Hey son, wanna watch that movie with me?

>hey son, wanna watch that movie with me?
>s-sure dad.. i-it'll be between 30 minutes and 4 hours d-depending on the seed/leech ratio
>j-just d-download the plex app on the smart TV
>I'll show you h-how to forward the ports

Other urls found in this thread:

mashable.com/2015/08/24/remembering-windows-95-launch/#GU090ufrmiq6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>hey son, want to watch a movie with me?
>turn on tv
>the same movie as yesterday is on
>but you don't get to see it yet because there are 20 minutes worth of commercials on

Implying my father can't torrent
Implying my father uses dlnashit on smart tv instead of proper filesystem-based protocols on htpc

Also >30 minutes for a movie
What the fuck kind of third world connection you have?

>download in sequential order
>stream torrent immediately in much higher quality and no DRM
learn how to operate you fucking nigger nigger

My dad could torrent if he wanted, I know he knows how, but he unironically uses Netflix and *shudder* payperview

Also, funny, you must have nigger tier internet, because movies for me download in less than 10 minutes, and I’m talking bluray rips and shit. God it must suck being a peasant with less than 150Mbps dl

Pack it in boys.

I taught my dad to pirate only x264 1080p movies through a VPN. Currently teaching him how to wardrive.

What'd you teach your dad, Sup Forums?

Why do you have to forward ports?

Hold on, the shared folder isn't appearing on the network. I have to reboot the server.

>d-depending on the seed/leech ratio

>having shit upload in 2017

Sure dad, just let me connect my Thinkpad to the TV and we can use it to stream Chinese cartoons... oh wait, it looks like pacman broke something... hmm... looks like xorg.conf is misconfigured again... give me an hour or two and I'll fix it...

*4 hours later*

Hehehe sorry for the wait dad now I can finally start X... oh, it looks like using your TV would require running nonfree code on my Thinkpad... hell no I'm going to do that!! Bye dad!!

This is so fucking stupid. You can literally sequentially download torrents and stream the movie. Just get those shitty 1080p rips, he can't even tell the difference anyway.

Three clicks and I now own the movie. Let's fire up the Roku.
>The benefits of not being a NEET

You don't even need that anymore now. Most new tvs come with miracast.

>movie is edited down to fit within timeslot.
>Cuss words bleeped out.
>Aspect ratio bizarrely changed and characters heads go off the screen. black bars on the sides
>"HD" resolution with compression artifacts to the point it looks worse than SD.

I think it might be time to get a new TV. I currently have a 42" LG that cost like $1000 at the time and a DLP that was $3k for a 1080i screen.

Fucking hell man, you gotta be more patient and wait for big discount holidays like black friday.

>tfw dad clings to ancient hardware and software and is clueless as fuck but knows just enough about tech to get himself into all kinds of trouble that you constantly have to try to bail him out of
>tfw I spent almost an hour yesterday copying 30mb of crap off about 50 3.5" floppies my dad had in a box from god knows when that he didn't know if he had copied the shit off and for god knows what reason I've still got an old shitbox that has a working floppy drive
>tfw just glad I finally got him to stop installing this fucking ancient copy of WordPerfect Office from 1999 on his new desktop

no you fucking idiot

The DLP was circa 2003, the LG was circa 2008. Prices have dropped a lot over the last 15 years.

Fuck, time really does fly. I graduated HS in 2008.

Next thing you know we'll be in hospital beds begging the doc to OD us with a morphine injection.

Tell me about it, my 20 year reunion is this year

HAHAHAHA I SUCK COCKS HAHAHA SUCKING COCKS IS MY FAVOURITE THING HAHAHAHA WOW PLEASE GIVE ME COCKS TO SUCK PLEASE FILL MY MOUTH WITH PENOR HAHAHAHA

mashable.com/2015/08/24/remembering-windows-95-launch/#GU090ufrmiq6
>tfw apple is the new microsoft

this

dude teach him about virtual machines and let him play with windows 98

>tfw had a single mother
>tfw didnt experience male bonding normally

>use WebTorrent for immediate torrent streaming

>tfw microsoft is now the new apple trying to scam people with their surface garbage

>tfw watching camrips with my based mom

>open Popcorn Time
>search for the movie
>stream it immediately
kek downloadfags are so dumb

>put movie on flash drive
>stick in tv's usb port
>save the time having to get plex set up

i've been actually looking for something like that. Is that basically finding some movie torrent, but I don't want to actually download it, so I use that website to stream that movie from the torrent?

