/pcbg/ - PC Building General

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an SSD. Consider buying a large SSD for the price of an HDD + SSD, and saving 50$ next paycheck to buy an HDD
>If your build needs Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter. General rule of thumb is more than 2 antennas

If you want help:
>Remember, we're not here to build a PC for you, we're here to help you
>View this handy guide on picking parts
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>If your part list needs a monitor, be sure to include information like response time, refresh rate, and resolution
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaymen, Video Editing, VM Work
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

CPUs:
No i5's unless discounted
>A8-9600 (APU) - Poverty-tier builds (At this point, if it's for gaymen, you should just buy an Optiplex and put a GPU in)
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (~500)
>R3 1300x - Gap between 1200 & Ryzen 5, consider a 1400 if you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best bang for your buck with gaymen & mixed uses, 1600x if you don't like overclocking
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use, not just for gaymen

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up, using an old GPU / waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>1050 TI - 1080p 60hz at low / medium settings (Anything below this, if it's for gaymen, you should just buy an Optiplex and put a better GPU in)
>RX 580 - 1080p 60hz at high / ultra settings, supports Freesync
>1060 6GB - 1080p 60hz at high/ ultra settings, supports G-Sync
>1070 - 1080p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 1440p 60hz at high / ultra settings
>1080 TI - 1440p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 4k 60hz at high / ultra settings

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM, 3200(+) MHz is ideal

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/PQP8D8
tweaktown.com/news/59229/intel-working-dual-core-i3-7360x-x299/index.html
extremetech.com/computing/254521-rumor-prices-leak-intels-coffee-lake
hothardware.com/news/amd-confirms-rare-ryzen-smt-bug-and-fix
pcpartpicker.com/list/4vbR7h
techspot.com/amp/review/1474-ryzen-vs-older-budget-cpus/
pcpartpicker.com/list/g6qrNN
mega.nz/#!CIMSgAJR!a400IgIm7_Ak4RCg5-iQ43MR2hG7TNWQhT3ZT8wiSLs
zisworks.com/
youtu.be/azX4Qs7n2_Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Coffin Lake will destroy Ryzen!

Ryzen is good enough with shit designs and flaws

Intel is still king, but you pay a premium because they're super greedy, and the solder ....is pigeon poop

I FUCKING HATE AMD I HAVE PROOF YOU HAVE A FX ON JEWTUBE REEEEEEEEEE

If it's sub $300 and provides 7700k@5ghz like performance on all 6 cores then it could be the performance champ till ryzen refresh/zen 2 comes out

I only want to play in 1080@144, its ok this list?

pcpartpicker.com/list/PQP8D8

I already have the case and the psu (550W)

You should probably update your "ifs" because you're in for bad surprises.

>shit designs and flaws
yea amd sucks they don't have a EXTREME DUAL CORE

tweaktown.com/news/59229/intel-working-dual-core-i3-7360x-x299/index.html

>provides 7700k@5ghz like performance
what like stuttering, its my favorite intel feature?

> being this retarded

Infinity fabric is causing nothing but issues

Ryzen has segment faults so you can't use it for anything but games and video encoding.

Coffee Lake will probably be the last Intel CPU worth buying until 2021. Cannonlake is getting skipped over by OEM's because of delays, and Icelake will be 10nm to Ryzen 2's 7nm, and Ryzen 2 should theoretically cathc up to Intel in clockspeed. Intel will HAVE to lower Icelake prices because it won't have any significant advantage.

Infinity fabric is causing nothing but 32 cores with 99.9% scaling and cheap 8 cores, you need to stop posting brian

I ran prime95 for two days with no errors tho

Stop being retarded. Ryzen has to deal with spikes on a single thread to 100% plus the cross-CCX latency. No CPU is perfect and I'm a Ryzen owner before you accuse me of being a shill.

>Intel CPU
>worth buying
what?

What stuttering? Not even my old i5 stutters and it's like 100% slower than the flagship i7 7700k

> being this retarded and that much of a shill
> You have no idea how wrong you are

>muh segfault
SHILL TRIPFAGGOT DETECTED POINT AND LAUGH

Wow intel really has cut its marketing budget recently

extremetech.com/computing/254521-rumor-prices-leak-intels-coffee-lake
>Under $300
>Quad cores were over $300 last year.
>He thinks hexa cores will be under $300

Seg faults have been fixed since week 25 of prodution, which you can RMA your cpu if you are in fact affected by the issue. Hell, the seg fault issue wasn't even an issue on ALL Ryzen cpus from weeks 1-24. hothardware.com/news/amd-confirms-rare-ryzen-smt-bug-and-fix

Infinity fabric is causing nothing more than the destruction of Moore's law, which was on the brink of death anyways.

