>runs Sony BSD
>higher clock speed
>more system memory
>2tb hard drive
>bundled with keyboard and mouse
>desktop oriented software available in Sony store
>can still play same games as PS4 Pro, possibly with even further enhancements
>never has to be upgraded to play new games

Do you think anyone would buy it? Most people don't need a desktop PC for much anymore. Just things like typing a paper, doing their taxes, maybe editing some photos or videos. A system that can do all that but also plays PlayStation games would be pretty cool.

not a Sup Forums thread

only faggots care about videogames

That would instantly put Sony out of business. It would have been released years ago if it was viable for making money. Why sell only games when you can release a new console every few years on top of that?

If it had a custom osx like bsd it would disrupt the market

>It would have been released years ago if it was viable for making money.

This is the logic of people who never make any money.

the ps4 is already powerful enough to do thiw kind of task, they only had to sell a disc with kit like ps2 linux or online update their shit

>BSD
Those using BDS wouldn't need someone to do stuff for them.

The first models of the PS3 fat could actually install different OSes through DVD or USB and you could still play your ps3 games. Like ubuntu etc

PS2 could do this too.

If they partnered with Apple to provide OSX for it it would revolutionize the market in some sectors.

>Normies in high school/college could work and play on the same machine
>Normies who don't play games but use their Macbooks could be tempted to try PS4 games

Win/win for both Apple and Sony as both could potentially enlarge their userbase

Isnt't the whole point of a console is to be a budget desktop gaming PC? Yes it is. Why would they then go to trying to dip their hands in a market share that they know they won't be able to beat?

Sony would be too late to the desktop market. They abandoned SailfishOS because Android is too popular and Sony didn't have the power to bring Sailfish to the market even though it's much better than android. Do you really think they have the power to make BSD relevant?
>never has to be upgraded
This isn't how development works. Things have to be upgraded for newer gens because developers get more lazy every year and games get more bloated. Do you really think after 8 years the developers would make their games optimized for an 8 year old console? Nintendo and Microsoft would kill Sony. Plus, Sony would earn less than making new generations of PS every few years. So, a console-PC hybrid that can run only pre-2019 games and only PS games and can't even use most desktop software wouldn't be in high demand.

OS X is worse than Linux when it comes to gaming.

>desktop oriented software available in Sony store
That's where it would crumble,Sony doesn't do software. Besides, there would be need for 3rd party support and their user base isn't enough to justify ports.

>implying Apple would risk to affect their brand with gaymers and shitty Sony software/hardware
The only way to make it viable would be Applel buying them and fixing the mess, though they would probably raise the price too, making it a lot less attractive.

I think the idea was to make it somewhat of a dual boot. With MacOS running on a small internal SSD with access to the HDD. Given how well it runs on a fucking Core M, it'd be technically viable.

this is retarded on so many levels. the ps4 is competing as a game console, not as a desktop PC. they are two completely different markets. just buy a fucking PC for work and use a PS4 for exclusive games.

Sony already makes laptops, just buy one of those.

*Blocks your path* sonybro

We need the APU drivers. The ps4 can run linux or windows.

Most companies actually lose money on the consoles, at least at first. The real money comes from accessory sales and software.

And sell it to who?

If I can put GNU/Linux and libreboot it I'll fucking use it. Also, make it a laptop, you get to sell more people if you also offer an attachable screen or a PS laptop as an option.

I'll sure buy this OP.

They could just sell release a desktop OS that can be installed on existing PS4s. The 8 jaguar cores are good enough for most desktop tasks.

tb hard drive
>not an ssd

lmao DOA

already happened with the ps2

bye

They sold their PC business. VAIO is an independent company now

Don't listen to cucks from other companies, make it GNU/Linux compatible and capture that market.

BE SMART!

Glad to see how Sonyshilling/neogaf is shut down here, too bad they already have a foothold in Sup Forums

It doesn't work as a laptop, even non Pro wouldn't.

>desktop market
>Loonix
Come on.

They pulled that in a hurry when people started installing emulators.

Yes it would work as a laptop, also that market is what made thinkpads popular. We are talking serious here, more options for Sony if they offer laptops right away, you can attach a separate screen like raspi have and connect it to your tv, and if Sone sells a nice screen it will get that bonus.

They wouldn't do it without locking it down. It would only be a matter of time before someone got it running pirated games with minimal effort.

They would be good enough for very basic tasks. Light web browsing, chatting, sure. But it would still be slow and considered very low end. Worse than a cheaper pc.

The ps4 pro of course has a ok gpu, 10-20% worse than a 570 or so.

Anyways they wouldn't try this again, the ps3 had a good cpu for the time, current consoles don't. There's nothing in it for them, like someone else said they mainly make money through game, prepherials and of course subscriptions.

That thing needs way too much power, it'd be the equivalent of a gaymer laptop, which sell like shit. It's a bad idea.

Their best call is going for the Mac Mini format without Bluray drive.

Good thing about bad CPUs is that it doesn't really matter. Any laptop has a sufficient CPU for 99% of people. Together with an SSD, performance would be perfectly fine.

this
/thread

Well, if you say is the equivalent as a gaymer laptop and sell like shit they really ought to be more than just a gaming platform for being be similar to Mac minis. They should aim to be a full media center there, and by then they better use Linux.

