Why autist audiophiles love vinyls?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/is-universal-music-group-using-audible-watermarks-on-digital-files.334991/
mattmontag.com/music/universals-audible-watermark
community.spotify.com/t5/Content-Questions/Audible-watermarks-degrading-sound-on-Spotify-premium/td-p/1300815
youtube.com/watch?v=vcYRGrlOkSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They like popping, crackles, and skips.

Can an audiophile tell me every single product that is shown in OP's pic and the total price?

The potential for the most accurate sound reproduction

Why spend 20k buying a car from 5 decades ago and then another 20k fixing an upgrading it if you could buy a new prius for $20k and have it do more for less.

hint: it's a fucking hobby for people with too much money

Only real benefit is you can't compress music as hard on vinyl, so if it was mastered specifically for vinyl, it probably won't be a brickwalled piece of shit.

Yeah because streaming music doesn't do the same if not worse.

It's all about less compression

I dunno, tube amps, pre amps, phono stage, votage control shit.

Perhaps only if the master is analog. Modern LP releases are usually made from digital masters. It's pointless.

J. Sikora Allmet turntables

Not possible. Needle would skip

No one even mentioned streaming music lmao defensive much?

What are you talking about? Most bands record digitally these days, and have made LP releases. You think they rerecorded to tape just for the LP?

some have made LP releases*

Just those turntables are $25,000.

Because they never held their ear next to the needle to hear what vinyl really sounds like without the artificial "warmness" filter.

If vinyl was really good hipsters would use pic related instead.

You can't brickwall a record like digital releases. Sure its digital which is better because you don't have tape sound of metal scraping and intense eqing do diminish it but at some point it has to hit an analog chain for it to be put on vinyl. Albums have to be remastered for vinyl and I agree if done right there should be analog processing.

Yeah, I agree, I pointed that out here Thought you meant accurate as in something inherent about vinyl that reproduces sound more accurately.

>vinyl
>not falling for the cassette meme instead
Smhtbhfam

Dear audiophile,
Let me screw you hard.
Yes, quality will be astonishingly better. At least 0.1% better for only 40 grands !

Can't you just use the brickwalled master and lower the volume?

Considering it's the most popular form of attaining music even quality is garbage

I'm a DJ and a fuck ton of good records to spin are released on vinyl only. It's fucking retarded and makes my life difficult. I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't also want to sell digital copies alongside a vinyl release but a lot of labels do it like that.

You have to really watch the lower frequencies thats what really makes the needle jump. That being sad, something as badly mixed as today's pop or matellica levels don't receive the same care in treatment. Even stadium arcadium isn't much more soothing than it's overly compressed CD master. Digital was meant to give you a larger headroom/signal to noise ratio than tape/vynil but it's been the exact opposite. Never has music had a lower headroom where there might be a 5db difference between the peaks and valleys. Then on top of that, all songs hit another brickwall limiter that the radio stations employ.

Maybe to stop people from making copies?

at least there is no audible digital watermarking

forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/is-universal-music-group-using-audible-watermarks-on-digital-files.334991/

mattmontag.com/music/universals-audible-watermark

community.spotify.com/t5/Content-Questions/Audible-watermarks-degrading-sound-on-Spotify-premium/td-p/1300815

... and modern “loudness war” mastering

more than you can afford, pal

They would make way more money if they just sold releases for a buck 50 on beatport, A lot of people just buy them cause they're so cheap and easy to get. That's a pretty good guess though, it certainly lowers the possibility of piracy

dunno man but vinyl gives me more listening pleasure than any digital no matter how good quality is. vinyl sound more real (if it’s mastered from analog source). For example Jimi Hendrix sounds good only on vinyl

Because muh analog

Vinyls screeching

Going all analog is easier to do than pure digital, as nearly all digital amps are converting the signal to analog.

>vinyl

Pleb, pic related

I love how they confuse high fidelity with what's pleasant to the human ear

>white man
>black wife
>brown kid

something is wrong with this pictur ebut i don't know what exactly...

about tree fiddy

In the 20's pop singers would mimic the thin tinny gazoo type sound they heard from the 78rpm victorola playback of their idols.
Pretty much every rockabilly song recorded in the 50's used a reverb technique that looped the tape playback back into the recording heads. It worked best a a certain beats per minute. Even today, anybody doing rockabilly does it at the same beats per minute.
Today's recording artists produce music that's all about beats, melody and harmony being forgotten arts, because they emulate the compressed, toneless sound of lossy digital recordings they grew up listening to.

