Aww yeah! Got a RAM upgrade.

Other urls found in this thread:

vanalboom.org/node/17
downloadmoreram.com/download.html
bio.gsi.de/DOCS/AIX/scratch43.html
mega.nz/#!8kkT3Zqb!eSEX8znAjNQxC1ZyE_DhEBDlrYrP1SNyVj8XzbiH7so
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Where did you download it?

One does not download RAM, user. If you mean AIX 4.3.3, I didn't download it. I own a copy. Still, BetaArchive has it on their FTP.

Well, I say own. What I mean is, I have install media. I don't have a *license* per se, as IBM would still charge an exorbitant amount if you could even get one.

what's your hw setup?

lol, he buys ram.

RS/6000 7011-250

Are you that guy with the RS/6000 320, or someone else?
>tfw once you got money for a 43p all the cheap ones vanished and now you can't even find fucking Suns that aren't being jewed to death

Fuck that's even better, I want the shit out of a 250.

I'm not sure who exactly you mean. I did post a picture of my SPARCclassic on here before.

I've also got an HP Visualize C3700 and a Sun Ultra 1, but they are projects for a future day. Still on the lookout for an SGI and a DEC Alpha

Here's the SPARCclassic

>that three button mouse

did you have to replace any of the component or have you been maintaining everything in working condition for all this time?

Cute. I'm posting from a Visualize C3000 right now.
There was a guy here a few months back who bought an early RS/6000 3x0 in a server configuration a while back, but I think I remember you from either the same thread or a different one.

I got the Sun keyboard and mouse new-old-stock. The SPARCclassic looks nice in this photo, but some reject drew all over the top with Sharpie. I haven't gotten to getting it off yet.

My Ultra 1 is a bit of a basket-case. Lots of video problems (the video card is causing kernel panics). It's sad, because I spent a lot of time tracking down a fairly rare video card for it that could do true color. They are usually limited to 256 colors.

Most of my systems are eBay finds. I usually wait until I can get one for $300 or less.

This is further proof that every Unixfag is poorer than dirt.

Any idea how to get CDE to work without network access. I can't get to the desktop at all on mine. Actually, I can't even get to dtlogin now, as the screen goes black after the boot messages are done.

Try Japanese ebay or their own second hand computer stores too. They have lots of SPARC enthusiasts over there.

I collect them as a hobby. You'd be surprised how much some systems go for, regardless. SGIs can fetch several thousand dollars depending.

I actually got the video card from Germany. I had to have someone be an intermediary, as the seller refuses to sell to the US. It's not like an expansion card weighs anything...

>They are usually limited to 256 colors.
That doesn't sound right to me at all, do they only work with creator/creator3D framebuffers or something? Those don't even seem that hard to come by, then again I mostly just look for UPA systems.

The original Ultra 1 doesn't have any UPA slots. Only SBUS. The later Ultra 1 Creator has the UPA slot. I had to find a fairly rare 3rd-party video card for doing true color on SBUS. The RasterFlex.

I think I had this same issue when I initially got it but I can't remember if I actually did anything to fix it or it just worked itself out when I got it hooked up to a network, I think I did end up patching up some entries in the hosts file and other places, but I'd have to go dig it all up again.

Meh, maybe I'll just see what happens when I get it on a network. If not, I suppose I can always just reload it.

Dedotated wam is the future.

I kind of want to try severing this thing from the network and rebooting it just to see what happens, I think X just shits itself if you have a static IP set up that it can't talk to.

It was long enough ago that I can't even remember, I'm just happy to have the fucking thing working even though there's not too much out there for 11i v1 anymore beyond aCC and fartapps on the P/A Centre.

Why such a new monitor, OP? hp1740 masterrace reporting
>tfw no more time to work on my raspberry pi os, because I am not NEET anymore ;_;

Sun has a much better community, it's true. Even my RS/6000 has more stuff available. AIX 4 was pretty long lived. I've even got a boxed copy of VisualAge C++ for AIX kicking around here somewhere.

CRTs take up too much room. I live in an apartment. Leaves more room for more workstations.

>gotelé on the walls

Is it 1980?

It is called Rauhfaser, you mongoloid. It is still the masterrace of wallpapers

It's shit and unaesthetical as fuck. Might as well throw shit into the walls.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if there was even software on these things to begin with. It feels like the platform probably had a lot more appeal to the "roll your own" crowd. I'd just like to find some kind of CAD for it at this point, I ordered a cheap fx4 card to pair with the fx2 I've already got but I guess I'm just going to be squandering it on running a second monitor.