Having a Linux media center and gaming would be good, yes I'll buy it.

>yes I'll buy it.
You and couple thousands of people, but it wouldn't be enough to make it work. Steam shit failed for a similar reason. Linux still blows for vidya, so it'll need dual boot either way, though I guess one could find a way to speed it up and loading up a second OS in the time it takes you to pick the software, which should be doable with sufficient SSD. (Which would raise the price quite a bit even before keyboard/mouse, so the shit would cost 700+)

Also can't it already be used as a media center? Xbone went that way too and remained irrelevant outside of gaymer market.

To replace a computer for majority of people to become commercially viable, it needs commercial software like on MacOS or Windows, and this still would kill the simplicity which is a big pro of consoles. Maybe running a dualboot with iOS could work once that is mature enough.

>Good thing about bad CPUs is that it doesn't really matter.
Its the most important part for a good experience, along with SSD and ram. Having no computer is sufficient for most people. Yet everyone wants a fast computer. They will install bloatware and do all sorts of things incorrectly.

I know some normalfags that have a laptop with a quad-core low power amd apu, and it's ass. It can't even play web videos without stuttering. Needless to say they don't use it and would rather use their phones or a old sandy i3 desktop.

>Yet everyone wants a fast computer.
And most wouldn't able to tell a difference between a Core M and a Xeon server given 8GB ram and a fast CPU, if the software running it isn't shit.

>It can't even play web videos without stuttering.
Probably due software/drivers. Besides, most APUs were below shit because of crappy single core performance (which gets extra crappy with unoptimized software). When talking about laptop CPUs, I had some 15W i5 in mind. Whether it's a SB or KB wouldn't matter for shit.

>and a fast CPU
Meant SSD.

Media center is one good point, but depending on how much power consumption will have they can ship it as SBC, or as a replacement for servers.

If it is stationary, as in, it will be put near a TV, of course is logic to serve as a media center, but also as a server. Linux will provide that, plus the loyal fanbase which is not yet capitalized but is there. The fanbase will promote this and won't let it die, so think about that.

Also, I was suggesting the laptop with an optional removable screen to step in to the laptop market, but I remark optional not shipping with.

The market for home servers is pretty small and the amount of people who would want that and a console is even smaller. Media centers aren't exactly popular either and the ones that do well, have a very strong infrastructure.

>plus the loyal fanbase
That will bitch about everything. Linux users can't even agree on one desktop distru or an UI for it. They are pretty annoying customers, with the only benefit that some have decent incomes. Just the amount of them makes it very risky to target them. Their loyalty might take a huge hit with some controversial decision too. Compared that to consolefags who eat up everything you throw at them, or casual PC buyers who don't give a damn as long the thing they bought is somewhat functional.

>laptop with an optional removable screen to step in to the laptop market
Too many choices like that will make it even less attractive for most consumers, who just want to buy one box and be done with it. The only advantage consoles have over PC is that they just work, the further you move away from that with different options, the less attractive it becomes for the biggest target group.

What you ask, is basically a PC.

You are wrong on so many levels. A combined use for of console and media center and server is not putting your eggs in one basket, after all what are the all-in-one gamble from microsoft and the nintendo switch.

And what the hell is that about having more choices?

Linux users will tweak everything to their needs and will let other less tech savvy users enjoy the results, Sony will benefit. Your supposed bitching is not so. Is already proven Linux people prefer consoles and they'll like this.

They despise Microsoft because is the software company fighting a nasty war on them, and they care shit on Apple because they don't make anything friendly to them.

>what are the all-in-one gamble from microsoft and the nintendo switch.
What MS does is pretty basic, there is pretty much nothing noteworthy about it.
Switch is a bit more experimental but Nintendo counts on their fanboys buying whatever they push out due exclusives either way.

Compared to Sony, Applel and MS are huge supporters of choice and tweaking. Sony showed historic hatred against tweaks on their hardware that makes Apples effort against jailbreaks seem sane.

Linux and Sony is a horrible mismatch.

Sony is looking to go beyond a gaming platform, if they go beyond something pretty basic as you say that would be an achievement. Hell, even MS tries to be everything everywhere.

Is not like this move from Sony would be revolutionary, it would be a foot into markets they didn't go before, yes, but MS already did.

to much room for fuckup in picking out hardware
I like my computer the way I built it
Sony would be better off making a PS drive that plugs into my already built desktop PC and allows you to play the PS games off disc

Wasn't some other user suggesting Sony go for the SBC/Mac Mini design? Not much room for hardware tweaking there.

Just leave room to software tweaking and you are golden.

Is not like they ought to let GPU be upgradeable, only let hard drives be and maybe provide additional hardware functions like any other SBC do, through dongles.

Lets be clear, if you go with Linux from the start you get to be friendly to that community.

Think about it.

>linux community.
>friendly
Bwahahahaha

Think about that for a second because what you said is a double edged sword.

Also, stop generalizing. you are trying to sell other OS which are less than compatible for Sony, and even worse business decision.

