Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JbkQ36zXKJk
youtube.com/watch?v=K8dSKNB8vSo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

roland d50

casio px160

interested too.

I'll soon need to move from my baby grand :(

Are there keyboard stands sturdy enough to compare to a 1000lb piano?

Any Kawai depending on your budget. Yamahas are bretty good too.
>casio
poorfaggotry tier
>roland
tonedeafness tier

I'm temporarily moving from a yamaha baby grand. Can I find a somewhat comparable yamaha/kawai keyboard for $750-1000?

If you want the best possible action, go for Kawai VPC1 - it's a midi controller, so you're going to have to connect it to something like laptop with Pianoteq to actually play. Used ones go for slightly over $1k. ES8 has a slightly less advanced movement, but is a full featured no-hassle piano. ES110 is recently released and possibly the best cheap piano you can get out there, although the keyboard is of course not up to par with previously mentioned. For Yamaha look and YDP163 and maybe P115. The former has excellent mechanics and the latter is a budget standard. Casio is hit and miss, but you could try some Privias. Stay away from Roland. All in all, just go out there and try them yourself. Everyone has their own preferences.
>somewhat comparable
Depends what's your threshold of "comparable" is. Personally, I'd say no. Digital pianos start to rival proper ones at $3-4k+ and even then they're not really the same thing.

Seaboard rise grand no contest

P105 master race

casio rapman

what do you guys recommend for a fag who wants to start playing keyboard?

yamaha cs80

Those things are tits.

Funny, I just saw the VPC1 recommended for that reason in a review of the mp11.

I'll def check it out

I use a keyboard that is older than you kids. Yamaha DGX-500. It has a fucking floppy drive.

>I use dated garbage
Woah, cool.

Take a couple of lessons first then reconsider.

i had some music lessons back in the day, but i remember literally nothing. Where should i begin?

By finding a piano teacher nearby and making an appointment. Are you mentally challenged or something?

would it be harder to learn online? through books and the likes?

I started playing 2 weeks ago. I heard a song I liked and went to the piano to figure out how to play it. I used some guides on YouTube to give me strategies for finding the key of the song and thus the appropriate chords. Worked at it hour after hour and got it in a week.

No books and no lessons required. Did you need to pay somebody to teach you how to type on a keyboard? Fuck no, and it's the same shit.

Posting the objective best keyboard

Thanks for the response user, i will actually look into buying a cheap keyboard for beginners. i think at this point it shouldn't matter where i begin as long as i have the will to learn.

Music is a lifelong thing, bro. It's okay to have instruments lying around and not play them. I said I started playing 2 weeks ago, but I've had that keyboard for FIFTEEN YEARS. So yeah, if you don't have a keyboard, don't even worry about whether you'll be playing it in a year. Music is a lifelong adventure.

Piano is a really good starter instrument because it makes it makes music theory easier to pick up.

I recommend a full sized keyboard that you can hook up to headphones and your computer. One that provides onboard recording/playback is super helpful too. Having a bunch of different instrument sounds would be nice too.

A teacher can help in pointing out if you make any mistakes in the way you play, like using wrong finger transitions on long scales/sequences. But, if you start with beginner sheets and follow the finger notations, you can avoid that by yourself anyway, I suppose.

But with youtube and such having a ridiculous amount of tutorials online, you don't really need that stuff. As long as you can read sheet music, but they usually teach that in school.

You can probably learn if you just practice a lot. What I remember from my own lessons, is to practice each hand separately until you can do them effortlessly, then try them together. And play them slow at first, easier to learn that way.

Just remember to practice often, and to not shoot above what you can play. Not everyone can move their fingers fast enough to play Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement for example, even after lots of practice.

w2c?

I don't plan to be a master on piano. But i want to learn to play an instrument and you know, practice from time to time, thats why i was asking here casually... Some day i might even compose something to myself!

A keyboard is the perfect instrument for that.

Definitely don't pick guitar, because you need to play it every day, because if you take a break, you lose your calluses and will have to spend a month rebuilding them before you can do anything on it.

What's the best entry level one? Preferably one with a SD card slot or something to save my deliciously horrible music.

Korg M1

A real piano.

i have a real piano faggot

I have a hankering for the Yamaha DGX 660. Anything over that price range is out of my budget though.

I am about to buy a arturia keylab 88. Still looking for reasons not to, but im pulling the trigger within the month.

It's a nice board for the money. Have fun, user.

Thanks, you dont know what this affirmation means to me. I hate spending a lot of money even if it was worth it, there's always some degree of regret.

Do you want to play a piano or a synthesizer? If a piano, get something that has 88 keys and full-weighted keys, or hammer action if you have enough money. If you want to play a synthesizer, you can get a cheaper keyboard with 49 or 61 velocity sensitive keys.

Half of you faggots don't know the difference between a keyboard, a synthesizer and a controller

midi controllers? I want to learn to play.

Complete newbie here and planning to get the p-45, is it a good entry point?