Time to move onto x265

it's like pop vs imap, and like any sensible hoarder, I prefer pop. popcorntime is not reliable, neither is your internet connection.

>here's a $40 Android box dad, I installed a thing on it called Android TV
>just use this remote and that Kodi program there to get everything for free

this is gore, dont write things like this again

You can't watch anything without downloading it. Streaming is basically downloading things temporarily, until you close the streaming source.
WebTorrent is a torrent client + media player hybrid which downloads the torrent film and plays it almost immediately since it downloads the file sequentially (as in the first parts are downloaded first). You're free to delete the video after you've watched it. There's even an auto-delete option afaik.

I only used the desktop app. So I don't know how their browser version works but I assume it's the same shit.

Why should I use this over Popcorn Time?

It's the same thing, so you shouldn't

>he still has a relationship with his father
Jesus fuck, you're getting paternally cucked.

Same

He uses Netflix AND torrent for things that are not on Netflix.

I just can't touch Netflix, it is pure filth.

>shitty audio
>shitty bitrate
>no custom filters

It's like you enjoy being an illiterate normie or something.

>sure, what movie?
>[movie], son
>downloads almost instantly to my 10Gb/s dedi
>stream it
wew

>DirecTV literally let's you rent movies for $1 per day, keep it in DVR legally

>contribute to the economy like a functional member of society

Letting cable companies die is a bigger contribution to society you fuck.

>killing companies that provide 1000s of jobs is contributing to society. down with capitalism xd !
college leftist spotted

I just bought a PPV movie in your honor user.

Wow, you sure showed me.
Now let's outlaw refrigerators so those poor ice truck drivers can get their jobs back :(

>He doesn't get ice delivered.

>not being a hoarder
"hey son, wanna watch a movie with me?"
"sure dad, there's about a thousand in the network share, pick one you like"

>hoarder
>a thousand

Just asked him and he said "you taught me that having kids was a mistake" what did he mean by this?

"What's up with all the gook shit on your computer?"
"What the hell is 「中出しの喜び」

Oh yeah I know theres still the file to actually download, just was curious on the other part. That's cool you can delete it right afterwards, might just use that from now on.

>sure dad search netflix for what you want on the TV
like a normal person

Netflix doesn't have a big library of movies. What if it isn't there?

> sorry the movie selection on netflix is so fucking garbage, dad

how

>i paid the neighbor kid $40 to put that kobe or whatever on the amazon
>now i can watch handicam recordings of all the movies
>and the ISP called me about something with service attacks on Indonesian banks?

I would recommend not auto-deleting, keep the torrents alive!

actually op it's more like

>sure, it was just on netflix, let's fire it up
>search using smart tv
>it's not there because their contract with the distributor ended last month
>try on hulu, amazon prime, youtube, not there either
>it's on some new service that doesn't have an app for the particular smart tv we have
>sign up for a free trial anyway, need to remember to cancel it in 30 days before they bill me 30 bucks for a service i'm not going to use more than this once
>try plugging my computer into the tv, the app still doesn't work because the DRM is broken in every browser i try
>go to the only video store in town that's still in business
>they have one copy on bluray and it's out for rent and we don't have a bluray player anyway
>we briefly discuss buying a $10 dvd on amazon and decide against it because it's not worth waiting for it to ship
>decide to watch a dvd we already own that we haven't seen yet
>our set-top dvd player is broken
>plug one of my old linux boxes with kodi installed into the tv
>quickly install the dvdcss package which proceeds to warn me several times about how watching dvds that i legally own on my own computer could potentially be illegal based on copyright laws of certain countries
>sigh and laugh because we live in a nightmare hellscape

seriously wtf is going with media these days, it's like all these companies are run by retards

If I didn't have the movie already then I'd just use usenet to watch it as it downloads.

