Admit it. You’d buy one if you could afford it

Welcome to /lgbt/ Libreboot is the Greatest BIOS Thread:
Admit it. You’d buy one if you could afford it Edition
Beginners feel free to ask questions!

Previous thread (if the ebay guy sees this, please refer back there for the questions you received)

More info about the project:
libreboot.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libreboot
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=libreboot

Helpful resources:
Flashing the X60 internally (easy)
youtube.com/watch?v=1K5jo9gk9LQ

Flashing the X200/T400 externally (advanced)
youtube.com/watch?v=CyxgYnOcsTw

So Sup Forums why haven't you installed the only BIOS that actually respects your freedom, privacy, and human rights by using no proprietary firmware and disables the Intel (NSA backdoor) ME?

>inb4 the dev is a tranny and drama queen
That's a red herring and has no bearing on the project
The dispute with GNU was resolved several months ago
youtube.com/watch?v=FQCwYAhZnQg

>inb4 no compatible system
You can literally get a ThinkPad X200 for $50 on ebay

>inb4 no beaglebone/pi for external flashing
You can get an X60 for internal flashing or use a Libreboot flashing service (about $50) on ebay for X200/T400

>inb4 that hardware is ancient
An X200 will pretty much do anything besides "muh gaymin" plus there are some descent mobo's that support Libreboot for an Intel or AMD desktop system (see below)

Compatible Laptops/Boards:
Server boards: Asus KFSN4-DRE and Asus KGPE-D16
Desktop boards: Asus KCMA-D8, Intel D510MO, Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L, and Apple iMac 5,2
Laptops: Asus Chromebook C201, Lenovo ThinkPad X60/X60s, Lenovo ThinkPad X60 Tablet, Lenovo ThinkPad T60 (some exceptions), Lenovo ThinkPad X200, Lenovo ThinkPad R400, Lenovo ThinkPad T400, Lenovo ThinkPad T500, Apple MacBook 1.1, and Apple MacBook 2.1

Friendly F/OSS shout out to Talos II, the upcoming fully libre hardware platform:
raptorcs.com/TALOSII/prerelease.php

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#list-of-supported-thinkpad-x60-tablets
nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Libreboot-Installation-X200/
jxself.org/linux-libre/
libreboot.org/
computerhope.com/jargon/l/libreboot.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=FQCwYAhZnQg
divx.com/en/devices/profiles/video
ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-i5-2-6-i5-3320M-8GB-128GB-SSD-DVD-WIN-10-PRO-Laptop-/222312348880?hash=item33c2d93cd0:g:b4wAAOSwax5Ytj8~#viTabs_0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can I use libreboot on a X60s with an 1400x1050 screen from a X60t modded to fit in the X60s? Also, does the same apply for the 1440x900 screen from the X200s inside an X200? ARIGATÊAU

Where can I find that wallpaper?

I'm still holding out hope that the thinkpad anniversary edition will be good.

I am too scared to libreboot and I don't have a soic clip.

I believe that they would both work. The 1400x1050 X60t screens are both compatible:

libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#list-of-supported-thinkpad-x60-tablets

And the X200 and X200s both use the same ROM so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Then get the ebay fellow to libreboot it for you.

I done it without a SOIC clip, just got strands of copper from an old cat5e patch cable, and wrapped them around the relevant legs of the chip, then twisted it so it stayed on.

After I had flashed the chip, I just cut the strands off the legs, which was easier than un-twisting them.

I can try to dig up a picture if what I'm saying isn't clear

Here ya go

Picture would be helpful.

Took me awhile to find it. It's a T400

Then I just taped the strands down, so they wouldn't short, connected them to beaglebone black, and flashed

Whoops, wrong image, here's the other one

holy crap just buy the clip

Didn't wanna wait a week for shipping

But my current laptop costs more than a thickbook.

Thank you.

One question more. Does my Wi-Fi card work if I libreboot or do I have to buy one with open source drivers?

I have that exact grub background on my computer. Comfy feels whenever I boot.

You'll need to buy an atheros wifi chip since they use free firmware and are compatible with linux-libre kernel. I'd recommend an AR9380, absolute best card ever.

kek, great title

Why are you ASSUMING user?

Good news is your computer will acept more cards after librebooting, proprietary firmwares don't accept much.

>putting anything tranny has touched to your computer
No thanks

Don't be such an SJW yourself

post em if u got em, whole family has LB x200s

Also C201 Chromebook. Can't figure out how to erase the internal drive though. Has a weird secure partition setup that gparted can't fix.

