So Sup Forums

So Sup Forums

what's been your experience with these new Not Very Much Energy drives? Worth it to upgrade over SATA ssd?

Other urls found in this thread:

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-280-vs-Intel-HD-630-Desktop-Kaby-Lake/m8413vsm178724
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

if you do a lot of video editing, mess around with compacted files, mess around with virtual machines it really helps, for most other stuff it's worthless though

do they "break down" as fast as SSDs?

SSDs don't break down fast. in an endurance test a few years ago a bunch of 256 GB SSDs started to show wear and relocate sectors after about 1 petabyte written.

the write endurance on high end ssds (both sata and nvme) are extremely good and are even better the larger storage capacity they have, on normal usage you'll never see an ssd breaking from the amount of writes/rewrites you've done, the other parts could break, like controllers, etc, but on good brands these things have good build quality and will last long too, just not as long as the nand cells

awesome thanks

I have 3 computers at office caching and trashing everyday with cad and illustrator along other shit. They're i5 2500 era so like 6 (?) years old and all their ssds are still perfectly healthy. Thinl they are crucial M4.

The one on my home pc doesn't even have 1/10th of that use time so I think they're pretty alright.

I have that exact same model and size. They are indeed fast as fuck.

I use virtual machines with SQL server databases and I definitely notice a difference.
Your BIOS boot time may be worse though, depending on the board.

Worth - No. I didn't feel any difference except better benchmark. Transfer rates are irrelevant because my slow SATA SSDs bottleneck.

Its a nice form factor and I'll somewhen get another one to make use of the fast transfers for video editing. If you don't mind the extra costs, its a nice small form factor and you don't need cables and plugs anymore. This is the connection type of the future.

In 10 years we will have the power of a 1080ti in a .m2 size connection.

The future is glorious.

Been using Intel 600p (1500/700) m.2 and I don't really notice any difference compared to my old 400/400 sata SSD (web and games). Form factor is nice and used m.2's cost less than satas because people don't use them as much. Paid 65€ for my 256GB 600p.

I prefer 2.5" SATA SSDs because they're less fragile physically, and more comfy to handle. I can just toss them in a drawer

Why? You just return them into their package if you don't use them.
In 10 years the power of a 1080 Ti doesn't matter anymore. Imagine, we have the power of 2009s high end graphics card inside a processors integrated graphics now.

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-280-vs-Intel-HD-630-Desktop-Kaby-Lake/m8413vsm178724

>gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-280-vs-Intel-HD-630-Desktop-Kaby-Lake/m8413vsm178724

>muh games

Try OpenCL or CUDA applications.

I have one. Great little device and should be everyone's boot drive.

I use one as a boot drive and I really like it.

I mostly like how it takes up virtually no extra space in the pc case, with no extra cables connecting it. Its fast and all but I like how my computer can boot from a tiny drive buried underneath my gpu. I also got the pcie 500gb samsung evo drive, more than enough storage for a boot drive, and once its installed its invisible.

I've always preferred to keep other "internal" drives external and loose, stored in plastic cases, and dropped into a usb3 sata dock when I want to use them

I had the 250gb model of pic releated.
It stopped showing up in the bios after a powerfault.
Since then I am using my old 60 ocz agillity 3 ssd until I get enough neet money again.

I think userbenchmark is a nice overall benchmark. Also consumer graphics cards are mostly used for games (Otherwise they would be called computing cards).

A current iGP offers a similar performance as a 10 year old enthusiast card with a TDP under 10 W.

I always check the specifications for protection against power outages. Some of the cheap ssd are poorly protected. Samsung should be ok though.

They are SSDs dipshit

>Not Very Much Energy drive
What planet have I arrived in?

>stacked memery heats up like a brick in the desert sun
No thanks I'll wait for some crazy advanced production tech to alleviate those issues.

I have the 500GB 960 EVO. Microcenter had them on sale for $125 a while ago. I do a lot of video encoding as well as video editing. For doing 1080p in bulk or 4k, it's night and day compared to a mechanical drive.

Anything else on it, i.e. gaming, or even as a boot drive is a complete and utter waste compared to a standard SATA based SSD.

not worth

obtained one in your pic 500gb, cant say i feel any difference from my old samsung 830 256gb

I put a Crucial 512 m.2 in my gaming pc when I built it last year. Works fine. Super easy to install and forget about. I can't speak for speeds because I've been using SSDs long enough to take them for granted.

I will say that after using the one I have, I'll never go back to SATA SSDs for boot drives if I can help it.

Depends on what you're using the drive for. If you can't tell the difference from an 830 to 960 series, its apparent you're not using that drive for it's intended purpose.

They're great. Lets cases get smaller and more well designed because you don't have to have drive bays.

im using it for OS and games
transfer some files, copy some files

atleast i load first on overwatch so i can pick hero first, so atleast i paid for that

>OS and games
See
Those are 2 of the things that have almost no difference compared to a SATA SSD. But eh, you're right. The game loads times are nice. Especially for very large lobbies in multiplayer. Like 64 people in BF4

You want a u.2 drive then. M.2 is currently popular because manufacturers are putting them in laptops(where the form factor is actually important) to attract normies even though they're pointless for them. Once common applications really start benefiting from them you'll see motherboards with 4+ u.2 connectors so you can have fast throttlefree storage.

960 Pro 1TB user here. Windows 10 boots faster than it takes to post. Which is not that much of an accomplishment given my post takes forever, but still. 3GB/s read and write are fucking nice. NVMe is the future. M.2 on the other hand is shit. Hard to remove for trouble shooting. I should have bought a PCIe card for my SSD instead of falling for the small form factor meme.

>purchases NVMe SSD
>doesn't already have a UPS

Are you retarded?

>not putting your own heat sinks on

Get the fuck out.

>remove warranty sticker
good idea!

960 EVO 500GB NVMe user here. I have another SSD, SATA SanDisk. I actually don't feel much difference between those two in the daily environment, the boot time may be faster but it doesn't impact on the overall experience.

>Super Speedy Disk
>Not Very Much energy
Take a pick

>install m2 drive
>do some copying for a few minutes
>shit starts to overheat
>smoke, smoke everywhere

thank you

I have a pre-NVMe M.2 SSD. It wasn't worth it.

What is a pre-NVMe SSD? A normal mSATA one? They are the same speed at a smaller form factor.
Compared to HDDs they draw very little power.

>Compared to HDDs they draw very little power.
Read my post again, very carefully.