/hpg/ Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3ad4NsEy1tg
youtube.com/watch?v=EAHQ0K_IK7c
youtube.com/watch?v=bBsKplb2E6Q
innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-471-affordable-sealed-over-ear-headphones
amazon.com/Saimly-Earbuds-Earphones-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B071CD5Y4D/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB50AP-Extra-Earbud-Headset/dp/B00JRD13T8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=k271542222
yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=q174726967
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ruby!

>spending +$600 on air vibrators
stop doing this you fags

no

here's my setup idol trash. I sure do regret falling for this memes. properly eqd dollar store ear buds would sound so much better then these shits

>+$600
tfw $600 is a cheap headphone vibrator

these things are pretty darn good. Much smaller than I anticipated but they still kick.

what do you think about this chain of posts?

it's VERY important

>but they still kick.
tfz will kick much harder in the same price bracket (

I bought the upgrade cable for mine to improve the microphonics. You should pick it up

One of the posts is fultered, so it was prolly a shitpost. Rest seem like normal /hpg/ stuff.

Nah I'm just that tripfag that triggered you because youre a cuckold.

please cuckold me senpai

What are some headphones (Preferably below 300$ USD) that are excellent for listening to orchestral and classical music, in this case, accuracy is a must. Hopefully, some individuals on here are dedicated audiophiles/knowledgeable in this field, so any help is appreciated!
>Open/Closed for this application?
>Over the ear (Circumaural)
>Would be nice if an amp wasn't required
>500$ maximum total (If headphones + amp) or less than 300$ just for headphones

I got a cheaper interface which had audible white noise that was annoying plus I had the amp/dac from before. I would say if you already have an amp there's no hurt in a dac but really not much benefit either.

AKG K701 + Magni 3 + Modi 2

Monoprice m1060, akg k701 or 702 and a magni 3 and modi 2. Hifiman he-400i would be a good choice as well.

Don't be afraid of applying EQ, no matter what headphone you choose it can make an improvement as long as you don't try to compensate for extreme dips in frequency response.

what's an upgrade to the HD558 that actually has Bass? Does such a thing exist?

HD600 + schiit stack

Fidelio x2

AKG K612 with Magni3 and Grace DAC.

HD600 & Vali 2

The first on-ear headphones I ever owned were beats by dre, and they were a gift to me. They are garbage, and I want to know what the cheapest headphone I can get is that sounds better than my old headphones.

>Cheap headphones that sound better than beats by dre

KSC75

quick post a song
youtu.be/3ad4NsEy1tg

youtube.com/watch?v=EAHQ0K_IK7c

Best (Neutral) Headphones for under 100$ for mixed music (No rap or bass intensive crap)? Are the M50's still relevant, or was it just shills at work?

SHP9500, AKG K240, Superlux whatever, .etc .etc

anything that's over-ear will be miles better than any on-ear

SHP9500, especially since you don't need any bass.

>$600
What are you, fucking poor?

$600 is entry level

Ultra-poorfag here posting on friends computer. My budget is 20$ and I would like to know what the best headphones are in this range.

Tascam TH02/CT02 or you could go Chi-Fi with IEMs like KZ IEMs or with earbuds like Yincrow X6 or EXM500.

Are Audio Techinca m40x's a good deal? Will I regret it?

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

I like mine, user.

Time for a comparison:
>Name your headphones
>Listen to this orchestra youtube.com/watch?v=bBsKplb2E6Q
>Tell us how you perceived it

For a piece like this, would closed or open be optimal.

Yes, and yes.

this may sound like a dumbass question since i dont really know the terminology of it, but how do you guys set up your volumes? do you max it and rely on the amp/speaker volume to control it? or do you control it through the sound mixer? both? and do you also change the sound settings in games too or what?

Yamaha MT5, M40x, and MDR7506/cd900st are all better than the no bass 600

Change Log:
- removed HD-205-II because no one particularly likes or cares about it
- added HD-206 (successor to HD-201) because it fills the closed back price gap between the $27 S400B and $49 ATH-M20x
- reclassify UR40 as semi-open
- make prices horizontal

>t. traveon

Why not add the SR60e?

