Will its full potential ever be realized?

Will its full potential ever be realized?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster
m.youtube.com/watch?v=t7cskvP2ynA
youtu.be/-AoHGJ1g9aM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it was with the last of us

>trusting japanese and gamers with high tech

Hardly with 512MB RAM in PS3 unless we're talking about other devices with this CPU.

It did what it was designed to do.To create a whole generation of engines that run like shit on regular CPUs.
This kinda backfired on PS4, but it did mostly worked.

Oh come on, you PC gamers will just buy a new i7 and then it won't matter.

Guess who invented the walkman, bitch? The glorious japs. As well as many other devices known for their durability and awesomness.

It already did way back in the day. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster

I would prefer the games to actually use the power of the CPU correctly, rather than just having to plow thru unoptimized shit that can't into AI because the cell can't into AI.

>jap tech
>soniggers

>the cell can't into AI.
Nigger, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. The AI code is not any different from other code, at the base level it's another list of assembly instructions. What you would like also doesn't matter, you don't matter, the business matters.

That Japan is retired or already dead. Now they buy iphone and chinkshit.

Sure fucking was. That game managed to murder 2 OG PS3s of mine.

Ended up "fixing" one with a heat gun and running the fan at 60% in order to finish the game. Sounded like a fucking 747.

Outside of PS3 games? No. Nobody is using it for compute or whatever anymore.

Funny thing is the PS3 will probably get emulated properly long before the 360.

A research group used quite a few first gens to create a supercomputer a while back. It only lasted for a short time as price per ghz rapidly fell.

It's a Larrabee before, well, Larrabee.
It's shit.

Americans invented iPod, which is way superior.

I only know a toshiba notebook with it. It was DOA because the price and used x64 by default.

>tfw you can't run your Godly AI on a PS3 array hidden in a train carriage
>tfw your favorite show is over

TV will never be the same

m.youtube.com/watch?v=t7cskvP2ynA

At least it ended well, instead of becoming an horrid husk of itself.

Toshiba also put it in TVs

>Funny thing is the PS3 will probably get emulated properly long before the 360.
Probably because there's more demand, since there are actually games on PS3 you can't get on other platforms.

> PS3
> games
pick one

The SPEs were tuned for floating point and vector instructions, AI is just integer logic.

I still use mine, although now-a-days it's an over glorified HTPC.

im playing persona 5 on mine right now

CELL was so fucking bad.
It's like Larrabee but even worse since SPEs could only had 256KB of local memory and relied on DMA transfers to access the system memory.

Certain instructions take longer than others, depending on the CPU architecture, and cell is an absolute unmitigated disaster at conditional branching, which is a thing you do a lot with AI.

>Larrabee
That project whch was "let's glue a few pentium 1 cores together to make a GPU"?

>tfw devs never unlocked CELLs full potential.
>mfw we will never see the 1080p 120fps games Sony promised us for the PS3 just because lazy devs.

>PS3
>HTPC
>PS3
>PC

Pretty much what these things are.

Ye. Modified P54 cores doing FP numbercrunching. Shitty idea since paying CPU (x86 in this case) tax to do GPU job is pointless. The OG chip (Aubrey Isle) was fucking HUEG, yet only ~33% of it was actually doing FP crunching.

GPU computing made it totally irrelevant, especially in the super computer world.

On consoles its the same deal as well, given all of em support compute.

>Funny thing is the PS3 will probably get emulated properly long before the 360.
probably

Tell me your secrets

RPCS3

sony paid royalties to the German inventor of the portable stereo player.

power 8

yea, rpcs3
heard about it some time ago, and then it could only run some simple homebrew and tests
but i ran into it again recently, and it's progressed incredibly fast, it can already run a good number of commercial games to a playable state

Is it free as in freedom? Lately I have thought a lot about Intel ME and AMD PSP. Could we use old PS3s with gnu/linux on them as a cheap freedom machine? The Talos II is expensive, Lemote Yeelong is rare and somewhat expensive, you have to be selective with even old ThinkPads to get one you can libreboot.

Would love to do this just for a device that could run stan + netflix + blu ray playback. Sadly the PS3 died.

Modular Smartphone

>Originally Sony intended to not include a GPU and instead use the CELL for everything

Man that would have been a laugh.

This is pretty exciting. I always presumed the PS3 would basically never be emulated due to the complex architecture of it.

I wonder if it'll end up like the PS2 where is has an emulator but everything is still pretty janky even after a decade of development.

>Full potential
It had no potential.