The best of the three...

I have it. It’s decent. It doesn’t hold a candle to more expensive digital pianos in terms of how the keys feel. The sounds are very basic, but I’m using it as a MIDI controller to play Kontakt sample libraries. It works nicely as a MIDI controller. If you want to learn to play the piano, it’s a good choice.

Thanks for the input

I've bought the sy77 years ago for peanuts in non working condition, fixed everything and changed the old screen with a color lcd.
It can load the dx7 sounds with some conversion, I don't know though if it's considered strictly superior to dx7 musically speaking. I've never had my hands on one.

Seems fun to play, but most of what you can do with this you can do with aftertouch and the bend wheel.

>Casio Privias

I actually own a casio privia 780. The sound is ok, but now spectacular. Their piano sounds are good, but not fantastic. And you cant add sounds or tweak things beyond sumple effects.

The keyboard action is good, with differently weighted keys depending on the pitch. However, the felt lining they use for dampening the plastic action sound breaks down after 8 months. And pressing keys starts to sound like crinkling cellophane sheets.

That being said the Privia model i have only cost 500 dollars and has a dust lid and looks elegant.

The on board editor is a pain to use, and the little screen interface requires a lot of button pushing to dig into menus.

Also, any settings you have go away when you shutdown.

Pic is the Privia 780 which I own. I'm thinking of getting the Nord Stage 2, but its several thousand dollars.

i bought a 61-key
i'm a keylet
fuck

Hey what do guise think about the Casio WK-7200, I've been checking it out online through videos.

Ah I meant the WK 7600, but I'm also looking at the CTK 7200

i like heavy keys and I've stopped playing my Yamaha P85 or whatever after I got an upright piano (and the keys were tuned to be heavier than my relative's baby grand, and I love it).

Sound aside, is it ever possible to reach the same feel as an acoustic piano with a digital piano/keyboard? Even if it's bulky as fuck, as long as it's something I can actually carry and transport on a car because the acoustic piano is not coming with me when I eventually move out

The action on my Yamaha MOXF8 is pretty good

My first digital piano was some Casio Privia that I had in college circa 2008.
A couple years ago I picked up a Kawai CA65.
The Casio feels like a plastic toy but the Kawai is pretty comparable to the real upright piano that I learned on at my parent's house.
...I also played on Yamaha Clavinovas when my piano teacher had group lessons at the music store; I was never a fan of those.

>tfw own expensive CA67
>can't help but feel the sound is slightly off
Still great to study on at least, which is why I got it. Maybe it just needs more tinkering with the settings, but I haven't bothered much.

Why has no one mentioned the 808 wtf

>can't help but feel the sound is slightly off
When did you buy it?

Eyy, why do you still have the Ivory Touch sticker and pedal bags on?
I love my CA65 but am a little disappointed in how fast the keys rebound.
>tfw you can't practice Alborada del Gracioso
;_;

Maybe half a year or so ago. It's running on the latest firmware, if that's what you're hinting at.

>why do you still have the Ivory Touch sticker and pedal bags on?
I don't know, see no reason to take them off desu. That picture was from when I just got them though, cleaned up the wires at least by now.
How do you like the sound of the CA65? And which voices do you use?

>If you want the best possible action, go for Kawai VPC1 - it's a midi controller, so you're going to have to connect it to something like laptop with Pianoteq to actually play.
not him but I'm very interested in this as well. I've never looked into midi controllers before, but from what I understand it only outputs data (the dynamics and the note) into a computer where I can choose what sound library to use with that data? So by far it's going to be much more flexible to use compared to a digital piano that already has a fixed sound library and subpar speakers.

If I'm understanding this correctly, then my wallet is going to be much lighter this coming Black Friday. My priority is still the "best possible action" though, that's not just an overstatement right?

No, I'm just wondering what's the average time for a digital piano to show signs of sound problems.

Why not a good midi controller, although your digital piano is probably better if you want to keep it, and pianoteq instead?

youtube.com/watch?v=JbkQ36zXKJk

I use the Concert Grand voice 99.9999% of the time. The Studio Grand seems like it would be nice for pop/anime music as it's a little bit brighter. All of the other piano voices sound like muffled trash.
I don't think the sound is that bad although I do my best not to rely on the sustain pedal to hold notes.

>I use the Concert Grand voice 99.9999% of the time
I think that would correspond to the EX CG voice on the CA67/97, which I use as well.
>All of the other piano voices sound like muffled trash
Pretty much what I was thinking. The EX sounds fine though I find that somehow the bass notes are very pronounced, as in, it's very noticable when one disappears, leaves some sort of a hole.

