Is i3 the comfiest/best DE?

Is i3 the comfiest/best DE?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Jazqa/kwin-quarter-tiling
github.com/Jazqa/kwin-quarter-tiling.git
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No. It is a wm. And xmonad is way better.

Well shit

>DE

i3 is a wm. i3 is vim. It doesn't have that much going for it but it's get the job done and it's learning curve is not so unbeatable.
GNOME is a de. GNOME is Emacs. It can do a lot of stuff out of the box and even comes with a kickass chess game out of the box. If there is something it cannot do - there are hundreds of extensions for it.

>i3
>DE
Take a good look, folks. These are the retarded kid larpers you share a board with.

>tiling WMs
I'm a bit annoyed. I consider the interface problematic. The amount of keypresses needed to reorganize windows in i3 is just too much.
Whenever I ask someone they tell me to use workspaces more. Which is the stupidest answer in the world. I do use workspaces. 6 of them. But they're completely orthogonal to tiling WMs. If I'm asking a person about tiling wm use why would they tell me to avoid them?
Most of what I see when people present how they have their i3 setup is them numbering how many workspaces then have. And they really only use the tiling features in one of them at most. Which I'm ok with.
But I have to question the reasons to use a tiling wm.
I started out of interest. I like it in concept and I'm OK with it now. But it doesn't change how annoying it can be. Most of my use is having one window on the left and one on the right, and multiple workspaces. Really this use is perfectly swallowed by any floating window manager except I'd have to trim the window decorations.

How do you use tiling WMs? Just to make myself clear I'm not saying they're useless, even the little convenience I get is good. But the effort that has gone into these considering the return I see is pretty wasteful.

>DE
I like it, one day i'll try awesome or dwm or xmonad

I have i3 on my machine that I plan/run pathfinder games with. On the first workspace I'll have my text editor and the adventure path PDF open, on the second workspace I'll have 2 bestiaries, on the 3rd I'll have 1 or 2 more (depending on what the adventure calls for) and then either my browser with resources open on the 4th (or 3rd if less than 2 bestiaries).
if i'm doing development I'll have documentation on the second workspace, and my main development windows on the first

Sway/Wayland is superior to i3wm/Xorg

I don't see the purpose of tiling wm on a single monitor setup. But switching windows around is pretty quick, it's much quicker than using mouse. I see workspace as an analogy to monitor, and use tiling to group windows by context. Other people use workspaces as groups and use tiling to organize windows within them. There's no right way, the first way can be criticised as confusing or cluttered, the other as wasteful and not leveraging tiling as well.
Also i got my perfect xmonad setup in few hours, it's not that much effort considering i save up on endlessly resizing, aligning and moving the windows and my windows just pop where i want them.

Fuck tilling wms

Openbox is better

openbox is okay if you live in the past
GNOME is the future

Not nearly as comfy as herbstluftwm

Yes it's quicker than using the mouse of course. But with every floating window manager I've tried (since many years back now) you have shortcuts for "take up half-screen to the left/right", maximize and minimize.
So what I actually gain using a tiling window manager is the ability to move horizontally between windows in order. In floating wm you keep the focus stack in your head. Which I didn't struggle with. And I even find it so useful I added it to i3 for 1 step so I can trivially toggle between two windows as you might want to.
What I find is very useful when contrasting tiling and floating is when I have 3 windows on the screen and want one covering the bottom quarter and the other covering 3/8ths. That's a nightmare in any floating system I've had. And I appreciate it when I have it. But it feels so lackluster for some reason. It's the best option for me still. I should probably keep a list of complaints so I can go fix it. It doesn't make sense for me to not enjoy this.

>herb slut wm
>gaps
what sets that one above i3?

No qtile is

To have gaps or not to is up to your preference. And if you want the gaps, you don't need to compile some crazy third-party fork.

First of all, i3 is a wm, and a shit one at that.
Secondly, LXDE is the best DE.

sure, is all that separates the 2 though? the ability to have gaps included or not?

