/pcbg/ - PC Building General

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an SSD. Consider buying a large SSD for the price of an HDD + SSD, and saving 50$ next paycheck to buy an HDD
>If your build needs Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter. General rule of thumb is more than 2 antennas

If you want help:
>Remember, we're not here to build a PC for you, we're here to help you
>View this handy guide on picking parts
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>If your part list needs a monitor, be sure to include information like response time, refresh rate, and resolution
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaymen, Video Editing, VM Work
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=VhdV2wv3jQs

CPUs:
No i5's unless discounted
>A8-9600 (APU) - Poverty-tier builds (At this point, if it's for gaymen, you should just buy an Optiplex and put a GPU in)
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (~500)
>R3 1300x - Gap between 1200 & Ryzen 5, consider a 1400 if you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best bang for your buck with gaymen & mixed uses, 1600x if you don't like overclocking
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use, not just for gaymen

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up, using an old GPU / waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>1050 TI - 1080p 60hz at low / medium settings (Anything below this, if it's for gaymen, you should just buy an Optiplex and put a better GPU in)
>RX 580 - 1080p 60hz at high / ultra settings, supports Freesync
>1060 6GB - 1080p 60hz at high/ ultra settings, supports G-Sync
>1070 - 1080p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 1440p 60hz at high / ultra settings
>1080 TI - 1440p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 4k 60hz at high / ultra settings

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM, 3200(+) MHz is ideal

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Delid-Die-Guard-Delid-Relid-Delidding-Kabylake-Skylake-6-7TH-CPU-DIE-protector-/232427111403?hash=item361dbc43eb:g:GtgAAOSwp1dZevye
ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/N2kdnQ
pcpartpicker.com/list/yhX4zM
pcpartpicker.com/list/GzmCHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/8MWc8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/8mqdZ8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

AMD always wins

Sup anons I'm build a mid range PC can you suggest me any 1080p 144hz monitor ?

Don't buy Ryzen it's low quality chip.

Would be fucking helpful if your components you goddamn moron.

Hello, where are the good looking mini itx cases at?

My CPU Fan is not running even though it's plugged into CPU_FAN on my motherboard. What is going on?

What do you mean ?

Thoughts on this case?

It's pretty sexy

>tfw no good, cheap, tiny micro ATX case

can't find a prodigy m for shit here.

Reposting from the stupid questions thread because no responses.

I'm thinking of falling for the RGB RAM meme(g.skill) for my Ryzen build since it's the same price as the normal version but I need to know if you need the software running for it to use something non-default. Specifically for when I'm dual booting linux. Can anyone who has it chime in?

>fetting an mATX case for an mATX mobo
found the problem

Node 804 is an option. Other than that and the phenom/prodigy there's not much for matx except for "this is out ATX case but 2 inches shorter."

>tfw fell for the vega meme
thinking about selling it to buy a 1070

Intel Corporation expects more effort than this, Goldstein

yeah I am pretty sure you need the software to change it from default rainbow colors

I heard people breaking the RGB using the software though

Well I know I need to use the software to change it but I mean if it will load the custom one on boot without it. So if I set it to like purple in windows and then boot to linux would it reset to the default rainbow?
>I heard people breaking the RGB using the software though
I heard that was from simultaneously using aurasync and the gskill software.

samsung c24fg73
viewsonic xg2401

I have both my chassis fan and CPU Fan plugged into my motherboard. When I turn on my computer, it does not start and the CPU Fan only turns for half a second before it stops.

What gives?

Probably turns off due to low temps. Does it turn on under load? If so it's probably just a fan curve on your motherboard.

I'm not sure how I'd turn it on under load. This is my first build.

I need a case with window on the other side to op's picture is that possible?

I think they sell the OP's case (Phanteks Evolv ATX) with glass on both sides.

Cool. I've got an annoying situation where I can only point my pc in one direction and it's not the right one.

GTX 970

Complete replacement of my old setup except for the gpu, Vega has me scared to wait on the next Nvidia series but it werks

If you're looking to see your motherboard from the other direction than that isn't the case for you. The double sided Evolv ATX case has the motherboard mounted the same way it is in the OP, but you have a window on the back of the case to see behind the motherboard tray as well.

