/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Previous thread:
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended old models:
X200, W500

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768x1366, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900x1600, easy to obtain, ideal size, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable after Coreboot flash
T520 - 15", 1080p, Quadcore-CPUs
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM possible, USB 3.0

Last good models:
X230 - 12", USB 3.0, IPS option avaiable, classic keyboard installable
T440p - 14", last ThinkPad to have replacable CPUs, 1080p IPS displays avaiable
----
Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard), great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

ThinkPad BIOS splash screen collection:
biosimage.booru.org/index.php

someone make new thread pl0x

this one reached bump limit

>I use a thinkpad

which thinkpad

doesnt matter bitch boi

Which parts can I safely clean with rubbing alcohol?
>lid
>screen
>keyboard
>palmrest

yes

Headpats for Thinkpads?

cringe

This is an anime website.
Waifu or GTFO!

It is worth upgrading the cpu+gpu heatsink? The current heatsink in my system is rated to gpus of tdp 45w,and an upgrade could get me upto 55w. (Currently on k1100m graphics)

Is the T420 screen that bad? i like my T400 screen but i wanna upgrade for better battery life and better IGPU.

Should I completely avoid thinkpads with TN panels, are they really that bad? The used thinkpads in my area have really good specs but all are TN panel. Otherwise, I'll need to import which is more expensive.

ikr, it's not even a real businessman's ThinkPad. It's clearly some E or L series due to the rounded edges and subpar build quality.

I bet it doesn't even have a rollcage.

would an x270 + eGPU be a good gaming setup?
need a new(futureproof) laptop, but also like playing the occasional graphics intense game
or would i be better off getting a t470 of t470s?

>cringe
It's alright to like anime, user.
Let it go.

Only T420 and T430 have horrible TN monitors which can be replaced.
All others are good.

>Monitors
Displays*

>GermanDBZHD

This pic is from reddit.
That means you went on reddit.
WHY WERE YOU ON PLEBBIT?!?!
GET OUT OF HERE!

>tfw ThinkPilled

>tfw you run your finger around the soft rim trackpoint

Can I install the old keyboard on a T440p?

How do YOU know that it was from reddit?

Is it possible to mod the T420 to be able to accommodate a 3:2 screen?

Nice meme.

Bought an X200 here recently. This thing is pretty dank, but the screen is shite. Hope this thing can replace my T420s if I find a screen mod for it.

no

Forgot Pic

Only in Sup Forums weeaboos.

>original

yes upgrade the cpu to i7 quad core while you are at it for maximum comfy

anyone had experience running an egpu off a thinkpad expresscard slot?

Is there any reason to do it if you own a desktop?

I've accepted the early chiclet keyboards because I can't handle those old screens anymore. The mechanism isn't that bad, it's just the layout that I don't like.

The screens on most of the old-style keyboard models is just heinous.

Why is Apple the only company that doesn't cheap out on screens? They've always been better.

Want the answer to this as well, cause why the fuck not?

I know this is a meme, but this is how I seriously view normies.

I can't move to newer machines, they just feel lacking. I was hoping the new ThinkPad Retro would fit my needs, but it looks like they're just doing a PR stunt.

>gross misuse of best donut vampire
septuple nigger.

T420 or X240 for schooling purposes?

>a-anime girls are sacred!
loser

Depends on if you can deal with the 12" display. Also, the X240 sucked ass so I hope that's a typo.

Literally follow the OP my dude.

Repost since last thread was pretty much dead by the time I posted.

I'm looking to get a Thinkpad Yoga to replace my tired X220T and what I'm trying to figure out is, is the performance/power consumption difference between the i5 4200u and i5 5200u make the latter worth the price difference or availability?
Is the 5200U worth nearly $80 over the 4200U?

Also, is it possible to just swap out the buttonless trackpad with the later trackpad WITH trackpoint buttons and have it function just the same?

Sup Forumsuys, I made it to the club. My X220 came in today. Currently running 6GB of RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Mint 18.2 with Cinnamon. First TP and this thing is damn near perfect. There is ONE mark on the cover, this thing is damn near brand new feeling. Also came with a 9-cell but it's operating at 81% capacity. Paid $200 for everything

Sorry yeah idk what I'm doing I just want a thinkpad for medical school in the spring but money is tight and someone suggested X240

Everyone is accepted here.

If you have a T440p or even a -20 or -30 series then you don't have to. They havent increased the performance of mobile processors much since Haswell-M. They just reduced power consumption.

>Yoga
i want nu-thinkpad users to leave.

Which is more of a meme?
>backlit keyboard
or
>anti-microbial keyboard

Holy fuck.
After owning a thinkpad for over 3 years I just discovered that if you hold the center (top) mouse button and use the trackpoint you can do some epic scrolling.
This is simply amazing.

How did you scroll before learning that?

You just found this out now? I've never used a clitmouse or a thinkpad and that's all I've been doing. Better late than never I suppose

The stuff in the "modern models" category are your best bet if you acually want a ThinkPad brand ThinkPad. If you just want a robust laptop, I'd also suggest comparing them to Dell and HP business laptops of the same era and get the best price-performance that fits your minimum requirements.

