Which should i learn

which should i learn

Other urls found in this thread:

mathworks.com/products/audio-system.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Leave

English

Aim for C++, VisualBasic or Phython.

You won't get anywhere with the rest except some obscure NEET dev forums ten years from now.

Depends on what you're making. If you're unsure, learn prolog.

All of them :^)

HR will want you to know all of them.

>visual Basic
Try clorox

None you need to go with any web based framework

you can argue about javascript framework bullshit but even then you're miles ahead of anything else in terms of your marketability ie not 15 year old autistic desktop binaries

LISP

Try a couple basic programs in VB or Python.

Then become really good at C.

Then learn the basics of OOP in Java.

>Moving on to web dev?
Master a C# or Python stack.

>Doing data analysis / sciencey shit?
Master Python.

>Just want to sit in your uni library looking like a 1337 haxxor?
Just fuck shit up in a really cool-looking java editor and tell ppl you're "fixing a bug right now" and it'll be a couple days before you can run it again.

Java if you want a stable job in a big corporate office or you really like Android.
C# same as Java but you love Microsoft.
JavaScript if you want a job in a startup making a lot of money.
Python is one step down from JS, or if you want to be a data scientist.
Swift if you really like Apple.
PHP if you want a job but like being poor.
Go/Perl/OCaml are decent but not that many jobs.
C/C++ if you an autist.
Visual Basic/Objective-C Never.

SWIFT

>C++, VisualBasic or Python
>VisualBasic

What year is it!?

Seriously though, do yourself a favour and learn C# if you're going to go the Microsoft way.

Assembly. Man up.

I've heard to start with MIPS or ARM assembly. Good recommendation? I'm thinking x86 assembly is a bad first choice.

If you want to fuck with web development pick up Golang & JS (HTML, CSS, React).

Right there you have everything you need to create fully functional web sites, web applications, desktop programs and mobile apps (React Native). Fuck you can even use AppEngine with Golang for some sick botnet infrastructure.

You should be at least familiar with C and C++. Python is easy as shit, so it's pretty much a given as well.
Java/C# (or JS) if you want an easy job
Visual Basic if you want to kill yourself
Go if you want to bait Sup Forums
Objective-C if you're into development on Apple platforms
PHP if you want an easy, shitty web job
Ruby if you don't like Python and don't mind the much lower market share
Perl if you like having fun and have to do shit related to text manipulation

There's no reason to learn C# when you could learn Java.

One of Java, C# and Python. Since I learnt with Java, I will go with that.

If you start with Java (or C#, I guess), I would recommend starting by ignoring anything about objects at first and learn procedural programming. Just make a file Foo.java and do all your programming here.

public class Foo {
public static void main(Strings[] args) {
// create your program here.
}
}

Learn about variables, boolean conditions, if ... else and switch statements, while, for and do statements and arrays. Then start learning about objects.

Get to know all of them, pick one-two that suit you the most (you feel comfortable with them and there's market for them that also matches your interests) and master them.

C to learn imperative programming
Haskell to learn functional programming
JavaScript plus a cuck framework if you want to make any money

Common lisp

Rust. It's modern and replaces old legacy languages like C and C++.

COBOL

Serious answer: java, c#, javascript with html and css, maybe python.

Meme, anime, Sup Forums answer: c++, c, assembly.

I highly recommend start with java after you get the idea of programing you can be able to choose what you should go from there. They are easy to learn and use. But of course these are for the people who has no idea what they should do and wants to learn programming. If you be more specific about what actually you want, i can help with that.

You should have a reason to learn every language you do learn.

- c
If you ever need to do time critical systems programming, c is it.
- python
Most popular scripting language out there. Easy too do complex tasks in python with few keystrokes. One of the leading languages for machine learning.
- Lisp (dialect)
The only language that lets you acheive satori. You'll have to learn it eventually if you want to read SICP. good for emacs too.
- A _pure_ functional programming language (ocaml, f#, haskell, etc)
While functional programming will always be less popular than impreative programming, applying functional programming parigdims that you can learn by learning a functional language can be applied to other imperitave languages. Functional programming is also better for multi-threading because it eleminates race conditions.

Verilog. Join the digital master race.

For a code monkey job java and python
Learning code from ground up and learn how to write efficient code c and pre c++11
Being an agile programmer and use a swiss army knife, learn perl

Honestly this, it's easy to learn C# once you know Java, plus it runs on mobiles too
Visual Basic is nice for starting out doing basic programs because it teaches you how to use variables and make simple algorithms without having to understand more complex things like in C, but it's really not worth it, just go Python if you want to do that

don't know this one

Lisp.

Not OP but as a guy who programs things for hobby and fun, Visual Basic always got the job done but I want to learn something useful or better in general. I want to program something that handles and routes audio, although that's just some idea in my head for now, I was considering Python as I've only heard good things about it but considering I mainly use Windows I don't know if using Python is a good idea.
I'm just your average Sup Forums dude asking for programming languages to learn but if you've got any advice please enlighten me

Ask yourself what you want to make?
Goto the relevant forum
Use whatever they are using

Assembly

>javascript with a java logo
triggered af

Python is good and another alternative is matlab which i am not really into it but you are asking for audio processing stuff, matlab has tools for audio processing. C++ also doing the job but no need for extra heavy work.

mathworks.com/products/audio-system.html

Solid reply

>pure functional language
can anyone explain this meme to me? how do you create SIDE EFFECTS with PURE functions? how do you handle STATE?

