Firefox Quantum

why are you still using a slow browser, gee?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YIywpvHewc0&
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-style-tab/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because firefox 38esr wont remove support to my extension for a long time

Im using firefox 58 :^)

I don't. That's why I'm using Google Chrome which is 2x faster than Firefox 58 on the speedometer 2.0 benchmark.

I already use the fastest, user :^)

>t.safari user

just saw this. anyone want to shill to me?

ok

Any alternative to omnisidebar?

Firefox is slightly faster but it has zero addons enabled, chrome runs ublock and some other extensions. No reason to switch imo

great stuff, well done cuckzilla

the power of women with armpit hair :^)

Because furfox (((nightly))) rapes my laptop's battery life about twice as much as chrome.

How so? Have you found the reason? What's firefox doing to cause that?

higher cpu usage?

>Firefox Quantum
since when mozilla names ff versions

Safari is probably the best browser

I installed Firefox Nightly again.
Seems like Firefox will be relevant again.

Great job Mozilla

I'm hoping servo / browser.html will replace firefox

It's to signify that components are being changed under the hood.

This was the first major implemented part of the Quantum project.

>unironically using Chrome

I'm using Google Ultron :^)

It took me a minute to figure out which one was Firefox and which one was Chrome.

I don't care that much about which browser is faster in some synthetic JavaScript thread.

I have a older HTPC system which I mostly use to watch videos and light things. It's a quad core 2 GHz system. I can't play YouTube videos on it in 1080p in Firefox. The CPU monitor reveals that it's only using 100% of one core while trying to do it and since it's got horribly slow single-thread performance it just doesn't work.

Chromium isn't exactly efficient at it either, it loads all the cores at around 80% - but it does actually play YouTube videos at 1080p.

It's interesting to note that playing YouTube videos directly in mpv doesn't put more than perhaps 5% load on one CPU core because it'll use vdpau GPU hardware decoding. Neither Firefox or Chromium will utilize it (or pick the webm instead of the mp4 version?).

It's things like this that make Firefox a non-alternative.

Chrome still faster

can i run this while simultaneously running normalfirefox?

Because no Debian repos

>a browser with addons performs worse than a browser without addons
Your posts are irrelevant. Not to mention Firefox is now on par with Chrome in performance, but the difference is it has more features and better adblocking and element blocking. So Firefox is a superior browser anyway.

Octane is abandoned for a reason.

Firefox Nightly is pretty fast, seems fixed.

Current stable Firefox is dogshit and dies if you open more than 3 youtube videos.

Chrome is slowbloat.

Edge is edgy about folowing standards still. Classic Microsoft. No webM support for years. The October 2017 update finally adds webM support btw. Except...not for webM files with audio, because go fuck yourself.

I just updated and created a new profile to make sure there won't be any problems. It's working great, except I now have 200+ tabs because there isn't a tab groups extension yet for this.

If you install the Nightly it will install to a different folder by default. If you choose to install both, you should probably have separate profiles.

(You)

>unironically using frames

youtube.com/watch?v=YIywpvHewc0&
Chrome shills on suicide watch

>not using frames

I will literally never understand you '200+ tabs' types. If you're not using it immediately, just use bookmarks. Or Pocket. Or a random .txt file on your desktop. Anything at all to save your browser from frying itself.

>not using 4chanx

Do I need a quantum computer to install this?

Why is Sup Forums still stuck with VP8 garbage anyway? I tried out Edge for a while and this was literally the only site I ever had trouble with.

kek

why not both?

Tab groups allowed me to basically have multiple browser sessions inside one browser. Firefox doesn't load the tabs unless you first open them manually unlike Chrome.

Nope, just a fupa, dyed hair, and a blog

because I'm not an ayy lmao that can use grey folders for bookmarks

TREE STYLE TABS DROPPED
T
R
E
E

S
T
Y
L
E

T
A
B
S

quantum = webrender/servo/qcss/ect

I use FF Nightly. Is Quantum any better?

"quantum" is just what they're labeling the release of 57 to the stable branch.
If you're on nightly you already have all those improvements.

>implying aliums arent cool

its actually 57+ because 58 is now in nightly

ff dev edition(57) is part of the quantum branch too

>Rebranding Firefox Beta to Firefox Quantum
Mozilla sure loves rebranding their shit.

Acktually they rebranded 57-onwards to Quantum.

If you go to download Quantum, it just sends you to their builds page where Beta, Developer Edition, and Nightly all still exist. Attempting to rebrand Firefox at this point is a very pointless move when Servo is going to replace it eventually anyway.

Mine scores 90, while chromium scores 120 and Iridium scores 134. All only have uBlock Origin installed.

thank you based mozilla

You can work around the problem. If you go to about:config you can enable legacy extensions. I'm on Nightly and tab groups, ublock and more is working perfectly. Finally Firefox is good again. Now I'm enjoying speed, tab groups, ublock and containers. I really like seperating tabs with containers since I'm also a tab hoarder.