Because they are wrong

> most accurate sound reproduction
sound reproduction is limited by the physical characteristics of the medium, and the resolution of the needle.
Record players also filter out a certain range of frequencies (Don't remember which, if I remember correctly they suppress HF, but I need to find that information again)

This is how niggers do it. It's an engagement subwoofer.

I like vinyl too but they are overpriced by a hell of a lot thanks to their meme status. There is barely anything inherently valuable about a vinyl record at all, especially re releases and new stuff with no historical value that cost an arm and a leg just because. They're literally made out of plain old PVC plastic. Probably the only reason we refer to them as "vinyl" is thanks to marketing because they thought calling them "plastic records" would make people think they would be way worse than the old ones made of exotic shellac. I know I've never referred to "vinyl tupperware" before.

And I don't get why people have to say it's better quality in any way just to justify why they like it when it pretty obviously isn't. How could it be, you're comparing the dragging of a wire along a plastic groove to space age technology like magnetic tape and digital CD. There are reasons to like something other than it having to be "better"

>inb4 muh warm sound

you can see the lil nigga already shoved a finger into the speaker's dust cap

Yes, and this happens. I've seen several vinyl rips with the same brickwalled mastering job as the digital release, simply with the volume turned down so the record doesn't skip. A vinyl release is not a guarantee of more conservative compression/limiting.

>Yeah because streaming music doesn't do the same if not worse.
It doesn't so long as:
a) it uses TCP
b) the transcode was done at a reasonable quality

Sounds waves are analog
Vinyl reproduces an analog signal
Tubes produce an analog signal
When you hear true analog sounds on quality equipment, the difference is truly amazing.

CD players produce an analog signal too.

>using streaming "services" for anything ever
leave pls

>you can see the lil nigga already shoved a finger into the speaker's dust cap
everybody did that t b h

Digital is perfect though, as is CD. Unless you mean mp3s. Then yeah it's shit.

>I don't understand how digital works
the post

can someone explain why reasoning behind an expensive record player? i think say a standard one is a Technics SL-1200. they are common and durable.

records are mass produced, they arent masters. the masters are on the reel to reel. there is probably some loss from the master to the copy of the record.

so why pretend that you need a record player "better" than a Technics SL-1200?

digital relies too much on the DAC.
shit DAC do sound harsh and bad.

shekels

but it's like that with everything. Prices rise steadily while actual additional benefit falls off a cliff. There are very few things you actually need to be wealthy to experience anymore but richfags can't accept that. They HAVE to be better than you.

A quality DAC/ADC conversion nowadays is dirt cheap to make thanks to semiconductors being ever more developed and refined. A 50 cent opamp has a ruler-flat response, compared to a tube moonscape

People who bemoan A/D conversion were duped by people who take the horrible 16-bit sound of the eighties as reference.

Invest in quality speakers, the weakest part of the audio chain.

You are a very special kind of stupid.

youtube.com/watch?v=vcYRGrlOkSQ

The music isn't oversaturated. It isn't recorded too _hot_ on the media.
All media suffers from that now. Even YouTube, Spotify to iTunes store.

That's probably the biggest pro it has. Other than music that only got released on vinyl, wont' sound any better when recorded digitally from a vinyl.

But who's talking about modern?

also what if you get a record produced near the end of the run? isnt it going to be worse than a "fresher" one?

i do not see anyone considering that. doesnt the mold or however it works have wear?

To be honest, tape will probably make a comeback. Type 4 with Dolby S sounds as good as CD. Not better mind you but unless you're ABXing you'll never notice the difference.
Too bad there are literally 0 newly manufactured tape decks that are worth a shit and all the meme tape releases now are just type 1/2 garbage.

i hope it stays gone. hated tapes and having to rewind

This has to be bait.

I'll just drop this here.

maybe if you have a shitty turntable and dirty records

except digital masters usually have ridiculous bit depth and sample rate, to the point where if you zoom in on the master waveform, it will be smoother (as in a more accurate reproduction) than the end result on the vinyl. the only thing you don't get is the tape feel, which is an added effect, the opposite of "accurate reproduction".

Yes but not in the numbers they are producing them these days. It takes tens of thousands. If they made that many copies it would hurt their bottom line.