>He doesn't know how wrong he is.

Get faster ram.

>sub $300
>6 cores
>unlocked
lol

DONT SHITTALK DADDY MOORE HES A GOOD MERCHANT STOP SLANDERING HIM DIRTY GOYIM IM CALLING THE ADL

I have 1600 mhz ddr3 but I don't see the requirement for faster ram as my performance is smooth as it is. Also I've tired ocing my ram before and even going from 1600 to 1866 with my corsair vengeance ddr3 causes black screens after a while so I just leave it at 1600 mhz

Andrew grove is a dirty jew and i was very thankful when he died last year

2 jews down one to go, but i want moore to watch AMD, nvidia, and qualcomm set his company on fire before he dies

What are you talking about? How does
make me in any way affiliated to Intel?

pcpartpicker.com/list/4vbR7h

>oy vey goyim you dont need 4 cores

AMD is the white mans prosessor

>muh bingbus
Ringbus is obsolete, moar coars is the future and so is hyperscaling. AMD is always right in the end.

Im going to use threadripper to go on a nigger killing spree

Intel's existence proves that hitler did nothing wrong

When did i say you don't need 4 cores? I'd say 4 cores is the budget sweet spot right now. You can get 2500k's for like 60 bucks and they'll be more than enough for 9/10 games paired with something like a gtx 1060. Same goes for the ryzen 1200 but it's more expensive and slightly slower than the 2500k even when OC to 4ghz and 4.5ghz respectively.

techspot.com/amp/review/1474-ryzen-vs-older-budget-cpus/

I want hitler to gas dirty slavs like you brian

>pcpartpicker.com/list/4vbR7h
1080 is garbage price/performance. it's only a little better than a 1070. This is why it's not on the OP

Wow, AMD is hiring some really racist shills. Not like you're superior, Pajeet.

Fixed for the correct ram, since 1080p high refresh is the target, 1070 is fine, so used that price difference for a 240GB ssd. pcpartpicker.com/list/g6qrNN

You may be saving money, which is fine. Just keep in mind you'\re buying into a dead / dated platform with limited options for upgrades.

I was more concerned with the memory than the gpu, but when he said he wanted 1080p, figured Id take the liberty to swap the 1080 for a 1070 + ssd.

I decided not to go to the hospital because I wanted to show off my RAM overclock

Hmm, after disabling two cores AND hyperthreading on my 6 core Ryzen to simulate an i5, playing CS:GO unlocked never stuttered or or even maxed out my CPU. This is with a million Firefox tabs open simultaneously. Maybe Chromecucks have issues but 64 Firefox is very easy on even low clock quad cores. In fact it was pretty smooth. I guess I learned that you can get a mostly consistent 1440p.240fps on a Ryzen 3 if anyone was interested. (pic is in 1080p to fit Sup Forums file limits)

Actually the 1070 is pointless now because prices are still inflated for mining. You can pay $450 for 1070 on Newegg, or $500-550 for a 1080. The 1070 isn't worth $450.

>Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
$162.88 $162.88 OutletPC
>G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
$173.99 FREE $173.99 Newegg
Literally why?

does that cooler come with the am4 bracket?

>memory type: unknown

>Hyper 212
>2017

Y'all niggas need to stop this shit. This shit was good in like 2014. The Cryorig H7 is better nowdays at the same price.

it's not my RAM's fault that Speccy is shit

Because that LPX kit uses junk Hynix memory ICs and may or may not work at full speed after some manual fiddling with it. The trident Z kit is samsung b-die, and will work without issue.
mega.nz/#!CIMSgAJR!a400IgIm7_Ak4RCg5-iQ43MR2hG7TNWQhT3ZT8wiSLs Here's a spreadsheet explaining this stuff, as well as listing a good portion of memory kits based on speed, cas latency, sku number, and the known memory IC / configuration.

I could have picked a ddr4-3000 kit that would also be better than that 3200 kit, then used the price difference for a better cooler, but I assume he doesn't want to overclock and deal with all that shit if he's buying a 1600x.

