What's Sup Forums opinion on OpenSUSE?

What's Sup Forums opinion on OpenSUSE?

Reminds me of KeK, which is ironic, since it's German. Have tried using it in the past, couldn't really get into it. I normally enjoy using German software.

I set up a spare PC as a Linux box to keep handy and I went with OpenSUSE + KDE, YaST is really handy for certain system administration tasks and you don't have to re-learn how to use it if you're changing system settings remotely via SSH (its UI is laid out the same whether you're using the GUI or text mode version). Tumbleweed so far in my experience strikes a good balance between "up-to-date software" and "stuff doesn't break randomly" (save for my wireless, kernel 4.13 apparently broke that but rebooting with 4.12 fixed it).

My only complaints that pertain specifically to the distro itself so far are that I had to use a particular kernel version to reliably use the wireless card I put in (and I bought the card from ThinkPenguin specifically for no-hassle Linux compatibility) and I had to add extra package repos for media codecs and MinGW.

Leap: Stable, YaST is wonderful, bloated, zypper is shit.
Tumbleweed: Same but with broken packages.

Great concept, shitty, tiny repos. If it had the same breadth as Arch+AUR I'd be using it. It doesn't, so I don't.

>Bought thinkpad R61 for something along the line of a loaf of bread
>about to get openSuse 11.2 working on it
It's a sacrificial lamb or something along those lines so my expectations are low, but I think it'll do the trick

You need to add 5/6 extra repositories to get multimedia software, YaST is god awful but zypper is nice.

Pepe Browser!

Average distro.
Latest Leap is the definition of brokenSUSE. Ancient kernel with duct taped hardware support amd shitty perfomance. Default settings which are suitable for a server but not for a desktop. Debian is better.
Tumbleweed - disappointment. Stupid server settings are still there (on a fucking bleeding edge distro). Poor perfomance which can be fixed but I don't want to bother. Arch is better.

Lunduke is the only good thing about openPEPE

Best KDE distro.

Aside from Ubuntu, OpenSuSE is the most complete desktop-ready distro. The problem is that, even though it has a simple installer, the majority of babies with the bathwater can't into an intermediately difficult distro. RPM based distributions are not what theyre used to.

why do you think zypper is shit?

lol at these archildren who think this arch is actually relevant compared to suse

>trying to look edgy while defending a useless distro

one day you'll understand 99% of people don't want a bleeding edge rolling release distro and you look like a tard injecting arch into every discussion

We are talking not only about Leap here (which is a dumpster fire) but also about Tumbleweed which advertises itself as a stable alternative to Arch. It's clearly worse than Arch, though because it has piss poor documentation, stupid default settings (who da fuck needs wicked on a desktop?), YAST which is slow as fuck and a half broken package manager which loves to delete more packages than it installs.

I tried to like Tumbleweed, but the lack of software on repos made me leave, also I tried to use some of those one-click installs and none worked.

So I'm back at Manjaro.

I wish openSUSE would step it up, I would like a rolling release distro backed by an actual company.

>I would like a rolling release distro backed by an actual company
What for? Fedora is backed by the main loonix contributor and it's shite.

Was always broken whenever I tried it

broken piece of shit. Can't even run sudo [program] from terminal correctly and zypper is slow and unintuitive compared to apt/yum/pacman.

I tried it and didn't like it. For me Opensuse depends on too much 3rd party repos which are badly maintained

I still can't believe there is people here that find openpepe hard lmao, you have yast, zypper even can manage multiple repos easily
>cannot run sudo
because you have to use gnomesu retard, if you want to use sudo just remove the "#" on /etc/pam.d/sudo

Broken Display drivers