>calling them cans
>>>/reddit/
>>>/head-fi/

anyone here have experience with the m70x? is it as ear rapey as people keep saying?

considering it over the msr7 because it's said to be much more comfortable and has better iso

so much wrong with this shit site.
>hd800/s don't show up when detachable cables is checked
>hd650/800/s "amp required"
>ether "amp required"

I'll get around to it.

Would you prefer headphonepicker.com? Picking a not shit .com is hard, deal.

Fixed.

>hd800s

>Budget: around $100
>Location: US
>Source: Laptop or phone
>Type of headphone: Full sized
>Open or closed: Closed back, going to be sitting in the library mostly and my roommate is pretty loud so i want good isolation
>Comfort level: moderately comfortable. i wear glasses so idk how that will affect this
>Sound signature: dont care
>Past headphones: I've only really used shitty iems
I was thinking of getting either the sony mdr7506 or ath m40x but i'm open to suggestions

innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-471-affordable-sealed-over-ear-headphones

NVX XPT100

>>calling them cans
fuck off you fucking nigger newfag, people have called headphones cans since time immemorial

Give me the quick rundown on wasapi/asio.

99 classics is not open.

And neo too.

If accuracy is a must, the HD 600 are the most accurate headphones out there at the given price point. They have a slight sub-bass roll-off and a little bump at ~100 Hz, but their mid range and treble response is unbeatable. I recommend you to go for the HD 600 + Magni 3 + Modi 2.

The best way to go:

Configure your DAC to the highest bitdepth and choose the frequency of most of your music collection (usually 44100).

Use the maximum volume in your DAC and then control volume from your amplifier, EXCEPT if the volume of the amplifier is too near from 0, because it can produce channel imbalace. Usually that channel imbalance is gone after 20% on the amplifier.

>Budget
$300

>Source
MacBook Pro / Dell XPS

>Type of headphone
Full sized

>Open or closed
Well I don't want people around me to be able to hear what I'm listening to, so closed I guess? I'm not worried about outside noise getting in.

>Comfort level
I have sensitive ears and would be wearing these for hours every day.

I'll mostly be listening to classic rock, but I enjoy most genres at times. I also don't want to look autistic when working at coffee shops.

On second thought, 250 is more in line with what I'm comfortable spending. Not a hard budget though.

Sennheiser HD 569, Audio Technica ATH-M50x, Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

I hope you don't follow the advice of

Not him but what about the windows and foobar volume sliders?

In theory, the optimum is to max all digital volume (be careful, some programs like VLC can boost volume over 100% and produce clipping). Anyways, the effects of this are most likely imperceptible.

I'm going with O2//ODAC and HD700, thanks.

Hd700s are bright as fuck and need EQ, just a warning. Otherwise they're good headphones. As long as you avoid the hd600s you're fine. Their sub-bass takes such an extreme dip that they're not a good candidate for EQ.

Sounds good, grabbing T1 Version 1 instead.

Meze 99 classics if you don't have big ears.

SRM-T1 I hope.

Infographic link leads right back to this thread and the pastebin doesn't work.
What are good sounding >50 dollar IEM that won't crap out after a few months of use?
for the record I quite liked these for the two weeks that they worked. but they just crapped out tonight and came back a half hour later, which just isn't reliable enough for me
amazon.com/Saimly-Earbuds-Earphones-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B071CD5Y4D/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I'm looking at these as a possible replacement, any thoughts?
amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB50AP-Extra-Earbud-Headset/dp/B00JRD13T8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

also I already have a pair of ATm50x for more dedicated listening, but I'm looking for light buds with a mic and control panel

That with the CCS mod for the driver tubes and paired with say, the SR-L700 would make a truly nice affordable end-game setup for most people.

>SR-L700
You know, I have been eyeing this model.

Kz zs5. Cable is detachable.