Sun's kind of lacking in that area, too, but at least you can find stuff that's actually maintained, and I don't think anything can match Nekoware on IRIX for desktop stuff anymore.

Dassault CATIA was I think the CAD of choice for HP-UX

um, try again sweetie

Have you seen this article, looks like a reasonable overview of the current state of HP-UX as a general desktop

vanalboom.org/node/17

I think so. Wish I could find a copy, I think it needs a dongle too.
Maybe I should just get over myself and put GCC on here after all. Abiword sounds nice since I couldn't get WordPerfect to install and teTeX is probably going to eat shit whenever I get around to trying to build it.

trips confirms

Germanbro detected. Heil Hitler, mein Führer.

Umm i'm pretty sure one downloads RAM. I just did it last night from here downloadmoreram.com/download.html

Sweet!

>Still, BetaArchive has it on their FTP.
Seriously?

>I own a copy.
Share it somewhere? IBM does not give a crap anymore and I don't have anything to share to BetaArchive.
That's the only reason I haven't used my RS/6000.

>AIX
Why would you do this to yourself?

can it run windows NT?

>ugh I'm such a lazy dumbass
>ugh why do other people do interesting shit while I'm too dumb and lazy

is that a magneto-optical drive? how much does a cartridge hold, and do you swap disks in the cartridge or does each disk come with its own cartridge?

Yes, but why AIX?
Of all the UNIX systems I've worked with, AIX was the worst.

Looks like a caddy CD-ROM drive, younfriend.

>person says they collect UNIX workstations
>UGH WHY
k

they look a bit similar

No, only AIX. It's an MCA machine. Windows NT only supports CHRP machines.

Yup, caddy CD-ROM. I'd like to get an MO drive at some point, though.

I'll see what I can do. I'll take a look at ripping them after work.

Dude, that would be godsend.
Thanks!

Does it work with only specific keyboards or any PS/2 one? Just you won't have a speaker without a original keyboard.

With AIX 4, any will work. I've heard (but not tested) that you need an original Model M for AIX 3.

How about the computer itself? I heard they won't give you a local graphical terminal unless a keyboard is connected.

That is correct. You must have a keyboard plugged in for a graphical terminal. Same as on a Sun workstation. You can use a serial terminal instead, of course.

it means unixfags actually like computers for what they are, rather than treating them as consumerist status symbols

On another hand, you're both a weeb and a frogposter, so I changed my mind.

Fuck off.

This. UNIX fags are cool.
I'm not one though.

This person is not OP. I am OP, and will still consider ripping that install media for you.

user who's looking for the install here.
I know, it was obvious.

Let's try to keep this a nice UNIX related thread.
4.3.3 is on 3 CD's, right?

I don't recall exactly how many off the top of my head. I know it's more than 3 with the bonus pack (which I'll rip too, if you like).

So I wonder if it's my PS/2 keyboards that won't give me a graphical local terminal.
You won't get any local content unless you have AIX, right? You at minimum need the AIX boot floppies and have the DISPLAY floppy?

It would be nice.
Do you have the boot floppy images too? I have copies of the ones available online, but it won't get past booting the first floppy.

...or I guess the floppy images might be on the CD too anyway.

On the 250, at least with the firmware version I've got, you can boot directly off the CD. I don't have any floppies. As to your other question, I installed while using the serial console, not sure if it would display.

IIRC, I followed this guide.
bio.gsi.de/DOCS/AIX/scratch43.html

Nice meme normie

It's a 320, IIRC you can only boot off floppies and then continue with a CD or tape media install.
I read that for a local terminal install, not serial one, it will ask one of the boot floppies and then once it finishes loading it, it will present a prompt on the local screen.
The machine does not have a CD ROM build in, but I have a compatible SCSI CD ROM drive to use for the installation.
I know it will run 4.3.3 at least, even 5.x will, but that's too much for an old machine like that, so I should be able to install it, somehow once I have the media at least.

I never gotten any serial terminal to work with it though, it has the IBM serial connectors, not standard DB ones. Maybe I just haven't found the right pinout.
It also didn't have a graphics card at first, but I found a compatible one that should work, at least the manual says so. It came with a serial card for multiple terminals (good luck finding the pinout for that...), so it might have been set up for some special configuration that still saved and hence won't give me serial terminal on the normal ports.
Sync-on-Green VGA monitor. I don't have a proper keyboard, but many PS/2 ones.

Thanks for the link.

I really want to get it to work.

To add to that...
The three digit LED display says everything is OK though.

That sucks. The 250 has standard serial ports (male DB25).