Well, where do you get the roms from? Almost all sites look like generic malware shit

i vaguely remember reading somewhere a guy who contribute writing for dolphin (or the rpcs3 programmer himself? i cant remember exactly) and other emu said that ps3 is basically a single core risc cpu, which is easy to emulate, but paired with 6 SPE which he compares to be akin of cuda cores/ stream processor of nvidia/amd gpus, but with much more processing power per cores.
According to him, the hard part of writing emu for ps3 is to figure out how the SPE and RSX runs together to execute a command, because they will be so parallelized and if they can figure out how the hypervisor works, timing etc, the rest will be easy. This might be why ps3 emu appear earlier than x360

holy shit are you lost, child?

the floating point performance of cell's SPE is massive, even with 2 disabled SPE, its flops is thrice than the nvidia rsx gpu the ps3 had. Sadly Sony never released a proper SDK and low level API for it to be easy to program. They also never released complete detailed technical documentation of the Cell BE, because trade secrets shit or something.in the end the only way for ps3 to be fully utilized in performance are topping the folding@home charts with its simple and repetitive command.

x360's xenon cpu is essentially a cell without the SPE.
The difference is that the ps3's security is a fucking joke and they can look at everything the os does thus making high level emulation easier.
I don't know much about the 360 but I would assume that Microsoft is better at it. But then again, everyone is better at security when pitted against Sony.

PS3 also uses what was basically a 7800GTX compared to fully custom GPU in x360 (which was also the first one with unified shaders).

Well that and the two extra cores
>SMT
Didn't know that, did the Cell have it too?

Yes, two-way SMT.
IBM can make up to 8 thread-per-core SMT with their POWER chips.

x360 smt is disabled iirc

I know, I can't wait to get one

youtu.be/-AoHGJ1g9aM PS4 is closer to being a PC than PS3... And it's not.

The x360 cpu is a 3c/6t powerPC cpu, the cell is a single core power pc with a bunch of weak single task specialized cores. Incidentally, the wiiu also utilizes a 3c/6t powerpc cpu.

The PS2 emulation is actually pretty good since v1.4, just have to do some tweaks on some games with overclocking the emotion engine, and maybe stealing cycles for the VU. It is just a huge hack job, but it works surprisingly well.

>PS4 is closer to being a PC than PS3... And it's not.
PS4 is more traditional in architecture so that comparison could be relevant.
PS3 with the stock firmware using the "apps" on it you can watch BDs, stream youtube, twitch, Plex, Netflix, Amazon, and a bunch of other shit. Pretty much all that's needed in a HTPC. Point being it makes a decent HTPC when you don't want to spend money on building one and have the console just sitting around.

Are you sure Espresso supports SMT?

PC just means personal computer, not necessarily IBM PC compatible. HTPC just means a computer used as the backbone of a home theater. If the PS3 is the computer being used, then it's an HTPC.

I was just being pedantic.

I was under the impression it was, particularly from the Cemu dev. But looking at the PPC thread tracker on BOTW. It appears as though it is not. Could be the game isn't utilizing them though.IIRC one of the devs had told me that not all games utilize all of the cores / threads. I'll try something else real quick.

That's pretty neat if it is, a G3-based CPU with SMT

It already was. The US Air Force had a supercomputing cluster full of a bunch of PS3s running Linux. Off-the-shelf had proved cheaper than IBM's solution.

I don't know what their computational workload was. Never asked. I think it might've been lent to the NSA at some point for early work on MD5 collisions, but they usually use their own stuff (IBM had a chip fab reserved for them which didn't get a lot of work, but if you ever see anything with that profile you know you're looking at a chip which has led an interesting life).

While they didn't apply updates, they were sufficiently annoyed at Sony for withdrawing support for new hardware they might have needed to purchase to keep it running that they offered a bounty for reverse-engineers to crack the protection that prevented it. That bounty was paid out in 2010. Still cheaper than IBM's solution.

However by that time, GPUs had already increased significantly in power, and the whole thing was mothballed very shortly afterwards, to be replaced by an nVidia Tesla cluster.

Only other game I have that even runs right now is splatoon, and I'm seeing even less of the same. I'd say based on the way the affinity is displayed it's likely that it doesn't have SMT. Either that, or the SMT threads aren't being differenciated from the physical cores. But I could've sworn one of the devs confirmed that it had it.

Have a pic unrelated but semi relevant to the board's interests

Sony also used them as PSN servers. shame they sucked horribly.

huh?

my slim survived like 100 hours+ of that game

multiplayer was frun

OG ps3's where dogshit apart from Backwards compat

>OG ps3's where dogshit apart from Backwards combat

Yeah and I said they were OG PS3s in my post. So why are you saying "huh?" like it's a surprise they died?

OG models were both the best and worst.

I kind of wish Sony would let Ken Kutaragi loose on the engineering department one more time just to see what kind of a fucked up clusterfuck would he come up with.

from your ps3 discs, of course