KEF Q100 or ELAC B6?
Both cost ~300€ in my country.

How do I deal with waiting for HD6xx?

Fixed.

by getting superior etymotic er4-sr

So, as I'm sure most of you are well aware, on other forums it is just accepted as common knowledge that different amps significantly affect the way a headphone sounds. For example they believe the thx00 might be sibilant on a magni but isn't on a vali 2.
This is FALSE right? As long as the amp provides adequate power that's all that matters and anything past that just gives you more volume.
How do I debate these people?

Tube amps typically have greater amounts of second order harmonic distortion and a higher output impedence, which can result in a different sound signature than solid state. That being said, any solid state amp that provides enough power to a headphone and has a sufficient output impedence should sound similar. The amplifier and headphone pairing can have an effect on sound quality, but it's almost never related to price and more or less electrical compatibility.

How does a good soundcard with integrated DAC & AMP compare to external DAC & AMP combos?

I'm currently using a shitty USB head*set* and I plan on getting some good Headphones (planned on getting HD600s so don't meme me), but space concerns have made me consider buying a PCIe sound card with integrated DAC & AMP over external DAC & AMP combo, because I really do not have place to put them.

Will my setup be considerably worse with the soundcard compared to external DAC & AMP setup?

So is it okay to buy a tube amp then? I would like to own one but not if it's pointless/retarded. I have a solid state that is sufficient.
In particular the vali 2 as it's only $150.

> How does a good soundcard with integrated DAC & AMP compare to external DAC & AMP combos?
> I'm currently using a shitty USB head*set* and I plan on getting some good Headphones (planned on getting HD600

I got this far.

Wha? Are the HD600s bad?
But I was told they're the best to get into the whole thing... Have I been lied to?

Look into the little dot mkII and mkIII, the dark voice 336se, and if you're handy with a soldering iron the bottlehead crack. Here's the thing though, tube amps, especially OTLs like the ones I mentioned, work best with high impedence headphones because of their own relatively high output impedence. So I'd only get a tube amp if you have high impedence headphones. The only reason I don't recommend the vali 2 is because the little dot and dark voice offer a much better deal for the money, and the vali 2 isn't OTL which offers huge advantages over transformer coupled tube amps. Also, the magni 3 was just released so I wouldn't be surprised if schiit offered a revision of the vali 2 soon.

Unless the sennheisers are way, way higher performing than audio technica air series, there is no reason to consider them next to electrostatic products.

Are the HD600s not good entry level audiphile headphones because of their neutral sound and affordable price?
That's what I understood them as, so that's why I wanted to get them.

Well what's high? Is 250 "high"?
If it isn't then I guess you mean stuff like the dt880-600o

Oh, don't bother with entry level anything when you can get endgamey products for the same price in the second hand market as a new HD600.

I'm weary of buying second hand products, and I'd like my first to be something brand new. Are the HD600s really that bad?
I also don't live in the US, so I don't know of the availability of second hand audiophile products.

pls respond

yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=k271542222
yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=q174726967

>Are the HD600s really that bad?

No; they're just unattractive compared to these sort of auctions.

That's perfectly fine for most otl tube amps. I was referring to stuff like 16 ohm iems and 50 ohm planar magnetics, shit like that.

This but unironically.

Elacs get my vote. Q100s use a first order crossover that's super primitive (bad) and are an extremely cost compromised budget design.

Look into Klipsch rp-150m and wharfedale diamond series.

If there's hifi shop near you, I suggest listening to a variety of headphones before making a decision on a pair.

Most people who have listened to other high end headphones before usually don't buy the hd600s.

Wharfdale Diamond 10.2 and the Klipsch would cost ~250€.
How do they compare?
I probably won't buy a sub for quite some time so good quality bass would be prefered.

Okay, I'll see if there's any hifi stores nearby and see what I can test.
I wouldn't want to make another regrettable purchase.

But seriously now, is a dedicated soundcard considerably worse than external dac and amp? Or will I be fine?