/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/Init).
sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
pastebin.com/i4DALaNV
blog.notfoss.com/posts/openrc-on-arch-linux/
wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath9k
wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/rtl819x
wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/rt2800usb
rkhunter.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rkhunter/rkhunter/files/README
amazon.com/Panda-Wireless-PAU09-Adapter-Antennas/dp/B01LY35HGO
networkworld.com/article/2175826/software/linus-torvalds-suspends-key-linux-developer.html
reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4lzxs3/why_did_archlinux_embrace_systemd/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Install void

Wizards Assemble!

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
No systemd (they've implemented their own init scripts system sourcemage.org/Init).
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (package build files) not found in the grimoire (repository of spells) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

Installing SMGL is easy, here's the simplified process:
>boot a live Ubuntu (or whatever) USB drive
>go to SMGL website and download compressed archive of the base system
>partition and mount partition(s)
>extract the archive onto the new partition(s)
>chroot, set root passwd, hostname, configure network and locale, write fstab, install grub/lilo
>reboot
>compile a kernel (preferably the newest stable one from kernel.org)
>update sorcery, grimoires and the build toolchain
>rebuild the system (hold spells you've already built, so you don't build them twice)
The install guide will hold your hand through the whole process sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
Do the chroot method, since the regular live ISO method guide is out of date currently.

Here's a list of common commands: pastebin.com/i4DALaNV (embed)

Third

for

duplicate

threads

killall freetards

sell me

what repositories let me download a girlfriend?

good thread

It does not use systemd
The package manager is great
You have the option to install any package from source
rolling release
not arch

I've got a 970 with 2 4ks on it's displayport and hdmi, can't run another 4k off it since dual link dvi is my only other port

I have an rx 460 and integrated intel but can't seem to find any way of getting another 4k working nicely in this setup without buying another nvidia card.

nvidia + amd is a nogo apparently
nvidia + intel only works with nouveau but I need cuda

any other ways apart from some iommu gpu passthrough shit that I'm missing?

I'm convinced installing ty user

where did the freetards touch you?

pleasant post

Install GuixSD.

Arch is just a stepping stone.

cleverbot.io

Linux is the desktop version of Android.

>download kernel
>run make clean && make mrproper
>make: *** No rule to make target 'clean'. Stop.
how do i make this work? i need some spoonfeeding before i get my dick caught in a toaster

Read the arch wiki, it will tell you how to proceed

This is my favorite sub4chan.

I did that before posting and it's basically gg as far as I can tell
unless I'm some sort of brainlet and missed it in all the multiheaded and xserver pages I read

install Solus

fuck off u fat fuk

how come these threads turn to shit whenever I come in them?

I have Manjaro XFCE on my new Thinkpad, and it's working pretty well. I get incredible battery life out of it, so the defaults in Manjaro, as with everything else, seem to be optimized for whatever machine you install on. However, XFCE is getting kind of annoying. It'd make a great desktop environment, but on my Thinkpad, I'm basically using it like i3 as it is.

I've tried Manjaro i3 in a VM and it seems solid enough; I learned to switch out dmenu for Rofi and shut down Conky. But should I go with that? Or does anyone know if it's easy to take a vanilla Arch install to battery-life and sleep-state parity with Manjaro?

>does anyone know if it's easy to take a vanilla Arch install to battery-life and sleep-state parity with Manjaro?
yes because they're literally the same
install tlp or laptop mode tools for extending battery life even more

Retard here, I've googled a little and I'm pretty stumped. I'm running void-setup as su, I've made three partitions (sda1 as root, sda2 as home and sda3 as uefi, the first two ext4 and sda3 as fat32) however the installer will not fucking mount them. I hit enter on the filesystems tab, select the three partitions as stated above, mount them to /root, /home and /boot/efi respectively and it doesn't change. Thoughts or am I just retarded? I've even tried mounting manually and the installer doesn't recognize it. (I've installed arch in the past and didn't have any of these issues. I really like the idea of a decent systemdless distro but this is kinda frustrating.

Getting "ERROR: the mount point for the root filesystem (/) has not yet been configured" every time I hit install. Wtf.

>I've installed arch in the past and didn't have any of these issues
blog.notfoss.com/posts/openrc-on-arch-linux/

why does RMS have a fetish for romance languages? he's always holding up some frenchie or spic language thinking it makes him look cultured when in reality he's just another loner computer nut

When you're in france, you write french so the french can read your shit.

