/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

fsfe.org/campaigns/android/liberate.en.html
libreboot.org/faq.html#intel
libreboot.org/faq.html#amd
stallman.org/guantanamero.ogg
youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY
raw.githubusercontent.com/keroserene/rickrollrc/master/roll.sh
youtube.com/watch?v=lzAuXuxD0Oo
freeaudiofoundation.bandcamp.com/track/linux-is-a-kernel-a-program-in-a-system
youtube.com/watch?v=_WTBkj8gFfI
youtube.com/watch?v=qmo-x8Whs1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=pPGuhDBDD-4
youtube.com/watch?v=V974MkN7v94
soundcloud.com/perturbator/sets/perturbator-i-am-the-night-1
youtube.com/watch?v=xIP41E4B-bI
youtube.com/watch?v=PHMzCpy0fXc
youtube.com/watch?v=fs7TIZTU3zU
youtube.com/watch?v=XbxZargtXug
youtube.com/watch?v=c5meFtluB9Y
youtube.com/watch?v=EiyPRqP5glY
youtube.com/watch?v=VXa9tXcMhXQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First

for

quality

discussion

Not if we are getting raided from a BSD forum

install gentoo

Anyone here did some fancy stuff with their network setup? Like installing unbound, DNSCrypt, DNSsec, etc.

I am trying a combination of those myself.

Any reason why?

Why?

what's the best virtualization program on linux?

i dont have enough autism to put the rx vega amdgpu driver into my kernel as an user suggested i do yesterday
how long does it take amd to get driver support out to debian when they release a new card?

How to improve acceleration in VM? Creo is still usable, but there are some quirks, like the drop down menus don't appear.

Should I dual boot? If so should I continue to use Windows7 or move onto Windows10?

Or should I try GPU pass through?

Specs:
i7 4700 MQ
K1100M
24GB Ram

of course it will run like shit if you dont do gpu passthrough
dual boot until you get that set up

Why why?

Speaking of VMs, I usually run with VirtualBox, but I see alot of people using qemu, is it better? If so what does it better?

If I install Arch as my first distro and something breaks, will /fglt/ make fun of me?

Just make sure to update it, read the news and it woun't break.

Secure your network against malicious attacks?

Not sure, starting from Arch deserves you be put against the ropes

I'm just thinking about skipping the whole Mint -> Ubuntu -> Debian -> ???? -> Arch thing straight to the end goal.

I've seen people using Gentoo as their first distro without fucking up. It all depends on your will to read documentation.

Arch is really easy. The hardest step is installing it (when you never heard about things like creating filesystems, partitioning, etc), but over the thumb, it's just ~10 commands to boot into a working Arch. Then you install a DE (or WM) you like and all you need to do at this point is following this guys advise:

Then Manjaro, go for Manjaro. Is based o Arch and just change the sources, you can change it for a full Arch system further ahead but don't go for the pain, don't do it man.

>straight to the end goal
GuixSD, Devuan, Gentoo

Use arch-anywhere (I guess it's now Anarchy Linux). It's a installer that installs Arch (the real one) for you.

Can someone explain to my why so many newfriends start with Arch, why?

Are they typing "beginner distro" in google and it results in Arch? Is there some kind of forum recommending Arch as an inside joke like Sup Forums does with gentoo? Is this some kind of conspiracy?

Why anons, why?

They see the Arch logo on riced desktops, think you can only rice on Arch, install Arch, rice it and post desktops and the circle snakes bite.

A quick look at the uptimes tells pretty much about actually using Arch or just posting with it.

Probably this. Even is so easy to do a Devuan netinstall and rice it out they bite for Arch.

screenfetch -D Arch

I'm not too worried about the installation, though, as said, it's jut typing some commands one after the other. It shouldn't be too bad.
Although as an Anarchist I kinda approve of the whole "Anarchy Linux", although I would prefer Anarchy GNU/Linux.

What if I don't necessarily hate systemd?