>providing "jobs" is so important that we should keep these shit companies alive because of it, even if those jobs are useless and garbage and the company sucks
i believe it is you who is the communist user, forcing people into meaningless work is slavery

I have my DVD collection ripped onto my NAS and a old computer with libreelec hooked up to the TV. All I gotta do is turn that thing on.

Copyright law is totally fucked and only written to benefit Hollywood.

sure dad, let's just turn on the TV, select kodi as the source and play the movie from my local collection

A:10
V:10

>sure, dad
>goes to VIP theater with mom and sis because we're not poorfags

In Russia it's written to benefit Mikhalkov.
The fucktard even set "anti-piracy" tax on any and all consumer media storage devices. Because obviously the only ever reason to buy empty storage is to store pirated content.

>tfw dad has me pirating dadrock in HiFi all day just for him

Custom filters?

>download movie in ~5 minutes, 1080p x265
>plug in laptop to TV's HDMI
>open up movie
>double click on media player

Because, obviously, paying a tax will inhibit you from storing pirated content in that device.

Not only in Russia. Sweden gives to Copyswede, not even the government. $30 on smartphones, more on hard drives. There's also the "environmental tax" which even applies to environmentally certified electronics.

sure, just switch over to the hdmi channel the rpi is on, and pick what you want to watch using the tv remote

>they also speed the play speed up in parts as well as completely removing scenes.

did you get fucked up at all?

Jesus dude I just bought the 55 inch 2017 4k lgtv for 200 dollars on craigslist.

HDR good black levels low input lag. Ypu got fucked.

>downloading anything but full blu-ray images

my dude. i thought maybe i was the only curmudgeon living in the past. pop 4life

>implying netflix is better
>im the fuck
dumbass

accurate

I never said anything about netflix.
You are a fuck. You fuck.

Why isn't everyone just using Kodi?

Because WebTorrent exists desu.

Did you forget where you were? This is Sup Forumsuro

>he's not on admit.me

My parents were never exposed to Netflix. Us kids were getting them movies since before Netflix was really a big thing. They also used to get movies from redbox and then rip them, copy them, and even print labels for the copies and store them in a binder. They still ask for movies sometimes, coming over with a flash drive with a sticky note on it with what they want.

wow that's really sad. I hope he was joking

Kodi sucks. I prefer to just use mpv. I keep a few playlists (anime.m3u, youtube.m3u, etc.) that I update with vim and then I just open them in mpv. I gave Kodi a shot, but every database I tried used shitty names for anime, and it was just irritating to look at and navigate.

>having to go through ALL THAT BULLSHIT just to try to watch a movie that you'll never seen again
>and then you have to SEED IT aka share your discovery to the other world like a cuck
you faggots might as well keep the door open so other bums can eat your food and use your showers

>ALL THAT BULLSHIT
You mean just going to the site and downloading?
>SEED IT
You mean just leaving it there?
Wow what a hassle

tell him he's a fag

peasant? really?

My 100/100mbit is about $40/month. 1gb/1gb is $90 or something like that.

I can afford that extra $50 per month or $600 per year - but I see it as a complete waste of money. I had to wait for things back in the days of 8mbit downstream ADSL. These days it's just things that are poorly seeded which doesn't give me full speed that's a problem, if I only get 3mbit from the sources then a faster pipe wouldn't help, now would it. If I do get full speed then a movie's done in a few minutes.

Why the f... would I want something faster? 15mbit would be sad but I honestly can't say I see any reason to get 150mbit or faster instead of just having 100.

>you faggots might as well keep the door open so other bums can eat your food and use your showers
t. bum who eats other people's food and uses their showers, aka, leeches torrents, according to you