/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/394395/problems-dual-booting-antergos-w-luks-lvm2-partitioning
debian.org/security/faq#unstable
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/brave-apt/keys.asc
s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/brave-apt
packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-apps/dog
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_Dual_boot_with_Windows_7/8
gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/woman.html
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/notify-osd/ bug/390508
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1178
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Install void

What is the advantage of void over other distros?

Someone please help me, I've been over this for days now and nobody answers me.

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/394395/problems-dual-booting-antergos-w-luks-lvm2-partitioning

debian.org/security/faq#unstable

Does anyone know how I can enable horizontal scrolling? I've been using synclient HorizTwoFingerScroll=1 but it seems like it turns off every time I shut down. I'm using DeepinOS.

Redpill me on systemd.

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html

It's fast, minimal, doesn't have systemd, and is fairly comfy

On the other hand, most of its shit is BSD cuck license

How can I create a device which prints "lmao" when I cat it?
$ cat /dev/ayy
lmao

Which shell is the best one and why is it tcsh?

bump
tcsh vs bash please

bash

Is the comment at the end of the ssh key in authorized_keys optional?

so if I have
ssh-rsa somefuckingkeysaokjdflkashfd comment
ssh-rsa anotherfuckingkeyasdfjasfdkjh
would the 2nd key be okay?

echo "lmao" > /dev/ayy

:^)

How good is fedora 26?

I can't stand how Ubuntu looks and I just want something that works and is minimal.

You can try Ubuntu Gnome otherwise

I like Fedora

I like Debian more though

How many "bleeding edge" packages do you really need and what is apt pinning?

fedora and ubuntu are both corporate cuck distros

arch, debian, gentoo

Kys

>apt pinning
kek i when a was lurkin for 'mixing software vesions' i read that its bad (due to dependencies or other staff).
kek if its pinning is good maybe i shoud not installing Gentoo and stay normie XDDD

I'm using elementary and i followed the brave github page to install it
curl s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/brave-apt/keys.asc | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb [arch=amd64] s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/brave-apt `lsb_release -sc` main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-`lsb_release -sc`.list

But sudo apt update gives the error
Err:9 s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/brave-apt loki Release
403 Forbidden
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 's3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/brave-apt loki Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

I looked that man page but it doesn't have a fix for it

Millions of results online. Pick one.

>403 Forbidden

You can look as much at manpages as you want if you are forbidden to access the site.

just use snapcraft

apt pinning is not bad or rather not WHAT is bad, especially with backports as you should only install the software you need the backport of, not fucking everything from the backports repo. Same with experimental in sid.

How do I fix that?

If there is a cat command, why isn't there a dog command? What if i am more of a dog person?

packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-apps/dog

Cat stands for Concatenate.

Yeah it's retarded, but whatever

How do I prevent Ubuntu from installing a thousand country-specific dictionaries for Firefox? I'd rather keep one for each language, for example I don't want a South African English dictionary or a Dominican English dic.

I've tried System > Preferences > Personal > Languages; it lists the languages but not the varieties. Ditto for Synaptic; and localepurge didn't help at all.

You guys, I just wrote a python script that scrapes weather data and emails me the next couple days forecast each day.

I know it's a little thing, but I finally made something that works. Man, this is freaking cool!

Try removing the firefox-l10n-* packages then manually install the program translation and dicts you need from addons.mozilla.org

Thank you - I'll do that. BRB.

going to buy a full set of drives for my NAS (6x4TB), and use MDADM
is MDADM any better than the old as fuck hardware raid in a dell rackserver from 2009?

So. I tried your approach (remove the system installed files and install manually the ones I want). It looks like the culprit wasn't firefox-l10n-* (I couldn't even find those on apt), but hunspell.

Doing it fixed the issue (pic related), but it opened another - now libreoffice has no dictionary. I guess I'll need to install those manually too.

Thank you!

Can people with different environments post the output of ls -l /proc/your_window_managers_pid/fd?