Manjaro is not the end goal, though.

What controls the spacing between the columns and the rows in a terminal? Is it the font? How can I minimize the spacing between the rows?

>CPU does not support VT-d
Well it isn't that bad in Virtual Box. I found a temporary solution by hiding the ribbon which made the menu's re-apper.

I really don't like the idea of dual booting with windows and anything from windows potentially corrupting by linux partition.

>not screenfetch -A Gentoo

>not screenfetch -A 'Source Mage GNU/Linux'

Nigga I am running Source Mage in my main computer which is more endgame than Arch but can tell you is ten times easier to install Source Mage and is less of a hassle. And I have installed Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, etc.

>CPU does not support VT-d
doesnt that mean you cant virtualize at all?

No, it means you don't have KVM, which is near native performance.

What's your experience with Slackware? Never tried it. Lack of prope package manager scares me.

>gentoo
>arch
>source mage
>slackware
is this placebo autism epeen stuff because theyre hard to install or are they actually superior under the hood

All distros have their pros and cons.

They all have their good things.
>Gentoo
USE flags; your packages with your configuration
>Arch
well, the AUR
>Source Mage
Whole thing heavenly hackable
>Slackware
Never tried it

Imagine installing from source on debian and tracking all those dependencies. But there is a package manager which makes Slackware a great choice. Doesn't come with a minimal installation so is not my cup of tea.

It all have its reasons, although Arch is now being relegated due to ppas.

Throw in squid in that combo too and you're golden

>ppas
Well, PPAs aren not the same thing as the AUR. The AUR may be just a git clone;make wrapper, but if you're carefull and check what you do, it's actually better and more secure than installing a binary compiled by literally who (PPA).

>this way is more secure if you check what you are doing than the other way if you don't

You are right in that PPAs are not exactly the AUR, I still know users seek them for the same purpose (generally), that is to have applications not available in your repository. I wonder how long will it take for AppImages to take off for this same purpose.

Install GuixSD

Are you retarded? PPAs provide binaries. Try checking binaries.

>implying arch users actually double check what they install from the AUR

appimages, snaps, all that crap is cancer
if people want .exe files bloated up with every library and whatever else, they should go back to windows

You shouldn't recommend Windows, not even as insult.

I know what you mean. There is a reason why I am moving to a source based distro.

They hijacked the init, they will come for the package manager. Lets hope they use AppImage and not Flatpak or Snap, the last two depend on you know what "init".

trying to dualboot GNU/Linux and Win10

what do

Got this Android form a friend, anyone who can recommend a guide how to get rid off all the botnet?

If I want to connect to smb shares over the network, do I need samba installed on my machine, or does the linux kernel's native cifs driver work without samba?

I'd say "throw it out of the window", but that's not the right thing; it may even botnet the guy who finds it. You must kill it with fire. Burn it. And make sure it's really dead (burn it again).

fsfe.org/campaigns/android/liberate.en.html

Installed arch as my first distro because I couldn't be fucked starting with anything easier if I was only going to eventually wind up with arch in the future, so I thought I'd cut out the middle man and jump in the deep end right away

installgentoo wiki

What distro?

UEFI might also fuck up your bootloader as well, but you can't partition a disk that is in use user

>boot from live USB of distro you chose
>use whatever partitioning tool they provide on the live USB to partition your disk
>make a new partition on the empty space you just made
>install distro on that partition

oh shit, i didn't even know this was back up

Is there any hope in sight on getting rid of processor botnet?

Doesn't FSF have a list of free hardware vendors?

Sitting on my old pre-2006 chinkpad I'm feeling comfy when this question shows up.

Well, you can't do this forever, right.

arm
based china wont let cia niggers bully them

>processor botnet
wut, is this the new meme?

