Garbage OS

Gnome 3 is a pile of shit. Everyone shits on it for being a tablet OS so I just installed it on my surface pro tablet to see if it would work better for touchscreen interfaces. You can't even fucking swipe the activities menu to open it. you have to tap the small ass panel. Tapping the shit out of it right now and it's not even opening actually. Lemme hold it down. Nope still not working. Ok now I cant even move windows with touchscreen. They made the toolbars look like shit so they could have half decent DPI on tablets but it still looks like shit on my end, too small. And why even bother because all websites and app DPI scaling is going to be fucked anyway. Just buy an android or iPad if you want a good tablet OS. What's the point of sacrificing usability on desktop for a tablet if it just ends up being shit on both? Fuck Gnome and fuck GTK niggershit

selecting these signs in the captcha is easy as shit with my touchscreen though

Other urls found in this thread:

igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

plasma mobile

Ahaha, Gnome is not an OS, you fucking nigger monkey. It's a desktop environment and it's the worst one. Install MaXX Interactive. The way it minimizes windows would be great for a tablet.

>Install MaXX Interactive.
yeah no thanks that looks like shit. only good OS for tablets currently are iOS and android. it's just not possible to make a good OS that works on mobile & desktop the same

>that looks like shit
If you're only concerned about looks then you don't belong on this board. 5Dwm is one of the best window managers out there.

>only good OS for tablets currently are iOS and android
t. 12 year old

>it's just not possible to make a good OS that works on mobile & desktop the same
Wrong.

>t. 12 year old
t. delusional freetard

Gnome is the best desktop environment. Gnome is the future. Meanwhile other DEs like KDE have no future.

>oh no I have no argument, better call him a freetard!

What is this a bot? get the fuck out of my thread retard shill. Gnome is dead. Qt is the future. Fucking hardly anyone uses Gnome 3. Literally no one would use that shit if it weren't for extensions. And gnome 3 devs want to remove those too.

Debian uses Gnome by default. Ubuntu uses Gnome by default (soon). Fedora uses Gnome by default. RHEL and CentOS use Gnome by default. Cinnamon is a Gnome fork. Xfce depends on GTK. Everybody uses Gnome. Gnome has won.

>Debian uses Gnome by default.
Unlike Mint or Ubuntu, 99% of Debian users are smart enough to know how to change their DE or choose another iso. And the ones who don't are smart enough to install a fuckton of extensions to make Gnome 3 half usable.
>Ubuntu uses Gnome by default (soon)
And Unity is what distinguished Ubuntu from the rest of the pack. It was a very well polished and maintained DE. Opting to use Gnome 3 bastardized with extensions will prove to be a shitty decision for Ubuntu.
>RHEL and CentOS use Gnome by default.
ok? who the fuck uses these as a DESKTOP driver. it's a desktop environment so what will make or break it is if people are using it on desktop.
>Cinnamon is a Gnome fork.
damn right it's a fork. absolutely NOTHING like Gnome 3.
>Xfce depends on GTK. Everybody uses Gnome. Gnome has won.
At the end of the day people will use what works best. If Gnome tabletshit themepotato autism devs ends up being better than Qt than they will win. Otherwise people will just continue moving towards Qt like they are now. Gnome was king for a while, GTK2 was good, but they are dropping the ball hard now and there are much better alternatives.

good post i didnt read it. thanks for the bump tho.

Gnome is like Trump though. Everybody said it was shit, even Debian made the default desktop Xfce for a while, and then its won. The silent majority is with Gnome.

>The silent majority is with Gnome.
Wrong. Just like the election, most people didn't vote. Gnome won this round cause they're all shit. Unity was the best for a while, Debian would have used it if they weren't autistic, or Cinnamon if it was more mature when they made the switch.

So what you're saying is - it's a tablet DE that doesn't even work on a tablet (possibly works worse.

I'm glad Unity has already been forked.

Unlikely, the silent majority are using MATE because it continues to just werk like GNOME2 did.

I hated KDE bloat, GNOME2 was fucking baller - but GNOME3 can suck the big one.

Canonical killed Unity with their typical ambiguousness and dodgy licensing.

Reminds me of how Ubuntu almost used LaunchD except for Apple's ambiguousness and dodgy licencing.

MATE masterrace reporting in

GNOME is like Windows. It's used because it's the default, not because it's actually good.
Other DEs are almost always better for the end user, but they have issues preventing wider adoption; Plasma is buggy on some hardware, Xfce is borderline abandonware, LXQt is too new and too barebones, Cinnamon, MATE, Budgie etc. are backed by smaller communities, and standalone WMs are just autism.

