I was just told you could use a USB to turn it into RAM somehow

I was just told you could use a USB to turn it into RAM somehow.
Is this true? If so, why is nobody implementing this into gaming performance videos to help people with abysmal builds?

It's true but it is fucking awful.

where the fuck did you hear that from

technically you can turn anything into anything else but it's on a completely unoptimized bus

Would it harm my computer at all? And is it simple to go back to my regular RAM? I currently have 8GB and would like to test 16GB with my 32GB USB

Do you mean Readyboost which works good on paper but sucked in the real world. And if you ment as RAMusb flash is just fast enough to be used at ram with out introducing a massive bottleneck

You can do this with microSDs on a rooted Android device as well. Also you can use external GPUs on certain laptops.
I imagine it to be like this.
No it wouldn't.

Yeah, my google and youtube searches keep bringing up Readyboost

You would be better off turning a couple gbs into a ram drive move game to said drive and running from there

Sounds like you're talking about putting your swap onto a usb stick. Look up what swap is.

>swap = RAM
ok

No, you basically just put the pagefile on the flash drive. Nowhere near as good as RAM but still better than having the pagefile on a hard disk. Nowadays you're better off having the pagefile on a SSD.

>a USB
>turn it into RAM
sometimes the stereotypes fit

Okay, thanks. I'll be looking up stuff about this. Sounds interesting.

Sure you can :ᓓ)

>not using SD cards as RAM when the great Lenovo already is
pic related

Readyboost is a scam.

USB flash drives, or any storage can be used as RAM extension and usually every OS does this naturally with disk drives (linux swap or windows page file). This is done mainly in case you run out of ram or put idle processes on disk to have more free RAM for active processes.

RAM is by magnitudes faster than data storage devices. Inversly using something like USB flash as "RAM" will overall slow down the computer by magnitudes too. Depending or the Software used it's sometimes okay doing so but for things like games it's completly useless.

That looks like a nice project.
Let me guess, C64 ram speed ?

once you fill up your 8gb and start writing onto the usb drive it will slow down your computer to about 1/1000th of the original speed

WHat if you have USB 3.0? Are the speeds going to be even close to bearable then?

Does anyone know where I can buy USBs that already have distros on them? Maybe a build your own contents USB site...

you can put swap there, but speed will be abysmal and it could run out of write cycles
not even the best internal ssd is remotely as fast as ram

>62627064
It's called making a "swap partition". It's easy to do on Linux, I have no idea how to do it on windows.

But it's not at all what you think it will do. It will slow you down to a crawl if you use enough RAM to make it turn to Swap.

Well... It kinda is. Technically if has a similar function.

I feel like I've seen this thread and every post in it before.

Readyboost holds it's function just fine, it's just that you have to have very destitute hardware to make any use of it.

My Dad's 7 year old $400 hp system gained massively in responsiveness after dropping in a fast 32gb USB drive on readyboost even though it already had 4gb RAM. The hardrive performance on that system was just fucked from the 7 year old win7 to win10 upgrade that was molested with malware a hundred times over. That thing used to take 2 hours to run ccleaner.

That system was 100% HDD bottleneck, the hardrive would just thrash forever and the PC would do nothing, with a readyboost USB drive it'd at least use the USB drive for scratch and free up the thrashing hardrive a tiny bit making things faster.

Still pointless though because I ended up buying a $27 60gb chink ssd to reinstall his shit to so the performance problem was actually solved, making that 32gb readyboost drive useless.

>Search
>Advanced system settings
>advanced tab
>performance settings
>advanced tab, make sure best performance for programs
>Change virtual memory
>custom size
????
>Set
>okokokokok restart, retard

Imagine being this dumb and still posting on Sup Forums as if you belong.
Now I think I understand why Sup Forums was lost to normalfags

deja vu?

Because people usually just download more RAM.

USB Sticks are slow as fuck, like 100 times slower than RAM

>the state of Sup Forums in 2017

>Well... It kinda is. Technically if has a similar function.
I have autism, so I'd go even further: USB flash drives are most definitely RAM.

Not DRAM, but still RAM.

>USB Sticks are slow as fuck, like 100 times slower than RAM

Only for bulk transfers. For random access, it's 1,000 to 10,000 times slower.

You're right... It did not occur to me, I just kept thinking about it as storage, but yeah it's RAM.