If you're looking for a case with the motherboard mounted the other, they exist but aren't that common. Search "inverted case" or something like that in google.

How exactly do you take a pc apart? I need to move all my parts to a different case, and this seems way harder than putting it together

>tfw big hands so difficult to manipulate PC components in case no matter the size and have to ask mom for help

Anyone know of this? ebay.com/itm/Delid-Die-Guard-Delid-Relid-Delidding-Kabylake-Skylake-6-7TH-CPU-DIE-protector-/232427111403?hash=item361dbc43eb:g:GtgAAOSwp1dZevye

I alright delidded my 7700k and this looks like a way to just get rid of the ihs altogether but the die on the cpu is really thin, i'd be worried that the cooler wouldn't even touch against the die.

Okay I'm the guy from the old thread with a budget of 300$ for a GPU, RIGHT NOW, NO WAITING MEME.

I checked the prices and the RX580 4GB and the 1060 6GB cost the same.

What's the better choice? I play 1080p.

>falling for vega

I need some big time help. My Canadian friend has 600 bucks to get a new cpu mb and gpu he has to recycle his 8gb stick of ddr3 is there any set up he can put together that wont be instantly obsolete with these restrictions?

i5-4570 at 80°C under load in LAN-Party PC that's only used 6-10 times a year.

Problem or fine?

put a Morpheus II on it. The only thing bad about Vega is the reference cooler.

I saw this thing and kind of want to do it.

Is this a bad idea? I love the mid 00's apple aesthetic

ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/N2kdnQ

cooler master n200
in win 301

I bought one any way. Sucks there is literally nothing about this anywhere online. Laptops don't use an ihs and I feel like it'd save money not having an ihs plus giving people better cooling results.

Pcpartpicker.com/list/yhX4zM
Plz no hate on case, already had a nib one from a previous build i ended up not using it for

Temps are lower with the IHS on. I used a toothpick to dab a tiny amount of RTV on each corner of the IHS. Set good with the rockit cool relid tool and works great.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GzmCHN

The error is handled by the 4 port PCIe SATA controller. Am I missing anything? Anything you'd change? This server will be for nothing more than helping to encode video over the network, handling 5+ windows shares, a shared network printer, and handling scheduled auto-mated backups. I'll more than likely be running Windows 10 Pro.

Having extensively used handbrake, I've noticed that even Handbrake doesn't take full advantage of 16 threads while encoding. Will Threadripper be wasted on me then?

So, I'm looking for a motherboard to pair with my Ryzen 1600, and I'm currently stuck between the MSI B350 Tomahawk, and the Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3. Is there any particular reason to go for one over the other?
I do plan on doing some OCing, but nothing more than the stock CPU cooler can handle.

Any proof of this? Its cheap and I don't mind giving it a try myself. Plus I feel like laptops would use an ihs if it helped with cooling.

pcpartpicker.com/list/

link related is the non Threadripper version. Microcenter has the 1800X for $350.

I can't decide between the:

MSI - X370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard

Asus STRIX X370-F GAMING

Or
Gigabyte GA-AX370-GAMING 5

I need an SLI motherboard for ryzen, which is why I narrowed it down to these.

The Asus. Gigabyte boards are complete shit. MSI used to be the worst option available for AMD due to them cheaping out on quality voltage regulators. They've probably since changed this, but having several motherboards burn out on me in the am2/am3 era left a sour taste in my mouth.

Never had an Asus board disappoint.And what cards are you SLI-ing?

super nice, nicer without the faggy name badge. Reminds me of the IBM servers.

Planning to buy one 1070 now and another when mining faggots fuck off/I can get a used one.

don't bother. SLI scaling is intermittent at the best of times. Instead of hoping to get your hands on a gtx 1070 down the road, save more money, get yourself a 1080ti now. 2x GTX 1070's (even if you get them cheap around $350) you're stilling spending around 1080ti money.

How big of a difference is 1080 vs 1080ti? tis are like 1000+ in canada right now.

>tfw sitting on old gpu until prices stabilize
>tfw july turned to august
>tfw august turned to september
>tfw september is almost over

this ride is never gonna end huh

Anything i should change?
Dont hate on case, already had it

pic related. The gtx 1070 and 1080 are damn near the same performance. The 1070 simply has a slightly more chopped down core, and GDDR5 as opposed to GDDR5X on the 1080.