Here's a more indepth guide for the X200
nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Libreboot-Installation-X200/

Stop posting your stupid generals without their title so I can filter it.

My bad I forgot to put it in

>filtering on Sup Forums
you're so funny

i have something just as good

>just as good
need external fan

i am not using the pad as a fan. As you can see it it's not even plugged in. i use it so my computer doesn't overheat being on the bed

I don't understand how this is just as good

Is the t400 decent? I am thinking about buying one with 8gb and 1 TB HDD. Should I go with SSD instead? Basically I am wondering if the laptop will be able to watch 1080p vids without buffering or becoming slow as fuck. Also trisquel or parabola?

no, i fell for the x201
>muh better processor
meme

The T400 is very powerful. It has a solid C2D, especially if you can get one with the P9xxx series. Go with an SSD, an HDD will be a huge bottleneck on the system. An SSD makes them very fast and responsive. It'll handle 1080p just fine. One benefit of libreboot is it'll increase the vRAM significantly. Also, a dock for the T400 will give you a displayport output. And also upgrade the wifi chip to an AR9380.

Also, Trisquel is the best choice. You can also use something like Ubuntu MATE or Xubuntu and replace the kernel with the linux-libre kernel.

I shall go with the ssd then. Thanks.

Really? didnt know that. Probably going to go with xubuntu because it doesnt take up too much ram. Thanks.

Yeah, that's what I do, you can get the kernel here, very easy to set up
jxself.org/linux-libre/

Holy shit what the fuck

I am dumb negro, how do I change wallpaper on Linux selection screen?

Here's my X200 aaaaand...

My W500!

Can I have the second wallpaper?

Sure!

Thanks!

Awesome as always, awoo-kun.

Well at least you don't have that white furry toy in these pics...

Friendly GNU+Bump

>Libreboot is the Greatest BIOS
It's not a BIOS though

Hey, I just picked up an old(2006 I think) macbook pro. I found it in a dumpster, actually. Anyway, I know that the macbook 1,1 and 2,1 or something support libreboot, the ones with the core 2 duo chips. The Pro I found has a core 2 duo at 2.16 GHz, but it isn't officially on the list of supported devices. Do you guys think it's still worth a try putting libreboot on it?

>It's not a BIOS though

But it is...
>Libreboot is a free (as in freedom) BIOS or UEFI replacement, initialising the hardware and booting your operating system. It is also available preinstalled from these suppliers.

libreboot.org/

it's a BIOS replacement, not an actual BIOS

No, it's a BIOS

computerhope.com/jargon/l/libreboot.htm

Does it have i945 chipset? If not I don't think it will work.

Actually, I purchased an X200 this afternoon.
4GV & 128 GB SSD for 99 euro.
Maybe I'll fiddle a bit with it, as it's my 10th laptop

librebooted x220 when

If it doesn't have a coreboot port, it isn't compatible.

What the fuck isn't a clip like $1 from china

if i burn some distro on dvd like a caveman, install it, then libreboot it, will it be easier to boot later distros from usb? stock macbook hates booting linux from usb

ps its a macbook 2,1 ive got here

How does it not boot from USB

Just hold the option key and select your USB lmao

I posted in a thread last night which was deleted before I could check it. Hopefully the people who had questions are still around.

I'm the main seller of libreboot installs on ebay. I've done 30-40 thus far. I'll take questions, if anyone is interested.

>Will you support X200T in the future? I noticed your listing doesn't support those model.
Probably not, since that model uses a WSON chip which you cannot buy a clip for. I would have to individually solder all of the connections.

>Oh wow, we got a libreboot celebrity in this thread now! That's a really cool installation service. How did you come up with the idea to start that/What motivated you? Do you use a libreboot device as your main machine? What's your opinion on the Raptor Talos II hardware? I noticed Leah put a page up on libreboot.org about it. And do you think it's likely we will see the X220 port by the end of the year?
Thanks. Originally I just wanted to liberate my own X200, but when I saw the only other service out there was minifree, I saw an opportunity. I dislike the fact that my sales are taking funding from them, but I also want to help as many people liberate their devices as possible, which means the service must be available at a reasonable price point. The only computer I use is an X200 that I personally flashed libreboot to. The new TALOS line looks interesting, but my current computer does everything I need it to, so I doubt I'll buy one. I highly doubt the port will be done by the end of this year, but that is just my opinion.

>Have you librebooted a machine usin an odroid? If not, how do you imagine to do this?
No, all of my installations are done with a BBB. It should be fairly easy to do from an Odroid though.