Ran rkhunter and it found all of the base/base devel group of programs "warning".
So i booted a live usb deleted those programs from the drive and then reinstalled from the base/base-devel group within the chroot.
I ran it again and it is still showing "warning".
Is this a false positive or is something fucky happening?

Learning different languages is good for your brain. Try it!

Figured it out. Had to enter "/" instead of "root" maybe I should just buy a mac and find a graphic design job

why cant mainstream linux distros install all my proprietary drivers by default? normally i can tolerate freetards but this is a hindrance to me

Posted this in the last thread but it died before I could get a response. Can anyone recommended me a wireless NIC that actually is confirmed to work on arch? I have 3 fucking wireless adapters that are all ostensibly compatible with the kernel driver and chipset wise, but yet they don't work despite going through the whole setup rigmarole, hell, one even crashes network manager

netgear WNA1100 - atheros ath9k drivers
wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath9k

D-link DWA 131 - realtek rtl8192su drivers
wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/rtl819x

edimax EW-7711 - realtek rt2800 drivers
wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/rt2800usb

As you can see these are all USB adapters, so I want to try a PCI one, but if someone has a USB adapter that they can confirm works and they use I'd also consider it

I just learn about quill, will try to make a spell tomorrow.

>thinking it makes him look cultured when in reality he's just another loner computer nut
You're projecting. If you payed attention to Stallman, you would know that he just sincerely loves Spanish. Not so much French. He holds up French signs when he's in fucking France because it's fucking France. You do realize he travels the World, right?

Install Funtoo

For a brainlet like me who failed multiple times to get Ubuntu working appropriately, what is a good distro to try again

windows

specifically a linux distro. No mac, no windows.

there's nowhere left to go homie, just try again

Mint

Doesn't change the fact that there's a step below Ubuntu: Mint.

I still win.

Did you its manpage/wiki?

rkhunter.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rkhunter/rkhunter/files/README

non-free.

Windows should never be recommended. Not even as insult.

So there is no point in even using it then?

If someone doesn't create non-free repositories for GuixSD in the next 60 seconds I swear I'm going to do it

By step below, do you mean a step below in terms of quality?

Have you tried Exherbo?

mint is ubuntu just older

Is Apparmor worth bothering with?

panda pau09
amazon.com/Panda-Wireless-PAU09-Adapter-Antennas/dp/B01LY35HGO

No. It says it's "deterministic" but then I can't find any explanation in their FAQ about why. It just looks like an improved portage and not declarative/deterministic at all

There is, you just have to read the documentation to understand how to use it.

When was the last time you tried Ubuntu? If you can't get 16.04 LTS working, maybe Android 'Linux' is more your speed.

Apparently not if throwing 'warnings' is normal and part of the design.

If you're waiting for me to spoonfeed you on how to use it, I won't. Just read the documentation. The README or using man rkhunter should clear things up for you.

*sips mountain dew from golden chalice*
*brushes food and foot pickings from neckbeard*
*sudo apt-get install girlfriend*

I'm not, i uninstalled it as it is clearly a flawed program, if default software is marked as being faulty

Well, I'm not really going to bother explaining how Paludis is deterministic to you, but the way that Paludis behaves, it handles multiple repositories exceedingly better than Portage. That's why I suggested it to you, because, while it isn't Guix, it at least is comparable in some superficial ways as a source-based package manager.

fuck off

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package girlfriend

rude

Why did systemd win over runit and openrc?

sheckles

>runit
It was never popular and people didn't feel like it was enough to move from sysV.

>openrc
>implying actual linux people fall for the Gentoo meme

Upstart wasn't very good in the eyes of lots of people. systemd had enough really, really good parts (at least when they initially switched) that moving to a new init system seemed worth it.

Because linux devs are the laziest fucking people in the world, and if they can pass or work to someone else, they do.Like they did with systemd, orginally it was an init system, but now it grew in to this multheaded peice of garbage, and its to late to back out

>windows had enough really, really good parts (at least when they initially switched) that moving to a new operating system seemed worth it

Linux devs don't work on systemd, retard.

But they work on their own distro and if they can offlay some work, you bet your fucking ass they doi

True story. networkworld.com/article/2175826/software/linus-torvalds-suspends-key-linux-developer.html

What is the best distro?

reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4lzxs3/why_did_archlinux_embrace_systemd/

tl;dr:

L A Z Y
A
Z
Y

how do i share files between 2 linux computers on the lan?