>Is i3 the comfiest/best DE?
bait

i3 is too much of a hassle if your use-case is different from what the devs intended. Xmonad lets you build everything yourself, including the layouts, you can force certain windows to certain layouts, for example i have a "tabbed" area in the bottom left part of left monitor (odd workspaces) and when i move a window to that part, it goes into tabbed layout. You can program your own layout if the plethora of layouts that come built-in doesn't suit you and happily use it alongside other layouts, you can customize absolutely everything in xmonad. So if you have some specific needs that aren't covered by i3 or any other wm, just do yourself a favour and switch to xmonad.

>no battery
phahahahahahaha... wtf? are linux fags really that retarded?

but i3 is not a DE, its a distro

i7 and i5 are better

XDDDD but the iphone 8 and iphone x are coming out, iphone 7 and 5 are so old!

>no i9
Git gud applecuck

If it has a panel, dmenu, etc. then it's a DE.

Honestly, after trying and trying with shit like i3, I'm convinced that twms are just a meme. Everyone uses floating window managers for a reason. They just simply work better for everything unless you're only using terminals for everything. Plasma has quarter window snapping which is good enough for quickly laying out multiple windows.

Ratpoison masterrace

xmonad makes my boipussy wet

>i3
>DE
user, you fucked up

it's the comfiest WM

no. the mouse pointer and floating windows were invented by guys who grew up using terminals and hated the constraints. it is literally an innovation in the home computer. you autistic freaks just use it in the hopes some girl sees you doing it and thinks you're a master h4xxor. which is hilarious because women simply aren't turned on by techies and they never will be.

fuck off poettering. linux will never recover from gnome and red hat's disgusting influence

At lower resolutions i3 manages to get a little more on the screen at once.

>font discordancy
puke

awesomewm is objectively the best window manager. Shame about the wiki, though.

>Q: Why is herbstluftwm called herbstluftwm?
>I liked the name of the e-mail client wanderlust. Unfortunately I am a happy mutt user, so I needed an other application with a similar name.

>so I needed an other

>an other

Can I get that wallpaper?

have you ever heard about consistency?
Why do you have two different types of fonts? one for the terminal and one for the i3bar?

tiling meme is harmful and uncomfy

Fluxbox is.

i like bspwm better because it has floating and gaps too

found it , hxxps://picalls.com/fog-on-lake-eerie/

not op but
terminal needs monospace fonts to look consistent
it's probably the only place in op's system with that font and the rest is on the bar font

And monospace fonts are uncomfy looking by design

apt install xmonad
...the following programs will be installed
.......xmonad haskell
....93.7 terrabytes of disk space will be used.
....proceed with install(Y/n)

i3 has floating too, gaps are easy to patch-in, but there is also i3-gaps if you don't want to bother
>install xmonad
>configure
>remove the chain, keeping binary
Wew it werkeded and is few MB

What makes it better than workspaces and just regular tiling in a DE for me is stacked/tabbed windows. I often have an editor open in the left half along with some stacked terminals underneath. Right side I'll have stacked pdf reader/web browser. That way I can have different combinations of editor+pdf, or editor+browser open in the same workspace.

I also just like from an organizational perspective having anything I might have open on the screen at any given moment. With regular DEs I tend to accumulate windows, and have to periodically check and close a bunch of shit I forgot about.

>he doesn't know how to use sysfs
sorry for your loss

i3 is not a distro, it's an OS.

i3 is not an OS, it's a editor.

If it doesn't have automount it's not a DE then.

i3 is not an editor, it's a javascript framework

No that would be Xfce.

