Why doesnt Microsoft depreceate Windows and create a new OS based on linux?

Why doesnt Microsoft depreceate Windows and create a new OS based on linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midori_(operating_system)
neowin.net/news/canonical--microsoft-make-azure-tailored-linux-kernel
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/8M6z7_h1PmH4YideoxmCKQ/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They use a modified Linux distro for Azure I think
Their own servers run Linux
They already invested too much on windows and the migration costs would be huge for companies too

>OS based on linux
if they're going to do an *nix based os why would they base it on loonicks when they can go BSD like macOS??

Programs ecosystem. The same reason why windows phone died: no apps.

>deprecating 30+ years of legacy programs and drivers entrenched across businesses and governments
>all because muh microsoft proprietary boogeyman hurr windoze sucks am i cool yet guyz
Grow up and get a job.

Why not a whole new os not 30 year old stuff

I wish they'd keep windows as a legacy system, maybe announce they'll support it until 2040 or whatever but also really focus on a cutting edge OS with all the crust removed, built from the ground up. But they'd need to kidnap some better UI designers because Sanjay and Ramshid can NOT design for shit

This is why ms will die

Linux is getting new every day :)

this t.b.h.
They can just make a translator like apple did when they switched

>Why doesnt Microsoft depreceate Windows
Yes.
>and create a new OS based on linux?
No.

Windows Midori

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midori_(operating_system)

Most of the work remained unreleased.

gpl

They're heading in the right direction. They are going the MacOS route, they don't have to worry about releasing windows 12 or 15 or 20. They can spent the rest of their time refining the system they have and undoing the clusterfuck that they got going below the belt. Someone post that meme of the microsoft employee.
I think windows realized they can't just build an entire new OS, so they made the system they have their final version and the future is just upgrading the code.

>Grow up and get a job.
Plenty of jobs where you don't have to use Windows, especially for software developers.

>Depreceate

It's almost as bad as the copucate guy

>Grow up and get a job.
that's actually something windows users are the worst at

>implying they aren't

neowin.net/news/canonical--microsoft-make-azure-tailored-linux-kernel

Why are there so many diversity hires for CEO these days? Maybe because its merely a figurehead position it doesn't matter who it is.

They mostly run win server, moved to 2k16 recently

Msft insider

To lure in more cheap H1B slaves, creating the illusion that they can rise up in the ranks.

What benefit does running Windows OS have over running Linux in an environment like that?

Also, shouldn't you be asleep?

MS can barely keep windows 10 ducktaped together, at this point windows is on life support.

they've already evacuating Office and .net and currently bracing for impact of declining sales

It does the needful more sir

they do, look up wsl
but they will only switch to superior tech once they milked '''enterprise''' dry. Then it does not matter from which OS you access office365

>MS is platinum partner in the linux foundation btw

NT kernel is better and has subsystems that make it far more flexible while Linux kernel is a monolithic mess that continues to bloat with massive parts of it being left to rot and technically impossible to make some improvements to it leaving only a complete rewrite the only method to achieve some things.

So being gay gets you a job?

like 99% of the linux kernel are drivers, also it gets rewritten and improved all the time, same as NT.

I'm not even a Linux fan, but at least do some research

The real question is: Why is Linux kernel so complete.

It can transform to basically any platform on the planet. From desktops to mobile devices, from toasters to TVs, from space shuttle to self driving car.

Why is it so versatile?

most kernels are highly portable, it's not a loonix exclusive thing

it helps that it can be configured/patched/modified to suit any purpose by anyone, then those changes can be merged into upstream (the "main" distribution)
it's not just one group with a specific purpose making it

NT is probably very portable, but it's unsupported on most platforms because it's controlled solely by one group, who only make ports that suit them
it's not that NT isn't portable, it's that it simply won't be ported to many things, since microsoft doesn't benefit from doing so

another big factor is the amount of options you have for userspace
you can use a small set of small programs to build a linux-based router with 8MB of ROM pretty easily, but you can't do the same with windows, even though the windows kernel alone can fit in that space (last i checked)

the only benefit of linux is that it's free. it's their own product so for them it's free to run windows server.

that would be an mature move. and good for the marked

Because MS is too incompentent to do something like apple did with the XNU kernel.

linux is a hobby OS, you'll use it on your server because it's free. Win32 is important for gaymen development and an alternative does not exist in linux.

retard

Like Redox OS?

>Microkernel
Try again.

The Linux kernel fucking sucks. The NT kernel is the best thing about Windows.

And yet is years behind, nice try freetard

Him and the pajeets they have hired are the reason.
They have no programmers of any worth in their OS division.
All of them left or got fired.
They hired a few Linux devs, but that's about it.
This is why W10 is such a fucking disaster.

Basically this. From their perspective, it'd be better to base it on BSD and keep it closed source than to build it on Linux and have it open source or some bizarre open/closed hybrid setup.

And they wouldn't even need to break their precious backwards compatibility; they'd just need to implement a compatibility layer like MacOS did, except MS wouldn't drop it after a while.

yes. lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On the linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that the linux does not have. You have those two buttons in the linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

They are already migrating OP. You can already run some Linux commands on powershell

I gotta disagree, when I use Windows I feel like someone else is calling all the shots of what I can and can't do, but in Linux it's all the way I want it.

With Wodpress you can just put a plugin in a folder and then you can activate and deactivate it.
Or you put a theme in a folder and then you can activate and deactivate it.
Or edit it.

Why cant Windows?

unless you want to use software or play games...

Porting the NT kernel requires writing a new HAL.
It was designed to be decently portable from the start, after all (see: the Alpha port). It was also one of the many reasons why 9x had to go.

NT kernel is based on monolithic design too

No sane person would use linux as rtos. Also pretty bloated for some use case.
>most kernels
Opinion discarded.

>what is Microsoft being part of the Linux Foundation
>what is EMBRACE, EXTEND, EXTINGUISH
SOON

GNU/Linux has plenty of software and games.

Have you at least tried using an OS instead of automated uknown scripts running it for you?

BSD is a saner, nicer and just all over better starting point IMHO.
PS: I am a linux user.

C'mon, man. Stop being new.
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/8M6z7_h1PmH4YideoxmCKQ/

I fucking wish, but they would be alienating the entire business ecosystem around NT. It's pretty obvious they've started running out of ideas though. The fact they want windows to be based around *nix but can't have it. Pretty sad.

It just becomes more and more ducked taped and fragmented each year. Nothing should be more of an indication that something has gone horribly, horribly, wrong than the two entirely separate control panels built into windows 10.

>UI designers

Fuck off, m8.

As long as the UI is customizable, it doesn't matter. Stability, performance, and compatbility are the only real criteria for an OS. Everything else belongs on deviantart/tumblr.

Fuck you and your prissy assed UI bullshit.

B-but windows command line sucks

They are rewriting things of the old control panel slowly like monkeys

LOL the absolute state of windows is baffling

Why would someone ever stop using Linux, when Linux is obviously “better” right? The fact is, Linux hasn’t really matured in 5 years. Debian (and it’s illegitimate child, Ubuntu), is a major distro, but still there are no good remote/central management or instrumentation tools, file system ACLs are kludgy and not enabled by default, single-sign-on and integrated authentication is non-existent or randomly implemented, distros still can’t agree on fundamental things like how to configure the network. It’s basically a mess and I got tired of battling with it.

The Windows ecosystem would be in a much better shape today if Microsoft hadn't underestimated the mobile market back in 2007. It's all thanks to Ballmer.

Sources for this?

Praise Ballmer