The TI is an 11GB GDDR5X cut down Titan XP. It's currently one of the only consumer cards in existence that can push 4k 60FPS by itself.

seasonic PSU?

Eww, damn I just don't have the money for a ti at the moment, guess I'll just ... I don't even know, I need a computer.

why the i7-7700k?
Why a 1080 (especially reference type cooler) VS a 1070?
Why that garbage tier PSU?

Much is wrong in that build. What exactly are you using the PC for? 120hz+ gaming? What resolution?

Following up on this because I still haven't found a solution. When the chassis fan is unplugged I can get the system to start, but the CPU Fan does not start. The only way I can get any response from the CPU Fan is if the Chassis fan is plugged into the motherboard.

buy a $40 GPU. GT710 or even a GT210 for $25. Use it as nothing more than a card to push a monitor. (Even the GT710 will do 1440p and stream 1080p content without fail)

Save your money, buy your 1080ti of choice. Take it from me, the TI option of a GPU ALWAYS lasts longer than the non TI variant of the gtx x80. I bought an EVGA GTX 980ti Classified at launch for $810. I still have it. It still pushes 85+ FPS at 1440p. Buy big now, you can sit on the card for that much longer.

what motherboard? what cooler? What fans are plugged into what headers on the motherboard?

Current system.
i54590
H97M iTX
8GB ram DDR3
gtx 1060 6GB

Would it be worth upgrading to Skylake and DDR4 build?

Do you think 1080ti prices will go down when mining ends, or is that just THE PRICE?

Any Canadians know if there is a way to smuggle one in from the states without paying tax.

Going to try to overclock my first cpu, can anyone link me to a good guide on it?

>buying Skylake
>when the 6-core Coffee Lake comes out two weeks from now
(lol

depends on what your use case is? What's the PC for?
they fluctuate up and down in price occasionally. In the US, 1080ti's sell for around $710 for the base models, all the way to $810 for the absolute top end factory overclocked models.

I bought core i7 6700k 4.0ghz unlocked, but luckily I kept the microcenter receipt. My friend said it's shit because it's last gen, and I should get one with more cores for gaming (I don't want AMD). Any recommendations? Budget under $350 for cpu

Also what's a good mobo to go with whatever CPU you recommend? I had bought an MSI z270, which supports upto 64GB DDR4, that should be good enough right?

ASUS PRIME 320M-K

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 stock cooler

The stock cooler is plugged into the CPU_FAN header and the fan that came with my case is plugged into CHA_FAN

Ugh, so cheap in the states.

I really need to apply to some american tech jobs.

6700k is fine if all you're doing is gaming

>I don't want AMD

Then piss off and go buy another Intel product you sheep. Ryzen is literally the answer to your question. Seems to me you don't really know why you bought Intel other than some sense of twisted brand loyalty.

I stream and need a good cpu
With streaming i drop frames so wanted a good gpu but a 1080ti is excessive at 2k 75hz, and while a 1070 is good enough id rather have more power
Also idk much about psu's but already revieved it
Its the first build ive done myself

calm down

>mad AMDrone seething he can't make off commission shekels

I have always used intel, it is the incumbent and has the most stable instruction sets. Why should I change to experimental upstart AMD and deal w/ crashes all the time? I just want a stable solid build, but I want it with above 4 cores.

I meant doing complex games w/ multiplayer, and maybe running voice chat apps in the background, plus I do web dev, so I run VMs a lot too. I need a versatile yet powerful cpu.

how does Canada import tax work? Maybe you can get a contact in the states willing to ship you a 1080ti if you pay for shipping? My Uncle used to always send car parts from the US to New Zealand because if the parts weren't brand new from the manufacturer, there was no import tax.
That's odd. Maybe there is some sort of safety in the BIOS that prevents the PC from booting unless both fans are plugged in?

Does the CPU fan not turn on at all under an circumstance?

