/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

headphonescompared.com/the-best-headphone-brands-from-worst-to-best/
0db.co.kr/xe/REVIEW_0DB/71989
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

SHP9500 or m40x or HD 280? or MDR 7506?

Is O2+ODAC a good combo for M1060?

okay so i have been using a usb headset and the other day i got a headset with a 3.5mm combo sound and mic jack and when i plugged it in, it played sounds fine but it also records sounds from my headset speakers, like if i talk into the ear cup it will record it there and not the mic. how do i fix this.

I hate my life

Someone suggested I spend $30 on sheepskin genuine leather pads for my 7506s, I bought some $1 chinese pleather pads instead.

They sound great, basically identical to stock.
Only problem is the lip on the reverse side that attaches to the headphone is much tighter than the originals, so you really have to work hard to put them on.
I had to slip them on over the entire headphone can and then slowly scoot them back into the groove where they're supposed to sit, making them much harder to take off, and they won't slip around like the stock pads did, so there's a plus.

i fell for so many memes and I regret it

>go back to using the Soundmagic E10 after spending a couple of weeks with the Etymotic MK5
>everything sounds like shit
>muddy as fuck

please help. ;~;

shp9500 for open
m40x for closed

yes

That will be ok for a while, but i doubt it will last much longer than stock pads.
The leather would last years.

dude sell that off and buy the monolith m565 and the monolith THX desktop amp when it comes out
you'll be much happier

>tfw fell for the neutral meme

I have never heard more boring headphones. Should I just return them?

the stock pads lasted about 2 years before they suddenly disintegrated.

Maybe I'll go leather next time.

DT 990.

Are wireless headphones just a meme or worth it?
Any wireless recommendations?

>neutral
Recessed treble and no bass isn't neutral

Go with the beyerdynamic custom one pro for great bass, or the he-400i for open back perfection.

COPs dark tf. You grab the Custom Studios.

Both far from neutral AND overpriced, you can have the same sound for much less with the HD558.
DT880 is much better than HD598 and pretty far from boring.

>DT880 is much better than HD598 and pretty far from boring.
But also deafens the listener

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

>boosted upper treble is bad
>implying APO equalizer doesn't exist

kek

>>boosted upper treble is bad
Well, it obviously is.
If I'm forced to use an EQ to listen to a pair of headphones than I'd rather buy something else

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

>overpriced
they went on a pretty good clearance sale with the HD599 coming out

>should I just return them
No.
>I have never heard more boring headphones.
Classic reaction, first time neutral headphones. They'll sound boring at first. Little by little they'll sound better and better. You'll need your ears/brain to break in.
It took me a full week, three years ago. I'm glad I stuck around with them.

>source: my ass
The only studies related to Non-neutral FR causing some sort of deafness points to much greater disparities, such as the ones seen on some Beats models and only because the listeners would raise the volume too much.

If you can't learn about the subject of the thread at least learn how to shitpost properly.

It was a joke user. You don't need to take everything so seriously

The point of the matter is the DT880 are extremely sibilant pieces of shit.

I just bought AirPods 20 minutes ago.

Laugh at me Sup Forums.

>spend $300+ on headphones
>just to listen to anime music

LMAO

>extremely sibilant pieces of shit
Typical ears used to veiled signatures.
Either that or you only listen to poorly mastered japanese shit with tons of compression and screeching highs made for anime.

My K612 are fine

Sounds like you want v-shape you pleb.

DT770 is what you want.

>5dB less at 10000Hz
Wooow, the difference!
Granted, it's closer to neutral if that's what you want and better than HD559 and other cheap sennheiser headphones.

So basically you don't listen to anything because every headphone benefits from equalization, and it literally takes all of 2-3 minutes

Benefeting and being required are two different things.

I can't use the 880s without EQ. I can use the K612 without it just fine

Then your 'argument' for senns being shit holds not value because you can eq them to sound like anything. Not to mention it's the closest to baseline neutrality. So it's a win-win.

Hell, even Harman used a cheap HD518 for virtual headphone testing.

Sennheiser master race.

>literally takes all of 2-3 minutes
now now dude, you don't expect people who argue all day over "muh neutrality" without even knowing about the circle of confusion to actually know how to use an EQ, do you?

>I can't use the 880s without EQ
That sounds like a personal problem though, not a problem with the headphone.

My hearing's too good, I know.

No, sennheisers are shit because there's one thing you cant fix with equalization and that's massive dips in response like the sennheisers bass response. If you raise something too much, the distortion goes way up. In this case, the bass is recessed and already has a high distortion profile, so trying to EQ the bass to flat results in a huge amount of it and it sounds like muddy shit.

Then, if you try to equalize the recessed highs of the hd600s, the distortion goes up in those regions too. Not as much as the bass, but definitely to the point of audibility.

So basically you can spend $200-300 on headphones that are mid-centric and don't respond well to EQ while having a myriad of build quality issues, or you can buy headphones that have some peaks in their response, eq them without a massive increase in distortion, and have a more neutral headphone at the end of the day.

>Sennheiser master race.
>tries to create better headphones
>they sound more like Beyerdynamic headphones than anything else
Uh, either they only got it right once or they don't think think HD600 is ideal.

So i need advice. I broke my bayerdynamics 770 and i need new headphones around same cost, but not bayer, wanna try something new, any advice?