>Tiling WM
>261 MiB

Kek not going to install this bloat.

sudo pacman -S xmonad
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (15) ghc-8.2.1-2 ghc-libs-8.2.1-2 haskell-data-default-0.7.1.1-9 haskell-data-default-class-0.1.2.0-5
haskell-data-default-instances-containers-0.0.1-17 haskell-data-default-instances-dlist-0.0.1-22
haskell-data-default-instances-old-locale-0.0.1-17 haskell-dlist-0.8.0.3-3 haskell-extensible-exceptions-0.1.1.4-17
haskell-mtl-2.2.1-9 haskell-old-locale-1.0.0.7-11 haskell-setlocale-1.0.0.5-3 haskell-utf8-string-1.0.1.1-5
haskell-x11-1.8-4 xmonad-0.13-8

Total Download Size: 33.22 MiB
Total Installed Size: 260.97 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n

Doesn't have preset layouts for when I don't want to manually tile.

Again Once you have the config done and the binary compiled, you don't need the chain. Git good, kids. It's not hard.

I actually just use i3 because i really like to tab things, so i use the workspaces more like "tabs" and if i have multiple instances of a programm open, i also tab these on another workspace.
And i3 does this pretty well and the function to tab any windows with mod+w is great for me.

But you configure it with haskell which is a beautiful way to do it.

>DE

>don't need to compile some crazy third-party fork.
being this fucking clueless. Check who is the guy working on both and what's get pushed to each.
>crazy third-party fork
I keep reading that and makes me wonder what the fuck is wrong with you kids these days.

Fluxbox > Openbox > Xfce4 > KDE

Tiling window managers are a meme, I can tile to quarters with shortcuts and use tmux if I need smaller tiles.

Why Fluxbox? What features does it offer? What do you use for your taskbar, search, etc.? I've never used it before.

post i3 webms

Using i3 and i3-lock with compton on Antergos. Finding it nice to work with. I use the odd Gnome program here and there.

The only downside with i3 is with learning it and some programs (looking at you Steam) need floating mode enabled by default.

How do I get github.com/Jazqa/kwin-quarter-tiling this to work? I've tried both manually installing it and installing using the kde store and nothing happens.

In fact, not a single kwin script I try to install actually works. I don't know what the issue could even be. I don't get any errors, these things just say they install but I can't see them anywhere in the kwin scripts page and none of the keyboard shortcuts exist for them.

How do I fix this? It's been bugging me for weeks now.

Easier to configure than Openbox and it comes with a very basic task bar. Quick and easy.

Truth be told, I have no idea. It works for most people. ls ~/.local/share/kwin/scripts/quarter-tiling what does it print?

You could try installing it globally to /usr/share/kwin/scripts. Something like the following:

sudo git clone github.com/Jazqa/kwin-quarter-tiling.git /usr/share/kwin/scripts/quarter-tiling
sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/kservices5
sudo ln -sf /usr/share/kwin/scripts/quarter-tiling/metadata.desktop /usr/share/kservices5/kwin-script-quarter-tiling.desktop

If that doesn't work. Tell me which distribution you're on and I'll get it running in a VM and try for myself.

borderline unusable
if only we had a good aqua clone

>their favourite DE/WM doesn't have a qt birb icon

There's a reason Budgie is best DE. :^)

Gnome 3 is my ide of choice

What's a good alternative of i3 on OSX?

I can't think of any english native speaker who'd come up with that name

>problematic
AHAHAHAHA

Dragon dildo

Too confusing and you can't be 100% mouse independent with it

It means "autumn air" in German.

what do you mean? i use it without a mouse without issues

is the developer german?
I can't imagine anyone but an american trying to be cool and cultured naming it herbstluft.

Nothing comfy about i3, and I say this as an i3 users.

butthurt debian luser detected

A lot of reasons I like tiling wm don't even have to do with tiling wm specifically. Usually a twm will boot faster than many DE, in my case unity. Not using a DE also means there are not a bunch of preset hotkeys that you need to workaround or find a way to remove meaning you can much more easily add bindings for most common tasks. Since I don't like having a dock using something like xmonad is nice since it does not come with one.

Of tiling window manager specific features that I truly like I can only think of the ability to quickly change the layout between multiple windows and single window.