This is my current system:

this is my current system:

Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8GHZ on stock Wraith Spire Cooler

16GB G.Skill Aegis 3000MHZ @ 2666 MHZ

Zotac AMP 1070 8GB

ASUS B350 Prime +

All I do is game basically aside from office applications. I could jump to a 7700k with an AIO Watercooler for about 200$ keeping the RAM and switching to a ASrock Z270 Extreme 4.

Would that be worth it? Are games going to use more cores in the near future?

If you really want to throw away 200$ just buy a ryzen + next year

>zotac,only 3000mhz ram on a ryzen, stock cooler,

Why you hurt yourself this way

Nice.

Absolutly not.
1700 and 7700 currently have basicly the same gaymen performance and the 7700 has nothing left to give. With high core count CPUs becoming the mainstream expect more optimization for many cores in the future.

>3000MHZ @ 2666 MHZ

You are fine.
Just I'd get a better cooler for all day long 3.8GHz.

Why are you even considering this? The 1700 is excellent in every regard, and specially at those clocks.
Are you playing a comptetitive fast paced E-sport at a professional level?

cant get it higher with the most current bios

>Are you playing a comptetitive fast paced E-sport at a professional level?
I do exactly that and i notice no difference in performance between my 4ghz 1700 with 3200 mem and my brother's 7700k @ 5ghz with 2933 mem

>3000mhz @ 2666mhz

Just get a Pentium dude, it's fine for gaming.

i was thinking of getting a 240mm aio water cooler

Yeah, but you know how them fps autists are.

That'd work. There was a 280 cooler master AIO on sale for $99.

Strongly consider updating to the AGESA 1.0.0.6 bios. Only the absolute worst ram can't hit 2933 on ryzen.

i got 0806 bios which supposedly supports that but i can only go to 2666

>GETTING AFTERMARKET COOLER FOR RYZEN

it would mostly be for noise and temps as i thi k voltage limitatons are holding it at 3.8 not temps

Update to 808 or 902. 808 has "improved memory compatibility" and 902 has agesa 1.0.0.6B, which I honestly can't find any information on. But Asrock says it has no changes to memory timings or training.

Most 1700's can exceed 3.8 before hitting vmax. I highly doubt it's 100% stable with the stock cooler at 3.8 anyways, if it is. Better cooling could likely get it pushing near 4ghz. Also the stock cooler isn't particularly loud.

ur right i just updated to 806 a couple days ago ill check the new ones soon

problem is the asus b350 prime +cant really set voltage manually has a weird offset mode with low max voltage

git gud, learn how to manual timing those ram

Absolutely overkill for a 1700, just get a decent air cooler

That's just a b350 thing. They don't offer fixed voltage settings. It's like buying a cheap Z board for intel. Also, make sure you have the SOC voltage turned up to 1.1-1.15v if you haven't allready. Some boards default to 1.1v. Can also try switching the command rate to 2T. I imagine the 808 bios has some preconfigured sub timings to help weaker ram clock.

Eh, I'm thermally limited with a 280mm AIO. But the corsair h-series gen 2 pump is garbage. So there's that. Literally everything about my 1700 is overclocked, though.

At what voltage and temps?

well i was going to get a arctic cooling 240 pretty cheap right around the price of a noctua d15

105bclk, 3884 core 1.4v , 3500 memory 1.4v, SOC is at 1.15iirc. To be clear, when I say thermal limited I'm talking about 100% load stress / stability tests. Touching into 70-73C TDIE. Ideally you keep it below 70, and beyond 73C it'll either crash or become unstable.

Edit: I had it running fine at 3.96ghz with 3200mt/s memory, but when I started pushing the soc harder with higher memory clocks is when it didn't like exceeding 105x37 on the core.

If you want to jump to Intel at least wait for coffee lake. An 8350k is going to be cheaper and do nearly as well as that 7700k

I don't even get why you would be considering this. You're basically wondering if you should switch from a pretty fast system to another comparable pretty fast system. That's more like a "sidegrade" than an "upgrade".

Also, avoid AIO watercoolers. Just don't even consider them. Yes, they are fine on paper. Then two years later liquid from it drips down on your GPU or even your motherboard and now you're screwed. Your luck will obviously vary. One friends luck was bad. I've recommended against AIOs after seeing that.

Aftermarket coolers are worth it for Ryzen as long as you go for one which is gigantic and ridiculously over-rated. Mine is rated for 140W CPUs. It's totally worth it. I don't overclock and I don't care about the temperatures either but I do care about noise. If that matter to you then a huge aftermarket cooler is totally worth it.

>Ryzen 7 1700
no, just get 1600 for games
there is no need for 8 cores, 6 have some benefits in min. fps/stutter compared to i5s
-want to buy dead socket get 7700K
-want housefire on dead socket with exact same fps as 1600x and no stutter get coffeelake in october(if they go with meshbingbus it might be even worse fps haha)

>I could jump to a 7700k
>wanting to jump into the lake of fire

It's a bit more messy than initially looks.
The 7700k will give you higher frame rates, but will also make the game have more hitches.
Intel fix your max frame rate, AMD fix your min frame rate.

Consider installing gentoo.

And using both for your video card benchmarks is totally fine!

There is no fucking reason to switch to a 7700K. Same gaming performance, but the 7700K is running on the edge where the ryzen has plenty of years left in performance.

Also for fucks sake work on that ram. Why are you running at 2666mhz? Get that shit up to the 3000mhz, you are only sandbagging yourself.

Asrock makes the best AM4 boards. Every time I see people who can't get 3000+ has an asus, msi or GB board. I bought my 1700 with Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 in a combo a few months ago for onlu $414. I have 3200mhz working on it.

Nothing wrong with Zotacs. Had a few of their gpu's and never had a single issue.
Is it because you cant afford nice things?

already have it

Your 1700 @ 3.8 GHz is never going to bottleneck a 1070. No point unless you're upgrading to a 1080 or 1080 ti and gaming at 144hz.