Your internet connection's last mile

What tech does Sup Forums's ISP use?

strawpoll.me/14012398

(Me)
Of course, if you choose "Other", please comment. I want to know what I've missed.

Sorry for bumping, here is my insurance number

I don't understand a word on that poll

Describe your internet connection and I'll advise which option applies.

Most people don't even know what a node is let alone whether or not they have fiber coming from it.

I use a copper connection. What would that be?

>tfw don't have cheap, symmetrical gigabit internet in my city because of fucking Democrats and their bullshit regulations
No regulations = free market = better environment for the consumer and producer.

I expect (hope) that Sup Forums is more knowledgable about computer networking than most people. At least far enough to know what kind of internet they have.

Nope.

There are lots of types of copper connection. The jack going to your modem- does it look like this?

Another ISP[1] made a fiber connection for my street and my contract with my ISP[2] got updated to a better connection.
I dont now if my ISP[2] rents the same fiber or rents the old fiber of ISP[1] to use VDSL.
i had a 6K connection and now i pay for a 50k download (40k measured) with 10k upload.

comcast in a new neighberhood so im guessing hfc

nvm u mean ,,last mile"
yes its copper

FTTH

GPON

Being upgraded to NG-PON2 at some point over the next few years.

I'm in a blue state that has been blue for decades, in a VERY liberal county.

$70/month gigabit fiber.

GPON or PTP? As a rough rule of thumb, if the jack connecting the fibre to your modem is blue, you probably have PTP. If it's green, probably GPON.

Nice! GPON is a great FTTP tech although I'm always slightly skeptical of symmetric gigabit offerings that use it, seeing as 1.25Gbit/s upstream is being split up to 32 ways. Your guaranteed bandwidth is around 80d/40u. It's very flexibly burstable which is why they can sell higher speed plans... but gigabit upstream seems like too high a contention ratio to me.

I'm also on GPON, but I'm a cheapskate who only pays for 80d/20u.

>Your guaranteed bandwidth is around 80d/40u.
lol?

Verizon GPON splits are like 4:1 or 8:1 in gigabit areas.

In older areas it's 16:1 or 32:1. But they're being upgraded.

can anyone confirm?

Depends what speeds they're offering but most likely. It's HFC/DOCSIS the question is how far away it is from the fiber.

It's terminated as an RJ-45 connection interally actually, which goes back to a box on my outside wall. I'm unsure what technology they're using as it's a private 'local neighbourhood' type wholesaler

Point to point gigabit Ethernet most likely

hmmm well I used to be able to get business class speeds when they were on docsis 2

OK, didn't know that- yes that's a much more acceptable ratio for gigabit.

That would be considered "FTTB" in my poll... external termination is a bit of an edge case. Not sure where to draw the line when defining FTTH.

>There's that one person that uses dialup on Sup Forums

I'm surprised there's so much fiber, going by the amount of complaining Sup Forums sometimes sees about shit internet and all.

When the fiber-bro's come out in force the megabit-lets scurry away and hide behind their shitty internet.

Sup Forums is the type who would move for fiber internet. I know I would if i had the money

Probably just did it for the meme

5Ghz wireless ptp from a tower in my backyard.

No idea what any of this shit is.
I live in residential housing (the fancier upperclassmen dorms of course) and get a speed of 260 Mbps over wifi.

Neat! Distance, speed/ping? Price? Worth it overall?

>tfw

So I just did 3 different speed tests:
Fast.com - 260 Mbps down
Speedtest.net - 314.15 Mbps down / 326.08 up
Google's - 31.9 Mbps down / 29.1 up

Why is this

different peering

FTTN, then over copper to my house. Is that VDSL1 or 2? Max speeds of 50/10 down/up...

Wishing for 100+Mbps FTTH someday...

Also if the user's on dialup are still here... how are you guys doing? :(

Botnet free.

Explain how.

Ping times are about 10-15 when speed testing. I get it for free since I'm the wireless network engineer for the isp but our pricing is too high imo. Best package residential package we offer is a 15x2 for $69.95. I have my speed set to unlimited so it's pretty much 100x100Mbps (ethernet port limit on the CPE)

Too slow to hack.

Mine looks like that. What kind am I?

HFC ("Cable"). Hard to say how far you are from the fibre, though.

$30 a fucking month here
I want to die

Guessing you're on DSL and a long way from an exchange? Or (judging by the latency) 2G/weak 3G mobile?

I have fiber (ftth gpon)
But only 25/25 mbps.
Slower than lte on my phone (40/10).

We have this amazing local isp, everything's fiber and I pay $60 a month for gigabit

lmao

at least you have 25 up, jesus christ

It's def fibre of some sort

>3% dial-up
I didnt even know you could still use dial-up.

Then GPON if there is an ONT box on-site that converts fiber to Ethernet.

Most will be >100m to fiber.
Unless you see a box on the power pole the cable will probably go at least 1 km.

Yep, I believe you're correct

>tfw city ISP
>active Ethernet
>selling up to gigabit speeds
>tfw our customers don't know the single uplink is gigabit connected to a single bare metal pfsense pppoe server

If you hope that anyone on Sup Forums has any knowledge at all, you're a Reddit-tier fucking retard and need to kys

Oh there is a box right behind my house. So

so what does actual performance to the customer look like

>active fiber is in second place
Sup Forums is either full or liars or retards

Some of them complain, but as long as they tell us that their wifi is slow (which is all they notice) we don't do anything
also most customers only pay for 100m

I'm on 75/75 Verizon FiOS. I have an ONT in my garage and a coaxial cable from the ONT to the router/modem in my living room. I was told by the installed that there is fiber run in the street which branches off to my ONT. I don't know how to answer the straw poll but here's a pic of my speedtest.

Dang WiMAX isn't on the menu. Or Wibro

GPON (on the poll it's xPON)

FiOS offers 1gbps for $70/month now by the way.

Only for new customers. For everyone else it's at least $140/month. Telecoms in the US get enjoyment out of fucking over their customers.

Until 2 months ago all you had to do was tell them you were moving to a new address and then enter your current address and it would give new customer pricing no questions asked.

They fixed the loophole as far as I am aware though. But it's how I went from 150/150mbps for $140/month to 1gbps for $70.

They only started offering the gigabit tier here a month ago.

Please refrain from posting politics on Sup Forums you are just going to cause a shit storm.

Just really long cat5 runs p much.

Fair enough, there have still been people having luck switching to gigabit by calling in to negotiate

I saw someone call in, ask to move from 75/75 + TV + phone to JUST gigabit internet, telling the verizon rep they didn't want phone and TV anymore they just wanted internet. Verizon rep said just gigabit for existing customers is $130/month and since your current contract isn't up yet we'll waive the termination fee and allow you to get gigabit with no fees.

A week later they added TV and phone back onto their plan lowering it from $130/month to $95/month. Since the TV and phone packaged with gigabit provides a discount bringing it down to $95/month.

This way he avoided paying any ETF for changing contract, and still is getting gigabit for under $100/month. Not as good as $70/month, but still better than $130/month.

A completely unregulated market is just as bad as legislatively enforced monopolies.

Could it possibly be that we should regulate to encourage competition instead of dogmatic and protectionist bullshit?

This is what a free market would look like.