It's actually slightly more expensive, not by much, but if you don't want to OC on the 1600x the 212 evo is fine, hell, could have just got the be quiet true spirit slim and saved some change.

Nice memory.

>t. Cryoshill
If you can't spend the cash on a NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 3. the 212 is fine.

Is 1440p a meme? Should one consider it over 1080p? Or is it better to wait for volta and jump straight to 4k?

Just wait two GPU generations. That's when we'll get 144hz 4K monitors and GPUs that will be the same price as current 1440p 144hz monitors and GPUs.

Well it's the highest resolution you can play at 165hz while also being sharper than 1080p. 4k 120hz+ monitors aren't even available yet, and I think the Asus one that's supposed to be coming out that using daisy chained DP is speculated at $1200.

where the fuck do you get a full version of windows 10 from

Microsoft's website

>1080 is garbage price/performance
Not really, considering all gfx cards are over priced. At its perf level, it's one of the better price/perf

The OP is retarded anyway

i5 2500K is poor purchase because of the power efficiency, old socket, and DDR3. Better to get the 1200 on AM4 if you're buying now. Perf difference between the two is minimal.

GTX 1080 is overkill for 1080p. Any game that you want running at 120FPS can be easily run at that framerate with a cheaper graphics card (CSGO, R6:S, Overwatch, etc). Games like PUBG aren't going to hit near that framerate no matter the gfx card you have

>Icelake will be 10nm to Ryzen 2's 7nm
Node numbers are just marketing BS

1440p is a good choice for monitor sizes and viewing distances and the midrange GPU power required to run them

buy an OEM key from someone on the internet for 20 bucks

Is this a meme or real?

>G.SKILL FlareX for AMD Ryzen AMD 16GB [2x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL 14-14-14 DIMM]
Is this worth the price? I heard timings matter for ryzen as much as frequency and it's even advertised as ryzen compatible.

>oem

naa

Scythe fuma is damn near just as good as either of those coolers and costs 40% less.

zisworks.com/
Eh, it's DIY and fairly expensive, but it's 4k 120hz.

Try searching "media creation tool" Also this You'll probably have to call up microsoft and get them to activate it for you, but it'll be an activated copy.

>Node numbers are marketing BS
Yep, for a good long while physical gates were smaller than the rated node size, but with the introduction of finfets, the physical gate is significantly larger than the advertised node size.

Just buy the cheapest 3200 CL14 kit you can get. There are a handful of 3200 CL15, and one 3200 CL16 kit that are known to use b-die. But the geil evo x 3200 kit is unavailable. Pictured is a list of well known and confirmed b-die its.

Any 3200c14 will work the same. If you can find different sticks 3200c14, but cheaper, buy them.

Whats the best nvme SSD out there to get? I'm only looking for a boot drive, 250gb max

Ah this is probably the cheapest cl14 I can get anyway. There are not that many of them available out here.

nvme benefits are lost on boot drives

Intel's existence proves that Hitler did everything wrong.

So I understand when installing Dual Channel RAM that you put it in paired slots, 1-3 or 2-4, but any particular reason why it was previously recommended (pic related) to prioritize 2-4? I was I just getting messed with

just for spacing with big heatsinks

kthx, that was bugging me

Where do you live, user? Pcpartpicker will allow you to filter by speed, size, latency, etc.

Don't know any technical reason. But I know all AM4 boards, and I think even intel boards recommend 2-4 for a 2 stick configuration. Is a good reason.

There is no pcpartpicker for my country and even if I could find something a bit cheaper it's not really worth the time shipping from germany or uk when I can get it next day if I order here.

*The* best that comes in 250GB?
Samsung 960 EVO.
Otherwise, even the cheapest NVMe will be more than fast enough.

Pic-related is the PC that I've spent four weeks planning to build. I started off with a 1050ti but eventually decided that it would be wiser to go with a 1060 3gb since it's only $50 more expensive for a 50% performance boost.

There's a deal going on over at my local best buy on a pr*built with similar specs. Considering that Amazon's free shipping will take a week, and my MOBO won't ship for a week or two, should I just go with the pr*built?

Pre-built's specs
>Ryzen 5 1400
>RX 580 4GB
>1TB HDD
>8GB DDR4 RAM
>Includes windows, I can't afford a good OEM drive right now so I was going to run Linux on my planned build

Best AM4 B350 m-atx board for Ryzen 1700 OC?

