What kind of monitor do you use, Sup Forums? How big is it, and how long have you had it? What have you used before?

What kind of monitor do you use, Sup Forums? How big is it, and how long have you had it? What have you used before?

I'm currently using a 1080p Samsung TV that's 40 inches, but I'm looking to upgrade to a 144hz monitor soon. I've been using it less than a year, but it was in storage for a while. When I googled the model number and found out it was 1080p, I traded up from a TV that had some weird ratio that, until then, I've never heard of before. Before that TV, i've used a 1400 by 900 monitor that suited me well.

I'm looking to get the Asus VG278Q when the money comes up. From my research, it has the best review ratio on Amazon and it has all the things I'm looking for. Just need research a bit more, but I think I've found the one. Anyone have experience with this particular Asus model?

i use my laptop monitor. its the same size as my laptop

a word of advice: when choosing a monitor, make sure it's 120Hz+. even if you're not a gaymer, the difference in everyday use is huge. everything's buttery smooth.27" size is great.
60Hz monitors are shit.

2 cheap LG ones, a 24" IPS and 21.5" TN cancer. 1080p obviously. Both were about 100-150 bucks when I bought them like half a century ago. Before, as in 2004 or so, it was a 4:3 TN one with 1024*768.

I am mostly on my 12" laptop and 1920*1200 though and can't find anything worth upgrading for.

You're mostly right but it's a huge fucking pain to find 120Hz + decent resolution + decent aspect ratio. If one is a gaymer it's easy but if you want something nice for work, the shit is basically impossible to find. I'd rather go for resolution/aspect ratio over refresh but obviously it depends on the usage scenario.

I bought a Dell U2715H somewhat recently.
27" 1440p IPS is nice.

I own the 24" version for about 3 or 4 years now, while having 144Hz is somewhat nice, I'd never buy a TN panel again. Makes my eyes bleed everytime I want to do anything besides playing vidya or watching videos.

How's 27" 1440p w/o scaling, usable? Been thinking about getting exact same model, but I don't want to use scaling (because it sucks ass in legacy programs and operating systems)

>How's 27" 1440p w/o scaling, usable?
It's perfectly fine. The DPI is only slightly higher than 24" 1080p.
There is no way you would need to use scaling.

Actually, 30" 1440p is still higher dpi than 24" 1080p

I've heard that 25" version of your display needs to be used with 125% scaling

Still on a 37 inch 720p lcd tv desu. It was a gift back in like 2010 I think and the power button is just now starting to go out.

Will probably go down to a 34 inch 1080p when it dies.

The difference is only 20 PPI. Only when dealing with 4K monitors do you need to worry about that shit.
I have the aforementioned Dell monitor next to a 24" 1920x1200 and I only notice the difference when I'm looking for it. Text is still completely readable, and you don't have to strain your eyes.

I use an LG 29um68, but I'm gonna upgrade to either the acer predator x34 or the asus pg348q, most likely the latter.

Jesus christ, that sounds horrible.
TVs make for garbage monitors, and that's not just because of the PPI.

Poorfag, using an old 1680x1050 dell ultrasharp. Colors are absolutely HORRIBLE. Apparently the display is a 6-bit that tries to emulate an 8-bit color range. Its from around 2007 I think so what can I expect really. My second is a samsung syncmaster #######HD, I don't remember the model number but it seems to work fairly well. Its 1080p, works both as a TV and a monitor in one, with a vga, DVI and hdmi port along with cable. I use it as an extension to my first but I also use it to play ps4 or xbox360 on. Pretty comfy.

24" 1080 is pixelated ass

Alright, I think that this post convinced me to upgrade my setup.

Mentioned by OP asus has horrible image / color quality, and the other two displays I use are cheapos which are pretty bad and old as well. I wonder if going from 3x 24" 1080 to 3x 27" 1440 is a good idea, currenty one of my displays serves exclusively as a display for the social media and botnet messengers machine, made to contact my normie friends. I'd got rid of it, but eveytime I diconnect it I feel like my workspace went way smaller. Eh. Any tips for managing multiple displays more effectively?

Still rocking a cheapass Korean IPS panel, 1440p, OC'd up to 96 Hz. I couldn't get it to rock 120 Hz, there's one dead pixel (I hardly notice), the stand is cheap shit, and it only takes DVI, but for $300 3 years ago, it's been a damn fine screen.

Yes, it is. However, it doesn't really matter if you sit more than 1 m from your display.

24x1080x144ghz
don't buy monitors with g-sync, it's useless crap

The input lag user is pretty bad user, not gonna lie especially since csgo is the only vidya i play

There's a Massdrop going on for the Viotek GN32Q right now. It uses the 31.5" 1440p 144hz curved Samsung VA panel, for just 400$

From what I've seen testing the 27" 1080p version, these Samsung panels are pretty damn good. Curve didn't matter much at 27" but for a VA panel I would prefer it over flat for a 32"

>it’s the same size as my laptop
I love this board. Other forums just can’t compete

i bought asus pg248q recently, it's flickering and has horizontal stripes, common problem for this model. should've sent it back to the store but i'm too lazy. don't buy this overpriced shit

I disagree. I've swapped back and forth from 60hz to 144hz several times. There is a slight difference at first, but after like 15 minutes, i dont even notice it anymore. I would 100% put money towards a higher resolution for my next monitor over higher hz. If you like very prcise, accurate shooter games, it probably makes a difference, but for casual use, I dont think there's really a point. it all comes down to personal preference though. I have friends who swear by it and will never use anything else, and friends like me who dont notice much of a difference

27-inch BenQ XL2720T 120Hz (secretly, it supports 144hz)
Got a real nice deal on it for less than $300 at NCIX a few years back. A 3D monitor but I never use the feature I just really like the high frequency for gaming, even tho I don’t play shooters much, it’s just very nice and smooth looking. Especially on MOBAs

Also WHAT THE FUCK is wrong captchas right now?

