I want to repair my old XBOX, it's dvd drive has broken and wont

I want to repair my old XBOX, it's dvd drive has broken and wont
read discs or even extend. Changing it seems very easy, but what
DVD drive do I have to buy that will work with it. Will any drive do?

See if you can find the product number on the current dvd drive, it should have it on a label somewhere on it. check ifixit for a guide on replacing it to make sure there's no not so obvious steps

fuck that dude just get a mod chip
cmon son

very good idea, thanks user. I'll get to it tomorrow.

I want to tinker with it. Besides, modding consoles is rape.

If the drive tray isn't releasing, it's likely because the little rubber band that drives the motor has worn out. You can replace that.

If the drive isn't reading discs, find a replacement disc drive of the same model on eBay, and put it in. Or just go to any yard sale and buy another Xbox for like $20.

Yeah, seriously. I guarantee that drive is going to cost more than just buying another Xbox. I got my replacement Xbox a few years ago for like $15

does the tray sound like it wants to open but is stuck or is the whole drive fucked?

mine used to barely read any discs then i cracked it open and wiped the lens with some vodka. was good as new. except for the fact i broke the case to shit.

You don't even need to replace the rubber band. Wash it with dish soap and put it back in.

Throw it away, video games are for children and you must be 18 or older to post on this website

i remember my brother buying replacement controllers, and then realising you could get a whole used console, two controllers and a bunch of games for less money.

so grown up life is all shitposting and no games, huh

It's about not being a useless faggot and spending your time on a degenerate hobby that makes you less valuable to society

Like shitposting?

>valuable
>society
>caring about society

No one is giving you any points for not playing video games. enjoy yourself OP

>LE GAYMES R 4 KIDS MAY MAY! XDDDD

t. manchild

t. douchebag

If I remember correctly, you can just use any old drive.

there are literally no good games for the xbone.
kill yourself, dude bro.

Is it a Thompson drive by any chance? If so, replace it with a Philips or a Samsung drive.

>xbone
>OP pic is clearly an original Xbox
Are you retarded?

>says this on a anime website

adding to what everyone has said so far: you can try disassembling the drive and cleaning the laser with isopropyl. might get some more mileage out of it.

other than that, change the rubber band (if you can get it working) or get a philips/samsung drive.

you /can/ get any drive working through some tinkering but it's hardly worth the effort.

>OG Xbox
>not modding it

there's something severely wrong with you. modding the og xbox has been the must fun I've had.

removing the clock cap, bridging minuscule points, worrying the light is gonna go out as I flash the bios, etc.

>I showed you my dick. Now show me yours

Fuck that buy a working one and softmod it

These things were great to mess with back in le day

I have a mod chip from years ago, but it requires a working DVD drive.

holy shit that face says retard all over

Pretty much this it's like having a Dreamcast and not pirating every game

Let me guess it's a samshit drive model?

I thought it was the Thompson drives that were shit.