Custom kernels

Has anyone tried liquorix or zen kernel? Do they really give a good boost in perfomance or installing them is just a waste of time?

Other urls found in this thread:

liquorix.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

link to LIQUORIX KERNEL
liquorix.net/

God, I miss the old Lunduke. He was such a qt

He is still okay, though

Let me get this straight. What you're proposing to me is to use a prebuilt Linux kernel by some nobody on the internet who simply cobbled together a few patches he found on the internet and rebranded it? It took me until half of the page before he even explicitly stated that this was Kernel Linux and I was confident that I understood the bullshit he was talking about.

Zen-kernel has been here for at least a few years now. Liquorix is kinda the same but with one click install for Debian distros (as far as I understand).

And that proves what exactly?

That it's not some hot new thing and actually has some dedicated maintainers. Anyway, I don't recommend anything. I came for an advice from somebody who used it.

Mint has maintainers. Does that make them competent? And if you're looking for feedback on something you don't know, arguing with them over ethos isn't exactly conducive to that.

name who you shill for so that I may oppose you.

Skepticism != shilling

>liquorix
How to pronounce this shit? Why can't they call it gnu/modafinil/linux?

because calling it something with an obvious pronunciation would doom it

licorice, presumably

ya but thats freedom hating lunduke

he looks gay now. and what the fuck is with his face. he doesn't look fat but his face just looks like it has an inordinate amount of fat on it in the weirdest places. and he needs to stop that creepy fucking smile all the time.

> it took half the page before I realized it was Linux
What did you think it was you dumb shit?

Why would you just assume that it was Linux?

>The only kernel that exists in the entire world is Linux
Ah, yes, pardon me. It's all so clear, now! Thank you, user, for teaching me the err of my ways.

Estrogen in water.
Do you assume Lunduke's current gender too?

>Estrogen in water.
more like too much mcdonalds and he realized hes gay

To be fair, Lunduke, although harder on proprietary stuff (and I respect that), is still pretty ambiguous when it comes to stuff like video games and RMS-approved terminology

So I guess that the *BSD projects just aren't relevant, now? Let me just ssh into my Triblix server and--oh, wait.

What exactly is Liquorix supposed to do, anyways? Does it conserve energy? Or does it improve performance at the expense of energy? The documentation honestly doesn't tell me anything about why I should even use it. This whole thread, and I still have no idea what liquorix is except a patched version of Linux.

>RMS-approved terminology
Who the fuck can follow him anyway?

Well, what I really meant is that it's kind of hard to really pinpoint someone's views on the subject when the terms they use are, in themselves pretty ambiguous. Like, just in the last Lunduke video, the w3c tried to convince him not to call their new recommendation as "embracing DRM", but, as Lunduke pointed out, they have no problem when Netflix calls ECE DRM. They just hate the tone. When someone says open-source, how can you tell if they could technically mean proprietary software whose source is simply open. You kind of just have to trust them. I've seen people trick other people into thinking that a piece of software is free by calling it open source, even though its proprietary. I think there was a scene in Borat (or one of his films, I don't know) where the protagonist goes up to a store clerk or something and gives the clerk change. He tells the clerk, "Don't worry, you don't have to count it", and the clerk is flattered but insists on counting the change any way. He's astonished to realize that our protagonist actually gave him less change, and then he tells the clerk, "I told you not to count it!" The point is, ambiguous terms like that force us to make assumptions. In doing so, they can mislead us. In misleading us, we can be abused by more malicious parties' semantic run arounds. This is why it's important to be unambiguous. And this is also why we should be wary of people who revel in terms like open source.

Mint is actually pretty okay. It's a lot better than something like Fedora which ships some broken essential packages like tumbler for Xfce.
I started arguing because found a reason for your scepticism to be not based on anything concrete
The legend is that a vanilla kernel is jack of all trades and a master of none and a custom kernel like zen is geard towards a desktop use only - therefore it can sacriface energy effeciency and other stuff for perfomance. That being said - it looks like nobody knows anything for sure.

>I started arguing because found a reason for your scepticism to be not based on anything concrete
That's okay, user. You're right. I was being too harsh. I am sincerely confused about Liqorix, though. And the benchmarks don't make me any less confused. Perusing the archives, I see allusions to Liqorix in terms of BOTH desktop performance and power conservation. Apperently Crunchbang shipped with Liqorix? It's kind of ridiculous. And the official site is even less helpful.

Also,
>Mint is actually pretty okay. It's a lot better than something like Fedora
Just because something's better than the other doesn't mean it's good. The whole point of Fedora is to be a testing ground for RHEL.

>videogames
with older games that for sure dont touch your internet stack, who really cares (even rms said he feels bad for these people, but they are only hurting themselves)

>RMS-approved terminology
I agree with this, buuuuttt linux thursday is going to pull more normies in than

>"It's Thursday and you know what that means, its GNU/Linux day, or as I have recently come to call it GNU + Linux day here on the Lunduke Hour"

although arguably normies are the ones who dont already know this, I pretty new to dropping propitary software, although I had unoffically been doing it longer just cause I found free software to be more convient at first because gratis, but after a while I found its seems to be better too, learned about stallman here, started watching his speeches, found about about lunduke from ssearching stallman stuff, and since have learned most about free software from those two

Yeah, I agree with you on video games. I just mean the more contemporary ones, really. At what point do video games become public domain, anyway? But I'm aware that most of the games Lunduke plays are free as in free speech, at least.

As for your second argument, how is that different than taqiyya? Or the parable of the burning house? It seems like indoctrination and, frankly, kind of sleazy. A good pedagogue, in my opinion, should be transparent, regardless of convenience. The merit of free software will persist regardless, if it's good enough.

>But I'm aware that most of the games Lunduke plays are free as in free speech, at least.
I'm not. He stated in his videos that he uses Steam which is botnet by itself.

why can't I compile my own kernel for it

for what?

Why doncha just LFS?

Hmm, common sense maybe?
Stoopid inferno babbies.

Hey, guys, let's talk about Minix, for the Android operating system that runs Linux!

I want to ______ Lunduke.

how about now?

lee kooh oh reeks (soft r)

>jewish symbols

Did you really just notice that? Also, fuck you for bumping a that's clearly dead.