I use Gnome and it isn't even the default for Ubuntu yet, it's just superior.

Fucking Windows 2000 looks comfier than this

>Gnome 3 is a pile of shit. Everyone shits on it for being a tablet OS
Wow, turns out it's actually a desktop OS. What a surprise.

kill yourselves

gnome's ok in the sense that it's miles more stable and relatively bug free compared to the competition

the defaults are pretty shitty though so you have to use tweak tool and a custom skin

Gnome is still the best DE on lunix.

>Ubuntu uses Gnome by default
Did I time travel back to 2006 when GNOME was good and everyone liked it?

If you want a decent experience you could always move back to MATE, or if you really really need the shiny touchscreen shit just go with Unity.

Cinnamon is not a fork, it is a shell. It's like a theme for GNOME 3. If all you hate is the design, then it can fix everything you dislike. If you dislike backend stuff, tough shit it's there forever and fuck you.

That's the main reason I keep picking XFCE. I've never gotten the impression the developers wanted me to beat myself to death with my own keyboard.

dumping quotes from article
>I have a lot of messages from users saying that my [REDACTED] theme makes Gnome more usable again. But it’s such a pain to develop a GTK 3 theme. It’s always broken.
>This morning, I received a message from a user that tested my theme with GTK 3.6.1 (I developed the GTK 3.6 branch of my theme on GTK 3.6.0) and I can see a lot of bug rendering in his screenshot. Is it really just because of a minor version difference (3.6.0/3.6.1)? Sometimes I wonder why I’m still using GTK.

>I’m sorry to say this but I am abandoning any GTK3 theme making from now on. Upstream is impossible to work with and GNOME 3 has become a complete mess in regard to third party theme making. As if GNOME Shell isn’t bad enough sometimes with every version being broken, GTK3 is even worse. For those of you who wish to make GTK3 in the future, good luck, you’ll need it.

kde is unusable and if I would need to use shitty Windows-like DE, then I'll just install Winblows.

Hey Gnome users, how are those tray icons doing? Looking forward to GTK4 where that functionality will be completely removed so even TopIcons won't help you?

dumping
>GNOME dev Allan Day writes:
>Facilitating the unrestricted use of extensions and themes by end users seems contrary to the central tenets of the GNOME 3 design. We’ve fought long and hard to give GNOME 3 a consistent visual appearance, to make it synonymous with a single user experience and to ensure that that experience is of a consistently high quality.
>A general purpose extensions and themes distribution system seems to threaten much of that.

>I’m particularly surprised by the inclusion of themes. It seems bizarre that we specifically designed the GNOME 3 control center not to include theme installation/selection

>William Jon McCann wrote:
>I agree with Allan. I am really concerned about this effort to encourage and sanction themes and extensions.

dumping
>In the upcoming GNOME 3 we won’t be supporting notification area icons (status icons)…
>Transmission has an option in the Desktop tab of the preferences to “Show Transmission icon in the notification area”. This should probably be removed.

>charles (developer of Transmission) writes:
>So now we can have three builds of Transmission that decide at compile time whether to use AppIndicator, GtkStatusIcon, or nothing at all, over such a stupid feature?
>Removing it altogether, as you suggest, will hurt XFCE users.
>In order for this ticket to move forward, I’d like you to tell me what change should be made to Transmission that will make it work properly, out of the box, on GNOME Shell, Unity, and XFCE.

>I guess you have to decide if you are a GNOME app, an Ubuntu app, or an XFCE app unfortunately. I’m sorry that this is the case but it wasn’t GNOME’s fault that Ubuntu has started this fork. And I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.
>It is my hope that you are a GNOME app…

> You can't even fucking swipe the activities menu to open it. you have to tap the small ass panel.
Open activities by three fingers pinching gesture.
Open applications view by swiping from left edge

dumping
>Richard Hughes wrote:
>Sorry, but the whole point of gnome-power-manager is to save power without getting in the way of what the user wants to do. It’s not going to let you set the “performance” governor any more than it lets you increase the brightness on battery.

>The Power Off option was removed from the Gnome Shell menu. Devs know what users want to do, more than users themselves:
>Owen Taylor wrote:
>The Power Off option is hidden because we don’t believe it’s necessary in that menu […]. The primary way that a user would shut down (if they, say, need to disconnect power) would be to log out and shut down through GDM.

>Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
>We decided to streamline the nautilus design for 3.0, and we finally decided there’s no use for an editable toolbar in Nautilus.
>Meanwhile, a user request: please add a way to customize the toolbar
>The report asking to reintroduce the location/path toggle button was closed as WONTFIX. >The sacrosanct Nautilus interface is more important than users’ needs:
>There are currently no plans to reintroduce the location bar by default or to provide a toggle button as the cluttered interface has been simplified for 3.0.
Gnomefags can't do this

>GTK3.4 came with Gnome3.4, and wasn’t compatible with previous GTK3 themes. This means all GTK3 applications looked really ugly not only with all the GTK2 themes which don’t support GTK3 (almost all of them), but also the few which did. With this in mind we had three options:

>Give you a desktop with poor integration and applications which look different based on the API they use (which is completely unacceptable)
>Ditch all GTK3 applications from Mint and replace them with earlier GTK2 versions, or GTK2 or QT applications (this includes Gnome apps, but also Gdebi, Transmission and a few others)
>Rant like mad, remove all themes, and waste countless hours in giving Mint-X and Mint-Z proper GTK “3.4″ support even though it’s likely to break again in 3.6…

>We went for option 3 “this time”. I hope this little example was enough to convince 3rd party developers not to use GTK3. I couldn’t find any release notes or documentation explaining the regression or how to solve the issue.. I genuinely get the feeling that GTK 3.4 is developed for Gnome 3.4, that it doesn’t really matter if it breaks things and that we’re not supposed to use it outside of Gnome.

Gnome 3 is fucking kill. Qt is the future

>If you dislike backend stuff, tough shit it's there forever and fuck you.
>if you like being able to theme your desktop and having non broken apis then fuck you
actually go die you stupid fucking retard

I have to agree. I'm a newfag on GNU/Linux and I cringed hard when I installed Fedora on VM and on my laptop.
Laptop also since its old one has issues with it, especially since gnome 3 UI is super heavy on the system and laggy.
Switched back to Ubuntu Unity masterace, everything works smoothly.
Then I heard next LTS will introduce GNOME 3 and I started crying again.

use cinnamon for now or unity till they stop supporting it. they forked gnome shell and replaced most of the unusable shit with their own. start menu is back, panel, desktop icons, good themes

> Removing notifications from GNOME

Who the fuck let these retards even program. They might as well reskin windows 95 theme... Oh wait, it even had notifications. Worse than Applefaggotry.

No it doesn't, you retarded kid. That's a continuation of the IRIX desktop. If you don't know about SGI you should fucking kill yourself.

Cinnamon is an independent shell now I thought, though it's still GTK3 based.

>'''unified''' interface for desktop, phone/tablet, yet being made for both makes the experience on each platform worse
>bloated as fuck yet somehow still has no features because the devs remove them all in the name of '''simplicity'''
Gnome is fucking trash

First of all - educate yourself and learn the difference between an OS and a DE.
Second. Who said that GNOME is made for tablets? Reddit? Sup Forums? Nobody from the dev team ever said that GNOME is supposed to work well for tablets. It does work well on a laptop with touchscreen, though. Also, without the use of a keyboard - GNOME loses it's efficiency. Even the fucking welcome screen says that you'd be better using keyboard shortcuts.
Learn how the things work because you can fucking allow yourself to critisize them.

We know gnome 3 is a turd, but for some reason the big Linux faggots like red hat and Debian like the smell of the turd so we kinda just go along with it because there's no real alternative. KDE is an even bigger shit.

>MATE
Best Desktop

>Fedora
Found your problem.
GNOME3 is less resource heave than Unity.
I don't like GNOME that much but it's either it or amateurish trash (KDE) or something obsolete (MATE, Xfce). Whatever anybody says - GNOME is the only modern DE which looks like it was designed with some kind of consistency and guidelines.

They removed features specifically because they wouldn't work well on touchscreens.

Budgie is going to move to Qt because GTK is fucking terrible
Qt is the future

Yes, it does.

touchscreens aren't equal tablets. GNOME workflow if godlike on a machine like picrelated.

Then why do features need to be removed because they don't work on touchscreens? Seems like pandering to devices with only a touchscreen as the input device.

>5px thumbnails in the filepicker in a 10" screen.
Dropped.

GNOME was a mistake

>no arch release

I've yet to see anyone use gnome 3 on a touchscreen.

if Librem 5 campaign will be successful - will see more functionality geared towards touch interface. They have already got rid of tray icons - so we are getting there.

>will see more functionality geared towards touch interface
We'll just see more functionality geared towards mouse and keyboard interfaces removed.