RAM, you usually want to buy RAM on your Mobo's QVL.
>Ryzen CPUs benefit from high speed RAM, 3200(+) MHz is ideal

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-001A-004K6
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G68F0482
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235056
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/MdLJcc
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/2mQRsY/phanteks-enthoo-pro-m-tempered-glass-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-es515ptg_bk
amazon.com/Designo-MX34VQ-Adaptive-Sync-Wireless-Frameless/dp/B01N4UQIGT/
amazon.com/Dell-FR3PK-34-Inch-Led-Lit-Monitor/dp/B01IOO4TIM/
amazon.com/gp/product/B0134EW7G8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/C2FG9W
gearbest.com/graphics-video-cards/pp_684595.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/XwPnxY
youtu.be/B20sgr-zgj0
amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ref_=gbps_tit_s-3_706c_7635964e&node=11608010011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1a3d4744-0d9a-4765-8b9e-48c38218706c&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=183BDXC7W0B0EV8TV7PM&pldnSite=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>1050 TI - 1080p 60hz at low / medium settings

But the 1050ti is good for 1080p 60fps/high settings

Might as well ask again

ASUS ROG (17.3" 120hz GSYNC enabled, i7 7700hq, 16gb ram, gtx1070, 1TB HDD)
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-001A-004K6

or

MSI Apache (17.3" 120hz NO-GSYNC, i7 7700hq, 16 gb ram, gtx1060, 1TB HDD)
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G68F0482

which one?

>ryzen likes 3200 ram
>decide to invest in ecc ram in new build
>3200 ecc ram does not exist
How shittier is performance really with 2133 as opposed to 3200?
Very focussed on single thread performance

This (top is 512 960 evo) but the price is $1000 off. I know the CPU is over kill but I really want a thread ripper and for the price can't really pass.

~20%

Why do you even want ECC? If it's autism then stop.

1. WIll my SLI GTX 1080 be suitable for a 4K 144hz monitor for gaming/video editing?

2. Should I wait until 2018 to purchase a 4K HDR 144hz 30+ inch monitor ?

I have 2400 and it's fine...

1080p monitor on a 1.5k laptop? Keep searching friend, you want neither of these.

Sli 1080ti barely gets 4k 60fps on ultra

in a potato game like overwatch

I get a steady around 60-65 degrees while gaming with my Ryzen 1600. Is this fine? What's the max "safe" temp for continuous use? Stock cooler and not OC

>SLI

Save the money.

I don't play all that many games but in R6 Siege I get 120fps on high. Every game I've tried I got a steady 60fps on high.

I use the SLI for gaming when not gpu mining anyways.

I'm paranoid cosmic rays will fuck up my day eventually

What are you talking about. I swear some people in these threads only skim the fist words of a post

What's the max you have/would spend on a tower? Is it something that you can reasonably skimp on or am I missing something that makes spending upwards of a couple hundred pounds on one worth it?

Bought a corsair 270r with window for 60$. Durable, simple, good airflow, ect. You can spend a lot more on a case for a variety of reasons.

What would you recommend?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/MdLJcc
$1500 budget. Mainly for gaming, internet etc.
Is it ok? If not what should I change?

Get a B350 Tomohawk or Carbon Pro.
Get 3000+MHz RAM, and make sure the MOBO supports it.
Get a better PSU, 80+ Gold or better
Also, do you already have that case? If not, how much are you going to pay for it?

>$660 for a 1070
Isn't a 1080ti like $750?

what said, but also get 2x8GB RAM, 8GB isn't enough for a lot of games.

au.pcpartpicker.com/product/2mQRsY/phanteks-enthoo-pro-m-tempered-glass-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-es515ptg_bk
Anyone know of a better case available in australia? Key features I am looking for are dust filters and at least 4 3.5" drivebays could easily do without glass meme
Why does no case maker make the bottom filter accessible from the front?

there are no 4k 144hz monitors

Thank you for the suggestions. I don't have any of the parts yet. The case is $99 but ill probs get a cheaper one idk yet
Not in Aus. The only ones I've seen are $1000+
Righto boss

>new build
>lol clock_watchdog_timeout error fag
>try every solution I found from the first 15 pages of google
>lol clock_watchdog_timeout error fag
an act of murder will be performed tonight. turn on cnn

you're fine

Any opinion on Fractal Design Core 2500?

