Processor help

I'm trying to decide on a high end processor, something with a good balance of cores and clock speed.
I'm considering i7-7820X. What's Sup Forums's opinion on that one?

Another option is i7-8700K or R7-1800X.

They all seem roughly comparable in terms of performance, TDP, clock speed, and number of cores.

I'm buying it with company money btw, so price doesn't matter that much.

1800x,but get the one after the week 30 if you wanna compile massive things on Linux

>week 30
what does that mean?
also, 7820 seems to have higher scores on benchmark sites, what makes 1800X better?

cheaper cpu, cheaper mobos, more PCIe Lanes

haha yeah but benchmarks aren't real world usage :)

Intel's HEDT platform is a trainwreck.
>jews you out of features if you don't get the right CPU
>less power efficient than AMD, housefires everywhere
>PCI-e storage DLC
>no ECC memory support
>fewer PCI-e lanes
>dried jizz under heat spreaders
>current flagship CPU has only 15-20% better performance than AMD's flagship for 80% more cost

Is Threadripper 1950X overkill and/or too expensive for your use case? If not, I'd go for that.

I could, but it's on the expensive side and I don't think I'd benefit from all those cores. I have $5000 for pc building and conference travel, so if I spend too much on the computer, I'll have less money for other things

After week 30 of fabrication so if you wanna compile massive things with gcc on Linux you won't get segfaults

If you don't know what's that you're a brainlet so might as well buy Intel

yeah guess I'm brainlet
why does the 30th week matter specifically?

You can get lower end threadrippers like 1920x or 1900x and still get dat nice x399 platform

I got one because of hackintosh. I wish I had a nice threadripper box for the same money ;_;

Someone in another thread said don't bother getting TR unless it's 1950. Have you heard anything about that, or is 1900/1920 still worth getting?

That's when they realised segfaults aren't a feature

you're trolling, right?

1920 is, 1900 not so much, unless you're dying for those lanes.R7 has plenty of lanes, and if you want something in the middle you can always go blue
He's sarcastic, after that week they solved it, but nobody knows how, because either way if it was a hardware or a microcode issue acknowledging it would be a bad pr move. And they don't necessarily have to

how much do PCIe lanes and cache size impact performance?
Are they more important than clock speed and number of cores?

No, not at all, not unless you have like triple sli or other cards which require bandwidth and you have to use them.
I got a 1800x,but also for threadripper the higher speed and low latency improve the performance.

About cache, it's kind of important and not, depending on the task. I personally I'd go for more since i multitask often.
If you just want gaming, go for Intel, at the moment nothing beats the 7700k but at the same time if you play a new you won't really be able to stream it(1080p60f, to give you an example), or it would stay in 100% load 24/7

why dont ARM cpu ???

(are you winfag ??? )

buy an intel processor, earths molten core edition

literally doesn't matter just pick whichever one they will roughly do the same thing at the same speed, 5-10 fps isn't even worth this much thought

he can create dual socked 120core ddr4 with 24PCIe lanes pc for 3k5€

FUCK INTEL AND AMD
grow spine and buy arm