How do I actually learn piano? It seems extremely difficult on your own,

yeah, so do this

>the bass notes are very pronounced, as in, it's very noticable when one disappears, leaves some sort of a hole.
I have never noticed this; do you get the same feeling when listening through headphones? It's my understanding that the only difference between the 67 and the 65 is that the 67 has a more advanced speaker system -- that would be a shame if that was the reason for the difference.

google. I learned by myself too from scratch.

but to be honest with you I didn't go straight to sheet music. I plugged my digital piano in and started with Synthesia (i.e. youtube.com/watch?v=K8dSKNB8vSo ) as a crutch. It is bascially the equivalent of guitar tabs and it was great for me to start with, BUT you have to be careful not to be dependent on it and to actually move on from it because sheet music is much more compact and standard. Then also learn scales/chords, ultimately learning to improvise on the go (i'm still shit at that aspect so i can't tell you much, i'm stuck on rote learning with sheet music and can only play by ear if it's a melody).

Just checked and on speakers it's much less pronounced actually, must be my headphones.

I took piano lessons back when I was a kid, but after moving around a lot I never got back into practice. Assuming I'm so rusty I may as well be a beginner, what's the best keyboard that's portable enough to take with me on another potential move, isn't expensive but also isn't a cheap toy, and plays well enough for starting out or getting back into practice?

what's the best chinkshit keyboard?

Then stop being a faggot shitter and play it.

I guess it’s possible to learn on your own, but it will most likely be slower and you will ”learn” some things wrong. A teacher is invaluable, especially in the beginning. Without a teacher you might learn a wrong technique, and it can be very difficult to correct it in the future.

I suggest you take piano lessons for a year or two to make sure you learn the basics. Once you have a solid base, you can start teaching yourself. I would stay away from Synthesia. Reading sheet music is a necessary skill to play the piano, and there’s really no reason to postpone it.

>ES110 is recently released and possibly the best cheap piano you can get out there
I came here to post this.

>cheap
It's like 800 bucks, damn. Anything even cheaper for a poorfag, but still okay?

short of getting an acoustic piano for free from someone ("free" as in pay for piano movers to get rid of it from their house)? Not really, unless you want something with less than 88 keys or no dynamics.

Are you just starting out or are you at an intermediate level already? Maybe rent a decent keyboard for now if you're just starting out? Rates are around $50 to $100 a month for something as adequate as a Yamaha P115 depending on stores around you

I have a piano that it's so shitty that the sound doesn't come out right so I accidentally keep pressing the keys stronger than I am supposed to
Which is the best budget electronic piano?

Get an 88 keys midi controller with velocity and buy/pirate Kontakt player and decent sampled piano library

>want to start playing piano
>live in a small place
>my next place will probably be even smaller

What should I look for if I want something that I can easily put on a closet when I don't use ? I would like a 88 keys that sounds like a piano and not some synth.

Hammond B3

What can you tell me about digital pianos? After extensive research I'm leaning heavily towards Roland f140r, but my main concern is that it's already 2 years old. I wonder if Roland will release a followup next year (f130r existed before f140r).

The plus sides (from what I have gathered) are:
>good key mechanism (not as good as Kawai es series, but they have problems with keys getting stuck)
>lots of sounds to fiddle with (I do orchestral music and would like to quickly try different sounds without loading up my DAW and VST:s)
>good piano engine (altough this is subjective, but I preferred it over Yamaha and Kawai in videos)
>nice extra touches for the price, such as synthetic ivory keytops and "continuous detection" pedals
>minimalistic look

Have I missed an obvious candidate? It sucks that I have no music stores nearby.

stage pianos with separate stands like Roland fp-30, Kawai 110es and Yamaha p115

Why is Roland bad?

I own an Alesis q88, it's fucking nice and cheap.

poker ii

I'd be all over the ES110 if it wasn't so cheap looking.

It's not a proper keyboard, it plays and feel differently.

Roland is good for synths, but when it comes to pianos and organs, it's not the best.
Also, the keys on their synths are ugly af.

Help me Sup Forums how do I stop playing weeb songs?

cut off your fingers

Is Korg worth a shot?

I got the Kawai es100 a few years ago. One of the only pianos that actually have a range of other high quality piano voices with great polyphony at the price range.

I was looking at youtube videos of the Kawai ES 8 and bunch of people are complaining in the comments that the keys are too bouncy to play anything fast.

A synthesizer is a keyboard that generates sound with a tone generator and has a lot of effects to handle that sound, a controller is just a keyboard without any sounds that controls a device that generates sound.

Being an ignorant beginner fuck with too much money, I got a Nektar Panorama P6 recently. Gonna use it with Reaper and FL Studio. Anyone uses XLN Audio Addictive Keys (studio grand)?

Depends on your use case.

Objectively best keyboard for the price range (CL26)

What should I get if I just want a keyboard lying around on my desk so I can dick around and try and mimic things I hear in whatever I'm listening to. I kind of want full size keys.

Tried it at a store and it feels like shit.
I have an alesis q61 but I think the action is too heavy. I hear the blofeld keyboard is really good but I already have a desktop module and the kbd version is like 10x as expensive.

I would love to have that chassis with ES110 action and sounds.