My case is m-atx, so an atx won't fit.

I was about to say that we don't know what's the ram in prebuilt, but then noticed you're using shit cheap ram anyway.

Is the prebuilt the same price? That RX580 is better than the 1060.

I should also mention that I just received a freesync monitor from my g*rlfriend for my birthday too.

How does the R3 1200 stack against the FX8350? Which is the better buy?
My friend is selling his 8350 build to me for $550. That's the amount I could buy a R3 system.

>no SSD
>single, slow RAM stick

Don't even bother thinking about shitdozer.

How is that ram cheap? Not only is it by Ballistix, it also has a speed of 2400/mhz, which I've read is good enough for Ryzen (This speed is also compatible with that MOBO). I just can't afford 3000/3200mh/z right now.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the pr*built costs $700 before tax.

I already have an SSD laying around.

Bazooka

>it also has a speed of 2400/mhz, which I've read is good enough for Ryzen
It's not. The minimum you should get is 2666MHz.

Ok so after watching Logical Increments' PC building vid, after I have Windows installed is there a particular order to update BIOS and Drivers?
Like Windows Update>MoBo BIOS>Graphics Drivers

AMD to GO!

But yeah, what do you guys think? Good deal or no? Seems like I'm getting fucked over regarding ram anyhow since """good""" ram is so expensive these days.

Always update from the lowest level acces to the highest. So it will be Mobo bios -> cpu chipset (if applicable) -> windows updates -> gpu drivers.

How is Zotac as a graphics card vendor?

pretty decent. Get one with 2 fans though, minimum.

Fair enough. I too sometimes pay more for something out of convenience.

Eh, at the lower capacity range, the MydigitalSSD BPX tends to shit on the 960 evo's. And not just price:perf.

I'd just go with the prebuilt, to be honest.

Asrock ab350m Pro4, Asus Prime B350m-A, GIgabyte GA-Ab350m-gaming 3

The 1200 will shit all over the 8350. Don't take it from me, though. Take it from technigger. youtu.be/azX4Qs7n2_Q

user, there's a reason even the A320 boards support memory overclocking. If you look around, often you can find faster ram for the same price as the slower stuff.

I think they're good, but have never owned any of their stuff personally. Friends have had good experiences, though.

Where can I find a good, but cheap SSD? I only need it for OS with Win 10, so I shouldn't need more than 60, right?

Anything I should consider having set up ahead of time? Like MoBo Bios on a dongle, or should I just dl and run everything on the PC when it's built?

as long as they're not fucking you with an a320 motherboard i'd say go for the prebuilt. If it has an a320, don't buy it. You won't get the joy of building though and can't pick your parts so it might look like shit though since it'll probably be in a gaudy gamers case and a non modular psu. I'd say since it has an RX580 which is better than the 1060 anyways and you already have a freesync monitor it's worth it. This is assuming it's like ~750 after tax.

Only thing keeping me from buying an RX Vega today is noise concerns. Can anybody vouch for the noise levels being unacceptable?

>Like MoBo Bios on a dongle

Yes, do that above all else. Depending on which board you have you might even be able to update the bios without a cpu installed (typically only really high end boards support this).

If you're worried about noise don't buy a blower cooler.

at minimum, get 120 or 240 GB. It's more space for the money. Sandisk makes a great 120 GB for around $50-60 called the SSD Plus. Otherwise, spring for 240 gb.

They run pretty hot compared to GTX cards, the noise levels are naturally going to be higher. Best bet would be an aftermarket cooler like an aio or custom loop and using your own fans.

If you live in the states, just use pcpartpicker and get a cheap 120GB. If not, look on aliexpress / gearbest / amazon / whereever and get the best price you can on a kingdian. 64GB is technically enough, but you're going to have to constantly monitor your OS drive and keep it clean. Plus the price difference between a 64GB and a 120GB are negligible at best.

Don't buy a reference card unless you plan on putting an aftermarket cooler on it. Otherwise wait for AIB models to release.

Fucking miners, will the prices ever get better? I picked the wrong time to decide to upgrade my GPU.

Polaris cards are starting to come down in price. Give it about a month> The miners have all their attention on Vega.

>He missed 580 for 105 pounds
I'm gonna laugh at you all who missed that deal.

Any recommendations for a good WiFi adapter that can pick up 5GHz bands?