I have a module in college that requires us to use Linux but they want to steer us in the direction of using Ubuntu...

I have a module in college that requires us to use Linux but they want to steer us in the direction of using Ubuntu. I know all too well how Sup Forums feels about Ubuntu and I'm not personally a fan either.

What is a better alternative to Ubuntu which is much the same? i.e. Lubuntu

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just use Ubuntu.

Just use Debian if Ubuntu bothers your autism. Or just install a server variant and then build your own DE, you can rice any Linux.

>but they want to steer us in the direction of using Ubuntu.

Sounds like a great idea as an intro distro.

>What is a better alternative to Ubuntu which is much the same? i.e. Lubuntu

Lubuntu is ubuntu with another DE. You could use Mint or any of these should be pretty much exactly the same package manager and that sort of thing

wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives

For all practical purposes that a noob will meet these are all the same. You can still use apt-get and have the usual packages available. Debian IS another distro that Ubuntu is based on. Debian also have apt as package manager so you can likely follow the same instructions, but possibly there might be extra steps involved to add non-free repositories and that sort of thing.

fpbp

Use Linux mint cinnamon.
Its my favourite distro and DE.

There is nothing wrong with Ubuntu. It's an excellent distro. I have installed Ubuntu, Mint, Solus, Debian and Slackware and currently use Debian stable as my main OS. But Ubuntu is awesome. I wouldn't knock it.

Same here... I have installed many different distros and I have nothing to prove and I don't have much philosophical problems with ubuntu. It's nice to have an install where everything needed comes out of the box.

Ubuntu Mate

>caring this much about what Sup Forums thinks
If that's the case then just use Xubuntu or linux mint xfce.

xfce is, objectively, the best desktop environment.

Scientists at NASA use stock Ubuntu. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for you and your college. Or do you think Sup Forums knows better?
If your autism is overwhelming, use Xubuntu minimal install. Great flavor, not bloated and good mixture between user friendliness and complexity to learn Linux inside out.

Debian, if they insist you use Ubuntu. Lubuntu is probably the way to go

At my uni they make us use xubuntu

lol, you're saying, that we should use ubuntu, because some morons at a shitty place, who claim that the earth is round and that they made it to the moon, use it too? wp

except GNOME ubuntu

Ubuntu uses GNOME for Unity

Just fucking use Ubuntu.

Whatever program you are going to use, there is probably an ubuntu version that was already tested and proven to work.

If you install mint or arch, it won't be as easy.

>If you install mint or arch, it won't be as easy.
Mint is based on ubuntu you idiot.

Oh you wanna impress unemployed Sup Forums instead of graduating and getting a job? Koolaid.

>College wants you to use Ubuntu
>Sup Forums had an opinion on it, better check with them first
Holy shit, just use ubuntu. You're not using it as your personal daily driver, you're using it for a course. Stop making these threads to have people who use Linux fight each other over which distro is better

Frenchfag get out. This board is for white people only.

Use macOS and spin up Ubuntu in a docker container if you really need it.

Stop being a faggot and use ubuntu. Only reason a lot of people on Sup Forums hate it is autism. Watching anime on your ThinkPad with Arch is different than doing actual school stuff with your class. Just use Debian if you want to be a 1337 haXeR but too retarded to use a real distro and criss cross the software you're assigned

Xubuntu, Zorin Lite, Debian with Xfce.

STOP BEING A FUCKING AUTIST AND JUST GO WITH UBUNTU

Ubuntu is fine in this case. Just use it. Or if you want to be a special snowflake, just do what this user said,
And use Debian. It's at least in the same family as Ubuntu.

install ubuntu so you can follow along with their tutorials

install xmonad on ubuntu so you can seem ultra edgy while doing absolute noob shit.

This. Faggot.

If you're an experienced linux user, just keep using whatever the fuck you've been using so far.
If you're new to the game, just go with an Ubuntu derivative (Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc). If you go with another distro, there might be some subtle problems, like packages being older on debian stable, or some config files being located in a different folder.
It would have been useful if you had told us how experienced you are with linux and what the module is about.

I'd have to agree with this guy

Use linux mint with ubuntu wallpaper, orange icons and black theme.

But if you have to use ubuntu don't use 17 and 17+. There is lots of problems with this version. Use 16.04 just works perfectly good.

This is a good point. Definitely use 16.04