1/2

2/2
>Has your mailman ever asked why you get so many computers delivered?
No, I have never spoken to him.

>I only read about the Intel ME/AMT thing for the first time yesterday, pretty fucked up. If my machine is self built with a non-vPro CPU, do I need to worry about that shit? I get that there's a other reasons to use libreboot too but I'd rather not be stuck with old hardware. It's an i5 2500k btw
Every intel CPU made since 2006 has the intel management engine.

If I missed your question it wasn't on purpose.

Yes, threads will auto-archive here after a few hours if there isn't a new post. How long have you been browsing Sup Forums, and what's your distro of choice?

Libreboot is developed by litteral trans gender confused faggots. I won't use something as critical as a boot manager I want someone that's stable creating it.

I've only been visiting Sup Forums for 5 years or so, but I rarely use it anymore due to the current userbase.

I use debian, but I intend to switch to openBSD in the near future.

>due to the current userbase
hehe, at least summer break is over

So I noticed people have copied your idea and offer similar service. What do you think sets you apart from the competition?

Nothing, really, other than my record of quality service. Our services are about the same price, but I'm established and the others are not.

>>>inb4 the dev is a tranny and drama queen
>That's a red herring and has no bearing on the project
>The dispute with GNU was resolved several months ago
>youtube.com/watch?v=FQCwYAhZnQg
this is the nerdiest stupid shit ever

This is more of a general question. But I've noticed in my personal life that most people think I'm very strange for only using an old Thinkpad with libreboot + GNU/Linux. People tend to regard me as a "tin foil hat" fellow, even though I would not characterize my efforts as that. Have you encountered similar reactions in your personal life?

And what's your opinion on smartphones? I got rid of mine because it can never truly be a liberated device.

T400 with Libreboot reporting in. Best laptop I've ever owned. Has excellent build quality and I can strip the thing down to the main board in like 10 minutes. Everything is socketed, including the CPU. I love it. Posting from it now.

Everything is on the Libreboot website.

Allow me to clarify a little.

You only need to buy a different wireless card if you want to use an FSF approved distro which doesn't include non-free drivers. The drivers are stored in the kernel, not the BIOS ROM chip. So you can use a non-free card and still install Ubuntu and have it just work, though it sort of defeats the point of Libreboot, which is to have a system that runs only free and libre open source software.

Nice but are you running Coreboot and have you used ME Cleaner? If not I suggest going over the ThinkPad general because this thread is about free and open source BIOS replacements, not so much business laptops.

I can't really tell the difference between an HDD and SSD in this thing. I've just been using an HDD. But I do use lightweight window managers and I don't multitask between more than 3-4 things at once so my system is just as fast either way for what I use it for.

>it'll increase the vRAM significantly
Really? I didn't know that.
>a dock for the T400 will give you a displayport output
Uhhh mine only has VGA. I'm not sure if there are different docks for it but mine doesn't have DisplayPort. Nonetheless the dock is awesome and it gives you a whole bunch of extra USB ports.

Yes it is. It's a replacement for the stock BIOS but it's still a BIOS.

Yes. I have that exact model with Libreboot installed and you can flash it internally. Keep in mind that OS X will no longer boot on it afterwards though. You can try alternative boot managers likes rEFIt and whatnot that may help with booting GNU/Linux on it as it is now.

>An X200 will pretty much do anything besides "muh gaymin"
My X220 drops frames playing high-bitrate 1080p video (mpv, profile=opengl-hq). This is the bare minimum, and Sandybridge fails at it. Can't even imagine how the piece of shit on a X200 fares.

But I hope to flash Coreboot once all issues are resolved (USB 3.0, for instance). Is the difference between Coreboot and Libreboot really so severe?

Not him but see pic related. Keep using things that respect your freedom, even if retards tell you that it isn't trendy.

>People tend to regard me as a "tin foil hat" fellow, even though I would not characterize my efforts as that. Have you encountered similar reactions in your personal life?

Of course. There is so much misinformation and propaganda that people are unable to care about or even understand issues like software freedom. Being passionate about things like that instantly brands you as crazy to most people. I decided that my freedom was worth more than fitting in. I own a cell phone, not a smart phone, and it always stays in my house. It is impractical to not have a phone in my current line of work, but I hope to change that soon.

>Really? I didn't know that.
Yeap, it's in the release notes. It expands it to a very nice 256MB. I think the stock BIOS only allocates 64 or 128MB.

