This distro - update/package meme = perfection

This distro - update/package meme = perfection

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/font_configuration.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How does it compare to Ubuntu? I'm thinking of using Linux for the first time.

Not perfection but it's the best DE available now. It's pretty good. Has the least bugs balanced with most usability

>living without AUR
>almost 2018

Forgot to say cinnamon. But goes without saying using mint for any other reason than a well tweaked cinnamon machine is a meme

Distros and DEs are not the same thing. Which version of Mint are you running?

It's duct-taped together, maintained by hobbyists and more unsafe and unreliable. The whole distro revolves around making Ubuntu "easy for windows users".

Ubuntu is for plebs, use mint or manjaro

... but it's still better than ubuntu...

>It's duct-taped together
The fuck are you even implying? That gnome isn't duct taped together with their shit JavaScript shell, extensionshits, and gtk3 fuckery? Sure mint doesn't have the backing of a company like red hat so it's slightly less stable, but it's worth it. Mint hobbyist devs are much better at making design decisions.

I started with this exact combination: Mint + cinnamon. Later I switched to arch + kde, which I consider to be a superior linux experience. Hunt down PPAs is a drag. However, Mint is not unsafe by any means, lol. They just got their website hacked, the distro itself is just as safe as you can go with any other distro.

cinnamon has been ported to better distros, there's no reason to put up with the incompetent mint devs

Default DE (Mint has more user friendly and comfy cinnamon),

diffrent update manager (Mint triest to dont let updates make your distro unstable or broken while ubuntu downloads everything it can).

Preinstalled apps (Mint has better driver manager and firewall GUI also mint has more apps preinstaled).

Ikey is absolutely destroying other hobbyist distributions though. Solus is an amazing desktop distribution.

>Budgie
Post screenshot. I'll try it if there's not like 6 panels on the screen like I last saw

I'm using Budgie and it feels a little fat. The MATE version of Solus is great too though.

Is it possible to have just one panel with start menu at bottom?

>atom
>chrome
found your problem

Yeah. That's the default.

I was talking about the titlebars and Chrome is not even a heavy browser. Sure Atom is a piece of electron shit but I'm mostly using Vim anyways.

I'll give it a try. Budgie website says it's still in development so I hope not too many bugs.

if you are going to use a debian based distro i would recommend using debian

It's not buggy at all. Honestly though, it's probably the best distribution out there for desktops. If you need some obscure software, it might not be available on the repositories though.

If you're comfortable with Adapta, Arc or Evopop, you'll have no problems with the themes either. If you use any other GTK theme, make sure you check the "Use Built-in Theme" option to theme the Budgie-specific elements (just the panel and the sidebar you'll never use) with the default theme (it blends well with most themes).

This

Why should anybody use any other than Debian?

you can install cinnamon on other distros
im running debian with cinnamon

Just tried live cd. Looks like the best DE I've tried, I'll try for a couple days crossing my fingers it will hold up to scrutiny. Do you know of any way to enable alt+left click to move windows in budgie? I've had it in every WM I'm super used to it.

icon theme?

Probably the same way as GNOME. If you're on the live cd try tossing a gnome-tweak-tool on it and playing around with it. Should work. Can't confirm as I'm on my hackintosh atm.

Papirus. Don't know if Solus has edited it.

It's forked from Ubuntu, you idiot

i use mint since i like windowish enviroments and hated ubuntu unity bloat.

but its not super hot , design and menus are shit even with themes.

meh i guess it does the work

I tried it out in anger on FreeBSD and lately Ubuntu 16.04. Pretty OK I had it setup quick just how it was last time I ran Gnome back on Ubuntu 10.04.

That setup in turn mimics how I used to setup IceWM on OpenBSD and Debian going back to the 90s.

Try Ubuntu-MATE installer, it's the most polished way to get MATE. You can easily install other desktop environments as well and switch between them at login, to try them out with the excellent support and stability of Ubuntu. Make sure you only use LTS.

there is no reason to use cinnamon when KDE5 exists now

>shitty knockoff of BSD ports
>rolling versions trashing your setup

Mint is a peace of shit. All the talk about it's poor security is related to the way they manage updates (nobody gives a shit about their hacked Wordpress site). Also, packages from official repos are old and a choice of versions is not based on anything. Also, hate their firefox botnet rice.
The only good thing about Mint is a good hardware suport out of the box but it's not worth it.
Still better than Fedora, though.

Alright I got it all installed. Looks greats, aside from this font rendering. Holy fuck it feels like I have eye cancer. What the fuck.

How is that bad? It's sharp and clear. Pic related is my Mac (which are supposed to have "the best" font rendering) and it looks all blurry and messy. According to the Solus dev, Solus uses Ubuntu's font rendering. Try switching your font.

Damn that looks almost as bad as Solus. Pic related is what good font rendering looks like

The rendering is similar to the Solus screenie. The font and the size are just different. And yes, Mac's font rendering fucking sucks balls, I had way better rendering on any Linux distro out there.

That was Mints fonts. I checked and settings say it's using same font as mints settings. Noto Sans. It's clearly not though. All applications look like absolute shit.

You cannot beat Xubuntu. It can't be beat.

If you know your way around the font config files, you could easily copy your font settings from Mint to Solus.

I don't. How can I do this? It's the only problem I've encountered this far but it's glaringly obvious

Not even remotely close to offering the same security, compatibility and usability of Ubuntu.

Cinnamon on Arch (based distros) is more comfier than on Mint.

I'm not on Linux at the moment and it's been a while since I've played around with the fonts. Most of the font configuration happens in /etc/fonts/. You'll find a plenty of information from there: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/font_configuration.

Usually, setting the same hinting and DPI options from tools like Gnome Tweak Tool should do the trick though. If you're on 16:9, force DPI to 96 and hint slight.

Went back to arch i3 after using solus budgie for a monthish.

Chrome would lock the entire system up at least twice a day.

It didn't fucking work. Why the fuck reinvent the wheel and make a new distro? Going to install budgie on Ubuntu and hope it works

Sorry thought we were talking about MATE, not the hobbyist respin of Ubuntu called Mint.

It's fucking hot garbage. Installing mint again now

So??????

It's an IMPROVED Ubuntu you fucking autistic virgin nigger.

>Vim anyways.
if you were a real vim user you wouldn't even have that atom trash installed

I never said I am a real Vim user. Sure I use Vim most of the time, but yet I end up using Atom every now and then. For big projects and webdev shittery (work), I use exclusively Atom. You can go somewhere else with your text editor elitism, grandpa, because I don't care.

nice meme

Openbox is the best distro

Bruh

Vanilla Ubuntu runs Unity atm and it's worse than Mint Cinnamom imo, but Xubuntu (Ubuntu + XFCE) is still unmatched to be honest.

Untill CinanomBuntu will appear