>everything is a meme
dumb redditor, read this and learn something
libreboot.org/faq.html#intel
libreboot.org/faq.html#amd

Most current CPUs have an internal mini-operating system called "engine". It's some microcode running inside the processor. These engines have access to your whole computer and the network (intented for remote maintence, etc). These engines have a higher priority than your installed OS; if there is something malicious going on, you will never know it.

Can I get away with installing everything on my machine with --no-install-recommends?
It seems like every program tries to tack on useless shit I don't need.

Just unchecked the "updade CPU microcode" checkbox in Ubuntu. What the hell. Why does my CPU need network access!

smb is garbage
use nfs

I've been doing this for a while, but went back to manually adding that flag since most of the time you just miss the good things.

I'm planning on doing just that for the same reason. Care to share your experience?

>feel cute, want to cuddle
>feel creepy, want to hide
based Sup Forums

Only trouble I had was getting os-prober to pick up my windows partition (forgot to mount it before running mkconfig)

Can we have a /fglt/ mixtape playlist?
>post related traxx

Well that most likely won't save you from the botnet, but it's better than nothing.

stallman.org/guantanamero.ogg

Cant listen to music because the hardware and software used to produce mainstream music is proprietary

Tell me what's good/bad about these distros please.

>Gentoo
>Alpine
>Void
>Devuan
>Arch
>Slackware

I'll make the logo.

Does emacs have a future?

youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY

First
curl -s -L raw.githubusercontent.com/keroserene/rickrollrc/master/roll.sh | bash
now give me a moment while I delve my playlist.

youtube.com/watch?v=lzAuXuxD0Oo

I'm using GalliumOS on a Chromebook Pixel, and I've run into an issue with HiDPI window manager themes. Except for the default hidpi and default xhidpi themes, everything window manager theme has a pretty small UI.

Any tips on finding and installing some xfce4 HiDPI themes? I'm trying to find a guide on installing themes from a tar archive, and all the .debs conflict with my libgtk packages.

>Gentoo
Good: Source-based
Bad: Source-based

>Alpine
Good: If you hate GNU
Bad: If you don't hate GNU

>Void
Good: If you have a hardon for runit
Bad: Not many packages

>Devaun
Good: No systemd
Bad: Ancient like Debian

>Arch
Good: Pacman and AUR
Bad: systemd

>Slackware
Good: No systemd, well-established community
Bad: No automatic dependency management

bootin'
freeaudiofoundation.bandcamp.com/track/linux-is-a-kernel-a-program-in-a-system

>Gentoo
USE flags
>Alpine
very lightweight
>Void
can use musl and glibc, no systemd
>Arch
AUR, up2date packages
>Slackware
get off my lawn

Where are the speeches from?

thanks anons

Not sure, but I guess "Revolution OS".

youtube.com/watch?v=_WTBkj8gFfI

youtube.com/watch?v=qmo-x8Whs1Y

youtube.com/watch?v=pPGuhDBDD-4

youtube.com/watch?v=V974MkN7v94

soundcloud.com/perturbator/sets/perturbator-i-am-the-night-1

youtube.com/watch?v=xIP41E4B-bI

youtube.com/watch?v=PHMzCpy0fXc

youtube.com/watch?v=fs7TIZTU3zU

Very nice, didn't think it would turn out that good. Can we get a full 90 minutes tape?
>post moar!

I dare you, if you don't record it on tape and then don't rip it to flac and I can't hear tape noise, I'll call the Sup Forums.

KVM. You might want a clicky frontend like GNOME Boxes if you don't like writing shell script wrappers around QEMU.

Wrong. That's VT-X. VT-d is IOMMU support for GPU passthrough.

Doesn't exist. Xfeces and Gtk2 don't do HiDPI properly. At all. GNOME and KDE are really your best options for HiDPI at the moment.

youtube.com/watch?v=XbxZargtXug

For all tastest, first some Lindsay Stirling
youtube.com/watch?v=c5meFtluB9Y

youtube.com/watch?v=EiyPRqP5glY

And some Kraftwerk
youtube.com/watch?v=VXa9tXcMhXQ