update errything ya shit

i have narrowed monitors down to these two which one would you get?

amazon.com/Designo-MX34VQ-Adaptive-Sync-Wireless-Frameless/dp/B01N4UQIGT/

or

amazon.com/Dell-FR3PK-34-Inch-Led-Lit-Monitor/dp/B01IOO4TIM/

Anyone ever bought parts off ebay? If so how did they arrive? Is it safe? etc.

it is always best to avoid buying used parts or new parts from questionable sources when on amazon the rule to follow is if its not both shipped and sold by amazon or its manufacturer dont buy it when on ebay just dont you always run the risk of getting something broken or a box of rocks

Is ram done raising in price? This shit is getting ridiculous, wish I bought last year

>$99
That's fine if it's good, I just always expect Phanteks to be $200+. At $100 I'd recommend the Define R5, it's pretty quiet even under max fan load.

Nah demand is raising due to Smartphones using more ram.

It's Fractal Design, it's probably a good case. Doesn't look like it has dust filters though.

I don't know about these specific monitors, but I prefer Dell in general and I've heard bad things about ASUS' quality control.

Best 1440p 27" monitor that won't leave me homeless?
Never heard of BenQ, is it some chink shit?

i dont worry so much about QC i tend to have pretty good luck when it comes to hardware i have never once had to RMA a thing

>narrowed
>ultrawide
kek nice

In that case I'd pick the Dell for the $150 price difference.

IT WAS NOT A PUN!!!!!!!

>never heard of BenQ
mate are you still in the 90's?
they acquired zowie gear in 2015

what are you talking about? 150? its like a ten dollar difference

I have 3 HDDs. What's a good full ATX case? I'm looking at the Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

I have asus vw195, buttons except power button died like few days after their use, so don't even bother getting anything from them.

does anyone know what the best timing for the CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 would be?

amazon.com/gp/product/B0134EW7G8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The one on the label.

$80 CASE FOR $25

Define R5

in that case i might just get the dell and a vesa desk mount so i can finally get these two stands off my desk and free most of it up one of the reasons im going ultra wide is to hopefully reduce the power i use by running two monitors and reduce the number of cables running about

Crypto mining was a mistake. Fuggin $400 for a 1060

Budget gayman
pcpartpicker.com/list/C2FG9W

The fuck

It annoys me that I know what each part of this SKU means. Obviously 3000 since that's what it is

Cout < R endl;

OP says 3200 RAM for Ryzen, but where do diminishing returns start? At 3200?

If going for a semi-budget build where would the sweet spot in price/perf fall? 3000? 2800?

how is this: gearbest.com/graphics-video-cards/pp_684595.html shit working? Is it valuable?

2444 or 2666. Look at benchmarks. I feel the ram thing is grossly overstated in some cases. Although in others the difference is more that 5 fps

I haven't kept up with BIOS and AGESA updates but for a while 3200 was the max stable speed you could run on Ryzen chipsets.

If there is a big price difference between 3000 and 3200 sticks, go for the 3000 and run it at 2933 otherwise go for the 3200 b-die if you want to max out your system.

Looks like shit, would rather save $15 dollars and get a good $40 case

Doesn't 3000 always run at 2933 anyway? Barely any boards support faster ram. I'm glad ryzen is pushing manufactures to make faster ram, funny that with ddr3 1866 was beast but ddr4 doesn't even have an option that slow

r8 my build, i just got all the parts today

AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Prime B350-Plus
GTX 1080 Strix Aura 8GB
T-Force Night Hawk 3000MHz (2x8GB) DDR4

Nice/10

I just figured I would make it clear to anyone coming onto Ryzen that the options for speeds on the motherboards are 3200, 2933, and 2667. There is no 3000 or 2800 speed.

Sup Sup Forums
I'm looking for a new case and since most of the modern decent cases got no optical drive bay I got a question.
How fucked I would be without optical drive?

No one except for autist who insist they need one, uses them anymore.

Anybody have any idea what the fuck kind of monitor I should get? I want 144hz refresh rate with decent colors, but it seems like all the articles I find are about 1440p monitors (which I probably can't afford) or don't even mention the goddamn color.

