Cinnamon or KDE?

So the thing is that I'm planning to make a clean install of Linux Mint on my PC; and i can't decide between Cinnamon desktop or KDE.

As far as I know, Cinnamon is the light version that has a low consumption on the machine resources.

On the other hand, I have KDE, that it's suposed to be visualy better, with more effets (like transparency, 3d cubes, jelly-like windows...); but obviously it consumes more resources.

So I want to know which one would you use and why. Also, if the difference between the Cinnamon and the KDE desktop with compiz is big or not.

Don't get linux mint
It's a shit os infested with spyware and it's just shit in general
Even n00b0nto is better than linux mint
Please, if you want a good os just get anything else
plz

what do you suggest me?

Cinnamon is very comfy

memejaro

Antergos/manjaro
it just werks and also AUR

I use KDE and i like everything about it

Debian Gnome

only good option

I want to see rule 34 of konqi fucking katie in the ass

>Antergos/
I'll check them out

does the performance derease or?

Depends on the computer i guess
It usually works ok for me

Here OP

Those who suggest other distros, please tell me why do you prefer them.

It would be interesting to do a performance check on virtual machines...

mabye i should do one..

Total fucking lie
Don’t listen to his bullshit. Mint is totally fine, especially if you’re a beginner. I suggest cinnamon if you want eye candy, I prefer MATE for the stability.

VMs will give you a basic idea of how it runs, but it’s still very different when installed on the actual machine.

I honestly don't understand why anyone runs anything other than XFCE.

KDE probably performs worse but that doesn't necessarily mean anything
if it works hood enough on your computer why does it matter if cinnamon performs better

Get KDE Neon, I run it in a trash laptop (Intel 1007u) and it's smooth.

Thanks.

Thank you. I've been arround linux mint a year or something. But i wanted to hear other opinions.

By stability do you refer to low incompatibilities rate or the performance of processes?

cinnamon shills will defend this

Cinammon is a really nice DE but I've found it to be very buggy in my experience. I often have to restart it because it often leaks memory or something, and sometimes my applets won't all load properly when I do.
It's probably my own lack of understanding that causes it, but das it mane.

VM's are actualy preet used nowdays. for example in servers n shit.

But i was suggesting that because is a way to normalize the testing conditions, in order to compare them properly

mmm you say so.... i dont know. Maybe it's true. But also KDE has bugs, (more if you use compiz
yeah, that's what i was thinking. Maybe just i was wondering if i miss the desktop effects...But still, it has indeed some nice DE Cinnamon also.
)

kde is better

Performance while still being functional and lightweight. I chose it back when I first started using Linux due to it not feeling so alien compared to windows. It helped ease the transition and I’ve never had any problems since.

Well Cinnamon is a "Default" mint theme. And also cinnamon is a pretty nice DE. It looks perfect by default and is very easy to configure and is trivial to change theme, especially when you have many pretty themes to choose to download from cinnamon spices (Official cinnamon mint repo).

Well as i said Cinnamon is a "Default" mint DE so most of tutorials are made for mint cinnamon so its easier to make use of them.

For me Cinnamon is the best DE while KDE is my 2nd best DE.

Because some people dont have junkputer and XFCE looks uhhh old so windows 98.

>looks perfect by default

KDE is sexy as fuck straight out the box, whereas visually with Cinnamon, you might as well just use Mate. As far as KDE hogging resources, I log in to about 300mb RAM usage, and about 600 with Cinnamon, so there's that. My 6 y/o Acer laptop with 1.4ghz/2gb RAM runs KDE just fine, and Cinnamon was a laggy pile of garbage.

tl;dr
KDE a sex
Cinnamon a shit

>Virtualbox
Don't bother replying, I already know

so why does it cut off when there isn't an eject button
why is so unstable that the need for a dedicated restarting widget is justified
why is the fucking window manager named fucking "muffin"

>I got owned: the post

Cinnamon for normies trying to into Loonux
KDE for "muh apps"-lets
XCFE + i3 for actually Linux users

No GUI arch for GNU wizards

Cinnamon >>> KDE
KDE is buggy af.

you're fucking retarded. get some meds.

KDE for thumbnails.

Thumbnail in filepicker>>>>>>>>>>>>>no thumbnail in filepicker
Don't even get me started on Krunner

who gives a fuck about file picker when you can't even use it for an hour without crashing?

>pointing out a glaring UI problem is being "owned" and "retarded"
>disabling animations doesn't actually disable them all (expo)
>im "retarded" and "need meds"
jej

KDE Neon user here, haven't crashed since I installed it two months ago.

just stretch it out you stupid pajeet. and get some meds for that raging OCD of yours. shitposting on Sup Forums is not therapy.

I am using it on openPepe leap and it works grate, looks nice and what is most important it is really customizable without a need to download a ton of shit. It's not the lightest on resources but If you have 4 or more GB of ram you should be fine.

yeah mabe it's just the transition what buggs me...
thanks user!

thanks for your opinion user!

Maybe i just want to use Mate in the first place. Thanks

>Mate
two fucking task bars. why? whats the point? just use cinnamon.

@62563793
I swear to god, I see you in every thread I visit, inevitably spouting some manner of smarmy ineffectual garbage at everyone.

Biggest namefaggot Sup Forums 2017 0/10 would not (You)

Ditch both and get XFCE

tha'ts a nice DE indeed. Is that a dock or the taskbar?

Also the window style is default on the OS or it's external?

KDE until gtk4.0 drops then it's gnome all day.

How do non-KDE users deal with no thumbnails in the file picker?

Try neon. Zero bugs.

What do they even add with it?

That's a dock, or rather it should be called as an additional panel.
The windows' style is default and it's great. One more great thing I love about XFCE is that you can totally customize its look by simply tweaking its default options without having to use external programs. For instance in this new pic I got I set the opacity of the top panel to 0 and it's even better than the pic I posted before. Simply lovely. Plus XFCE is very light. A colleague of mine and I have installed Xubuntu on all the computers at our school and it works like a charm, even though the computers are rather old.

I shal consider this option too then!

/thread

God damn I love K-Runner

XFCE is not bad option but well, good for weak computers, decent on better PC-s, for example newer computers diffrences in resource using between XFCE/LXDE and cinnamon/kde are VERY VERY SMALL compared to resources what computer has. 100 mb ram usage diffrence will be deal for 1 gb ram computer but for 16 GB computer its like nothing.

You're absolutely right, infact now the differences in source usage between XFCE and "heavier" DEs aren't as big as they were before.I used to have Ubuntu on my laptop (i7 3771, 8 GB RAM), but then I decided to try Xubuntu just because I had already installed it on the computers at the school I'm working in and I wanted to test some things on the OS at home. I didn't notice such a big difference in performance but I was immediately struck by XFCE's ease of use and customization's options. I love Xubuntu so much I'm almost tempted to install it through VirtualBox on my Windows 10 desktop and see how it works. I'm just a little worried by the fact that my desktop has 8 GB RAM, maybe I need more to run Xubuntu on virtual machine...

XFCE.

>Try neon. Zero bugs.
Bullshit. I use Neon and there is lots of bugs.