Anyone Hackintosh able to tell me if the Dock actually works? I want to throw my t420 into the Dock and use the two displayports. Ran fine with using the single one while closed but then....something happened and MacOS would disable the laptop screen when the OS booted. The screen is fine and I'm using Antergos for the moment but MacOS is so nice I'd like to go back.

Either two finger scrolling or just using the scrollbar.

congrats user you have been ThinkPilled

>after 3 years

And I want something like the x220T/x230T with a better processor, doesn't idle at 60c+, not-shit display, and digitized display that isn't 1cm off at all times, but we can't all get what we want, now can we.

And the hinge on the X series tablets is janky feeling as hell, even on the older ones.

Anti-microbial by far. Backlighting for the keyboard is useful for night-time typing (e.g. you need to do work but dont want to keep your roommate in uni up with your CFL-bulb desklamp.

use the ThinkLight™ FAGGOT

No and maybe respectively.

already on i7.

I do on my T410, but on my uni laptop (P40 Yoga) I don't have that option.

My T410 only supports two active displays regardless of OS. Perhaps it's the same on T420.

>P40 Yoga
kill yourself, nu-thinkpad user.

>someone suggested X240
I don't see the issue, aside from the necessary touchpad swap it's a great laptop for portability.

>Required laptop for uni
You just don't fucking get it, do you? Allow me to spell it out for you:
>I had to get a newer laptop for uni with a good multi-touch display
I own a T410 and an X220, stupid nigger.

Forgot to mention my W701. WUXGA is top comfy.

>tfw W701ds with 940xm to keep me nice and toasty on those cold winter nights
C O M F Y O V E R L O A D

Backlit keyboard hands down.

It's a fucking stupid "feature" that becomes entirely useless if you can achieve the simple feat of touch typing which every fa/g/et should have.

post pics pls

Sticker came

It does with the Series 3 but you need to replace a kext to make the audio ports work, just a quick copy/paste.

your thinkpad is in a very nice condition user it must be very happy.

Awesome, I'll probably snag one of them then. Going from a multimonitor setup back to a single monitor like a pajeet was terrible.

Just realized I forgot to add in
>tfw want a W701ds
I don't have one yet and envy with all my heart. He probably didn't even do a CPU swap.

Also you mention two displayports, i recall my dock only having one so no idea about yours.

Alright, 4200u it is.
I guess it's either google or experimentation time. I used the flat trackpoint buttons and I think my thumb developed a tumor.

Is the touchscreen a must?

You faggots keep praising the abundance of ports on the X220/X230 yet practicality all of these I/Os are outdated as fuck.
No one in current year uses
>vga
>ethernet
>expresscard
>minidisplayport
>usb 2.0
So that leaves only two, TWO actual usable ports, the usb 3.0 ports.
This is worse than the modern day macbook pros which have at least FOUR thunderbold 3.0 usb c ports.
Anyone who still says they use these old outdated ports are x-gen cucks. Fuck you. This decade and the next will be the years of the millenials.
REEEEEEEEEEEEE

>baiting this hard
D O N G L E S A N D A D A P T E R S

VGA and expresscard yeah, the Mini DP is decent though. Ethernet is also essential if you want to do any diagnostics on your network.

>Ethernet
>Outdated
Expresscard lets you put not outdated stuff.

>T410

I might buy one for $140, is this good? Worth it? Please help

Sounds a bit expensive, where are you from?

Gods no, not for $140. Pay $100 tops.

Not so much the touchscreen, more the wacom digitized display + pen.
Hobbyist art/ /ic/ fun haver + student + CAD and such, the digitized display helps a lot, even when compared to a standalone Wacom tablet.

That's what I meant. Good luck with your ThinkPad Yoga endeavors I guess. If it's complete dogshit post it here (it probably isn't, but it's far from an actual Thinkpad)

USA.
I found it online.

I'm not sure where the hell I should buy one. Where do you guys get them? I'm just going to use it for web development, and maybe a little everyday browsing.

Ebay. They're sub-$100 for a good one.

X230 or X230T and why?

Alright, I'll check it out. Thanks for the help :^)

The tablet is a novelty if you don't need it. Standard X230 hinges are better.
No problem.

Yea, I figured, but still, a hell of a lot more serviceable and a much better keyboard than the Surface pro 3.
Will post about it once it gets here.
Asides from the outdated x220t, it doesn't seem like there's many alternatives in the 2-in-1 category that isn't old as dirt or expensive.

X230 for better hinges and sturdy laptop
X230T for tablet and at least 2 point touch screen

If you don't need a touchscreen/digitized pen, stay away from the X2x0T laptops. Hinge cuts into the battery, so they're only 6 cells, hinge is kinda janky and has plenty of wobble, if it rotates in a bag or something, good luck with your display scratches, cooling, thickness and weight make it very uncomfortable to hold like a tablet, 1366x768 display's kinda bad to have close enough to draw on, etc.
Decent laptop, bad tablet.

Also the x230T's typically more expensive even with all these faults.
not worth if you don't need the pen. If you want a tablet experience, you're better off with a x230 + cheap android tablet for the price of the x230T

4700QM or 4800QM?