I'm pretty sure if you want decent color 144hz monitor you need a 1440p/144hz monitor because they don't make any 1080p/144hz IPS monitors last I checked.

depends on how often you use one. Either way, you can just buy an external optical drive that plugs in via USB for temporary use.

I've not had one since 2014, The only time it was a pain for me was when i had to download a driver for my wireless dongle.
Catch 22, no driver for the CD it came with and couldn't download the driver from the internet. So i just went to a friends.

Other than that i've never needed one.

The response is right, there are no high refresh rate 1080p IPS displays. TN displays can have good color, it is just slightly worse and you have to do more research to find the one you want since the monitor doesn't have an IPS label that tells you just by looking at it.
For 1440p high-refresh IPS be prepared to spend at least $500.

i'm somehow running 3066

>depends on how often you use one.
Well, not often to be honest, but it helps in case something goes wrong like fucked up HDD/Windows reinstall. Oh, and I occasionally writing games for my old consoles.

Your best bet is the Samsung Panel that uses VA rather than TN, or make the leap to 1440p

pcpartpicker.com/list/XwPnxY
Good mega-tasking build?

Imo get a good case without ood slots than a mediocre case with slots, and consider using an external one if you really want it.

Maybe something like the Enthoo Pro M would work for you though.

I have done 3066MHz on ASRock.

>Maybe something like the Enthoo Pro M would work for you though.
There's also the Cooler Master Masterbox 5, Cooler Master Mastercase 5, Fractal Design Focus G, and Fractal Design R5

Don't worry about it unless you're setting radioactive materials on top of your dimms. If your case is metal, you're as shielded as you need to be.

youtu.be/B20sgr-zgj0

Prob about this match give or take depending on which cpu

What are the deciding factors for the choice in mainboards? Treat me like a retard who has no clue of computers.

Looks.

>$1000 motherboard
Is that absolutely necessary these days for SLIing two GPUs? Or does it have some sort of amazing feature that you absolutely require? I'm 99% sure you won't notice ANY difference if you go with a $500 or even $300 mobo instead.

If anything, double up the RAM. Realistically 16GB is plenty, but with your kind of build and budget, why settle for "realistically plenty". I've unironically ran out of 16GB before. And with a server/workstation grade CPU, you'll have the freedom to basically host servers for games and shit, or do compute tasks on a few threads - and this kind of stuff does eat up RAM: the times when I felt 16GB wasn't enough was mostly when running some servers in VMs, and then trying to run a couple of games (clients) on top of that.

I said treat me like a retard, not a lobotomite.

To my /homeserver/ folk, amazone has a 14 hour deal for networking equipment right now

amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ref_=gbps_tit_s-3_706c_7635964e&node=11608010011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1a3d4744-0d9a-4765-8b9e-48c38218706c&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=183BDXC7W0B0EV8TV7PM&pldnSite=1

Vrm Cooling, io ports, features(like dual m.2), bios, reviews, price, aesthetics. A mix of those, though generally there's never a perfect board, you just make compromises until you find a board that fits your needs.

What do you want to use your computer for? Do you intend to overclock? How much maximum RAM do you want available? How big of a case do you want to use? How important is built in networking (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) to you? Are you using a video card, or do you need on board graphics? Are you a huge faggot who needs RGB lighting all over the place? Do you intend to water cool?

Also avoid Chinese capacitors if you can, also how pretty is the board, also power phases.

>Cout < R endl;
kek

Most good cases have 5.25" bays, what are you talking about?

It's a great "I am not buying this but it looks cool" build.
I don't have a an optical drive and I haven't had any problems with that.

Cheapest tr4 is $569 I think. Fair enough, I couldn't tell too much difference between boards honestly.

Sounds like I should check up on the AGESA updates, I just set my RAM and 2933 6 months ago and left it alone.

See , And since we're explaining things like you're a retard AMD motherboards only take AMD CPUs and Intel motherboards only take Intel CPUs.

Is the difference between an 8GB RX 570 and an 8GB RX 580 big enough to justify the increase in price?

I'm looking at the Nitro+ series of cards.

Going to do some rendering, would the increase in power for the 580 be more important? Or does the RAM count more?

The 580 is about 16% better. For rendering, gobs of RAM is probably more important, but a 16% faster video card will probably speed up times by... I dunno, up to 16%. Probably less.