Honestly it was perfect

Honestly it was perfect

Other urls found in this thread:

dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It was undoubtedly the best version of windows ever made, I still use it in a VM to run some legacy software

it was pretty good. but I don't like the changes they made to the office assistant. I think was the version they replaced powerpup with the regular cape-less dog.

Of course we know the status of helper agents like office assistant in the modern world (Cortana, Siri). They fucking completely blow.

Fuck off, Steven

Honestly it's a bitch to find hotfixes for, soon they will vanish forever except from car boot sales in Wales.

Honestly it was slow as fuck, comfy UI tho

Ah yes i remember running Windows 2000 for the first time after using Windows 98 for years. It was installed on a computer with Rambus RIMM memory, it was so fast and stable, only download was basically a lot of applications or games didnt work (not NT compatible).

Im still using it as a daily.

I hated xp , so I used 2000 for years.

It was.

But XP was more perfect.

owo

but DWM was introduced in vista

ok

OwO

Are you being ironic?

XP had better architecture for security (DEP/NX bit, firewall)
XP loads a little faster (can load drivers in parallel, while 2000 did them sequentially)
XP has too many services (svchost) for shit we don't know what they're for (that's taken to a new level in later versions, but I digress)
the one thing I really hate in XP is activation. especially since I break it (on purpose) and reformat very often.
icon spacing is more logical in 2000. tiles view is an ABOMINATION on XP
I always felt 2000's achilles heel was the media preview. too dangerous. preview a corrupt AVI or with an unstable codec and it'll crash explorer. it previewed freaking web pages!!! as in windows explorer does a direct connection to the internet! what were they thinking? (bill gates was a big proponent of web desktop, so I wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in this). can be disabled by tweaking some htt files in the winnt\web folder.
luna is for babies
common tasks is for babies
XP had better games support (audio on duke nukem 3D for example)
classic search rocks. the dog is annoying. you can switch to classic search with tweakUI though

both lack ASLR (address space layout randomization)

Thanks for the info on the media preview portion. I never heard of that before, and I used to work with 2000 server when I was in highschool.

that's the thing that really stuck out when you switched to 2000 from 9x. it didn't crash every few hours, and if a program did crash, it didn't bring the whole system down with it requiring a reboot.

i want to go back :/

installed windows 2000 on old pc cause i needed to use parallel port. internet explorer 6 is really bad, can't even manage to download another browser with it, most webservers now give an actual http error code if they detect ie6, and the tls version used now on 99% of sites is completely incompatible so pages will not load at all. couldn't even transfer files with a thumbdrive since they aren't supported by windows 2000. ended up installing windows xp.

/me sucks dick

this
i only used xp cause i was later forced to by stupid driver shit

Based

Gib theme now

You done fucked up. Windows 2000 (since sp4 at least) supports usb storage.

kill yourself, chid molester

why doesn't newer version of windows have a progress bar during boot?

as far as nt5.x goes, i'd recommend 2003 server, perhaps with the registry modification to make it act as if it was xp if you have programs complain about it being a server edition (at the cost of breaking server-only programs)

>couldn't even transfer files with a thumbdrive since they aren't supported by windows 2000.
it just didn't have a generic usb mass storage driver by default initially
not a very good reason considering you could install such a driver easily

Too perfect, it had to die.

Didn't want to have two items and there was a need to restore the ability to see if the system had crashed via an animation.

Too bad they hadn't worked out vista style status bars yet.

it was a fucking game changer. Until then the only kind of stability little old 13 year old me knew was from fucking around with Slackware from discs on the cover of Linux Format magazine.

Installing it tonight on my TC4400
Based HP made drivers for it

Windows 2000 is the best OS Microsoft ever made

Once you install this it becomes perfect: dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color/