What I meant is, say your masters are in analog. To get it to that ridiculous bit depth and sample rate, you have to put it through an ADC, then when you listen to it, it goes back through a DAC to the listener. You could argue a direct analog to analog transfer is "more accurate" because the signal hasn't been fucked with to the same degree before it gets to the listener.

>To be honest, tape will probably make a comeback
that is so retarded

>Type 4 with Dolby S sounds as good as CD.

So just make a cd...

>say your masters are in analog
well then it's best to keep them in analog instead of fucking with it.

Just DL FLAC if you care about quality.
Entire point for me though about using analog mediums such as tape or vinyl is it turns listening into an "experience."
Nothing more cathartic than coming home from work and spinning one of my favorite albums while having a drink or lighting up. Pressing play on my computer doesn't have the same feel.
If I had the cash I'd spring for reel to reel, it's the only analog format I know of that's actually better than redbook 16/44.1.

Well we already have records for that so I don't think tape will be making a true comeback as well. It's a much more complex medium, harder to manufacture and the players have too many small moving parts. Weirdos in 100 years will probably still have the means to squeeze some plastic and drag a wire across it if that's what they want to do. Don't think they're going to be setting up magnetic tape factories.

you can do lossless analog-to-digital conversion, you know that, right?

audiophiles are braindamaged
youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

It's cool if you have records of good music just for shits and giggles. I'm not an audiophile, but they are cool.

Unless the music is very old, record studios have high quality tapes on studio.
Most are digitized those days.

I'm pretty sure the record press in my city won't even take analogue masters

They could achieve the same effect simply by playing their music via Spotify or something, while pouring milk into a bowl of Rice Krispies.

The vinyl goes SKRRRA PAP PAP KA KA KA SKIBIDI PAP PAP AND A PU PU DRRR BOOM SKIAA

You all need to read about Rotational Velocidensity to understand why vinyl is superior

Obvious bait is obvious.

This guy is accurate, skipping other nuances not addressed in the whole "analog v digital" hoopla that has been going on the past 20+ years.

Vinyl is cool because it's a physical medium for collecting music. I stream and have digital files for 90% of my listening, but vinyl gives me a way of collecting albums I like and owning albums that are almost guaranteed to appreciate in value.

Original, sealed copies of dark side of the moon go for almost a grand already. When Roger water dies this is only going to go up further, along with all the repressings.
Death grips which is a fully digital production has vinyl that costs hundreds.
I have several copies of protest the heros kezia sealed in a temperature controlled safe at a bank. Worth about a grand each now.

As far as fidelity, it's capable of sounding very good if you keep the records you listen to clean and use good equipment (proper turntable, stereo speakers and nice headphones).

Shhh dont hint at oversampling

If the goal is lossless, play only live. That whole schpeil was debated ti death when recording was a new thing in the early 1900's

Recording its self is a medium seperate from live

If your shpeil is accurate reproduction pickup the most neutral setup and assume the artists medium was intentional

You have it backwards.

You buy old hardware because it was simply made better in a time dominated by vinyl/cassette as primary music means. New hardware cheaps out on components because it's niche and not the main media format. You're also paying a premium for those features.

I paid maybe $200 total for my setup, all of it late 70's and 80's equipment that works flawlessly.

Dynamic range

That is all.

underrated

Analog is easy.

You've found it -- most DACs are shit. People don't even know they are listening to crap because "all dacs are the same" meme. Believe me, they are not. I have the perfect, low noise 2010 DAC but I much prefer the "shit" SNR '90s offering that is far more musical and has fantastic timbre. Guitars actually sound like guitars. Technology somewhere lost its way.

"I love that constant hiss with intermittent pops in my music!"

I thought audiophiles were mostly onboard with digital. Vinyl seems like its more for hipsters imo.

Tape is making a comeback in the indie music scene. Your vaporwaves, synth-waves, especially love that unpolished sound tapes deliver.

all that expensive shit and it's useless for playing out.

If I'm paying that much for some goddamned turntables, it better sound good as fuck AND I better be able to spin like Jazzy Jeff or QBert with it.

You should try out something with a AK4495 in it some time. Very natural and addictive sounding.

I agree. I find the sound is very lovecraftian.

No. That has NEVER been true. Audiophiles prefer analog everything over digital, particularly vinyl.

is that the fucking wife of the black engineer guy from terminator 2

lol

>warmth

Turns out distortion is actually pretty comfy.