Running Linux inside Android

How many here run Linux on their Android phone? I personally use GNURoot Debian
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gnuroot.debian&hl=en
It allows me to install any Linux console app. It is possible to install a desktop environment but I dont need it. One strange thing is that it runs in superuser so I dont have to use sudo when installing with apt-get. It also runs in the root folder by default which is weird. I wish there was documentation on how to use it.

Anyone here use any other Linux systems on their phone? Anyone root their Android phone and use the Linux kernel that Android runs on?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/ChrootOnAndroid
xda-developers.com/guide-installing-and-running-a-gnulinux-environment-on-any-android-device/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

100% of Android users run Linux

>Linux on their Android phone
literally every android phone use the linux kernel

>Running as root
ask me how I know that you are retarded

What about Termux? Is there something better? Termux save me from a hell lot of hurries when I needed quick and dirty stuff like IRC and network tools, it even has youtube-dl!

have you installed Linux apps on your phone then?

Yes. They're called android apps.

Hnnng. Why do I find this type of "ugly" so fucking attractive. Is there a word for it?

Looking forward to running a full blown open source distro instead of Android.

PWA wills it.

>Yes. They're called android apps.
how many programming language compilers have they ported to Android? Lets see...almost none.

Ive got clang, elixir, haskell, ruby, node.js, golang, ocaml, sbcl and a few others all running on my phone.

wiki.debian.org/ChrootOnAndroid

Says Lil' Debi is a supported project, anyone here use this can tell how good it is?

Hot mess.

I run android, so I run linux

>forced to run as root

asking for trouble

Linux deploy is great if you have the nerve to get it working.

Currently running arch in chroot and it's great, some applications actually run faster than my 6 year old laptop.

I'd just like to interject for a moment, fucking tech illiterate . What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

retarded

You seem confused, linux is a kernel that all android phones use. I believe you mean you're running GNU/linux inside of google botnet/linux.

Isn't golang native to android tho?

Can you please provide me a usecase for while I would want my phone to compile code when I can cross compile on my computer and install on my phone?

Why would you want to do anything relating to coding on a tiny ass screen like your phone?

no, Go is crossplatform and not native to anything

Its called MOBILE computing, there are some people who actually like to leave their houses sometimes so being tied to your desktop computer for some people is kind of a drag. Instead of just playing games on my phone Id like to program games on my phone

What is this

There is no use case for compiling code on a phone.

You can always do it via ssh.

Also Termux works without root if you don't want a bunch of malware.

i've created arm debian image in qemu, mounted it in android, mounted /proc/ and /dev/ in it, chrooted it, and now i use "XSDL" for x11 rendering. Nice gimmick, not very useful though.

I found this article where a guy installs XSDL on GNURoot Debian:
xda-developers.com/guide-installing-and-running-a-gnulinux-environment-on-any-android-device/
but I really dont have a use for a DE on my phone so I dont bother with it

Maybe OP needs to run a command as root? Android doesn't exactly have sudo, so you have to su to do anything as root.

Android is open source tho

Cross compiling sucks balls. The best way to build an application for a target is to either compile it on the target, or compile it on a machine that is the same platform as the target. If a machine is powerful enough to run a compiler, it should.

You can have root without getting a bunch of malware...

AOSP is shit. We need to break free of the entire platform.

Well I guess have fun rooting your phone and running gcc on it.

I think your a dumbass.

Crazy shit.

I actually use clang. Termux removed gcc, and it's not enough of an inconvenience for me to compile GCC from source.

What about custom roms?

Seconding this. Only thing I haven't been able to do with it is control a specialized USB device over USBOTG, and that's only because I'm not rooted, pretty sure.

Android variants. We deserve better

How do you deal with systemd bullshit? I want to start an nginx servet and it refuses cuz its chroot
It sucks

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation. Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag. Thanks for listening.

Termux is great. Android sucks decaying moose wang at controlling serial USB devices even WITH root, so I usually just stick to a GNU/Linux system for that.
>nullmodem cable directly from real COM port on desktop to router's console means 99.99% of the time all I need is SSH/mosh

Your moonrune trip is lame, use english you jap wanna-be.