This is for Openbox. Basically this means that all stdout from the graphical programs is being lost and not logged anywhere? That kinda sucks.

ls -l /proc/509/fd
total 0
lr-x------ 1 dino dino 64 Sep 26 20:55 0 -> /dev/null
l-wx------ 1 dino dino 64 Sep 26 20:55 1 -> /dev/null
l-wx------ 1 dino dino 64 Sep 26 20:55 2 -> /home/dino/.xsession-errors
lrwx------ 1 dino dino 64 Sep 26 20:55 3 -> 'user_inode:[eventfd]'
l-wx------ 1 dino dino 64 Sep 26 20:55 4 -> /home/dino/.cache/openbox/openbox.log
lrwx------ 1 dino dino 64 Sep 26 20:55 5 -> 'socket:[14537]'

If there is a man command why isn't there a woman command?

Try these steps (in a non-flake distro such as debian/arch/gentoo) if you have a uefi board, user. wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_Dual_boot_with_Windows_7/8
You may not agree but personally i think dualbooting is retarded. If you REALLY need W10, why not just apt install virt-manager? Performance is damn near native for any non-toaster PC. Good luck, user.

Thanks for the answer and fuck it, I think I'm going for full disk encryption. Do I have the same performances in games in a VM or should I just stop being a child?

Are there any free services that send SMS messages through a python API? I wouldn't mind paying, but I'd much rather do it for free if that's possible

there's a love command, but it's Sup Forums related so you're still fucked if you're looking to get 3dpd

Misread this. Thought you were trying to spam RMS with messages

Not the same performance without gpu passthrough wizardry + a second monitor. But games are still playable/enjoyable without all of that. Unless you HAVE to, don't virtualbox.

>Unless you HAVE to, don't virtualbox.
Why?

gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/woman.html

It's a slow, bloated piece of shit and hiccups randomly. Try virtualizing a cluster with vbox and see how long you can tolerate the BS. I
So, if your hardware allows it go kvm/viet-manager... it's way faster.

>want to send a notification
>find notify-send
>read manpage
>-t sets expire time
>try it
>doesn't work
>think something broke
>start hating myself for being too stupid for a simple task
>search the web
>bug is 8 years old
>new, new, wountfix, new, new, ...
t-thanks

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/notify-osd/ bug/390508

Oh, you are talking about virtualbox specifically. What software should I use then?

Pic unrelated? GNU/Linux gives you the freedom to choose between many notification systems. You can even switch to a custom notify-osd which supports whatever you want. Personally, I recommend dunst!

Virt-manager. It works with kvm.

So I have an ultrabay drive here, that I barely use and want to have spun down most of the time. I have a udev rule to set it on start and a systemd service to re-set it on wake and all that shit.
It still spins up when I connect a USB device, of all things. and it still spins up on startup.
google's throwing me fuzz.

that's why babby distros suck, people expect linux to just work, but its not designed to just work, then some shit happens they can't fix and instead of fixing it, people complain like usual

Use a different notification program.

Thanks

I use notify-osd with dunst like

Fucking Sourceforge had to go down when I needed to get the latest Filezilla

And why is the latest fucking Filezilla on and Ubuntu PPA totally broken? (3.25)

>notify-osd with dunst
Why would you need two programs that accomplish the same? I doubt you can even get two of them to work at the same time.

Does anyone here run Dropbox in a Xfce environment? On login it automatically starts but tray icon is nowhere to be found. Also, I cannot manually disable auto start. If I delete .desktop file from config it recreates the next login. Auto start in unchecked in Dropbox settings.
It works normally in other DEs.

Hey guys I'm trying to set up debian.

Do I just put down like my name for the hostname?

What the hell do I do for the domain name? Can I leave it blank?

are you retarded?

Hostname is the name of your computer. You can name it something cool, something edgy, or name it after your waifu, etc

Domain is the name of the network it's a part of. If you don't know, you can probably just leave this blank

this

Reminder that everyone in your network will see your hostname, so choose wisly.