I've never heard of matlab, I'll check it out, although between the two I'd just use Python at this point. Although I'm wondering, if you program something in Python on Windows, will it look and work exactly the same way on Linux? (if it even works at all)

>javascript with Java logo
pajeet, you are drunk, go home

pure functional languages have no side effects by design, they are designed to operate in exactly the same way everytime they are called. Functional programming languages operate as mathematical functions (eg f(x) = x^2)
Purely functional programming must use immutable variables

There are no side effects, and all functions operate in the same way regardless of state.

Exactly, which is why I don't understand how you can implement networking, disk reads and writes, user interaction etc with PURE functional languages. These are by definition side effects

The only thing i can think of is redux+react (which can be used in a purely functional matter), the framework hides the state mutability and reactiveness behind pure functions, but it doesn't habdle network etc in a pure way

Monads.

I'm completely unable to dualboot or install anything else on my laptop
I guess visual studio is good enough for everything no?

THE C PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Not pure

>Its another anti-C/C++ poster

Java for finance.
JavaScript for startups/trendy new companies.
C# for nearly every small to mid size company.
C++ for AAA gamedev and obscure performance critical advanced jobs.
Python for science and education.

C# and Java if you want a job

Why is Java so popular with companies?

best ecosystem, most stability

python if you ever want to finish a project

If you have to ask, learn python or javascript. These are easily the most versatile, widely used and future proof of the bunch. If you're more interested in web development, go for javascript. Otherwise, go for python.

It really doesn't matter. If you know python, you can do basic stuff in every language. If you know C++ well, you can everything.
The only thing different is syntax and small shit you find after googling for a minute.
The language specific stuff isn't really worth shit if you have to ask what to learn.

Teacher at uni started teaching about objects first and only after some months she started with the procedural at the main method

Why would it be better to skip objects and classes and learn main first?

Kek >VisualBasic
What industry do you plan to work in?

Java is the bottest of nets

What is the main difference between a server side program and a client side program? Can a program running server side be blocked by an extension like umatrix?

>Visual Basic.

t. Someone who doesn't develop anything fucking ever.

Visual Basic is universally hated, for good reason, it's an overly verbose fucking mess.

You should learn C and use Code::Blocks.

I know C++ coming from an Electrical/Comp engg background. I have done courses in Data structures and a graduate course in Algorithms.

How difficult is it to pick up JAVA?

I have a good hand on perl and shell scripting too.

Please just fuck off showing off your dump script.

Ive made a reply script with actual PROPER spacing in 10 minutes in Python

>c++
>meme tier
What an abhorrent post

>C/C++
That doesn't exist

I did it in 10 minutes too, and in Python, too. These threads are fucking cancer, I'm not doing to show off, I'm doing this to kill them.

I never shit on normal threads, I only do it in pointless "Vim vs Emacs", "Programming Lang flamewar" and other utter crap threads. Deflating the (You) value, which is why they were created in the first place.

>obscure performance critical advanced jobs.
Like what?

Is it possible to make a Sup Forums clone and have things like quick reply boxes without a single line of javascript?

Yes, there is no reason why you'd need javascript for that.

>python
curl $1 | sed -e 's/title="Reply to this post">/\n>>/g' | cut -c-10 | sed -n '1~2!p'

Cool, now make it in assembly

>2 seds

Even a scrolling reply box is possible without javascript?

No one uses go for Web dev. Hell I have never seen a job opening with go as a requirments outside of google, and even then they expect to have to teach it to you.

Hardware jobs, ui for hardware interfaces, basicly anything one step up from true embedded but not Web dev.

In the time before c# java was the best option if you wanted something higher level and didn't want to fuck with c++ and all of its flaws. In the last 10 years there have been many arguably better options but java has a lot of inertia from dominance in the 90s when many systems were first write and the first large wave of people learned programming.

Found the Pajeet

Type safety, memory management, same "binary" runs anywhere, decent eco system

you use a server side language like PHP to auto generate everything in static html. That's how everything worked in the days were not every webpage was a fucking Windows 95 loc project.

None. Install gentoo n learn to web dev in assembly.

C++ to learn basics of OOP
Ruby, python you can pick up fairly quick so might as well add to your list
Java/JavaScript for programming
go and c# are easy to pick up once you know java/js

haskell

C++ and Perl for lifetime employment

Haskell vs Lisp?
The ultimate debate

PHP is the absolute worst language you could use for a server side language, learn perl or python.

learn node/angular
learn php

>ruby
lmao

>you use a server side language like PHP to auto generate everything in static html
fuck off with this meme shit. Sup Forums was fucking crap to use without quotelink/backlink hover, no instant reply and no dynamic thread updating

Yes. Look up position:fixed and a:active

C++
Python
lua

Not perl because it is garbage tier ancient languages. The only reason you might learn it is to consult for companies who are to brain dead retarded too upgrade to something made this century, downside to that is you need 30 years experience.

Haskall is just retarded.

D and Genie

>fuck off with this meme shit.
Right, you were there back then and didn't come recently

It's contentious. You'll have arguments about objects first vs objects later approach.

I learned Java from the book and accompanying lectures my lecturer wrote when I was in uni.

He's said you learn it 'just in time'. The book is Java: just in time.

I had no issue with it back then. It was very effective.

that's why you should start with C and then switch to Java when you're already familiar with basic control structures, functions, and you know what an array or a linked list is. then it's relatively easy to grasp what OOP is about by studying Java Collections Framework and other standard library stuff

Script - Python
Back-End - Java
High Perfomance - C++

Docker and CoreOS jobs want it, ive seen that

Accurate

LISP YOU FUCKTARD