Anything over 1920*1080 is a meme.

>BenQ XL2720T
my nigga

1920x1080 got it for free from inside my neighbor's house

It’s so good and I’m floored everyday by the price I got it for, almost half off the going retail price. It was closer to $200 but I don’t remember too well now. If I ever replace it in my life it’ll be because it’s broken, or I fall for the IPS meme

And seriously, what the shit is up with captchas? Normally does 2 slides, this time I got 4, and I’m getting truck loads of the ones that fade the squares in and out 18 times before you can go, and then after the check mark I hit post and it tells me I failed to enter captcha?

Give it back Jamal

there's a black stain-like thingy on my monitor just right now.
i was playing some cool video game when suddenly a quick zap occur and black stain-like thing appeared.

do i have to replace it or is there a fix or even like first aid kit of monitor world?

its a laptop monitor btw

You know there are better options in 2017 right?

I mean, I'm not saying it wasn't good when you got it or you can't enjoy it, but people primarily choosing monitors on anecdotal posts like this and Amazon reviews from the uninformed masses, is the reason ancient inferior shit like the VG248QE and GN246HL are still the most highly sold monitors in 2017.

Backlight dying. If the monitor is fairly new you should be able to find an affordable replacement LCD for it on Ebay or such

144Hz monitors are great, even for just regular desktop usage. It's basically free vsync , running a game at 144Hz and capping the game's framerate at 60. There's still screen tearing but the refresh rate is so fast you almost never notice.

>27 1080p

jesus christ, 1080p already looks like shit at 24, can't imagine how putrid it must be on 27

1080p was never good, even in the late 2000's. You need at least 1200 vertical pixels not to be a pixellet.

>it's useless crap

clearly you have never used a proper gaming pc with g-sync or freesync, you lying poorfag retard, it makes gaming smooth as fuck

kys

not that guy, but there is some merit to what he's arguing.
G-Sync is basically only sold in expensive 144hz monitors - but 144hz is already a godsend for tearing and smoothness, so you're paying 100-200$ extra for something you don't strictly need. There's ULMB of course, but strobing is not Nvidia exclusive.
Yeah there are 4K and ultrawides at lower hz, but only due to bandwidth limits and they're still expensive as fuck

At least with Freesync you can have a nice looking 60/75hz 1080p/1440/4K IPS or VA monitor in the 150-400$ pricerange.

I play some games but I'm really itching for a 4K IPS. Don't really care for the 144 meme. Found a LG one for about $350

yes there is the goysync tax, that's why i mentioned freesync too however there are often problems with freesync due to garbage amd drivers, even on fanboy r/amd people complain for ages about the flickering, also freesync monitors are much more rare and usually cheaper crap like samsung with abysmal quality control, g-sync monitors are the better choice if you have the money, also amd is now basically making miner gpus so good luck capitalizing on their supposed lower price unless you buy an abused and burned second hand mining card

>flickering
Yeah still a problem on some Samsung monitors. But flickering in general is a meme - it does occur but also on G-Sync models

>freesync monitors are much more rare and usually cheaper crap like samsung with abysmal quality control
Rare? Samsung has good quality control, but the early production models aren't great. You pay for curation with G-Sync monitors in part, hence why I don't particularly hate them charging extra for their high end models. But Freesync has a high bar these days too

> amd is now basically making miner gpus so good luck capitalizing on their supposed lower price unless you buy an abused and burned second hand mining card

Mining boom is done now, stock and MSRP are coming back.

At the end of the day Freesync might not be ideal in practice yet. But you can't defend Nvidia for effectively gating adaptive sync for the rich and leave the midrange and lowrange users with nothing.

I use that 32" 4K Samsung TN monitor. It's nice and I really enjoy the size of it when I do work. TN is such a dramatic dropoff compared to IPS though

>he doesn't modify the screen in his laptop

I upgraded to the 25" recently, the text is small but not eligible, I like it.

Looking to buy a 27'' screen, was thinking about iiyama XB2783HSU, anyone has this? Light gaymen, vs and shitposting.

>no, I don't want 2k

I'm waiting for an LG 32UD99-W to be delivered.

Had two Asus 21.5 inch 1080p 60hz monitors for about 2 years or so. Want to upgrade to 1440p 144hz soon but I'm not sure if my GPU (GTX 980) can manage that, plus, I like the size of my old ones as I sit pretty close to my monitors.

same here. but 60 Hz without dead pixels

Acer R240HY. Wish I got a 21" with a better base.