>Uhhh mine only has VGA. I'm not sure if there are different docks for it but mine doesn't have DisplayPort. Nonetheless the dock is awesome and it gives you a whole bunch of extra USB ports.
I checked on ebay and the T400 docks have VGA and DVI. So there is some type of hi-res output available.

So I went here and downloaded the 1080p video
divx.com/en/devices/profiles/video
I didn't have any dropped frames in VLC and everything was super smooth.

>Is the difference between Coreboot and Libreboot really so severe?
Libreboot will remove the Intel ME when it's ready for the X220. Other than that I'm not sure what the differences are, since Libreboot is a distribution of Coreboot and not a fork.

Would like this use this but I make use of UEFI. How's the support for it?

This is me... fucking with my first Thinkpad (X200 w/ SSD)
First Arch attempt too. Pretty cool.

Still working on getting sound and wifi working :( Having a hard time.

Will support for X230 ever come?

>in VLC
VLC defaults? This is an irrelevant metric since VLC has low default presets (fail safe, basically). I don't want to play video at minimum rendering quality, so it's important for me that I can software or hardware decode at above-minimum presets. And from the link you gave, the "Micayala Gatto" video drops frames with these settings in mpv:
$ mpv --show-profile=opengl-hq
Profile opengl-hq:
scale=spline36
cscale=spline36
dscale=mitchell
dither-depth=auto
correct-downscaling=yes
sigmoid-upscaling=yes
deband=yes
Default mpv settings don't drop frames, but once again, that is a fail safe like with VLC for compatibility reasons across devices and results in poor rendering quality.

You simply cannot use anything older than Sandybridge for anything but programming and basic web tasks; even compiling will end up being a pain in some cases (I used to use a Core-2-duo, pre-ME chip). An alternate option then is to setup an eGPU and use hardware decoding solely - I have yet to look into that and learn if it's viable on older Thinkpads due to no PCIe lanes or otherwise compatible ports.

Sound and wifi should work out of the box on the X200. At least on the Debian and Ubuntu based distros it does.

>VLC defaults? This is an irrelevant metric since VLC has low default presets (fail safe, basically). I don't want to play video at minimum rendering quality, so it's important for me that I can software or hardware decode at above-minimum presets.
idk man, if I play a 1080p video and everything is smooth and crisp I'm not going to obsess over whether or not the software has adjusted the rendering settings for maximum performance. That's borderline autism.

>You simply cannot use anything older than Sandybridge for anything but programming and basic web tasks
I disagree, I can do anything on my X200, including FPS gaming with no lag.

>An alternate option then is to setup an eGPU and use hardware decoding solely - I have yet to look into that and learn if it's viable on older Thinkpads due to no PCIe lanes or otherwise compatible ports.
They have PCIe lanes. I know people who have used eGPU on older Thinkpads with no issue. I personally don't have a need for an eGPU since it does everything I need effectively, but I have a GTX750 laying around so I might hook that into it for fun.

Can you direct me to a worthy ebay purchase so I can buy one?

Also, I am stumped as to what is going to be the most upgradeable option.

For an X200? And what do you mean by upgradeable?

Well, I don't know if I want an x200 or one of the other T400 models. The T430 models look more modern to me but I have not looked deeply enough to know. I know I want USB 3.0 though...

I guess what I meant was the model with the most modern features.

Here is what I am assuming is a good model I might be interested in:

ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-i5-2-6-i5-3320M-8GB-128GB-SSD-DVD-WIN-10-PRO-Laptop-/222312348880?hash=item33c2d93cd0:g:b4wAAOSwax5Ytj8~#viTabs_0

I don't have a PI or equivalent to flash it and I haven't priced out the cost of someone else doing it for me either but that is as far as I have gotten.

The T430 is a solid machine, I bought one for my gf for school, but keep in mind it's not libreboot compatible. You need to get an X200 or T400 for that. The X200 and T400 are similar in specs since they are from the same generation, the main difference is the screen size. You can put an SSD and 8GB of RAM in either and they'll feel like a new computer.

Ok, thanks.

I was confused about the T400. I could not tell if the libreboot site was referring to the model or all of the T4XX models.

>It expands it to a very nice 256MB
That's odd. I have another one with the stock BIOS that lets me use all 256MB of vRAM under GNU/Linux.

>Penguin riding on gnu
Backwards.

>why do it yourself quickly instead of buying and shipping a single purpose connector you'll use once
I want new Sup Forums to leave

Tell me one good reason, why i shoud purchase the "hello from 90th" fossil mammoth shit.

Which has the better screen? The x200 or the T400?

how are the laptops from minifree?

What is the best libreboot compatible model?

yes i would