GNU/Linux*

scp

Don't call it GNU/Linux. It gives Stallsham undue credit. He's done nothing but take credit for the work of others and has the audacity to call himself a Doctor when he couldn't even finish his Masters.

>wrote emacs
Contributed to guy steele's TECO macros, later cloned gosmacs, the actual first emacs for UNIX. If stallman wrote emacs, apple is the sole creator of webkit.
>wrote gcc and gdb
He wrote the C compiler initially, but the vast majority of development for other compilers and the C compiler has came from non-stallman sources.

And he hasn't programmed in years. Stallman is washed up, and his justifications for copyleft are horribly invalid nonsense that would make more sense if they were actual thinly veiled communism instead of selfish ramblings and a desire for a world that catered to his specific social class.

netcat

with a gui
im not autistic

It's time to face the facts. Richard Stallman is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that RMS has done after 1995 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible speech.

He demands that Linux be called GNU/Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason GNU, GPL, and FSF are still a THING is because of Linus and the invention of Linux. If anything, Stallman should rename GNU to Linux/GNU, because without Linus, the GNU, GPL, and FSF would not be a thing anymore.

Stallman still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone" right after Steve Jobs' death. What an asshole. Stallman has not even programmed a single line of code since 2008, that was AFTER he essentially stopped in 1992.

He should be fucking grateful Linus stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for Linus, he would be nothing, he would probably be dead in a Burger King dumpster right now.

Besides, what has he ever even done? He claims to have written eMacs, but in reality he actually cloned gosmacs (the first eMacs that was made for UNIX). He didn't even write 50% of the code in eMacs.

You might say he wrote GCC and GDB, but the truth is that he initally wrote the C compiler, but now the vast majority for the same compiler is done by contributors.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in the Soviet Union. Face it GNU/Freetards, Richard Stallman is a fat dickhead, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Linus's achievements.

then use the botnet cloud like a stupid normie

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

Linus writes beautiful code. He has published some side projects that he wrote all on his own and the code is just wonderful. He also lives in the real world while still maintaining his open source ideals and supporting himself through his work.

RMS is basically a homeless loser who hasn't made any real contributions in the last 20 years. He is still super butthurt that Linux beet HURD (but hey, HURD just got basic sound support in 2016!) and basically tries to claim Linux because Linus used GCC and the GNU coreutils. He survives on the charity of others and speaking engagements where he spouts his insane, paranoid, philosophy. Basically he won't be happy until all the programmers are homeless hackers like him and all the companies are shut down. How people are supposed to support themselves and their families in that scenario aren't things he has to deal with because he is basically a permanent grad student. He does make some good points about privacy, but for him, there is no middle ground. Anything that may reduce your privacy even the slightest bit (like movie recommendations on Netflix) is evil according to him, and must be destroyed. In a lot of ways he show classic signs of mental splitting, which is a classic symptom of mental illness. To top it off, when he does write code, he does so in the style of the awful GNU style guide which is a crime against humanity IMHO.

So, in a nutshell:
He's a bird-fucking, self-absorbed, power hungry, toe jam eating pedophile that thinks everything should be free and everyone should be forced to share, who looks like he hasn't showered in years so as to create a static shield around his body to protect from aliens. He also created an OS without a kernel because he's basically Steve Jobs gone communist. Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.

Reminder: GNU and FSF exists because Richard "M" Stallman got a hissyfit at a printer being propriatary, yet printers are still propriatary. Richard Stallman has contributed literally nothing to the world.

Mods

Jesus... XFree86? Mandrake???!!! How fuckin old is this pasta????

Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

Unironically, Source Mage, more freedom if you know what to do

have you tried NixOS?

>Linux more secure than windows.
>Try it out
>Set up account
>On login screen
>Hit backspace 28 times
>Account becomes backspaces bitch.
>Linux is more secure???
>Gose back to windows.

so gentoo?

We haven't had mods here in years.

Is it worth to use Plasma 5, if I'm going to rice it until it looks like and have the same funcionalities as GNOME? Besides all the KDE programs I'm going to uninstall.

Just tried it on boot (encrypted hard drive). No joy. Considering that the boot encryption was an option upon install, I guess I don't understand the argument.

Do you actually own this? Can you tell me what drivers it runs on?