I will get it to work eventually. No worries.
I wish the original hard drive would have been OK and with an AIX install, but it was just clicking and didn't boot, but a got a new compatible one.

cute

Re-checking some things, apparently is _can_ boot straight from a CD-ROM also.
Tested it with a random CD, it does indeed try to boot from it!

>One does not download RAM
Please be joking

The AIX machine I have at work sits forever waiting for the network to come up during IPL if it isn't plugged in.

>PPC IBM

Specs?

I want that background color and the icons and well all of it actually

- CPU: IBM PowerPC 601 @ 66MHz
- RAM: 128MB (waiting on another 128MB kit to arrive)
- Storage: 1GB IBM HDD (going to replace with SCSI2SD at some point)
- Graphics: GXT150
- Sound: IBM Ultimedia

Nice machine!
Made up your mind about helping me with those 4.3.3 images?
As I know now it can boot straight off the CD, then that's all that stands between me and getting it to work.

bump

why is it green?

Just got home now. I'll see if they're already ripped. If so, I'll upload right now. If not, give me a bit.

That's just what color AIX uses. Sun uses black text on white, so they're a bit weird too.

>faggot tranny Sam still blogposting on Sup Forums after all these years
I thought you would've killed yourself by now. At least you don't post your faggot plush duck anymore.

Who are you even talking about?

They're already ripped. I'll compress and upload to Mega shortly. Watch this space.

>Just got home now. I'll see if they're already ripped. If so, I'll upload right now. If not, give me a bit.
Thanks a bunch dude!
I already set up the machine with the CD-ROM, etc.

They are uploading. The zip file is 3.28GB so it may take a while to upload (Mega estimates 1hr). My cable connection doesn't have the fastest upload speeds.

I hope you don't mind that they are in mds/mdf format rather than iso or bin/cue. That's just how I had them stored, and I don't feel like taking the time to convert or re-rip.

I've included:
>The install CDs (4)
>The Bonus Pack (3)
>The Documentation CDs (2)

>They are uploading. The zip file is 3.28GB so it may take a while to upload (Mega estimates 1hr). My cable connection doesn't have the fastest upload speeds.
Thanks for taking your time for doing this!

>I hope you don't mind that they are in mds/mdf format rather than iso or bin/cue. That's just how I had them stored, and I don't feel like taking the time to convert or re-rip.
No, it's perfect!

>I've included:
>>The install CDs (4)
>>The Bonus Pack (3)
>>The Documentation CDs (2)
Sweet!

Here's a picture of my machine, just temporary setup to get things going.
On it's side so I can have the CD-ROM dongling on top, else I use the horizontal stand.

Nice! I wish my 250 had that many card slots. Two just isn't enough. Mine came with a soundcard, and ideally I'd want to add both a fast Ethernet card and a Fast/Wide SCSI controller. As is, I think I'll just go with sound and Ethernet.

Also, you need to get one of those IBM external caddy load CD-ROMs. Really ties the machine together.

It's all MCA slots though, does yours have PCI too?
No sound on mine, but it has Ethernet and I have an AUI to RJ45 adapter also.

I'd be happy with any external SCSI box for the CD-ROM, but they are hard to come by.
I have one on a 68k Macintosh, but no cable to use it with the RS/6000.
Maybe one day...

Both the slots in mine are MCA, yeah. I have Ethernet on the motherboard, but it's 10mb only. Also, it only has an AUI port, and I don't have a transceiver. The 10/100 cards are twisted-pair though, so that kills two birds with one stone.

Chinks sell transceivers that actually work on eBay for a few buck though. Free shipping.

You have a cute little machine, beats the gigant ass box that I have. Not to mention, yours is several times the horsepower.
My jaw dropped when I first saw the PSU rating on mine, for 650W.

Here you go:

mega.nz/#!8kkT3Zqb!eSEX8znAjNQxC1ZyE_DhEBDlrYrP1SNyVj8XzbiH7so

Let me know when you've finished downloading it so I can nuke the link. I don't see IBM caring, but I'd rather not leave it up for longer than necessary.

>Let me know when you've finished downloading it so I can nuke the link. I don't see IBM caring, but I'd rather not leave it up for longer than necessary.
Downloading!
Will let you know!

>tfw upgrading to 16MB of RAM

Well, it's 128MB, to be fair.

Finished downloading!
Also made a backup of it too. So I'm all set!

Thanks again, great to have such people.
Making things interesting for everyone by helping!

I don't know how far I will get today though, as it's early morning already and I have a long drive ahead in the morning and will also need a couple hours of sleep.

>(I'm totally fucking hyped though.)