Just wait for Coffee Lake

It comes out in October

6-core 8700k

I don't understand why people still fall for the 6700k and 7700k

Do you want to buy a freesync monitor? If not, just buy the 1060

Streaming with 7700k? I guess expect some stuttering from that

look at the Ryzen 1600. It's stock cooler will allow for a mild OC. 6c/12t fairs way better than 4c/8t of an i7 regardless of slightly higher single core IPC. I had an i7-6700k and switch up to an R7-1700X. Recording/streaming GTA5 @ 1440p was night and day difference. Gimme a sec I'll take a look at your build and make revisions. What's your top budget?
It's been proven time and time again that Intel is only good for 120hz+ gaming setups. Ryzen beats it in everything else. Power consumption, Heat generation, multi-threading. Anons like going on about "stable construction sets" and "experimental upstart AMD" are blindly loyal to a company when its blatantly clear they really know nothing.

It's not choice of brand. It's the blind loyalty I'm chasing. I'd feel the same if the roles of Intel and AMD were reversed.

The other side's glass is mostly painted black with the exception of the SSD bay area. Also the TG Evolv does not have a way to fasten the side panels to the case itself--the side panel will swing open easily being held only by magnets at the front. No holes for screws etc.

When I unplug the chassis fan, the system boots like normal, but the CPU Fan will not turn on - No response. When the chassis fan is plugged in, the system does not boot, but I will get a small response from the CPU Fan - It moves like I moved it slightly with my finger.

here you go user. The 1600 will be vastly better for streaming and overall multi-tasking. Changed the 1080 to a better model of one as well. That Assu Turbo is just a reference model. It will be loud and run hot.

Can anyone throw me a link to a good guide for cpu overclocking? Attempting it for the first time.

Repostin from last thread, want some more input.

Already have a case, PSU, and HDD. How's this build look? (advise on monitor too):

pcpartpicker.com/list/8MWc8K

and I forgot the damned link

pcpartpicker.com/list/8mqdZ8
sounds to me like the motherboard might be bad. Still have your receipt?

Not a gaymer anymore except for Dota 2 sometimes. I'm interested in high performance monitors, though, for top-tier video playback and productivity. Is there anything I should keep in mind?

Go to the overclockers.com forum. Find the thread about your specific family of CPU. Overall it's a straight forward process. Multiplier and voltage bumps until you hit thermal limit or instability.
That CPU is good as is the GPU. However those 2 together are a bad pair if you're looking to get 120+FPS. According to that 165hz dell monitor, it seems you are. This is one of the cases were an intel Processor is recommended. Either that, or step the monitor down to 60hz.

The type of panel used (VA, IPS, OLED), monitor resolution, refresh rate, color accuracy. Find a monitor you're interested in that matches your price range, and start looking up reviews.

Is 144Hz a meme or is it really that good

Thank you very much sir. I'm aware that its much simpler and safer than it used to be, but still my first time so I just don't want to fuck up and make sure I get my advice from people who know what they're talking about. Thanks again.

144hz makes racing games and FPS much smoother. According to some on Sup Forums, high refresh rate monitors make everything better. Ranging from general desktop usage, to web browsing.

I've used 60hz monitors my whole life and don't see 120/144/165hz monitors as worth the hassle.The increased GPU requirements and having to turn down game settings and shit to attain the FPS is stupid to me.

Not him, but Canada's import tax is usually whatever the Province's (think like State) Sales Tax rate + $10 dollars processing fee with additional brokerage fee apply if you get your stuff shipped by the likes of FedEX or UPS aka extra anal raping. Regarding the price of the 1080 Ti, the prices range from $890 CAD (the cheapest model from Gigabyte) to all the way to around $1200 CAD

I refuse to believe that my motherboard is defective. The thing is brand new.

Would it be possible to plug the CPU Fan directly into the PSU if I got a 4-Pin to Moblox adapter or something?

holy shit that's a lot of money for a 1080ti. Canada sucks.

>I refuse to believe that my motherboard is defective. The thing is brand new
You do realize motherboards can be defective out of the box right? It happens all the time. Some would consider too often in fact.

And yes you could potentially bypass plugging your fan into the motherboard, but you're putting a band-aid on a bullet hole here. The most I would do is see if the CPU fan works at all (4 pin to Molex adapter). If so, get a new board.

No shit, that's why I want to leave.

Is there a good LCD flatscreen [spoiler]4:3[/spoiler] monitor on the market?

1060 desu

who here wants to be my pcbg gf?