/calc/

Calculator thread

reverse polish notation edition

represent

Clive would not be proud of us today

TI-89 reporting in. The (symbolic) computer algebra system was glorious, made homework quicker, and got me into my current PhD in statistics without the coursework that would ordinarily be required since I was able to take a few internet classes pass placement tests after a ton of self-study. Wolfram/Mathematica does it all now for n00bs, and R/Python/Matlab do the floating point stuff but machine changed my life. It lasted 10 years and was in my bag when my friend us in his car at 60mph/100kmph.

There were some decent Gameboy clones like Bomberman and some old DOS clones like Drug Wars. You could also export your graphs so if you got bored in class and made boobs/dicks/artwork you could share the parametric equations that generated it. This was possible (but very time consuming) for 3D models as well.

>Calculators in current year
You all do have smart phones, right? Or just trying to be patrician faggots?

I still use my calculator over my phone or ipad because it is faster.

>touchscreen

I'm a simple man.

>t. gen Z
This is an instance where a dedicated tool is better for the job.

I have two TI-30x but I can't find either of them. One is my own and the other I stole from school over 10 years ago.

TI-84 got me though trig and calculus cuz it was the standard. We weren't allowed to use the newer graphing calculators.

TI-36x Pro is my favorite. We went through the first two years of physics together.

RPN is the only way to go. Only downside is I have to switch it to algebraic mode whenever someone needs to borrow it at work since nobody can be bothered to take the 30 seconds to learn.

HP 50G and HP 12C represent.

Sharp EL-W516XBSL very aesthetic

My smart watch.

The change button makes it the best scientific calculator ever. Also unlike shitty TI calculators there is a fraction button

Best calculator.
Best colour.

sup fags

Britfag here. Literally never seen a Texas Instruments device that wasn't some super-high-tech research-grade measurement thing in my uni labs. Do they not export the calculators outside the US? We mostly used Casios like (though almost always in navy blue).

>he needs a calculator to do math
Brainlets all of you.

Anyone noticed that AliExpress etc. have a load of really cheap HP 39g's, not a 50g but the hardware is almost the same.

Some of us are in school mate, and this is what gets allowed in exams. It's usually quicker and faster than a phone depending on what you're doing.

Also not learning to use one quickly and efficiently (ie. using wolfram alpha) = all your time wasted in the exam trying to figure out how the fucking calculator works.

Best scientific calculator hands down. No other calculator in this range comes close. Shits fast af.

idk. Texas Instrument calculators are really common in Canada. What are you guys normally using?

Used in blue for most of secondary school and pic related for sixth form (last two years before uni).

Honestly, it doesn't really matter what we used. All that was necessary besides basic arithmetic was graphing, stats stuff, and potentially some matrix functions if you were studying at that level.

Since uni I've just used Wolfram Alpha for everything.

>fraction button
>It's too difficult to do *x/y

It doesn't matter much which calculator you use here too, but the big punch in the face is that Texas Instruments has contracts and deals with schools and publishers. Some text books will have step-by-step instructions on how to replicate an equation or graph and it will be unique to the calculator the publisher used. TI also provides workshops for instructors and teachers teaching them how to use a calculator so that they parrot it back to their students.

You can use a different calculator but if you can't replicate or do something a problem calls for, and you ask the teacher for guidance, they'll be like "lol i don't know how to use that calculator" .. thus we all end up using TI.