>myriad of build quality issues
TWO
RIGHT
CUPS

Ath-msr7 if you're willing to spend a little more. They're god tier.

>No, sennheisers are shit because there's one thing you cant fix with equalization and that's massive dips in response like the sennheisers bass response.
That's not a dip retard, it's a roll off due a characteristic of the open dynamic design. EQing the bass to flat and above flat doesn't result in any audible distortion. And it's the same for many other headphones that aren't Sennheisers, like DT880, K702 (once sealed properly), SHP9500, etc.
>Then, if you try to equalize the recessed highs of the hd600s, the distortion goes up in those regions too. Not as much as the bass, but definitely to the point of audibility.
What the fuck am I reading here? Do you have an actual argument or just some retard-tier claims about muh distortion?

>later acknowledges that said headphone is flawed
>released less flawed version of said headphone
>it's still shit

The only good Senns are the open backed 5xx and 6xx series.

Thanks! I will consider it, i don't know yet how much money i can waste. Any more advice?

>roll off due a characteristic of the open dynamic design
>less bass than "DT880, K702 (once sealed properly), SHP9500, etc."

>only good Senns are the open backed 5xx and 6xx series
Only got it right once, got it.

>characteristic of open back
He-400i, monoprice m1060, akg open back offerings don't have any bass roll off as severe as the meme600s
The rest of what you said isn't an argument just some typical "huurr duurrr u r retarded muh distortion isn't real" dribble from sennbabbys.

left and right cup here user. No issues with build, comfort, or sound either.

Just wait a month and your pads will start ripping lol
good luck my dude,

As far as closed back, you could save money and get the m40x or the status audio cb-1.

It's been a month and the pads are perfectly fine. Besides the fact that they're replaceable.

5dB's pretty noticeable :-/

He has being shitposting here for much longer than that you know...

You kinda big ATH fan or they objectively top tier? Thank both saved

There's nothing top tier about audio technica

Then give me advice, i need more variants.

>Uh, either they only got it right once or they don't think think HD600 is ideal.
People lose hearing as they age, particularly affecting the higher frequencies most.
I suspect the engineers are getting old.

HD598 is a meme and not what neutral sounds like.

What does netrual sound like?

Im not a fanboy but the msr7 is impressive in both sound and build quality for the price.

The m40x are a great entry level headphone in general.

for (you)

?

:^) looks like they're in front of the list.

headphonescompared.com/the-best-headphone-brands-from-worst-to-best/

HD598, HD600, ER4SR, MDRV6.

Can I get a non meme answer?

What's a neutral pair of headphones?

Everyone's hearing is different and dependent on a variety of factors, so in all actuality there's no such thing as "true" neutrality.

HD600.

he said a non-meme answer. So not mid centric

HD598 sounds like muffled mess with itss overbloated bass.

It's the closest production headphone along with SRH1440/SRH1840.

Your opinions don't matter.

So it's either the warm side of neutral or the bright side of neutral?

Return the HD598. Get the SHP9500 or HD600 if you want headphones or ER4SR for IEM. I haven't heard the ER4SR personally so take it with a grain of salt.

No shit. It's almost as if deviation from something can go different ways.

>"my opinion"
>extreme bass roll-off
>recessed treble

they're not neutral.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that, just find funny that people won't admit it most of the time.

>extreme
Talk about exaggeration.

How can you say this is "extreme"? Sure it's present, but it's decently extended. Nothing a slight EQ couldn't fix.

Are you really surprised? People here always respont to exaggerations with exaggerations, it's either veiled with no bass or treble rape.

Those gooks must be really bored to measure an Xbox one controller.

0db.co.kr/xe/REVIEW_0DB/71989

Why is there never any love for steelseries siberia headsets in these threads?

They are relatively cheap, provide pretty good sound and, most importantly, are extremely comfortable. You can literally wear them for hours without them feeling uncomfortable at all.
Yeah they look like shit but that doesn't really matter when you only use them when you're on the PC.

This sub hates headsets with a passion.

Nah, the hyper x are reasonably liked here

I never use the mic though. What exactly is so bad about headsets when the mic is retractable?

Their price. They're usually very sub par for the price.

And what about mx50x?

How hard it is to change the pads on the SHP9500? What are my options for new/better pads?

M50x are okay but they're fairly mid-bass heavy and objectively the m40x measure better (and they're cheaper)

>m40x
>extreme bass roll-off + notreble
faggot

Seems like the opposite of what you said. Treble is a little recessed, but the m40x definitely has plenty of bass.

look at that extreme roll-off retard
learn to read graphs

Does anyone still like grado?

too much bass actually. but i dont know what's better for the price and closed.

ComfyGrados.

>when you piss off the Sennheiser shill so bad he becomes autistic.

>schizophrenic samefag accusations
you're fucking bonkers m8

I am building a new computer and I will probably end up going for a new set of open cans so I can still interact with the world around me while playing vidya listening to music and or doing actual rendering work. Seems like the He-400i is getting some attention, is that a better option?

I am also kinda spending too much on the computer so I don't really feel the need to get an amplifier and all that jazz. I like my music but I don't obsess over it that much.

HE-400i is overrated and built poorly.

I would get the HD600 or DT880 for a good do-it-all open headphone.

Thanks! I was thinking about being stupid and getting the razer 7.1 headphone, it just seemed stupid for anything other than games though. And it isn't an open can which annoys me.