Not only did Sony sell off VAIO few years back, but they've zero incentive to do this.

If you want a PS4, you get a PS4, if you want a PC, you get a PC.

This would presumably be targeted at the consumer market, in which the PC is on its last legs, in favor for tablets/phones.

all my parts are upgradable

there is no way sony can build a new box that is worth buying when my pc does so much

but with an add on drive I might still plug in to play their exclusives

I am not sure they will go for an upgradeable computer user. It would be nice, but if they want to keep hardware for themselves and they try to go for an Apple-like business and shutting down, while not being an SBC, they are gonna get a hard time.

Make it freetard-friendly, instant fanbase.

Use Libreboot and you get insane publicity.

Essentially multiplatform games that stay on previous gen....

So like BF4 on Xbox 360 and One....

So how's this news again?

Hypothetically, when this will came out?

Is the PS3 still the best blue ray player even now?

No 4K support.

So, an AMD-based PC?
You can build one yourself.

>never has to be upgraded to play new games
Until they release the PSdesktop 2 and make you buy the whole thing again, you mean.

i don't really see the point seeing as desktop pc's already exist and do everything you listed with the exception of playing PS4 games, what you are suggesting is more or less just a handicapped desktop. i would however love to see some of the sony exclusives ported to the pc.

>Sony BSD
stopped reading there nigger

if it doesn't use a proper BSD like FreeBSD, NetBSD, openBSD, DragonflyBSD, TrueOS, it can fuck right off

and I'm a Linux user

>and i'm a linux user
opinion discarded

>So how's this news again?
You tell me.

No money to be made on desktop OSes unless you sell to businesses and Microsoft has the market locked down

>This isn't how development works. Things have to be upgraded for newer gens because developers get more lazy every year and games get more bloated.
That was referring to the idea that you'd never have to buy a new GPU or CPU to keep up with games being released. At least as long as the current console cycle lasts. Once the PS5 comes out you'd have to buy a new desktop computer with PS5 hardware in it. But you wouldn't need to do that until around 2024. Seven years is a good enough lifespan.

>Sony doesn't do software.
It would just be google docs, or a version of an BSD-based open source office suite they'd port. The potential userbase is plenty enough people.

Those laptops don't play PS4 games.

>They will install bloatware and do all sorts of things incorrectly.

This shouldn't be such an issue since it is a walled garden system where you can only install things through the store that have been approved by Sony beforehand. It'd be more like a phone/chromebook than a traditional desktop PC.

>Sony would be better off making a PS drive that plugs into my already built desktop PC and allows you to play the PS games off disc
This would actually be very cool. Such things already existed in the past for the PlayStation and PS2 development kits.

GPU should not be upgradeable. Hard drive and one auxillary port with a proprietary design for Sony licensed accessories (along with the standard PC ports like USB, audio in/out, etc).

NO Linux. No installation of any other OS than Sony's. This is a system designed to make money and you're going to be charging people for software through the store, even if it's only 99 cents that will still add up. Giving people free software is suicide.

This system would basically be a toy desktop PC for super casualfags who want to type a paper and browse Sup Forums, but also play vidya without worrying about configuration.

>This would presumably be targeted at the consumer market, in which the PC is on its last legs
That's the whole idea. There's very little market for Desktop PCs anymore but there are a few tasks that people will always need one to do. Even laptops are a shrinking market. But consoles are still pretty popular and having a desktop PC that can play console games without needing to know anything of the tech side of PC gaming could be something tempting for Generation Z who lack knowledge of how to build or maintain a PC.

It should have come out at the same time as the PS4 if it had bee done right. Price would have been $600.

AMD PC can't play Bloodborne or Horizon : Zero Dawn.

Naturally. But hey you can trade in your old PSPC and get $100 off of the new model :3 that's a good deal, right?

Who cares?

Ship with Linux if you want to win money, or it will die.

You and others like you are delusional. Normies hear the word Linux associated with anything and instantly nope out.

> mfw bloodborne is just the shitty stillborn child of Dark Souls
> mfw who the fuck cares about a generic third person story driven game
Are you autistic user?

>runs Sony BSD
>but locked down like every other console OS
>pay $400 for a low-end PC that gooks get to control

No thanks

Nah, PS4 would be effectively a desktop and no one outside of niche PC gamers want a desktop anymore.

You are wrong, they will relate to a full working computer and that is what they'll get.

lol you are gone man. Fully drank the kool-aid

Is this gonna happen or is just for attention? Because I really want a Playstation with Linux.

Announce this on /fglt/ when the time comes.

It's just a theoretical scenario, not actual news.

Did anyone really use the PS3 as a desktop PC? It seemed like Sony treated it like an afterthought. I never saw any marketing that featured a keyboard and mouse and someone doing productivity stuff on a PS3.

If it was under $400, I'd buy one, just to be able to play casually but with a mouse and keyboard. Being able to absolutely destroy everyone in every game of calladuty AND being able to play all them choise playstation exclusives(basically just TLOU tho), I wouldn't be able to turn it down.

Too bad.

meme it enough and it will become reality

Really? Because I like to see this happen.