Are you? I know that xfce4-notifyd doesn't work with another notification daemon running in the background because it "steals" all its notification messages.

Also something to keep in mind is that the default command prompt in the terminal will be:

username@hostname

So you'll see the name you chose when you're doing command line stuff

tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1178

hostname is easy to change
username is where you should choose wise

Exactly. The risk associated with this is directly related to how normie the people in your network are

>whole network
With wifi enabled, your whole neighbourhood.

If I have sshd set up on one device and I try to connect with sftp from another, should it just werk?
I tried

sftp -p 8022 192.168.1.7
It's termux thats why the port is 8022. Don't hack me pls silly boys.

i put it in xprofile
look at your other startup application stuff

you'll need to supply a username if it's different than your own
name@IP like that

Next time you get a chance man dunst to see how wrong you are. FYI dunst handles notify-send directives just fine.

my laptop screen is broke, I tried to boot it up with a monitor connected and of course I need to install the drivers without seeing anything, fuck my life not gonna replace the screen just gonna save for a new laptop

No, I want to send texts to myself, from my server

cont...
either way I have to save my files so what do I do lads? remove the HD and connect it to another computer?

>drivers for an external monitor
This stuff usually just werks. What drivers does your monitor need to work? You can use a live usb to download them.
>remove and connect to another PC?
Yes. Or boot from a live usb and transfer them to wherever.

>I want to send texts to myself
Aww are you that lonely?

notify-send and notify-osd are different things you idiot.

nah, I just wrote a little program that scrapes weather data, and I wanted it to send a text to me each morning with the forecast. I can do it via email no problem, wanted to see if I could use text instead.

My carrier supports sending email to [email protected] but the format it delivers the messages in is ugly, including all sorts of wrapper text, instead of just the clean forecast output.

I don't know, it's an old ACO LCD monitor model TFT17W80PS. Had to buy a VGA to HDMI converter.

go read the manpages like you were told to, xfcetard.

actually, looks like textbelt will send texts for ~3 cents per message. Freaking gay that I have to pay for them. GVoice used to support sending messages via an api, but not any more. ah well, email it is

>he thinks notify-send and notify-osd are the same

You've been exposed as stupid and now you stick to some ad-hominem attacks.
Kill yourself and stop spreading wrong information on here you retard, but first look up the freedesktop notification specification, notify-send and then various notification daemons which implement that standard (dunst amongst them).

man tac

you're the one who said you cant run two demons at the same time, retard

>he can't get xfce to work with dunst
idk who you think you're talking to but go read the manpages like that other user told you to, manchild.

...you can run tons of daemons at the same time lol, do you know what daemons actually do?

stop trolling you twat

Stop lowercase posting.

>laughinggirls.jpg

I said that they won't work, you retard. Then you insisted that the notify-send implementation to send notification messages is the same as notify-osd which is a notification program that prints received messages.
They will run, but only one of them will get the messages sent over dbus. At least that's the case for xfce4-notifyd with other daemons.

No one mentioned dunst working in xfce you fucking idiot. The point was that having two programs which listen to the freedesktop notification specification messages on dbus don't work together well (or at all) because they accomplish the same task you didiot.

GTK user spotted.

>he thinks the freedesktop notification specification has anything to do with GUI toolkits

Just kill yourself already to stop polluting this thread with your retardation.

You're new is showing.

oh it's worse than that, I use mac os as my daily driver

Hello guys I just got Debian installed and I love the look of it but everything runs so fucking slow.

Like even opening my applications is like a 1.5 second lag before it stutters open.

Any help on reducing this.
I found something on the forums telling me to check the results of
hdparm /dev/hda

But even after installing hdparm it says command hdparm not found when I try to run this.

Any help I don't want to switch back to Ubuntu, but everything ran perfectly with no lag in it.