Chrome quantum when?

>being this invested in the botnet
How much are they paying you?

Tab groups "works" with Nighly. You can't just open the options page.

I just want to know if VimFX will work with newer versions of Firefox. I'm not sure if I can live without it at this point.

brave is better

F57 here its dosent fucken m8 sorry for that

>firefox 10 released 2012
>firefox 60 now
jesus wtf happened?

the last nonbullshit versioning was in the 3.0 era

Increasing the major release version number with nearly every incremental update. It started after Firefox 4.0 iirc.

It's so fucking good. I like the nightly logo more than the old Nightly logo (and the real one) too.

They wanted the chrome market

They didn't realize that date-based version systems exist.

What did they mean by this?

>people unironically using furryfox in current year
There are literally zero reasons to use it over Chromium unless you're a RAMlet or berrycuck.

Except there's still extended support releases which would make date based versioning confusing as fuck.

Ubuntu has LTS releases and it's fine.

I stopped using firefox yesterday because the lag was so bad. Dropped in favour of safari, which seems to be able to handle five tabs loading at the same time. Firefox is also slow on my windows box but I can't bring myself to use IE and we all know chrome is a botnet. Opera doesn't handle Sup Forums's inline image expansion very well, so I dropped that too.

Its version numbers are just vague enough that people don't even realize they're version numbers. Plus there's only two a year. Firefox goes through like 8 a year

I'm just saying it's getting really dumb. They're gonna get to 100.

I think 5 tabs is pretty reasonable, and firefox grinds to a halt if I try to load them all at the same time.

I tried downloading it and it took me to a page with developer and nightly so I just download nightly instead

Noone cares about benchmark faggotry

I use Firefox nightly and it's not slow at all, regardless of what benchmarks say.

Nightly still freezes like garbage when I've opened a bunch of stuff. I'm using chromium right now with all the same addons installed and it's much faster.

Shame because I prefer FF on pretty much everything else but I can't deal with having to restart the browser every 20 minutes.

>Shame because I prefer FF on pretty much everything else but I can't deal with having to restart the browser every 20 minutes.
kek, this is an actual problem with the quantum update
Every six hours I have to shift f2 and restart due to the input lag that builds up. Didn't happen prior to this major update though.

>doesn't support HTTPS Everywhere, Decentraleyes, CanvasBlocker, or VimFx
no thanks

> Try new Firefox Beta
> The interface looks like dogshit
> Huge ass whitespace on both sides
> BUT IT'S FAST!
> It also has no addons

So why the FUCK WOULD I USE THIS PIECE OF SHIT?
It's now fast and lost ALL it's features.

>muh addons

2010 was seven years ago guys.

But then why would anyone use Firefox?
It has a shitty Android client, so sync is useless. KeePassHTTP is broken (thanks to muh version number fetish).

And all the other shit (VideoDownloadHelper, DownThemAll, HTTPS everywhere...) is dead. Everything is fucking dead. It's now equal to a newly compiled blank Blink build. Or maybe even that has more features.

Good fucking job, Mozilla!

>And all the other shit (VideoDownloadHelper, DownThemAll, HTTPS everywhere...) is dead

They can be rewritten/re-engineered user. Holy shit it's not the end of the world.

>speed is the only thing that matters
kys
the difference in realtime usage is nearly nonpercievable

>DownThemAll
>totally doesn't need features that webext will not provide
and that's why there are equivalent alternatives already, oh wait no there aren't

But they can't be. That's the point. XUL gave devs the capability to write powerful addons and they took that away. Now only pure "WebAddons" can be written which are basically just dumber-than-Chrome addons.

And, these Chrome style addons are already written/done for Chrome. They won't rewrite them from ground up again just to please Mozilla. (And then they just decide to throw it out again.)

For now, there is Waterfox, Pale Moon and Firefox ESR.

jesus fucking christ the new firefox beta is just so fucking fast on my old 1.7ghz non-turbo i5 ultrabook.
its like i got a new prosessor its that fast.

ignore me, just filtering shill threads

>Now only pure "WebAddons" can be written which are basically just dumber-than-Chrome addons.
wat
Can Chrome even have tree style tabs?

If you check github the guy working on it hasn't opted to make a port. He's just pointing people to vimium-FF

>Huge ass whitespace on both sides

why can't I just have my side tabs on the side? Why do I also have to have them on top?

that font rendering is absolute crap.

ok

>Huge ass whitespace on both sides
>click on customize
>remove the whitespace

>current state of Sup Forums posters

don't know where to post this but i want chromium tabs to work like ff's (no shrinking, horizontal scrolling if you take up more width than your screen)

is this possible?

No.